PDA

View Full Version : A Little Help for Michael Anthony

bueno bob
06-10-2006, 01:47 PM
Since Sammy says Mike will be doing a "bass solo" with this summer's "Other Half" tour, I thought it might be beneficial if I, Bueno Bob, gave Mike some pointers.

Mike, click here:

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/cqG9oo_w4MU"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/cqG9oo_w4MU" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Pay attention right at the 2:30 mark (or thereabouts).

Now go lock yourself in the bedroom for a year or so and learn how to play your fuckin' instrument, asshole.

:D

m_dixon1984
06-10-2006, 04:42 PM
Ah, Racer X, a blast from the past. John/Juan Alderete is damn good and bass player would do well to take a page or two from his book.

I suspect the Other Half solo will just be same one bass player has done for 30 years. I've never seen much of a change the six or seven times I've seen him play it and there's no reason to think he'll change it now.

M

MK5150
06-10-2006, 05:15 PM
To be honest, I'm sure Michael Antony could play technically if he wanted to, but the first six albums to me sound fine the way they are, and if he tried to experiment and play lead parts Eddie's fills wouldn't work as well

DrMaddVibe
06-10-2006, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by MK5150
To be honest, I'm sure Michael Antony could play technically if he wanted to, but the first six albums to me sound fine the way they are, and if he tried to experiment and play lead parts Eddie's fills wouldn't work as well

That's a joke right?

That fat squealing mullet with a bad beard doesn't know any other chords than an open E string thump!

Eddie wrote his parts for him!

ThrillsNSpills
06-10-2006, 07:43 PM
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/iOW_-OESnq0"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/iOW_-OESnq0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Blazing sweep picking harmonies on Scarified, also by Racer X,
Enjoy.

bueno bob
06-10-2006, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by m_dixon1984
Ah, Racer X, a blast from the past. John/Juan Alderete is damn good and bass player would do well to take a page or two from his book.

I suspect the Other Half solo will just be same one bass player has done for 30 years. I've never seen much of a change the six or seven times I've seen him play it and there's no reason to think he'll change it now.

M

85% of everything I know about bass I learned from Juan Alderete...after hearing the "Second Heat" and "Live Extreme Volume" albums, he pretty much became one of my three all time favorite bassists...

I can't say enough good things about him...

Terry
06-10-2006, 11:18 PM
Anthony obviously is capable beyond the RWTD intro, but who wants to hear a bass solo?

About the only decent ones I've heard are the one in My Generation, Cliff Burton and Whiplash, and anything by Geezer Butler (for sheer Tapworthiness).

Even if CVH reunited, i'd just as soon not see another bass solo, or a drum solo, or even an unaccompanied EVH guitar solo, to be quite honest.

Play some fuckin' SONGS...leave jacking off with your instrument to the privacy of the tune-up room.

DrMaddVibe
06-11-2006, 08:06 AM
Originally posted by Terry
Anthony obviously is capable beyond the RWTD intro, but who wants to hear a bass solo?

About the only decent ones I've heard are the one in My Generation, Cliff Burton and Whiplash, and anything by Geezer Butler (for sheer Tapworthiness).

Even if CVH reunited, i'd just as soon not see another bass solo, or a drum solo, or even an unaccompanied EVH guitar solo, to be quite honest.

Play some fuckin' SONGS...leave jacking off with your instrument to the privacy of the tune-up room.

Throw in Chris Squire...Flea and Jaco and you're my brother from another mother.

binnie
06-11-2006, 02:45 PM
Bass solo's generally suck...

The_KiD
06-11-2006, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by binnie
Bass solo's generally suck...

I could not agree more...

Cheers Binnie...

KiD

Terry
06-11-2006, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by DrMaddVibe
Throw in Chris Squire...Flea and Jaco and you're my brother from another mother.

Squire was/is good...Flea and Jaco P are outstanding.

Soul Chicken lickin' funk thumb-poppin'-tastic.

Hardrock69
06-12-2006, 09:30 AM
I seriously enjoy Billy Sheehan's bass solos.

He actively shows off incredible technique in a flash-bang rock bass format.

the bass player pummels his bass, perhaps will even toss it on the stage, kick it and then spit on it (like I have seen him do several times before). While it is amusing once or 2wice, it soon becomes the perfect time to go get a soft drink at the concession stand.

Much like any entire set performed by van hagar.

Terry
06-12-2006, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by Hardrock69
I seriously enjoy Billy Sheehan's bass solos.

He actively shows off incredible technique in a flash-bang rock bass format.

the bass player pummels his bass, perhaps will even toss it on the stage, kick it and then spit on it (like I have seen him do several times before). While it is amusing once or 2wice, it soon becomes the perfect time to go get a soft drink at the concession stand.

Much like any entire set performed by van hagar.

And a bass solo that Dave choreographed for him back in the day, at that!

Vinnie Velvet
06-12-2006, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by Terry
And a bass solo that Dave choreographed for him back in the day, at that!

Exactly!

Sheep and Hagar fans don't believe it, but it was Dave's idea for Mike to add all these sound effects and run around the stage like a madman, pounding his bass, etc.

I think it was around 1980 where they wanted Mike to have a solo spot, but since Mikey was no Billy Sheenan, Dave gave him that idea -- and the bass player has used it ever since.

Vinnie Velvet
06-12-2006, 04:56 PM
Awesome Racer X clips by the way, Bob!

BruinJer
06-12-2006, 08:03 PM
I have a friend who is that good, if not better...

Seshmeister
06-12-2006, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by ThrillsNSpills
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/iOW_-OESnq0"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/iOW_-OESnq0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Blazing sweep picking harmonies on Scarified, also by Racer X,
Enjoy.

Thanks this reminded me that I am due to book a checkup at my dentist.