PDA

View Full Version : neck-thru vs bolt on

sadaist
06-11-2006, 02:08 PM
My buddy had a BC Rich Warlock that the neck was part of the body. I don't know if it was one solid piece, or if it was the neck-thru type. It was very awesome. What is the real difference between the 2 styles? Does it really make a noticeable difference?

mako_kimura
06-11-2006, 03:24 PM
The only difference between bolt on, set neck, and neck thru is access to the upper frets..and what you prefer. In my opinion, I'd rather take bolt ons, since I've been playing a Squier lefty Strat for lord knows how long

indeedido
06-11-2006, 03:46 PM
You can get more sustain with a neck through. More mass equals more sustain. The strings can resonate better. I prefer the bolt on, necks sometimes have a tendancy to warp over time. Yes there is a truss rod to adjust, but in extreme cases it won't work. Also, it gives you the option to change necks and you can get a different headstock.

sadaist
06-11-2006, 06:10 PM
What about the wood for the neck? The guitars I've had were the dark wood (rosewood?). But I also see a lot of the light colored wood. Is one faster than the other, or is it just for appearances?

BrownSound1
06-11-2006, 07:04 PM
I prefer maple fingerboards as a general rule, not so much for a difference in playing, but for tone. Maple has a brighter tone than rosewood.

Now as far as the neck-thru vs bolt-on debate...I don't know. I've never owned a neck-thru. I've owned bolt-on and glued in (Les Pauls). Bolt on is by far the easiest of them all to adjust or replace if need be.

Nitro Express
06-11-2006, 11:54 PM
I think neck through guitars aren't all that they are made to be. Yeah you get than nice smooth neck to body transission but you have to glue the two body wings onto the neck extension. Those glue joints affect the guitar tone just like the neck joint can. Pluse if the neck is maple the guitar will sound thinner and less meaty.

I really don't think you lose as much sustain or tone through a bolt on neck joint as people say. Make sure the joint it tight with no airgaps or paint in there and you would be amazed at the sustain you can get. Plus you can get a solid wood body.

In my experience a solid swamp ash body with a good bolt on neck joint can kick ass and sustain like crazy with a good bridge setup.

Hardrock69
06-12-2006, 09:37 AM
I own a pair of 1986 JB Player Neck-thru-body strats.

I love 'em.

They are both as heavy as a Les Paul, and my main one has a really dark tone, perfect for rhythm chunking.

I prefer at least a set-neck.

Fenders are all well and good, but I just have always preferred set-neck or neck-thru guitars.

mako_kimura
06-15-2006, 09:57 AM
As for the fingerboard thing, my Strat has a rosewood fingerboard, so it has a pretty good tone. Maple's tone is a bit fatter than rosewood. If you want a different tone, try an ebony fingerboard

Hardrock69
06-15-2006, 11:00 AM
Both my JB Players have rosewood fingerboards.

Both my Fenders have maple fingerboards.

I prefer rosewood.

Nitro Express
06-16-2006, 04:17 PM
I have a 72 Strat reissue with a maple neck and the thing sustains like a motherfucker. It's got the three bolt neck with the micro tilt adjuster. I've done nothing to it. It's got the factory setup but for some reason, this guitar will sustain notes unbelievably.

Hendrix sometimes had Strats that would sustain notes well. He played a white Strat in the Berkley video that could scream.

I would say, Les Pauls are more consistant than Strats and that probably goes for the neck through body guitars as well, but a good Strat is an amazing guitar. I actually hated them until I got a good one.

Hardrock69
06-19-2006, 12:35 AM
Yeah that version of Johnny B. Good was the single greatest performane of that song in the history of mankind....

Nitro Express
06-24-2006, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by Hardrock69
Yeah that version of Johnny B. Good was the single greatest performane of that song in the history of mankind....

No doubt, but that white Fender he was playing was a good one and you can hear it. I just went into Guitar Center one day and played everything they had Strat wise and walked away with my 70's reissue because it sounded unbelievable. I love it! What's funny is it's Olympic White, so there might be some mojo that Olympic White Stratocasters sound the best. LOL!