PDA

View Full Version : Roethlisberger Involved In Motorcycle Accident

Figs
06-12-2006, 12:23 PM
http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/news/9356067/detail.html#

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

PITTSBURGH -- Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger was injured in a motorcycle accident on Monday morning.

The Steelers confirmed the accident for Channel 4 Action News.

The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review said the accident happened on Second Avenue near the 10th Street Bridge.

A witness told Channel 4 Action News that Roethlisberger went over the handlebars, hit the windshield of another vehicle and then hit the ground.

Roethlisberger was not wearing a helmet, according to the paper.

Police have closed down the bridge, Second Avenue and the Armstrong Tunnels.

Roethlisberger was taken to Mercy Hospital. There is no word on the extent of his injuries.

Refresh this page for updates as they become available.

Unchainme
06-12-2006, 12:26 PM
Ouch!

He might not be back for a while, Which is a shame because who the fuck else do they have at QB?

St. Pierre?
Maddox?
Biatch? (I like calling him that.)

Flash Bastard
06-12-2006, 12:29 PM
His coach had warned him that this would eventually happen, but Ben fancies himself a bit of a risk taker.

Hope the dudes OK, it's a fucked up way to end a short, brilliant career.

DlocRoth
06-12-2006, 12:30 PM
That's fucked up.

ALinChainz
06-12-2006, 12:31 PM
Yep, just posted this at my site as well:

Steelers | Roethlisberger injured in motorcycle accident
Mon, 12 Jun 2006 09:11:04 -0700

KDKA.com reports Pittsburgh Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger (head) has been injured in a motorcycle accident around 11:30 am Monday, June 12. The team has confirmed Roethlisberger was injured. He was not wearing a helmet when he flew over the handlebars and hit his head on the windshield of a car, according to an eyewitness. The witness added Roethlisberger seemed groggy and was bleeding from his head, but was able to say his first name. He has been taken to Mercy Hospital, but officials are not commenting on his condition.

http://www.kffl.com/hotw/

We should hold off on any assumptions, we don't know the extent.

Unchainme
06-12-2006, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by Flash Bastard
His coach had warned him that this would eventually happen, but Ben fancies himself a bit of a risk taker.

Hope the dudes OK, it's a fucked up way to end a short, brilliant career.

yup, My bet is that he'll be back though, This is weird thing to happen to the guy, sounds like something that would happen ONLY to cleveland, Though probably with our luck they'll turn him into a half-robot and he'll kick our ass all the more harder.

Was Winlsow II wearing a helmet when he had his crash though?

This season has just got a hell of a lot more intresting in the AFC North, The Browns might auctually have a shot to beat the steelers this year.

Flash Bastard
06-12-2006, 12:38 PM
Just saw some close-up video of the bike on FOX. The front end is FUBARed.

Unchainme
06-12-2006, 12:43 PM

here is some pics

sadaist
06-12-2006, 12:48 PM
Don't they usually have a clause in their contracts voiding payment of it if they ride motorcycles? Might be a battle brewing here. Hope the dude is ok, but maybe out for 1 season. Helps out my Chargers.

Little Texan
06-12-2006, 01:48 PM
When are these dipshit multi-million dollar athletes going to learn that it's not the best idea to be riding a motorcycle in the offseason? That said, hope the dude's ok.

Little Texan
06-12-2006, 01:50 PM
Bradshaw's going to be saying "told ya so".

WARF
06-12-2006, 02:01 PM
Just posted a few days ago... BIKE CONTROVERSY!

Minicamp Opens: Big Ben Addresses Bike Controversy

PITTSBURGH -- "Minicamp Cowher" kicked off Friday morning at the Steelers' practice facility on the South Side.

It's the first chance for coaches to work with rookie tight end Heath Miller and the rest of the players selected in April's NFL draft.

But most of the media attention went to quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, who was seen posing helmetless on a motorcycle in published photos this week.

Even though he got a lecture from coach Bill Cowher, Roethlisberger won't be getting off his ride.

"He talked about being a risk taker, and I'm not really a risk taker," Roethlisberger said. "I'm pretty conservative and laid back. I'll just continue to be careful. I told him we don't ever ride alone, we always ride in a group of people, and I think it makes it even more safe."

Roethlisberger said he only rides in groups, which he said is safer than going alone, and will decide for himself whether he wants to wear a helmet.

"Obviously, Pennsylvania doesn't think people need to," he said, referring to a state law requiring helmets that was amended in 2003.

Roethlisberger's motorcycle pictures surfaced just days after Cleveland tight end Kellen Winslow had a bike accident that will keep him out of action for a while.

Cowher said he doesn't condone Roethlisberger's off-field motorcycle activity.

"It (a pro football career) is a very small time in your life, and you've got to be very careful. You can see it documented with Kellen Winslow," Cowher said. "Not just in riding motorcycles, but where you go and who you associate with."

All players reported to the minicamp. Most players will remain in town through mid-June for voluntary coaching sessions.

Two practices were held Friday. Two more will be held on Saturday, followed by a final one on Sunday.

Figs
06-12-2006, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by sadaist
Don't they usually have a clause in their contracts voiding payment of it if they ride motorcycles?

Yeah, I think most pro contracts these days specifically prohibit riding motorcycles. Either way it's a damn shame.

WARF
06-12-2006, 03:18 PM
If people who drive have to wear seatbelts...
Then motorcycle drivers should have to wear helmets...
Pennsylvania is stupid for ending the law in 2003.

POJO_Risin
06-12-2006, 03:24 PM
I'm fucking dumbfounded that people are talking about Ben being out helping their fucking teams...

moderately sickening if you ask me...

1. Ben is a fucking dumbass...I'll bring up why in a few minutes...

2. No idea how serious it is...although the reports out of Pittsburgh are that there's a serious concussion...and a broken jaw...that they are repairing...

but reports are sketchy...

here's a report from about 10 minutes ago:

POJO_Risin
06-12-2006, 03:27 PM
Roethlisberger hurt in motorcycle crash
Monday, June 12, 2006

By Michael A. Fuoco, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger was injured when his motorcycle was involved in a crash on Second Avenue near the 10th Street Bridge today.

Dr. Larry Jones of Mercy Hospital addressed the media at 1:25 p.m. and said that Roethlisberger was in serious but stable condition and was undergoing surgery for unspecified injuries.

Jones said that Roethlisberger was talking and cognizant of the situation.

Roethlisberger was injured shortly after 11:15 a.m. at the Second Avenue side of the bridge near the Armstrong Tunnel.

One Steelers source said Roethlisberger was in surgery for a broken jaw, an injury that can take approximately seven weeks to heal. The Steelers season starts in 12 weeks.

Retired halfback Jerome Bettis, in California today, was keeping in touch with some people in the organization and said the reports he's received are that Roethlisberger will be fine.

"First, it's good to see he's not in bad shape, as a friend, and to make sure he's OK," said Bettis. "Another good thing is it is minor enough that it shouldn't affect him on the field this fall."

Steelers' spokesman David Lockett would only confirm that Roethlisberger was involved in the accident and is being treated at Mercy Hospital.

An eyewitness said she saw a motorcycle headed outbound on Second Avenue as a car was coming inbound. The car, a Chrysler New Yorker with Maine plates, made a left turn toward the bridge in front of the cyclist. The motorcycle hit the car and the operator flew into the windshield and then hit the ground.

The witness said she went to the aid of the motorcyclist and asked his name. He said it was "Ben" and tried to get up, but she told him to stay still.

The victim was bleeding heavily from a head injury, and blood pooled on the pavement. The witness said he was not wearing a helmet.

Roethlisberger has been known to refuse to wear a helmet when operating his cycle.

The entire front end of the motorcycle, was destroyed. The car sustained damage on the passenger side door.

Sandra Ford, a Homewood writer and artist, was waiting for the bus on 10th Street about 11 a.m. She saw a rugged-looking white man with curly hair on his motorcycle driving along the avenue heading toward the 10th street bridge.

In the opposite direction, the Chrysler was approaching and preparing to make the turn.

"I kept waiting for the motorcyclist to slow down," she said. "He never stopped and just plowed into the car."

She said she believes Roethlisberger, who wasn't speeding, but going at a pretty good clip, never saw the car. "He had to be looking somewhere else, he just sailed across the intersection."

It was a crazy scene, said Ford, still shaken from the accident two hours after it happened. At the time of the accident, she did not know it was the Steeler's quarterback. She found out when she got home and saw the TV news.

Ford, said that she heard a crunching sounds and saw Roethlisberger fly from his motorcycle, which left a pretty big dent in the car, said Ms. Ford.

Afterward, Roethlisberger tumbled off the car and lay still in the street. "He lay so still, I thought he had died."

About 11:23, Ford began taking notes and talking to the driver of the car.

By this time, the driver had gotten from the car and asked Roethliesberger to remain still, he was trying to move.

"His face was all bloody. I saw blood pooling under his head."

Pittsburgh Police spokeswoman Tammy Ewin said that the department would issue a release in regards to the accident specifics around 3 p.m. today, but would not have information on Roethlisberger's condition. Ewin said that information would come from Steelers officials.

Police commander Thomas Stangrecki said that an accident reconstruction team would investigate the cause of the accident.

Ewen also stressed that accident investigations can take "weeks, not hours" to complete.

Steelers coach Bill Cowher addressed the issue with Roethlisberger in May 2005 after Cleveland Browns tight end Kellen Winslow's accident riding a Suzuki GSX-R750 in suburban Cleveland. Winslow hit a curb in a parking lot and was ejected from his bike, injuring his knee.

"It's one of those things, where he talked about being a risk-taker and I'm not really a risk-taker, I'm pretty conservative and laid back," Roethlisberger told the Post-Gazette. "So the big thing is just be careful and that's what we do. I think every person that rides is careful. That's the biggest thing, I'll just continue to be careful. I told him we never ride alone we always ride in a group of people, and I think that makes it more safe."

Winslow's contract forbade him from riding a motorcycle, Roethlisberger's contract does not prohibit him from riding motorcycles, even helmetless. The standard NFL contract prohibits risky behavior, but what constitutes risky behavior? Pennsylvania repealed its mandatory helmet law in 2003.

"I think that's my own discretion," Roethlisberger said about not wearing a helmet when he rides. "Obviously, Pennsylvania doesn't think people need to."

During an interview last year, Steelers Hall-of-Fame quarterback Terry Bradshaw offered one piece of advice for Roethlisberger about his motorcycle.

"Ride it when you retire. That's the way I feel. Those things are dangerous."

POJO_Risin
06-12-2006, 03:28 PM
http://www.post-gazette.com/images4/20060613sm_benwreck02_450.jpg

WARF
06-12-2006, 03:36 PM
A couple miles an hour faster... or a turn a lil more to the right...
You have your football version of Roberto Clemente...
Fucking Idiot!

WARF
06-12-2006, 03:38 PM
Yup... he should very easily be dead right now...
24 years old... and a superbowl...
and gone within' a split second...

VHdamaco
06-12-2006, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by WARF
A couple miles an hour faster... or a turn a lil more to the right...
You have your football version of Roberto Clemente...
Fucking Idiot!

big difference though between him and clemente if i remember right...

clemente was all about helping people, and ben is mostly about himself...

ben is still an idiot though

POJO_Risin
06-12-2006, 03:42 PM
I had a motorcycle when I was 24...and I'm sure I did more stupid fucking things with my rice burner...than most of these guys...

and it does look like he was riding normally...not sure if the car pulled out...or if he just wasn't paying attention...

of course...I never rode without a helmet...

POJO_Risin
06-12-2006, 03:43 PM
Ben is all about himself?

When did all this shit start?

Look...the dude was riding his motorcycle without his helmet...

thousands do it every day...

doubt he does it again...or doubt the Steelers will let him...

WARF
06-12-2006, 03:47 PM
Riding without a helmet and jeopardizing your life... your football career... and letting down your fans/teammates is the biggest act of selfishness I have ever seen.

More Selfish than anything Barry Bonds has ever done...

How the hell could you been so stupid?
What's the big fucking deal with wearing a helmet?
Even ILL MITCH!! wears a helmet... and he only skateboards!!!

WARF
06-12-2006, 03:51 PM
I'm not saying Big Ben is a selfish person.
But when your gettin' paid millions and millions of dollars...
You need to put safety first...
And Pennsylvania needs to being back the helmet amendment.
They had it for what... 35 years... now it's optional to wear a helmet.
It's NOT optional to wear a seat belt...
Maybe they should make seatbelts optional too...
Dumbasses!

POJO_Risin
06-12-2006, 03:51 PM
Holy fuck...did you just compare Roeth to Bonds?

WARF...c'mon dude...

Selfish for sure...

but don't connect two totally unrelated things...

Roeth is 24...

c'mon man...you don't remember thinking you were going to live forever?

POJO_Risin
06-12-2006, 03:54 PM
I think it was 35 years...

the funny thing about it is that no matter how safe you are...you can never take into account what the other person is going to do...

I'll bet you we find out that the car pulled out illegally in front of him...

Guitar Shark
06-12-2006, 03:57 PM
Even ILL MITCH!! wears a helmet... and he only skateboards!!!

LMFAO... :D

WARF
06-12-2006, 03:58 PM
LOL
I know that would light a fire under your ass...
Ben is not anything near the pompous asshole Bonds...
But Big Ben is the biggest fucking bonehead of the year...
Wasn't there even an ESPN segment last year.
About Big Ben not wearing a helmet?
What's the big fucking deal... WEAR A HELMET!
Not only to save your life... but the millions of fans...
Who pay their money... to watch the steelers win the superbowl.

Now if Barry Bonds said, "I don't wear seatbelts, cuz it's wrinkles my clothes..."
And dies in an accident...
That's a totally different scenerio!

WARF
06-12-2006, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by POJO_Risin

c'mon man...you don't remember thinking you were going to live forever?

Well if this isn't a HUGE fucking wake-up call...
I don't know what is...
He better not get on a motorbike a again...
It would be like Eddie puffing cigarettes on a golf course...
After being diagnosed with cancer...

POJO_Risin
06-12-2006, 04:01 PM
Well...I can say this is tremendously ironic...to say the least...

I know that we had this discussion last year...with Winslow...

about Roeth...

POJO_Risin
06-12-2006, 04:03 PM
Shit dude...you know what he'll be saying...

"I hope to get on a motorcycle as soon as I can..."

and I'm sure I know what Cowher and Rooney will be saying...

of course...this is getting ahead of ourselves...

if they rushed him to surgery...there has to be some severe injuries...

it could be a moot point...

WARF
06-12-2006, 04:19 PM
This just in...
Ben Roethlisberger told steeler coach Cowher he is going to play the upcoming 2007 football season without a helmet...

Unchainme
06-12-2006, 04:22 PM
This just in...
Ben Roethlisberger told steeler coach Cowher he is going to play the upcoming 2007 football season without a helmet...

:D

Guitar Shark
This just in...
Ben Roethlisberger told steeler coach Cowher he is going to play the upcoming 2007 football season ithout a helmet...

WARF, you're on a roll today dude...

Hilarious stuff.

WARF
lol :D

Brett
06-12-2006, 04:29 PM
His career is defiinitely over. What a waste.

WARF
06-12-2006, 04:32 PM
http://www.illmitch.com/Images/Splash/CD---StillMitch2.jpg

Ben's motorcycle is fast and danger!

Mr. Vengeance
06-12-2006, 04:38 PM
Fuck him! He goes out on a motorcycle without a helmet, and now I'm supposed to care that he got racked???? Next time maybe he'll remember the taste of tempered glass when he gets his fucking lame brain on a motorcycle.....

I got no patience for stupidity.

POJO_Risin
06-12-2006, 04:42 PM
What report are you seeing that says his career is over?

POJO_Risin
06-12-2006, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Vengeance

I got no patience for stupidity.

lmfao...Vengeance...

I could go places with this comment...;)

WARF
06-12-2006, 04:48 PM
If my memory is correct wasn't there a jet player who lost his career from a motorcycle accident in the mid 90's... can't remember who...
It was a safety or cornerback I believe...

Unchainme
06-12-2006, 04:49 PM
His career is not over, Now If he was playing with the Browns and he pulled the same thing, The curse would make his career end. But because he is in another city, and the city is our rival, than he'll be alright. :).

WARF
06-12-2006, 04:52 PM
So if Ben misses the season...
Who do they trade for a QB?
I can't imagine the offense being run by Maddox or Batch...
Who is available?
Jeff Garcia...

POJO_Risin
06-12-2006, 04:54 PM
I don't know...my first guess is that they'll more than likely go with Batch...

Maddox is gone...isn't he?...

if not...they'll go with both...

my god...you don't think they'd call Kordell do you?...lmfao...surely not...

POJO_Risin
06-12-2006, 04:56 PM
I keep seeing injuries to his knees...that's something to think about for sure...if he tore shit in both his knees...he could be done...

lots of damage to his face...

and I'm reading now that there are plastic surgeons involved...

WARF
06-12-2006, 04:57 PM
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/afp/20060612/capt.sge.fxd75.120606202326.photo00.photo.default-312x450.jpg

Is this the same bike?

POJO_Risin
06-12-2006, 05:01 PM
Here's the latest report I've found...

Sources: Ben Injured Head, Face
(KDKA) PITTSBURGH Sources tell KDKA that Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger broke his jaw, fractured facial bones, suffered lacerations to the front and back of his head and sprained both his knees in a motorcycle accident this morning.

Both injuries to his knees, however, are not believed to be serious.

Roethlisberger also lost teeth in the accident.

This afternoon, doctors at Mercy Hospital reported that he was listed in "serious, but stable condition" and was undergoing surgery early this afternoon.

At this point, the hospital has not yet given another update on his condition.

POJO_Risin
06-12-2006, 05:02 PM
The colors look right WARF...looking for a pic now...

Unchainme
06-12-2006, 05:02 PM
I don't know...my first guess is that they'll more than likely go with Batch...

Maddox is gone...isn't he?...

if not...they'll go with both...

my god...you don't think they'd call Kordell do you?...lmfao...surely not...

Slash! lol :).

maddox is still available as is Fiedler, and Kerry Collins

But probably with y'alls luck, you guys will find some kid from the Europe league who will kick our asses.

ALinChainz
06-12-2006, 05:03 PM
They are getting ready to do away with the helmet law in Michigan also.

Dumb move in my opinion. The people that drive up from Indiana bitch about it all the time.

Ben should be selfish and think about wearing a helemt while playing if he feels the need to ride a cycle, period.

DO what you want when you retire, don't jeopardize your future and your family's, obviously athletes of this magnitude and financial bracket care for MANY family members, it's just natural.

He's on his rookie deal and being taken where he was, it wasn't in the ballpark of Manning or Rivers, not that I know of.

And with what he's done thus far, you know Ben's next deal is going to be MONSTER. He should be more careful.

POJO_Risin
06-12-2006, 05:04 PM
Well...the rest of the team isn't bad...so I don't really care who they get...

Fiedler might be the best pick...of all those players...

who knows though...

WARF
06-12-2006, 05:06 PM
Jay fucking Fiedler... no way...
I'd take Kerry Collins over him anyday...
But I can't see him in a steelers uniform...
Jeff Garcia... I could see as a Pitt QB...

Did Neil O' Donnell retire yet?

POJO_Risin
06-12-2006, 05:07 PM
I don't think you'll have anyone arguing with you Al...

alls I'm saying is...it's damn easy to say now that I'm in my mid-30's...

I know when I bought my motorcycle when I was 22...nobody wanted me too...

granted...I wasn't married...and didn't play pro football...

I can't imagine making millions would KEEP me from doing it...

again...the helmet issue...

it's starting to sound like he could have avoided most of his injuries with a helmet...

the woman that pulled out was taken to the police station...I'm sure it was an accident...

POJO_Risin
06-12-2006, 05:09 PM
No way...Collins is a deep thrower...he doesn't fit their offense at all...

Garcia is erratic...he doesn't fit either...

they need a guy with a bit of mobility...can throw the intermediate passes...and can go long with accuracy...

of the three...Feidler is the only one that fits...

Garcia is the backup in Philly...anyways...

Unchainme
.Jeff Garcia... I could see as a Pitt QB...

yes and that cocksucker beating us and getting "revenge" even THOUGH HE SUCKS FUCKING COCK!!!! :(, thats just our luck.

POJO_Risin
I saw O'Donnell at the Masters either last year...or the year before...yeah...lmfao...he's retired...

WARF
06-12-2006, 05:10 PM
Here's 3 brand new videos.

POJO_Risin
06-12-2006, 05:10 PM
Garcia is the shittiest qb of all time...

maybe they'll get Tim Couch...and I can kill myself...

Unchainme
06-12-2006, 05:12 PM
http://games.espn.go.com/news/photos/nfl/000815_couch.jpg

Here ya go Poj., Have fun with him :D

(Though it was mainly our sucky o-lines fault. that he was so horrible over here.)

ALinChainz
06-12-2006, 05:14 PM
Couch had a recent MRI and may need additional sugery, he could be done for good.

Collins would be the most likely canidate, but so far has priced himself out of a job.

He may lower his asking price to play for the Steelers.

WARF
06-12-2006, 05:16 PM
Okay here's another scenerio...
The packers...
you got two rookies ready to take over...
Aaron Rodgers???

POJO_Risin
06-12-2006, 05:18 PM
I just don't see him fitting into the Steelers offense...he forces passes...much like Garcia...

of course...with a better line...you never know...and he'd have a better line...

I think Al can verify at this stage...that Garcia's arm is shot...and probably has been...

POJO_Risin
06-12-2006, 05:18 PM
The only way Pittsburgh goes for a young guy is if Roeth is injured to the point where career-threatening is mentioned...

POJO_Risin
06-12-2006, 05:19 PM
Who else does Green Bay have other than Rodgers?

WARF
06-12-2006, 05:20 PM
WAIT... what the fuck am I talking about...

ALinChainz
06-12-2006, 05:21 PM
I don't think you'll have anyone arguing with you Al...

alls I'm saying is...it's damn easy to say now that I'm in my mid-30's...

I know when I bought my motorcycle when I was 22...nobody wanted me too...

granted...I wasn't married...and didn't play pro football...

I can't imagine making millions would KEEP me from doing it...

again...the helmet issue...

it's starting to sound like he could have avoided most of his injuries with a helmet...

the woman that pulled out was taken to the police station...I'm sure it was an accident...

Oh yeah, I hear ya.

We all have felt the invincibility. I did with every bottle I downed and all the substances I abused myself with, along with the driving I did while under the influence of all of it.

Not going to happen to me I thought.

Ben should have worn a helmet though, he has to expect someone else could cause this shit if nothing else.

POJO_Risin
06-12-2006, 05:22 PM
There are plenty of teams to call...I'm sure you could call up Detroit...and make a play for whoever doesn't win their top job...

but I really don't think they'll trade...I think they'll do it from within...and probably resign Maddox...

ALinChainz
06-12-2006, 05:23 PM
I just don't see him fitting into the Steelers offense...he forces passes...much like Garcia...

of course...with a better line...you never know...and he'd have a better line...

I think Al can verify at this stage...that Garcia's arm is shot...and probably has been...

Garcia is DONE.

I believe he landed in Philly.

And they hope he doesn't play.

POJO_Risin
06-12-2006, 05:24 PM
No doubt about it...

Do you think this will get any coverage?

lmfao...

WARF
06-12-2006, 05:24 PM
Rodgers in the future of Green Bay... my goof.. lol

Give Marcus Vick a tryout... lol

POJO_Risin
06-12-2006, 05:27 PM
I still can't figure out this helmet law bullshit...

I rode a motorcycle for 10 years...and never...NEVER...even thought about the helmet...

but there are fuckers that live by not wearing one...

it just doesn't make any fucking sense...

WARF
06-12-2006, 05:27 PM
Let's not forget you have Shane Rutherford... a native pitt guy...
And Shane Boyd... the rookie out of kentucky...

POJO_Risin
06-12-2006, 05:29 PM
I'll just wait and see what happens with Ben...

no sense in talking about the future...until we finds out what's up with the future...

POJO_Risin
06-12-2006, 05:30 PM
http://espn-att.starwave.com/photo/2006/0612/nfl_a_roethlisbergerbike_275.jpg

POJO_Risin
06-12-2006, 05:31 PM
They drafted a QB...I think from Bowling Green...

based on some things that Ben said about him...

can't remember his name...

POJO_Risin
06-12-2006, 05:32 PM
Here are the pools of blood...

http://espn-att.starwave.com/photo/2006/0612/nfl_a_roethlisberger_275.jpg

WARF
06-12-2006, 05:33 PM
I'm fucking done talking about bikes today... lol

I should have known this was gonna happen to Roethlisberger.
It's been all over the media for a year now.

ALinChainz
06-12-2006, 05:36 PM
They drafted a QB...I think from Bowling Green...

based on some things that Ben said about him...

can't remember his name...

Omar Jacobs.

Think they had some "Slashy" ideas about him.

POJO_Risin
06-12-2006, 05:39 PM
Here's the interview with Andrea Kramer last year...

Roethlisberger in 2005: '... The safest rider I can be'ESPN.com

In July 2005, ESPN's Andrea Kremer interviewed Ben Roethlisberger shortly after the Cleveland Browns' tight end Kellen Winslow was injured in a motorcycle accident. Portions of that conversation are below:

ESPN: Why do you ride a motorcycle?
Roethlisberger: Because I choose to. I want to. It's relaxing to me.

ESPN: Relaxing?
Roethlisberger: Very.

ESPN: What kind of rush do you get?
Roethlisberger: Oh, it's not a rush. It's relaxing. A rush is when you're riding a roller coaster. It's relaxing for me. You're going out, riding in groups, having fun ... you're free. Your mind is as free as it can get and it's probably the best stress reliever I've ever had in my entire life.

ESPN: Why? Why does it do that?
Roethlisberger: I don't know. You're just out there and you're free.

ESPN: How long have you been riding?
Roethlisberger: For a while.

ESPN: What's a while?
Roethlisberger: A long time.

ESPN: Since you were in high school?
Roethlisberger: I've always been big into snowmobiles, four-wheelers, jet skis, all kinds of those X Games kind of things. And I just finally bought my own motorcycle, not too long ago.

ESPN: I assume you have your license?
Roethlisberger: Yes.

ESPN: It's not the law in Pennsylvania to wear a helmet. Why don't you wear a helmet?
Roethlisberger: Because you don't have to. It's not the law. If it was the law, I'd definitely have one on every time I rode. But it's the law and I know I don't have to and your just more free when you're out there with no helmet on.

ESPN: How much do you view riding a motorcycle as a risk?
Roethlisberger: I think it can be a risk. It depends on how you ride. I don't ride a sport bike. If I'm riding a sport bike and trying to do tricks, and going 200 miles down the highway, that's probably pretty stupid. But when you're riding a Harley or a chopper and you're riding with a group of people and you're not on the highway and you're cruising, you're relaxing. I don't think its as much of a risk as people make it out to be.

ESPN: What is the difference between what you're talking about, recreational riding, and what Kellen Winslow was doing? What kind of bike do you ride?
Roethlisberger: I ride a Harley and a chopper. Those are the two bikes I ride the most.

ESPN: Are those viewed a top of the line, high performance cycles?
Roethlisberger: They are like, it would be like riding in a Cadillac compared to a Ferrari, which is a sport bike. It's a luxury motorcycle. You know it's relaxing. You don't pop wheelies, because it's pretty hard to do it anyway. So you just keep two wheels on the ground and you just ride.

ESPN: Have you ever done wheelies?
Roethlisberger: No, never tried. Never will.

ESPN: Why?
Roethlisberger: Because it's just asking for disaster. It's just asking to go down.

ESPN: When you heard about Kellen Winslow's accident, what went through your mind?
Roethlisberger: I was concerned for him. I was hoping he'd be OK because he's a great player. You don't want someone like that to get injured off the field, and so I was hoping he was going to be OK. ... I knew it was going to blow up for me, people were going to start talking about me as well.

ESPN: What part of you said, "those are the consequences?"
Roethlisberger: Well, it's just like anything and I didn't wish for him to get hurt. It's just like anything else, the more risk you put into something, into whatever it is ... Just like gambling. You're gambling. The more money you want to put into something -- you can lose, or you can win big, so you take gambles with things and you can get burned.

ESPN: Jamie Henderson was just out riding, had an accident, and was in a coma, so how do you manage the risk?
Roethlisberger: Well it's just like everything else. You can get injured and killed in a car, too. You can get killed walking down the street. You have to know what you're doing, and I'm not saying anyone didn't know what they were doing, but it's a risk and being in life is a risk.

ESPN: What has (Steelers head coach) Bill Cowher said with respect to riding a motorcycle?
Roethlisberger: People blew that out of proportion, what we talked about.

ESPN: What was it?
Roethlisberger: We talked in camp. We were just standing there, he asked me about how I rode, who I rode with, am I safe, and I told him exactly what I told you. I don't ride sport bikes. I ride Harleys and choppers and I ride in a group, and we point out potholes as we go by so other people will know ... he asked me about wearing helmet, and I said I don't wear a helmet, and he goes just be careful. He never told me not to ride. He never told me to wear a helmet. Then people said that I just denied everything he said. He didn't say anything like that. He just told me be careful and use my head.

ESPN: Did you need to be told that?
Roethlisberger: I was already doing those things. But it's just like, my father said the same thing, it's just someone telling you because they care about you.

ESPN: What have (your) mother (and) father said?
Roethlisberger: They don't like me doing it, but they know I'm a man. I can make my own decisions. They just want me to be careful.

ESPN: Is there an analogy between the rush of motorcycle riding and football?
Roethlisberger: I don't get on them because it's a risk. I don't get thrills like when you ride them like 'oh this is a rush for me.' It's just relaxing for me. I mean, I could just get in the biggest fight of my life and get on the bike everything is forgotten and you're free. And I think its going to help me, I think.

ESPN: Where do you ride?
Roethlisberger: All over. We ride outside of Pittsburgh, out on the country roads, and just ride.

ESPN: How aware are you that some contracts ban risky activity?
Roethlisberger: Very.

ESPN: What, if anything, is in your contract about motorcycles?
Roethlisberger: If it was in my contract it said I can not ride a motorcycle, then I can't ride a motorcycle.

ESPN: What if they wanted to put that additional language in there?
Roethlisberger: I wouldn't be happy, but that's part of the deal. If your boss says,you can't do it, you can't do it.

ESPN: You would abide by that?
Roethlisberger: Absolutely, it's the law.

ESPN: But it's not in there?
Roethlisberger: Right. We've gone over that with a fine toothed comb ... not breaking the rules, exactly, just like wearing a helmet. If the law says I need to wear a helmet, I'll wear a helmet.

ESPN: How do you view that you are putting your employment at risk?
Roethlisberger: It's tough. It's kind of like we say: "Let those who ride decide." I can make a decision. I'm a man. You're not going to make a decision for me, especially if you're not my boss or my employer. You don't have the right to make that decision for me, so I'm gonna go out and be as careful as I can … look how many people are killed in car accidents every day. Its risk whatever you do.

ESPN: What kind of gawk factor do you get when you're on a motorcycle?
Roethlisberger: I don't ever ride by myself. We always have at least one other guy there. They say 'I'm not worried about you riding, I'm worried about the other people,' and it's true. People don't see motorcycles as much because it's a smaller vehicle.

ESPN: Have you been distracted at all?
Roethlisberger: No, its just like anything else: you've got to stay focused because if you don't stay focused, you're going to lose the game, or you could die.

ESPN: What to you constitutes a hazardous activity for a professional athlete?
Roethlisberger: Playing football with no pads on. Riding a motorcycle? I don't think is hazardous. I think maybe something like skydiving, although I think that's pretty safe from what I've heard.

ESPN: What obligation does a professional athlete have in his free time to not engage in certain activities?
Roethlisberger: The obligation for us is on the days we practice and on Sundays, the days that we play. That is the obligation we have, to go out and be athletes toward what we do. In my free time, I can work out, which I do. I can throw, which I do. Or I can do anything else that I want to do -- as long as its not illegal or against the rules.

Roethlisberger: There's a lot of people that ride that people don't know about, it's amazing.
ESPN: Why? What do you mean by that?
Roethlisberger: … (John) Elway rode his whole career. (Troy) Aikman. All those guys. They still ride theirs. I bet I'd have to say over 75 percent of the league people ride motorcycles.

ESPN: What would people have thought if they did know that John Elway rode a motorcycle?
Roethlisberger: I have no idea. I don't what would people think. You know … I just know people they make a big fuss like Kellen and I are the first guys ever to ride motorcycles you know I think that's just silly.

ESPN: Can you understand that there is a focus on the risk factor?
Roethlisberger: Yes, but there is a risk in everything you do. (In) everyday life, there is a risk no matter what you are doing. And yeah, there is a risk if I'm out there doing wheelies on a motorcycle. But I'm being the safest rider I can be.

Romeo Delight
06-12-2006, 05:42 PM
Here are the pools of blood...

http://espn-att.starwave.com/photo/2006/0612/nfl_a_roethlisberger_275.jpg

I love the Army

WARF
06-12-2006, 05:47 PM
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WCTKv_S4SeU"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WCTKv_S4SeU" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

POJO_Risin
06-12-2006, 05:49 PM
;)

funny...read that interview...

then read this...

Originally posted by ESPN
Updated: June 12, 2006, 5:34 PM ET

Roethlisberger was between radio interviews and on his black 2005 Suzuki Hayabusa -- large, racing-style bike -- and heading toward an intersection on the edge of downtown. A silver Chrysler New Yorker traveling in the opposite direction took a left turn and collided with the motorcycle, and Roethlisberger was thrown, police said.

The other car was driven by a 62-year-old woman, police said. They didn't immediately release her name and no charges were filed.

racing-style bike eh?

Flash Bastard
06-12-2006, 06:10 PM
Speaking for all the football fans in Denver, we'd be delighted to loan Pittsburgh the use of one Jake Plummer for however long they need him.

;)

POJO_Risin
06-12-2006, 06:12 PM
the latest...not that it's anything newsworthy...

Ben's Family Arrives At Mercy Hospital
(KDKA) PITTSBURGH Friends and family of Ben Roethlisberger have arrived at Mercy Hospital, as he remains in serious, but stable condition after colliding with a car while riding his motorcycle on Second Avenue.

KDKA has learned his mother, father, sister and a former coach are at the hospital with him.

After hearing that their teammate Ben Roethlisberger had been in an accident this morning, some Steeler players showed up at the hospital to show their support.

Steelers Charlie Batch and Mike Logan both arrived at Mercy Hospital this afternoon after getting word that Roethlisberger's motorcycle collided with a car near the 10th Street Bridge this morning.

The Super Bowl XL winning quarterback is listed in serious but stable condition at Mercy Hospital.

According to the hospital's director of trauma, Dr. Larry Jones, Roethlisberger was talking with doctors before he was taken into surgery this afternoon.

As news of the accident spread quickly through the Pittsburgh-area, some fans also headed to the hospital.

Stay with KDKA for the latest developments

Mr. Vengeance
06-12-2006, 06:17 PM
lmfao...Vengeance...

I could go places with this comment...;)

"Don't call me stupid" - Kevin Kline, A Fish Called Wanda

I simply think if you don't take measures to protect yourself, don't expect me to feel for you. I hope he's okay, but other than that, fuck him.

You guys can't HAVE Garcia...my brilliant coach Reid decided to bring him in to help the Eagles. I imagine that fudgepacker is helping them knit right about now.....

rothdaddy
06-12-2006, 06:34 PM
It sucks to see hear about someone being injured in any kind of accident. Big Ben is a tremendous athelete and competitor. It's a personal choice to wear a helmet..or not to. Does anybody remember Roth in the music video for Panama? If I am not mistaken he was riding a motor cycle sans helmet...

POJO_Risin
06-12-2006, 07:21 PM
lmfao...good point...

WARF
06-12-2006, 07:23 PM
Update...

Ben's grandmother Silvia brought him some carnation flowers...
And a half dozen of her homemade cookies...

Va Beach VH Fan
06-12-2006, 08:03 PM
OK, just got done watching FSN P-Burgh for the last hour...

Damn, I actually thought they were going to discuss the Pirates' 3 game winning streak.... ;)

The bike he was riding, the Suzuki Hayabusa, goes close to 200 MPH, and was leased to Ben because of appearances he made at local Suzuki dealerships... He owns the Harley but wasn't riding it today...

His injuries as of now are a broken jaw, broken sinus cavity, loss of several teeth, 9-inch gash on the back of his head after hitting the pavement, and his knees are badly skinned from the pavement as well....

The lady made a VERY SLOW left hand turn onto the bridge entrance, and it appears that although Ben was looking to his right checking for drivers coming OFF of the bridge, it looks like he anticipated that the car would have cleared by the time he got there, because he didn't even attempt to slow down... No skid marks, nothing...

According to Rotoworld, Maddox's agent has already called the Steelers, telling them he's available...

But as of now, it's Batch...

Va Beach VH Fan
06-12-2006, 08:12 PM
Good shot of where Ben's bike, and his head, made contact with the car...

POJO_Risin
06-12-2006, 08:14 PM
Yeah...that's what I saw as well...

I saw that from Rotoworld as well...

fucked up...was worried as hell about his knees...heard various reports throughout the day...

finally heard bruising and sprains...

still...shoulda had a helmet on...

Va Beach VH Fan
06-12-2006, 08:23 PM
Got some very upset people in the city of Three Rivers tonight my friend....

I actually found out about it on HFboards, a fookin' hockey board....

The more I watch, the more I'm amazed he isn't near death...

Little Texan
06-12-2006, 08:41 PM
I hear Ryan Leaf is looking to get back into the NFL...:D

How about the geriatric Vinny Testaverde? Or Jeff George?

POJO_Risin
06-12-2006, 08:46 PM
lmfao VA...I'm golfing this morning...and my fucking Cell is going apeshit...every time I check it...2 more messages...

I'm having a fucking beer after my round...and I check my phone...15 messages...all about Roeth...from everywhere...Cleveland...Pittsburgh...Erie...lmfao ...all about Roeth...

the last one from my cousin in Florida..."He's my starter in fantasy...WHAT SHOULD I DO.."

lmfao...

not really funny...but just goes to show you how these player get ingrained in your life...

Va Beach VH Fan
06-12-2006, 08:48 PM
the last one from my cousin in Florida..."He's my starter in fantasy...WHAT SHOULD I DO.."

Wow, he actually starts Roeth ??

ODShowtime
06-12-2006, 08:57 PM

I rode a motorcycle for 10 years...and never...NEVER...even thought about the helmet...

I've heard from cops (in PA) that they just prefer helmets for all riders so they don't have to sop up all the brains from the concrete. That's the main difference it makes overall.

This must have been a very low-speed crash. Lucky for that and my man's built like a brick shithouse.

btw...

FUCK!!!!!!

Va Beach VH Fan
06-12-2006, 09:04 PM
Eyewitnesses say about 40MPH, but it was without any kind of stopping at all....

Steelers News Conference soon on ESPNEWS.....

ODShowtime
06-12-2006, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
Eyewitnesses say about 40MPH, but it was without any kind of stopping at all....

Steelers News Conference soon on ESPNEWS.....

That's a helluvalotta force...40mph?

how much force does a linebacker deliver?

Dave's PA Rental
06-12-2006, 09:08 PM
40 MPH is actually really fast if you instantly drop down to zero...

Does Tom Brady even have a motorcycle?...

Seriously, I hope he is ok...

POJO_Risin
06-12-2006, 09:08 PM
Keep me up to date on what they say Va...I'm watching the hockey game...and won't change it...lmfao...

POJO_Risin
06-12-2006, 09:10 PM
There isn't a linebacker this side of LT that hits like a car...lmfao...

it's amazing he's alive...he's "lucky" he hit the window...with his head...

lucky...christ...

POJO_Risin
06-12-2006, 09:11 PM
I doubt Brady has a motorcycle that he drives...

Va Beach VH Fan
06-12-2006, 09:16 PM
They've got the mikes ready outside of the hospital...

Shouldn't be too long...

And I'm watching the game as well....

POJO_Risin
06-12-2006, 09:20 PM
Maybe Ben will Wheel himself out there himself...flip everyone off...then walk away...

Va Beach VH Fan
06-12-2006, 09:22 PM
Maybe Gulbis will be blowing him in his chair....

And Coach Caaaaawher has made his entrance (he was on vacation) in his SL500.....

POJO_Risin
06-12-2006, 09:46 PM
Was he down here?

POJO_Risin
06-12-2006, 09:47 PM
I'm sure Roeth doesn't have anything to worry about in the hummer department...lmfao...

Flash Bastard
06-12-2006, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
Good shot of where Ben's bike, and his head, made contact with the car...

He's one lucky motherfucker. An inch or 2 more to the left and he'd be a fucking vegetable.... if not dead.

Get ready for the Roethlisberger Clause in all future professional sports contracts.

POJO_Risin
06-12-2006, 09:58 PM
No doubt...and now we'll get to hear about Winslow...and Jayson Williams...

on and on and on...

Va Beach VH Fan
06-12-2006, 09:58 PM
Was he down here?

Yeah, your next door neighbor... ;)

Press conference in about two minutes on ESPNEWS....

POJO_Risin
06-12-2006, 10:01 PM
Dude...you should see his fucking house...holy fuck...

North Raleigh...mammoth...

not that I've stalked him...lmfao...

Mr. Vengeance
06-12-2006, 10:06 PM
It actually gives Pittsburgh something to talk about. If a three game Pirates win streak is all you got.......GET A FUCKING STEELER TO CRASH INTO SOMETHING!

POJO_Risin
06-12-2006, 11:13 PM
Doctors: Ben's Surgery Successful
Doctors at Mercy Hospital say Ben’s seven hours of surgery were successful.

They were able to repair a fracture to his face.

He’s now in serious, but stable condition.

Doctors say he has no other serious injuries that they are aware of.

Doctor Daniel Pituch says Roethlisberger’s brain, spine chest and abdomen all appear to be okay.

Roethlisberger wasn’t wearing a helmet when he wrecked his motorcycle this morning on Second Avenue.

The Pittsburgh Police Collision Investigation Unit is still looking into the crash.

So far, no charges have been filed against the driver, a 62-year-old woman who lives in Pittsburgh and Maine.

Flash Bastard
06-13-2006, 12:12 AM
Suddenly I'm reminded of that South Park episode where the old people are driving recklessly and the townspeople are running for their lives.

It was piss your pants hilarious.

Back on topic..... i'm happy to hear Ben is doing well.

And Unchainme...... the Brownies are due for a championship soon. Every dawg has his day.

Va Beach VH Fan
06-13-2006, 09:35 AM
Dude...you should see his fucking house...holy fuck...

North Raleigh...mammoth...

not that I've stalked him...lmfao...

Well, and this is with all due respect to your transplanted hometown, I believe that 2.5 million gets you a much bigger property in Raleigh than in other areas...

You can't get a shack around here for under 300K...

The_KiD
06-13-2006, 10:52 AM
No helmet on a Motorcycle.. Not smart..

KiD

scamper
06-13-2006, 11:14 AM

So everyone here thinks the government needs to protect us from ourselves. Why not just outlaw motorcycles. Where does it stop?

Va Beach VH Fan
06-13-2006, 11:46 AM
In terms of the law, sure, it's a free country, you wanna roll the dice and not wear a helmet, go for it...

So in that respect, I personally wouldn't confuse law with common sense and/or personal safety...

But if I'm the owner of a professional sports team, you're damn straight that I'm putting that clause (to wear a helmet) on each and every contract I offer.... I wouldn't go as far as a "no motorcycle" clause, but there would sure as hell be a "helmet" clause....

POJO_Risin
06-13-2006, 12:38 PM
I'd have a no motorcycle clause...period...standard...

POJO_Risin
06-13-2006, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by scamper
So everyone here thinks the government needs to protect us from ourselves. Why not just outlaw motorcycles. Where does it stop?

Yeah...that's right...outlaw fucking motorcycles...that's what I was insinuating...

Jesus Christ...give me a fucking break with this shit...

Use some fucking common sense...

I'm so fucking sick of the people that think the government shouldn't mandate safety...

I've got it...fuck it...you shouldn't need a license to ride a motorcycle...

why stop there...you shouldn't mandate air bags...

I've got it...fuck seat belts...

fuck it all....

8BALLS FOR EVERYONE!!!

Va Beach VH Fan
06-13-2006, 01:20 PM
LMFAO....

Hit a nerve with that one....

Va Beach VH Fan
06-14-2006, 07:07 PM
Latest update...

Doctors: Roethlisberger 'Up and around'

Wednesday, June 14, 2006

By Gerry Dulac and Dan Majors, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Doctors at Mercy Hospital said today that Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger was "up and around" and a source who visited Roethlisberger told the Post-Gazette that he will be discharged tomorrow.

Roethlisberger remains in fair condition two days after he was involved in a motorcycle accident that caused numerous facial and head injuries. During a press briefing just after 5 p.m. today, Dr. Larry M. Jones, chief of the Division of Multi-System Trauma at Mercy Hospital of Pittsburgh, said that a second CT scan confirmed previous findings that Roethlisberger has sustained no brain injury.

Doctors said that Roethlisberger's jaws are not wired shut and he is on a soft food diet, and will not "suffer nutritional consequences of a liquid diet," such as significant weight loss.

Roethlisberger broke portions of his upper and lower jaw, his nose, the orbital bone underneath his eye, damaged some teeth and suffered a mild concussion after the motorcycle he was operating slammed into the side of a car on Second Avenue at the 10th Street Bridge intersection Monday morning.

Roethlisberger has severe bruising and swelling in his face and neck area, but he has been speaking -- albeit softly and briefly -- to visitors. He was also fed soft foods such as yogurt and pudding today -- the first time he has been allowed to eat since the accident.

Dr. Daniel W. Pituch, chief of the Division of Oral and Maxillofacial surgery at Mercy, who was directly involved with the surgery Monday, said that the surgical team used "internal fixation technology" which involves the placement of small titanium plates and screws onto the surface of the broken bones in his jaws and face. The plates are one-and-a-half to two inches long and resemble hair berettes. The titanium plates were carefully bent to match the contours of Roethlisberger facial bones, Pituch said.

"Small holes were drilled into the bones and small screws were carefully placed into these holes," Pituch explained. "In addition this technology allows us to have a more predictable outcome that usually does not require any additional major reconstructive procedures."

Dr. Jones said that the Roethlisberger family expressed their gratitude for well-wishes that have come from around the world. His family has been at his bedside throughout the ordeal.

ODShowtime
06-14-2006, 07:35 PM
ben is a lot like darth vader, but more of a badass

Va Beach VH Fan
06-14-2006, 07:56 PM
I'm really interested in how he recovers from this, physically, emotionally, and psychologically.....

WARF
06-14-2006, 08:10 PM
Sorry I didn't see this posted... or I wouldn't have started a new thread.

POJO_Risin
06-15-2006, 12:22 AM
That mental piece is what worries me...

nearly as much as what a concussion like this can do...

because once you get one...it becomes easier to get them...

POJO_Risin
06-15-2006, 12:23 AM
Mark Cuban on Letterman...

wearing a Ben Roethlisberger jersey...

lmfao...working those Pittsburgh connections...

POJO_Risin
06-15-2006, 12:24 AM
Jesus...do you think his players are going to be rippin' him for having a hard head?

Little Texan
06-15-2006, 12:53 AM
It's no longer Big Ben, but Bionic Ben...

Little Texan
06-15-2006, 12:54 AM
Wonder if he'll be wearing a helmet next time he goes out for a ride?

Little Texan
06-15-2006, 12:56 AM
On second thought, with all that metal in his head he probably won't need one!

Va Beach VH Fan
06-16-2006, 03:52 PM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06167/698760-66.stm

"In the past few days, I have gained a new perspective on life," he said in a statement released through the Steelers. "By the grace of God, I am fortunate to be alive, surrounded by loved ones and lifted by the prayers and support of so many. I am sorry for any anxiety and concern my actions have caused others, specifically my family, the Steelers organization, my teammates and our fans.

"I recognize that I have a responsibility to safeguard my health in the off-season so I can continue to lead our team effectively. I never meant any harm to others nor to break any laws. I was confident in my ability to ride a motorcycle and simply believed such an accident would not happen to me.

"If I ever ride again, it certainly will be with a helmet."

"I will forever be grateful for their caring treatment," he said.

ODShowtime
06-16-2006, 09:26 PM
he's a class act