PDA

View Full Version : Lossless bootlegs for direct downloading

Lou
04-20-2004, 12:06 AM
http://www.diamonddavidleeroth.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14

Mr White has taken it upon himself to post some lossless bootlegs over there (meaning no mp3) and Vaughn has permitted it...for now. Take advantage of it while it's there...Complete Zero and Paris 5/10/78.

Dave's PA Rental
04-20-2004, 01:40 AM
Im not even going to say a thing...

Lou
04-20-2004, 03:09 PM
Well for those who want to take baby steps, there's no bit torrenting involved unlike Sharing The Groove. So you can download them directly as you would mp3. The file sizes are much bigger of course, about halfway between an mp3 and a .wav. If you have a high-speed internet connection there should be no issue.

Alex Mogilny
04-20-2004, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by Lou
http://www.diamonddavidleeroth.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14

Mr White has taken it upon himself to post some lossless bootlegs Paris 5/10/78.

Yikes!

It may be lossless, but it still sounds like shit.

We need some boot leggers to rob Alex Van Halen's basement like someone did to Jimmy Page.

Lou
04-20-2004, 03:32 PM
I don't know what you expect. For bootleg standards it's really good quality. If you're expecting RHRN forget it, and that goes for pretty much all shows 25+ years old.

Big Troubles
04-20-2004, 03:34 PM
I tried downloading it already. I have cable high speed and I waited at least 20 min for two songs. They are large files. Very large. (.flac I believe) I dunno. For some ppl this is cool. I will keep downloading from the Army. Mp3 for me.

Alex Mogilny
04-20-2004, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by Lou
I don't know what you expect. For bootleg standards it's really good quality. If you're expecting RHRN forget it, and that goes for pretty much all shows 25+ years old.

I disagree:

Cream, Oakland 10/4/68
Rolling Stones, Leeds,1971
Pretty much any Clapton from 1973 on
Tons of Zep shows

I could go on....

The unfortunate thing is that Van Halen shows sound like shit.
The only VH shows that are worth a damn are:

12/20/77
6/17/78
3/25/79

The rest are putrid shit and you know it.

Lou
04-20-2004, 03:44 PM
Yeah I "know it" :rolleyes: I enjoy VH bootlegs very much (listening to Amsterdam 6/15/79 right now). You...well why don't you pop in Right Here Right Now and you'll get great quality, OK?

Alex Mogilny
04-20-2004, 03:47 PM
I don't own RHRN, and I don't intend on buying it.
Besides, RHRN is Van HAGAR, not Van HALEN.

Come on Lou, Gimme a break.

Lou
04-20-2004, 03:55 PM
I know it's Van Hagar, that's the point, if you want Van HALEN you'll have to deal with non-stuido CD quality.

But give ME a break, what a dumb-ass statement "All the VH bootlegs are putrid shit and you know it." Have you listened to all of them? Otherwise that's a dumb-ass, misinformed statement. Listening to mp3's doesn't count either because mp3's are shit and ruin the quality. There are wonderful audience recordings out there--Charlotte 7/17/82 Master, San Fran 9/14/82 & 9/15/82 Masters, US Fest 5/29/83 liberated video source, Houston 7/11/79, all three Japan 1979 shows circulating London 6/23/80 and 6/24/80, LA 6/19/81, Philly 7/21/81, OK City 8/6/78 "Bottoms Up" boot, I could go on and on. These are all audiences except for US Fest (very few VH boards circulating) but I think they sound great and can hold their own with almost any audience Zep boots.

So when you listen to non-mp3 VH boots, all of those that I mentioned, come back with an informed opinion.

Alex Mogilny
04-20-2004, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by Lou
I know it's Van Hagar, that's the point, if you want Van HALEN you'll have to deal with non-stuido CD quality.

But give ME a break, what a dumb-ass statement "All the VH bootlegs are putrid shit and you know it." Have you listened to all of them? Otherwise that's a dumb-ass, misinformed statement. Listening to mp3's doesn't count either because mp3's are shit and ruin the quality. There are wonderful audience recordings out there--Charlotte 7/17/82 Master, San Fran 9/14/82 & 9/15/82 Masters, US Fest 5/29/83 liberated video source, Houston 7/11/79, all three Japan 1979 shows circulating London 6/23/80 and 6/24/80, LA 6/19/81, Philly 7/21/81, OK City 8/6/78 "Bottoms Up" boot, I could go on and on. These are all audiences except for US Fest (very few VH boards circulating) but I think they sound great and can hold their own with almost any audience Zep boots.

So when you listen to non-mp3 VH boots, all of those that I mentioned, come back with an informed opinion.

The Led Zep audience recordings are much better than the VH ones...I saw your list and suggest you actually build a collection of the two bands before making a comparison between the two.

I have over 200 Van HALEN bootlegs, many on DAT, including the San Fran shows from 1982.

I don't have nor will ever have any MP3 sourced crap....you don't know me, so don't link me with the retards over at vhtrading.com for christ's sake.

I got my first bootlegs while you were still shittin' in your diapers.

XOXO,
AlMo

Lou
04-20-2004, 04:25 PM
Well if you saw my list, I think I have about 10-15 more Zep shows to go before I've got them all. And as far as VH goes, you should know it's one HELL of a lot harder to find VH than Zep. I'm in trades right now and I'm getting what I can.

I like what I have of VH for the most part so again, to say they're "all putrid shit" is ridiculous.

Alex Mogilny
04-20-2004, 04:29 PM
I'm not the only one who thinks VH shows sound bad.

Good luck in your conquest of getting "all of the Zep shows".

As for VH, I'm sure you probably know, stay away from vhtrading.com....it's all watered down with mp3s.

XOXO,
AlMo

Lou
04-20-2004, 04:34 PM
And by the way you did post a thread at vhtrading.com awhile back saying how you had 20 boots or so and none of them had seamless track transitions, unless that was someone else posting as alex-mogilny who also happens to be in New York.

http://www.vhtrading.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=13;t=000072

Lou
04-20-2004, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by Alex Mogilny
I'm not the only one who thinks VH shows sound bad.

Good luck in your conquest of getting "all of the Zep shows".

Yeah I mentioned that because I don't know what you consider as a legit collection. I think that having all the available shows save 10-15 is a pretty damn good collection of a band.

Alex Mogilny
04-20-2004, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by Lou
And by the way you did post a thread at vhtrading.com awhile back saying how you had 20 boots or so and none of them had seamless track transitions, unless that was someone else posting as alex-mogilny who also happens to be in New York.

http://www.vhtrading.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=13;t=000072

That is me....that was when I just got a burner and could not convert DAT to CD, so I thought I would get them over the web from other traders.....big mistake, especially from that site.

I wasn't...still am not all that technically inclined with the PC. I didn't know the difference between MP3 and WAV at that time.

I am still skeptical about getting shows from people on the WEB.....I've even tried the bit-torrent, FLAC and SHN methods. I have some ZEP shows I recently converted from DAT and they sound better than the stuff I downloaded from sharingthegroove.

I found a guy through Goldmine magazine about a year ago who had over 150 VH shows on DAT, bought them all and converted them to audio CD....they sound better than the MP3 stuff, but as far as sound quality....they are all pretty bad....even the board shows are flat.

So, I don't know if you were trying to embarass me or what, but that's the story and as a whole VH bootlegs sound like putrid shit.

Lou
04-20-2004, 05:10 PM
Any show you get from DAT is gonna be the highest quality of course. But what are the chances people are going to share that for nothing? There's only one person and it's the guy running royal-orleans.com . The Zep traders on STG are also interested in highest quality though. If they don't sound as good, it has nothing to do with .shn/.flac, which when converted gives you back the original .wav.

How much did that cost to buy Master>DAT bootlegs? I'm sure a fortune.

Alex Mogilny
04-20-2004, 05:23 PM
I bought them for $1500, roughly $10 a tape. He didn't think there was any demand for the VH shows....told me he tried to sell them to some bootleg record cos. in Japan and Europe and nobody wanted them.

I have bought some Zep shows as well. The Zep guys know what they have. I bought a DAT of 4/27/69 SB...set me back $300. but the sound quality is much better than Collage and a few of the other SB versions of the show.

Alex Mogilny
04-20-2004, 05:26 PM
I'm not technical at all, but I think that through all of this converting, there is some loss.

No hard feelings to you Lou, I was just a little pissy at work today.
If you ever run across the Oakland '81 sounboard show......let me know

Lou
04-20-2004, 05:34 PM
Tell you what, if you don't like the quality of the DAT's I'll gladly take them off your hands :)

Dave's PA Rental
04-20-2004, 06:53 PM
yes, please!

Dave's PA Rental
04-20-2004, 06:53 PM
Amsterdam '79, huh?.....

philouze
04-21-2004, 03:10 AM
Right.
What a great lesson of life we had here !!
Thanx Lou & Alex M. !!!!

MrBeasty
04-22-2004, 12:31 PM
Where d'they go?

Jesus Christ
04-22-2004, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by Alex Mogilny
I'm not technical at all, but I think that through all of this converting, there is some loss.

No hard feelings to you Lou, I was just a little pissy at work today.
If you ever run across the Oakland '81 sounboard show......let me know

Verily, even I, the Son of Man, do not have the Oakland '81 show. Ye may consider that one the "Holy Grail" of live recordings, My son.

GAR
04-23-2004, 03:30 AM
Maybe the sound quality base is for shit from the start, but the performances are definately there.

Im no connoiseur when it comes to dealing with boots, but its realy annoying when the cassette or tape reels get stored improperly and the recording comes out with that "swoosh-swoosh-swoosh" noise going.. THAT is a bad recording, IMO