PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Identifies New Leader of al-Qaida in Iraq

frets5150
06-15-2006, 02:23 PM
U.S. Identifies New Leader of al-Qaida in Iraq
BAGHDAD, Iraq (June 15) - The U.S. military said Thursday the man claiming to be the new al-Qaida in Iraq leader is Abu Ayyub al-Masri, an Egyptian with ties to Osama bin Laden's deputy, Ayman al-Zawahri.Maj. Gen. William Caldwell, a U.S. military spokesman in Baghdad, said al-Masri apparently is the same person that al-Qaida in Iraq identified in a Web posting last week as its new leader - Abu Hamza al-Muhajer, a nom de guerre. Al-Muhajer claimed to have succeeded Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, who was killed in a June 7 U.S. airstrike, and vowed to avenge him in threatening Web statements in recent days.

The military showed a picture of al-Masri wearing a traditional white Arab headdress at a Baghdad news conference.

The Afghanistan-trained explosives expert is a key figure in the al-Qaida in Iraq network with responsibility for facilitating the movement of foreign fighters from Syria into Baghdad, Caldwell said.

He has been a terrorist since 1982, "beginning with his involvement in the Egyptian Islamic Jihad, which was led by al-Zawahri," Caldwell said.

The spokesman added that raids in April and May in southern Baghdad recovered material confirming his high-level involvement in the facilitation of foreign fighters.

"Al-Masri's intimate knowledge of al-Qaida in Iraq and his close relationship with (al-Zarqawi's) operations will undoubtedly help facilitate and enable them to regain some momentum if, in fact, he is the one that assumes the leadership role," Caldwell said.

He said, however, that al-Masri's ability to exert leadership over al-Qaida cells remained unclear and there were other "al-Qaida senior leadership members and Sunni terrorists" who might try to take over the operations.

Caldwell singled out Abu Abdul-Rahman al-Iraqi, who in the past had been identified as al-Qaida in Iraq's deputy leader in statements by the group, and Abdullah bin Rashid al-Baghdadi, the leader of the Mujahedeen Shura Council - five allied groups in the Sunni Arab-dominated insurgency.

:rolleyes:

jcook11
06-15-2006, 02:38 PM
Damn, My money would have been on Osama FORD Laden or Abdul Hassan Al LOUNGE MACHINE.

frets5150
06-15-2006, 02:44 PM
It's only been about a week since we killed Abu Musab al-Zarqawi You mean to tell me we found another Figure head this Quick?

FORD
06-15-2006, 02:46 PM
God I can't believe the gullibility of these sheep...... :rolleyes:

jcook11
06-16-2006, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by FORD

:cry2:

frets5150
06-16-2006, 02:14 PM

Believe it...

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a83/FRETS5150/BushSheep.jpg

4moreyears
06-16-2006, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by frets5150
U.S. Identifies New Leader of al-Qaida in Iraq
BAGHDAD, Iraq (June 15) - The U.S. military said Thursday the man claiming to be the new al-Qaida in Iraq leader is Abu Ayyub al-Masri, an Egyptian with ties to Osama bin Laden's deputy, Ayman al-Zawahri.Maj. Gen. William Caldwell, a U.S. military spokesman in Baghdad, said al-Masri apparently is the same person that al-Qaida in Iraq identified in a Web posting last week as its new leader - Abu Hamza al-Muhajer, a nom de guerre. Al-Muhajer claimed to have succeeded Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, who was killed in a June 7 U.S. airstrike, and vowed to avenge him in threatening Web statements in recent days.

The military showed a picture of al-Masri wearing a traditional white Arab headdress at a Baghdad news conference.

The Afghanistan-trained explosives expert is a key figure in the al-Qaida in Iraq network with responsibility for facilitating the movement of foreign fighters from Syria into Baghdad, Caldwell said.

He has been a terrorist since 1982, "beginning with his involvement in the Egyptian Islamic Jihad, which was led by al-Zawahri," Caldwell said.

The spokesman added that raids in April and May in southern Baghdad recovered material confirming his high-level involvement in the facilitation of foreign fighters.

"Al-Masri's intimate knowledge of al-Qaida in Iraq and his close relationship with (al-Zarqawi's) operations will undoubtedly help facilitate and enable them to regain some momentum if, in fact, he is the one that assumes the leadership role," Caldwell said.

He said, however, that al-Masri's ability to exert leadership over al-Qaida cells remained unclear and there were other "al-Qaida senior leadership members and Sunni terrorists" who might try to take over the operations.

Caldwell singled out Abu Abdul-Rahman al-Iraqi, who in the past had been identified as al-Qaida in Iraq's deputy leader in statements by the group, and Abdullah bin Rashid al-Baghdadi, the leader of the Mujahedeen Shura Council - five allied groups in the Sunni Arab-dominated insurgency.

Is this guy made up too?

FORD
06-16-2006, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by 4moreyears
Is this guy made up too?

As long as they have a "name" like Abu al-Whatever, then you can assume they are made up.

Because it's NOT a name.

If I put out a warrant for "4morequeers' brother from the Lazy Acres Trailer Park in Chicago", how successful do you think the cops would be in capturing him?

Not very good odds. Because It's not a name!!

I'm no expert in the Arabic language, but I imagine those who DO understand it are laughing their asses off at the BCE on a daily basis.

diamondD
06-16-2006, 05:24 PM

It's ok Dave. We knew you were gullible before you believed that Carl Rove story. ;)

diamondD
06-16-2006, 05:31 PM
As long as they have a "name" like Abu al-Whatever, then you can assume they are made up.

Because it's NOT a name.

If I put out a warrant for "4morequeers' brother from the Lazy Acres Trailer Park in Chicago", how successful do you think the cops would be in capturing him?

Not very good odds. Because It's not a name!!

I'm no expert in the Arabic language, but I imagine those who DO understand it are laughing their asses off at the BCE on a daily basis.

Analysts suggested that al-Muhajer, a name that means "the immigrant" in Arabic, was a foreigner like the Jordanian-born al-Zarqawi.

On Tuesday a statement attributed to al-Muhajer threatened attacks against U.S. forces and Iraqi government officials in Baghdad's Green Zone, the fortified compound that houses the Iraqi government headquarters, embassies and a U.S. military base.

In the Web posting, al-Muhajer also pledged allegiance to al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden, saying: "All of us are under your banner. With God's permission, victory is near."

U.S. military officials say they're convinced al-Muhajer is actually Abu Ayyub al-Masri, an Egyptian associate of al-Zarqawi.

Those people that are supposed to be laughing probably get a better kick out of your analogies.

CNN (http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/meast/06/14/new.zarqawi/index.html)

FORD
06-16-2006, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by diamondD

U.S. military officials say they're convinced al-Muhajer is actually Abu Ayyub al-Masri, an Egyptian associate of al-Zarqawi.

CNN (http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/meast/06/14/new.zarqawi/index.html)

So now this guy has two NON-names??

What's his REAL name then?

diamondD
06-16-2006, 10:01 PM
al-Zarqawi was the same way. You just chose to ignore it and make a non-conspiracy of it.

FORD
06-16-2006, 10:33 PM
Does Bill Clinton's driver's license say "Abu Chelsea al-Little Rock"??

Of course not. Because that's not his fucking name.

diamondD
06-17-2006, 12:26 AM
And that doesn't have anything to do with it, so fucking what?

diamondD
06-17-2006, 12:27 AM
Let it be noted that FORD ignored the explanation and was the first to pull a "but Clinton..." in this thread. ;)

LoungeMachine
06-17-2006, 12:43 AM
It's my impression that this new guy is the Gary Cherone of Al-Qaida.

He won't last long, no one will remember him, and his mullet is fab.

ELVIS
06-17-2006, 01:08 AM
Abu Ghraib al-Muhajer al-Zarqawi Clinton

:elvis:

jcook11
06-20-2006, 07:44 PM
Does Bill Clinton's driver's license say "Abu Chelsea al-Little Rock"??

Of course not. Because that's not his fucking name.

Just for the record FORD,my wifes sister is married to someone from Syria. His last name is Al Abdouche