View Full Version : Homeland Security Pigs Line Up At The Trough

LoungeMachine
06-18-2006, 02:40 AM
June 17, 2006, 10:50PM

From Homeland Security to lucrative contract work
New jobs raise questions for those who were in Bush administration

By ERIC LIPTON
New York Times

WASHINGTON - Dozens of members of the Bush administration's domestic security team, assembled after the 2001 terrorist attacks, are now collecting bigger paychecks in different roles: working on behalf of companies that sell domestic security products, many directly to the federal agencies the officials once helped run.

At least 90 officials at the Department of Homeland Security or the White House Office of Homeland Security — including the department's former secretary, Tom Ridge; and the former undersecretary (and current candidate for the governorship of Arkansas), Asa Hutchinson — are executives, consultants or lobbyists for companies that collectively do billions of dollars' worth of domestic security business.

More than two-thirds of the department's most senior executives in its first years have moved through the revolving door.

That pattern raises questions for some former officials.

Federal law prohibits senior executive branch officials from lobbying former government colleagues or subordinates for at least a year after leaving public service. But by exploiting loopholes in the law, — including one provision drawn up by department executives to facilitate their entry into the business world — it is often easy for former officials to do just that.

Few modern parallels
The shift to the private sector is hardly without precedent in Washington. But veteran Washington lobbyists and watchdog groups say the exodus of such a sizable share of an agency's senior management before the end of an administration has few modern parallels.

What troubles Scott Amey, general counsel at the Project on Government Oversight, are not the lucrative paychecks earned by former officials, but what he sees as an effort to disregard the spirit of the lobbying ban in pursuit of those rewards.

"It is a dirty way to get around the conflict-of-interest and ethics rules," Amey said. "It is legal. But is it appropriate? I don't think so."

What the law says
The law that governs the so-called post-employment life for federal officials was enacted in 1962. It prohibits senior officials from "any communication to or appearance" before their former government department or agency on behalf of another for one year from the date they leave their job.

Robert E. Coyle, the designated ethics official for the Homeland Security Department, said he believed that former department executives were almost universally honoring the rules.

But the experience in the short life of the agency shows that the law often does little to prevent former officials from moving quickly to lobby the government on domestic security matters on behalf of their new bosses or clients.

Perhaps the biggest loophole was created in late 2004 at the request of senior department officials, when the first big wave of departures began. The Office of Government Ethics approved a request by the department to split it into seven components for the purposes of the ethics rules.

Once in the private sector, most former department officials were prohibited for one year from lobbying the same component where they once worked.

That meant that Michael J. Petrucelli technically complied with the ethics rules. He was once acting director of citizenship and immigration services, and moved within months of leaving his post in July 2005 to a job in which he lobbied the Coast Guard, another unit of the department. The reason he was in compliance: The Coast Guard is not part of the component that contained Petrucelli's former agency, Citizenship and Immigration Services.

ODShowtime
06-18-2006, 05:14 PM
Lounge, come on. It's not against the law technically. So there's no way there could be anything wrong it.

The law is always right. The Decider said so.

Nickdfresh
06-18-2006, 07:56 PM
Bend over and suck it America!!

Hardrock69
06-19-2006, 08:48 AM
Kind of interesting....I was in Walmart the other day, and I saw a security camera for sale for like 55 bucks.

What was cool about it was that it was a night vision camera with built in infra-red lights.

The company name on the package?

The Homeland Security Company.

:rolleyes:

SIEG HEIL!!!

LoungeMachine
06-19-2006, 09:56 AM
You were in Wal-Mart the other day?

WHY?

BOYCOTT THOSE FUCKERS.

Big Train
06-19-2006, 11:46 AM
Sadly, this isn't shocking. Every president right down the line stocked his favorite private industries and/or social programs (thats a business if your a Dem) with cronies and appointees. America has been "sucking it" Nick since day one. I'm sure the business and farms of virgina were stocked with Washington appointees. Cost of doing business in DC.

LoungeMachine
06-19-2006, 11:51 AM
But the DIFFERENCE this time, BT, is the Dept. of Homeland Security [gag] was created supposedly to PROTECT US IN A WAR AGAINST GLOBAL TEERORISM.

Now, forgetting for a moment that the GWOT is a fictional boogeyman created to keep us in fear of those brown people in the towels.....

It is the lowest of the low, the sleaziest of the sleaze, to go from "protecting" us, to profiting from us....

Fuck 'em all

binnie
06-19-2006, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by LoungeMachine
But the DIFFERENCE this time, BT, is the Dept. of Homeland Security [gag] was created supposedly to PROTECT US IN A WAR AGAINST GLOBAL TEERORISM.

Now, forgetting for a moment that the GWOT is a fictional boogeyman created to keep us in fear of those brown people in the towels.....

It is the lowest of the low, the sleaziest of the sleaze, to go from "protecting" us, to profiting from us....

Fuck 'em all

Nail head hit.

frets5150
06-19-2006, 12:01 PM
Nothing to worry about folks their on the job

;)

binnie
06-19-2006, 12:03 PM
Killing UFO's near you!

Big Train
06-19-2006, 12:08 PM
If that's all it is Lounge, then people will stop buying at some point in time. But

A. The threat is largely real.
B. People spend a lot of money doing this in general (gated communities, private guards...my neck of the world is FULL of them).

I suppose it is sleazy to some. But is it any sleazier than to work on a federal grant for low income housing for example, then go to work on the other side and exploit the program for all that it is worth, to the point that pennies on the dollar AREN"T sucked up in "Administrative Costs"?

I understand if you believe in the BCE theory that this was all a profit motive to begin with (PNAC etc..). However, I do not believe in that mumbo jumbo and I believe that there are legitimate threats to our well being. Does that mean I buy a gas mask? No, I'm not that type. However, working on port securty technology, if Tom Ridge wants to work there, then great. Doesn't concern me.

Hell, Gray Davis is selling out the ports everyday, three floors below me in my building. THAT concerns me..

bobgnote
06-19-2006, 02:43 PM
Lounge, cite the damn law, from U.S.C. or C.F.R.?

EAT MY ASSHOLE
06-19-2006, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by Hardrock69
Kind of interesting....I was in Walmart the other day, and I saw a security camera for sale for like 55 bucks.

What was cool about it was that it was a night vision camera with built in infra-red lights.

The company name on the package?

The Homeland Security Company.

:rolleyes:

SIEG HEIL!!!

shut up bitch. you've proven on more than one occassion that you'll pretend to be outraged by somone else making money, and then turn around and prove that if you had the same opportunity you'd grab it the moment it was available.