PDA

View Full Version : Bought the DVD of the film "Patton"...

Hardrock69
06-19-2006, 12:30 AM
Pretty kickass! It is a 2-disc set with a lot of cool shit on the second disc.

1. Making of the movie

2. A Bio, which also has a lot of stuff about the reality behind a lot of scenes in the film, and interviews his grandson.

His son, was George Patton III, who like his father was a career soldier and died 2 years ago. Here is a page with some newspaper obits:

http://www.arlingtoncemetery.net/gspatton.htm

3. A nice bio of one of the units in Patton's 3rd Army who got the shit kicked out of them in the Battle Of The Bulge....

Nitro Express
06-19-2006, 02:00 AM
My uncle served in the 3rd Army under Patton. He told me he saw Patton inspecting the front lines during the Battle of the Bulge.

Hardrock69
06-19-2006, 10:37 AM
THere are 3 people in my life I have always looked up to as heroes.

2 of them are fictional:

Dirty Harry Callahan

Captain James T. Kirk

The third was real:

General George S. Patton Jr.

Because these people

a) KICKED MOTHERFUCKING ASS!!!

b) did not mind bending or breaking the rules in order to get the job done RIGHT.

c) their superiors on the one hand would be giving them a reprimand, while on the other hand would be giving them high praise for saving San Francisco (Dirty Harry), Planet Earth (General Patton), Or the Universe (Capt. Kirk)from Evil.

Ya gotta admire people who go above and beyond the call of duty like that, without regard to "political" bullshit.

When I was in the aircraft biz, I was hamstrung by managers, etc. who would not solve serious problems because it would make them or someone else look bad.

FUCK THAT!

That was one reason I quit that day gig....it is hard to soar with eagles when you work with a buncha mindless chickens....

binnie
06-19-2006, 11:26 AM
Thanks for that link, I enjoyed it!

Grant
06-20-2006, 09:32 AM
Great movie that! Will be sure to check out that DVD.

Francis Ford Coppola's first Academy Award for his screenplay.