PDA

View Full Version : Final nail in Metallica's coffin

sadaist
06-21-2006, 09:07 PM
Remember when Metallica didn't even want to make a video for MTV cause they thought it was selling out? Finally they did a video for One.

I really haven't liked them since And Justice For All. A decent song here or there, but that's it. Now this new song sounds promising....until I read this. Yep folks, it's officially over.

Metallica To Voice Cartoon Characters - 6/14/2006

Metallica stars James Hetfield and Kirk Hammett have formed a cartoon band for a new TV show. The rockers have voiced characters for upcoming Cartoon Network series "Metalocalypse," which follows the exploits of a Norwegian heavy metal band called Dethklok. Other voices are provided by members of Nevermore and Arch Enemy.

Metallica was easily the best, most influential heavy metal band of the 1980s. By the 1990s, Metallica had changed the rules for all heavy metal bands; they were the leaders of the genre, respected not only by headbangers, but by mainstream record buyers and critics. The band spent most of 2000 embroiled in controversy by spearheading a legal assault on Napster, a file-sharing service that allowed users to download music files from each other's computers.

bueno bob
06-21-2006, 09:16 PM
Gay.

Very, very gay.

"Hey Gene, can we borrow a plot from ya?"

The_KiD
06-21-2006, 09:17 PM
I believe it.. Shitty..

KiD

Unchainme
06-21-2006, 09:22 PM
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TwNIABdqBxY"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TwNIABdqBxY" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Mustaine beat them to it, He Guest stared in a Daffy Duck cartoon, But it was Auctually quite good and Goddamn was it accurate because he does sound like he was raised by wolverines and raised in a lab to create kickass music.

binnie
06-22-2006, 02:54 AM
Why James Why?

Not metal at all....

Dave's Bitch
06-22-2006, 03:53 AM
"Metallica was easily the best, most influential heavy metal band of the 1980s"

that made me laugh

binnie
06-22-2006, 03:54 AM
I have to agree tho'

Dave's Bitch
06-22-2006, 03:55 AM
Originally posted by binnie
I have to agree tho'

influential yes but there were ALOT better bands out there

bueno bob
06-22-2006, 03:56 AM
Why James Why?

Same reason Gene Simmons did it - money.

And the further destruction of anything even remotely resembling bucking the mainstream, I guess...

bueno bob
06-22-2006, 03:57 AM
Oh, for fuck's sake, yes...Metallica was influencial, sure, but FAR, FAR, FAR away from being the "best" metal band of the 80's...I mean for fuck's sake, Lightning, Puppets and Justice are all virtually the same fucking album...

Dave's Bitch
06-22-2006, 03:59 AM
Originally posted by bueno bob
Oh, for fuck's sake, yes...Metallica was influencial, sure, but FAR, FAR, FAR away from being the "best" metal band of the 80's...I mean for fuck's sake, Lightning, Puppets and Justice are all virtually the same fucking album...

my point exactly

bueno bob
06-22-2006, 04:05 AM
I will say this - Ride the Lightning as a follow up to Kill 'em All was inspired genius...Master of Puppets capitalized on what worked for Ride the Lightning, but didn't really show any actual "growth", per se...Justice followed the same formula that Ride->Master established...no actual "growth", just sticking with what worked...and that was fine with me...

The black album was the first time Metallica really stretched their legs, and short of everything that got played on the radio (Enter Sandman, Unforgiven, Wherever I May Roam, Nothing Else Matters)...it was alright...just that everything that got radio time sucked and got old VERY quickly...on top of that, it was far too radio friendly for my tastes...a friendly Metallica wasn't something I approved of by a long stretch...

The downside to the black albums success is that it gave Metallica the idea that they could do anything they wanted musically and it was going to work for them in spades...and that very idea unleashed "Load of Shit", "Reload of Shit", "Shit & M", "Shit. Anger", et al...

Dave's Bitch
06-22-2006, 04:10 AM

The downside to the black albums success is that it gave Metallica the idea that they could do anything they wanted musically and it was going to work for them in spades...and that very idea unleashed "Load of Shit", "Reload of Shit", "Shit & M", "Shit. Anger", et al...

far be it from me to stick up for metallica but in fairness to them every band has atleast 2 shit albums.I mean Megadeth had Risk and Cryptic Writings,they suck almost as bad as load & Reload.....well no they dont but you get what im trying to say

bueno bob
06-22-2006, 04:16 AM
Originally posted by Dave's Bitch
far be it from me to stick up for metallica but in fairness to them every band has atleast 2 shit albums.I mean Megadeth had Risk and Cryptic Writings,they suck almost as bad as load & Reload.....well no they dont but you get what im trying to say

I see ya, sure...

All bands have at least two shitty albums...except....

OPETH!!!

bueno bob
06-22-2006, 04:16 AM
:rockit2:

Dave's Bitch
06-22-2006, 04:19 AM
:rockit2:

opeth do indeed rock,im going to see them this year,the vocals are the same guy that does hypocrisy rite?

bueno bob
06-22-2006, 04:25 AM
Originally posted by Dave's Bitch
opeth do indeed rock,im going to see them this year,the vocals are the same guy that does hypocrisy rite?

I'm not sure...his name's Michael Akerfeldt, if that helps any...I don't know about their side bands, but I do know he did vocals on a Katatonia album some years back...

Dave's Bitch
06-22-2006, 04:27 AM
I'm not sure...his name's Michael Akerfeldt, if that helps any...I don't know about their side bands, but I do know he did vocals on a Katatonia album some years back...

Hypocrisy are a band to check out though,they played wakken last year i think and they kicked ass.I like the opeth vocals,they go well with the music.My fav vocals for like heavy ass music are John Tardy's though

bueno bob
06-22-2006, 04:38 AM
I'll check 'em out...thanks for the referral... :)

fryingdutchman
06-22-2006, 05:19 AM
Looks like a "jump the shark" moment if I've ever seen one...

Mr. Vengeance
06-22-2006, 08:44 AM
Opeth blows.

Ride the Lightning= Metallica's shining moment.

LoungeMachine
06-22-2006, 08:55 AM
I clicked on this expecting to read that Spammy had signed to be the new singer of Metallica.

mako_kimura
06-22-2006, 09:52 AM
Metallica's death knell lies within that cartoon. However, we can forgive Nevermore and Arch Enemy, since they haven't practially pissed on their fans

Vinnie Velvet
06-22-2006, 10:03 AM
I will say this - Ride the Lightning as a follow up to Kill 'em All was inspired genius...Master of Puppets capitalized on what worked for Ride the Lightning, but didn't really show any actual "growth", per se...Justice followed the same formula that Ride->Master established...no actual "growth", just sticking with what worked...and that was fine with me...

The black album was the first time Metallica really stretched their legs, and short of everything that got played on the radio (Enter Sandman, Unforgiven, Wherever I May Roam, Nothing Else Matters)...it was alright...just that everything that got radio time sucked and got old VERY quickly...on top of that, it was far too radio friendly for my tastes...a friendly Metallica wasn't something I approved of by a long stretch...

Ah yes, the beginning of the "Shitalica" albums.

Redballjets88
06-22-2006, 10:10 AM
daves bitch do you like cattle decap? im seeing them tonight

Hardrock69
06-22-2006, 11:04 AM
Fucking sellout fucking loser motherfuckers.

They were great prior to 1990.

They suck ass now.

They played here in Gnashville last year or the year before.

I had a LOT of fun....at HOME.

Fuck no I did not go see them.

Now it is even more likely I will have great fun missing their shows.

:cool:

bueno bob
06-22-2006, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by Mr. Vengeance
Opeth blows.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...

Yeah, OK then...

:)

bueno bob
06-22-2006, 11:21 AM
I'll give you this, Opeth sucks if you don't like prog and/or death, or the two combined...

If that's the case, sure...

I will say this, though - for my money, Blackwater Park is the best metal album of the last ten years. Any genre, any group, any style...from anybody...

IMO, Park should go down in history as one of the ten greatest metal albums ever, period...and Deliverance should be on the same list...

binnie
06-22-2006, 11:35 AM
Opeth blows.

Ride the Lightning= Metallica's shining moment.

Gonna have to disagree, Opeth are one of the most inventive heavy bands out there.

Admitedly, they are not for all.....

bueno bob
06-22-2006, 11:50 AM
Gonna have to disagree, Opeth are one of the most inventive heavy bands out there.

Admitedly, they are not for all.....

What he said...

sadaist
06-22-2006, 02:31 PM
I saw Metallica for the LAST TIME during the Load tour. The concert made me sick. They played all the weak songs. When it came to play stuff like Leper Messiah, they would play like the 1st 60-90 seconds of it, then play the 1st 60-90 seconds of The Thing That Should Not Be. They were acting like they were being generous by giving us that much. I swear, I have never heard so many incomplete songs in my life. And their whole stage presence just had the celebrity attitude. They were more into each other and how cool they were rather than the audience and just playing the tunes.

From one of my top 5 favorite bands to not even making into my cd wallet for road trips in 5 years flat. Good job guys.

CLIFF 'EM ALL!!!!!!!!

Mr. Vengeance
06-22-2006, 03:49 PM
Well, for me, Opeth blows. Hey, you like 'em, great! I can't throw stones, since I love Nasty Savage, and I think I'm the only one. NASTY RONNIE RULES MUTHAS!!!!!

WARF
06-22-2006, 04:08 PM
Who cares???
Is this cartoon show gonna be on Adult swim... it might be cool.

Dave's Bitch
06-22-2006, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by Redballjets88
daves bitch do you like cattle decap? im seeing them tonight

i aint heard them,there death im guessing

binnie
06-22-2006, 05:43 PM
Well, for me, Opeth blows. Hey, you like 'em, great! I can't throw stones, since I love Nasty Savage, and I think I'm the only one. NASTY RONNIE RULES MUTHAS!!!!!

I remember them, I'm gonna go and dig some there stuff out now....

WARF
06-22-2006, 05:44 PM
What's up DB?!?!

Dave's Bitch
06-22-2006, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by WARF
What's up DB?!?!

HEY WARF!!!!!!!:)

not spoke to you for ages

im good atm,chillin listening to David Lee Roth The best :) (yankee Rose atm)

Anonymous
06-23-2006, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by Unchainme
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TwNIABdqBxY"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TwNIABdqBxY" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Mustaine beat them to it, He Guest stared in a Daffy Duck cartoon, But it was Auctually quite good and Goddamn was it accurate because he does sound like he was raised by wolverines and raised in a lab to create kickass music.

Pretty lame episode... especially the part where laser rays of some sort come out of Dave's guitar to destroy the Martian ships... :rolleyes: but it does has its bright moments:

* Defrosting Dave on a microwave
* The part where the Doc explains Dave where he is
* Dave asking if he can be frozen again
* The "Behind the Metal" bit is fuckin' hilarious
* Daffy Duck doin' the David Lee Roth splits!

Oh yeah, this thread is about Metallica... er...

Fuck them. Metalwho?

Cheers! :bottle: