PDA

View Full Version : Seven Charged in Alleged Plot to Blow Up Sears Tower

frets5150
06-23-2006, 02:21 PM
Seven Charged in Alleged Plot to Blow Up Sears Tower.

WASHINGTON (June 23) -- Seven young men arrested in an alleged plot against the Sears Tower were part of a group of "homegrown terrorists" who sought to work with al-Qaida but ended up conspiring with an informant, Attorney General Alberto Gonzales said Friday
Outlining an alleged plot to bomb the Sears Tower in Chicago and a federal building in Miami, Gonzales told a Justice Department news conference: "They were persons who for whatever reason came to view their home country as the enemy."

The seven individuals -- ranging in age from 22 to 32 -- were indicted by a federal grand jury in Miami. Six were taken into custody in Miami Thursday when authorities swarmed a warehouse in the Liberty City area, removing a metal door with a blow torch. A seventh was arrested in Atlanta.

The alleged terrorists -- five U.S. citizens, a legal immigrant from Haiti and a Haitian national who was in this country illegally -- were expected to appear in federal court in Miami later Friday. They had taken an oath to al-Qaida and sought help from someone they believed was a member of the terrorist organization, the indictment alleged.

Said Gonzales: "The convergence of globalization and technology has created a new brand of terrorism. Today terrorist threats come from smaller more loosely defined cells not affiliated with al-Qaida but who are inspired by a violent jihadist message, and left unchecked these homegrown terrorists may prove to be as dangerous as groups like al-Qaida."

Gonzales outlined the contents of an indictment handed up Thursday, which identified Narseal Batiste as having recruited and trained others beginning in November 2005 "for a mission to wage war against the United States government," including a plot to destroy the Sears Tower.
To obtain money and support for their mission, the conspirators sought help from al-Qaida, pledged an oath to the terrorist organization and supported an al-Qaida plot to destroy FBI buildings, the four-count indictment charged.

Batiste met several times in December 2005 with a person purporting to be an al-Qaida member and asked for boots, uniforms, machine guns, radios, vehicles and $50,000 in cash to help him build an "'Islamic Army' to wage jihad'," the indictment said. It said that Batiste said he would use his "soldiers" to destroy the Sears Tower.

Gonzales said "the individual they thought was a member of al-Qaida was present at their meetings and in actuality he was working with the South Florida Joint Terrorism Task Force."

In February 2006, it said, Batiste told the "al-Qaida representative" that he and his five soldiers wanted to attend al-Qaida training and planned a "full ground war" against the United States in order to "kill all the devils we can." His mission would "be just as good or greater than 9/11," the indictment accused Batiste of boasting.

The seven defendants were charged with conspiring to "maliciously damage and destroy by means of an explosive" the FBI building in North Miami Beach and the Sears Tower in Chicago.

They were are also charged with conspiring "to levy war against the government of the United States, and to oppose by force the authority thereof."

Residents living near the warehouse said the men taken into custody described themselves as Muslims and had tried to recruit young people to join their group. Tashawn Rose, 29, said they tried to recruit her younger brother and nephew for a karate class.

She said she talked to one of the men about a month ago. "They seemed brainwashed," she said. "They said they had given their lives to Allah."

Residents said FBI agents spent several hours in the neighborhood showing photos of the suspects and seeking information. They said the men had lived in the area for about a year.

Benjamin Williams, 17, said the group sometimes had young children with them. At times, he added, the men "would cover their faces. Sometimes they would wear things on their heads, like turbans."

Managers of the Sears Tower, the nation's tallest building, said in a statement they speak regularly with the FBI and local law enforcement about terror threats and that Thursday "was no exception."

Security at the 110-floor Sears Tower, a Chicago landmark, was ramped up after the Sept. 11 attacks, and the 103rd-floor skydeck was closed for about a month and a half.

"Law enforcement continues to tell us that they have never found evidence of a credible terrorism threat against Sears Tower that has gone beyond criminal discussions," the statement said.

In Chicago early Friday, people headed to work in the Sears Tower knew about the potential threat but didn't plan to change their routines.

In addition to Batiste and Augustin the defendants were identified as Patrick Abraham, or "Brother Pat"; Stanley Grant Phanor, or "Brother Sunni"; Naudimar Herrera or "Brother Naudy"; Lyglenson Lemorin, also known as "Brother Levi" or Brother Levi-El"; and Rotschild Augustine, or "Brother Rot."

Lemorin was arrested in Atlanta.

Joseph Phanor, the father of defendant Stanley Grant Phanor, said he didn't believe "anything they say about" his son being involved in a terrorist plot.

"This boy, he's not a violent boy. He never got into trouble. ... He didn't want to kill people," the elder Phanor told The Associated Press.

He said his son and his friends studied the Bible together in Miami. "All I know is that they have a construction job there and they have a contract to do some construction job. That's what he told me," he said.

The person they believed to be an al-Qaida representative gave Batiste a digital video camera, which Batiste said he would use to record pictures of the North Miami Beach FBI building, the indictment said. At a March 26 meeting, it went on, Batiste and Burson Augustin provided the "al-Qaida representative" with photographs of the FBI building, as well as video footage of other Miami government buildings, and discussed the plot to bomb the FBI building.

But on May 24, the indictment said, Batiste told the "al-Qaida representative" that he was experiencing delays "because of various problems within his organization." Batiste said he wanted to continue his mission and his relationship with al-Qaida nonetheless, the document said.

It's not the Arabs anymore now it's the Haitian's

:rolleyes:

frets5150
06-23-2006, 02:23 PM
Who's the next Scape Goat The ITALIANS? :mad:

Angel
06-23-2006, 02:37 PM
It'll be the usual.....

BLAME CANADA

jcook11
06-23-2006, 02:44 PM
"NOTHIN TO SEE HERE FOLKS.....MOVE ALONG!"

frets5150
06-23-2006, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by jcook11
"NOTHIN TO SEE HERE FOLKS.....MOVE ALONG!"

Glad to see you speak for everyone here.:rolleyes:

frets5150
06-23-2006, 03:38 PM
The person they believed to be an al-Qaida representative gave Batiste a digital video camera, which Batiste said he would use to record pictures of the North Miami Beach FBI building

The person they believed to be an al-Qaida ? PLEASE eveything is planned by
Al-Qaida

Hardrock69
06-23-2006, 04:07 PM
They interviewed a person who was supposedly a member of the group on CNN...I saw the piece this morning...he said they read the BIBLE a lot, and that for them to be called "terrists" is some kind of joke.

jcook11
06-23-2006, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by frets5150
Glad to see you speak for everyone here.:rolleyes:

Hey Frets, I was being sarcastic. It's really a no win situation. If you catch the guys before they pull something off you're fucked. If you wait until after they pull something off you're fucked.

frets5150
06-23-2006, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by jcook11
Hey Frets, I was being sarcastic. It's really a no win situation. If you catch the guys before they pull something off you're fucked. If you wait until after they pull something off you're fucked.

Yeah so was I.

frets5150
06-24-2006, 08:33 AM
Since the BCE and the Government like to make up people for their story plot I might as well also.
Here you have the Italians all of them don't exist anymore just like the above mentioned and al-Qaida never did.

So first it was the Arabs now the Haitian's who's next
The Irish,Germans,Chinks,Russians who?

Fuck the BCE and the Government. FUCK THEM ALL TO HELL!!!

:mad:

frets5150
06-24-2006, 09:14 AM
:cato2:

LoungeMachine
06-24-2006, 10:04 AM
Guitar Shark is a card carrying member of Al-Qaida.

Betcha didn't know that.

:cool:

BigBadBrian
06-24-2006, 12:21 PM
Since the BCE and the Government like to make up people for their story plot I might as well also.

There is no BCE. Get your nose out of FORD's ass.

:gulp:

frets5150
06-24-2006, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian
There is no BCE. Get your nose out of FORD's ass.

:gulp:

First off my nose is not in Fords ass.Maybe you should get your head out of Chimps ass Better yet get your head out of your own ass. Great responce BTW.

bobgnote
06-26-2006, 03:43 PM
Those illegal though deregulated, FATALLY INFLATIONARY power deals of 2000-1 mean we may NOT fund Israel, since those cut our schools and military bases, then finish off ALL our infrastructure, including the two bogus missions, doomed by budget constrictions, cost CANCER, from the stupid git-go.

So why do any stupids manage to get off their leashes, TO GET UP AND GO?! Bad policies abound, and log-cabin dogs, off-leash.

Any main tower in any major city could go, but Al Queda has consistently offered timely explosions in several. The impending major HazMat or other bombs will involve NYC, DC, Atlanta, LA, from definite assurances, to be inferred, from past Al Queda bombings.

Any threats exceeding these are beyond Al Queda. Why Sheik al Zawahiri plainly states, that he would attack more severely, is he has accepted a disciplined, media-sensitive Al Queda agenda, to determine IF any Western media deserves ANY AT ALL benefit of doubt, in the 21st Century.

Probably NOT, from the look of you all, over several stupid years.

jcook11
06-26-2006, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by bobgnote
Those illegal though deregulated, FATALLY INFLATIONARY power deals of 2000-1 mean we may NOT fund Israel, since those cut our schools and military bases, then finish off ALL our infrastructure, including the two bogus missions, doomed by budget constrictions, cost CANCER, from the stupid git-go.

So why do any stupids manage to get off their leashes, TO GET UP AND GO?! Bad policies abound, and log-cabin dogs, off-leash.

Any main tower in any major city could go, but Al Queda has consistently offered timely explosions in several. The impending major HazMat or other bombs will involve NYC, DC, Atlanta, LA, from definite assurances, to be inferred, from past Al Queda bombings.

Any threats exceeding these are beyond Al Queda. Why Sheik al Zawahiri plainly states, that he would attack more severely, is he has accepted a disciplined, media-sensitive Al Queda agenda, to determine IF any Western media deserves ANY AT ALL benefit of doubt, in the 21st Century.

Probably NOT, from the look of you all, over several stupid years.

******crickets chirping******:bananna:

Switch84
06-27-2006, 04:41 AM
:p These allegations are false for the simple FACT that a black man can't buy a pack of gum without having paranoid crackas riding his ass.

LMMFAOBT :D

ULTRAMAN VH
06-27-2006, 06:19 AM
No, it is a fact how easily uneducated people can be manipulated to a cause that is insane. Stay in school boys and girls.

FORD
06-27-2006, 06:35 AM
Originally posted by Angel
It'll be the usual.....

BLAME CANADA

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FjLLUdePnjY"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FjLLUdePnjY" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Ellyllions
06-27-2006, 08:40 AM
So, what do we do?

Do we just sit back and scream civil rights until we turn into a battleground?

We're getting considerate to a fault. Terrorists laws should include your local gang bangers too. And in my uneducated opinion, anyone acting/behaving/posing as someone intending to do harm to any other human being on the planet should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law no matter color, creed, or status.

Sorry, folks, but I'm all for this movement and the "take down" of these 7 no matter what they were or weren't up to. In my eyes, this is just another example of people not wanting the laws enforced unless they themselves are a clear victim.

LoungeMachine
06-27-2006, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by ULTRAMAN VH
No, it is a fact how easily uneducated people can be manipulated to a cause that is insane.

Hence, the Republican party.

:cool:

ULTRAMAN VH
06-27-2006, 12:24 PM
Oh and the Democratic party is just squeaky clean.

FORD
06-27-2006, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by Ellyllions
So, what do we do?

Do we just sit back and scream civil rights until we turn into a battleground?

We're getting considerate to a fault. Terrorists laws should include your local gang bangers too. And in my uneducated opinion, anyone acting/behaving/posing as someone intending to do harm to any other human being on the planet should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law no matter color, creed, or status.

Sorry, folks, but I'm all for this movement and the "take down" of these 7 no matter what they were or weren't up to. In my eyes, this is just another example of people not wanting the laws enforced unless they themselves are a clear victim.

Labelling a bunch of homeless Haitian kids as "terrorists" when they were nothing of the kind isn't the solution.

Bottom line is that we have an existing system of law enforcement and courts for those who commit crimes. Those who have NOT committed any crimes are by definition, NOT criminals. Nor are they "terrorists" and they certainly are not any made up bullshit category like "enemy combatants".

Work within the existing Constitutional laws of the United States, don't sell out to this BCE-PNAC fascism.

Ellyllions
06-27-2006, 01:01 PM
I don't see this as fascism.

I see it as an attempt by local law enforcement agencies to recognize and stop a potential threat. Those who are innocent will be found as such once before a jury of their peers.

What's fascist is taking a non-commital stance against everyone in local, state, and federal law enforcement tries to do. Sure question everything but that also means questioning the persons in the defendants chairs as well.

The feds didn't bring these guys in. The Miami-Dade officials did. And I'm willing to trust law enforcement to make these determinations before I am some journalist who has their own livelyhood to think about when writing a story.

Ellyllions
06-27-2006, 01:06 PM
To add, I've got some great friends who work in that department in Miami, and I'd trust them with my life 100%. They work hard, are fantastic citizens, and do it because they love people.

I can't think for a second (out of the 20 that I know personally), that would be led to do something because of any kind of agenda.

They're good folk and I trust them to know what they're doing.

Dr. Love
06-27-2006, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by Angel
It'll be the usual.....

BLAME CANADA

I'm on board with this.

Switch84
06-28-2006, 03:10 AM
Originally posted by ULTRAMAN VH
No, it is a fact how easily uneducated people can be manipulated to a cause that is insane. Stay in school boys and girls.

:p :rolleyes: I had it right the first time. Are you black? If so, you'd know that I'm right and you would've laughed in agreement when you read it. I find it funny that (more often than not) when I go shopping, I'm instantly accosted at the door by the help, asking if I need any. While they tag along with me throughout the store, they're not aware of the blue-eyed blonde that's pulling a 'Winona Ryder' and loading her bag to the gills with stolen shit! I don't tell them, either.

There's no way those guys could've bought explosives and shit, because NOONE WOULD SELL IT TO THEM.

4moreyears
06-28-2006, 04:32 AM
Here you have the Italians all of them don't exist anymore just like the above mentioned and al-Qaida never did.

So first it was the Arabs now the Haitian's who's next
The Irish,Germans,Chinks,Russians who?

Fuck the BCE and the Government. FUCK THEM ALL TO HELL!!!

:mad:

Ford is this you? Ford!!! Ford!!! Can you hear me?

Nickdfresh
06-28-2006, 09:16 PM
I'm sure these guys weren't innocent. But they seemed about as capable of pulling off a terrorist attack as a group of radical Brownies©...

Ellyllions
06-29-2006, 10:15 AM
Ya know, there was a time when enemies feared American's walking on the battlefield....too bad we're seen as big suckers now.

FORD
06-29-2006, 12:14 PM
Ya know, there was a time when enemies feared American's walking on the battlefield....too bad we're seen as big suckers now.

There was also a time when America didn't start wars. Or purposely kill civillians. Or torture.

And that time wasn't very long ago. Chimp has not only damaged our country internally, he has damaged our international reputation so badly that it may never be repaired.

Switch84
06-30-2006, 02:27 AM
Originally posted by FORD
There was also a time when America didn't start wars. Or purposely kill civillians. Or torture.

And that time wasn't very long ago. Chimp has not only damaged our country internally, he has damaged our international reputation so badly that it may never be repaired.

:rolleyes: A kegger of Libby Kool-aid CUMMIN' UP! In this perfect little fairy world you tend to regress to (with warp speed), no feelings are ever hurt, people never die and they ALL love each other, don't they?

The problem with people that think like you is it softens the backbone. In an attempt to please everyone we destroy ourselves. I don't give a FUCK what the world thinks about US. The world isn't a popularity contest. Our first priority and obligation is to this nation. I've always felt this way, irregardless of who's in office. That includes ridding this nation of REAL terror...gang bangers, child molesters, murderers, rapists, and other urban scum. Democrats AND Republicans have failed miserably in that venture.

My favorite Rothism says it succinctly...

Nickdfresh
06-30-2006, 05:23 AM
How did the invasion of Iraq in any way harden our backbone. The War has only made us weaker by depleting our resources and preventing a final victory in Afghanistan (which the Taliban control a full one-third of at this point)...

Ellyllions
06-30-2006, 08:22 AM
In my opinion, I think the honest to God problem in this country is that we don't understand each other anymore. We've got a huge age gap. The younger generation feels more "worldly" because of easy access to other socieities through the internet and globalization of television, and the older generation is conditioned to be afraid of consequences therefore taking a hardlined approach to how things should be.

The younger generation hasn't ever experienced hardship the likes of the older generation so sees no tangible danger. While the older generation knows what it's like to be "broke" and dealing with the hardships that come ith being at War. They understand better what War means. It's not diplomatic or clean. But the older generation can live without when the need calls for it.

DEMON CUNT
06-30-2006, 08:44 AM
In my opinion, I think the honest to God problem in this country is that we don't understand each other anymore. We've got a huge age gap. The younger generation feels more "worldly" because of easy access to other socieities through the internet and globalization of television, and the older generation is conditioned to be afraid of consequences therefore taking a hardlined approach to how things should be.

The younger generation hasn't ever experienced hardship the likes of the older generation so sees no tangible danger. While the older generation knows what it's like to be "broke" and dealing with the hardships that come ith being at War. They understand better what War means. It's not diplomatic or clean. But the older generation can live without when the need calls for it.

Hey Ellyllions,

I may not agree with some of your views... I do have to say that I enjoy your thoughtful comments.

DC

Ellyllions
06-30-2006, 08:56 AM
Well thank you, DC.
I enjoy yours as well...

4moreyears
06-30-2006, 01:17 PM
Link (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13615941/)

One of these fuckers confessed. I hope they all get the death penalty.

FORD
06-30-2006, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by Switch84
:rolleyes: A kegger of Libby Kool-aid CUMMIN' UP!

No thanks. I'll stick with my Obsidian Stout :gulp:

In this perfect little fairy world you tend to regress to (with warp speed), no feelings are ever hurt, people never die and they ALL love each other, don't they?

That would indeed be a perfect world. But that isn't what's being discussed here, is it?

The problem with people that think like you is it softens the backbone. In an attempt to please everyone we destroy ourselves. I don't give a FUCK what the world thinks about US. The world isn't a popularity contest.

The terrorists who weren't created by the CIA/BCE themselves were created in response to those terrorists. So how the US is viewed by the world has a great deal to do with what is done in our name overseas.

Our first priority and obligation is to this nation.

Should be, but it isn't. And it hasn't been since at least 1949. Korea was not this nation. Nor was Vietnam. Nor was Iraq.

I've always felt this way, irregardless of who's in office. That includes ridding this nation of REAL terror...gang bangers, child molesters, murderers, rapists, and other urban scum. Democrats AND Republicans have failed miserably in that venture.

So then why do you continue to support the illegal occupation of another country?