PDA

View Full Version : Blizzard Of Ozz VS Diary Of A Madman

Mr Badguy
06-25-2006, 04:52 AM
Alright, Binnie`s thread about "Bark at the moon" or "The ultimate sin" was good, but let`s debate which is the real jewel of Ozzy`s crown and figure out which is your favourite of these monsters.

His whole career is built on these metal masterpieces.

"Blizzard of Ozz" on paper looks like the strongest album, containing most of Ozzy`s classic songs ("I don`t know", "Crazy train", "Mr Crowley", "Suicide solution") which have been the cornerstone of his live shows since day one. This is also the album which drew the world`s attention to the superior writing and playing of the instantly legendary Randy Rhoads. This album is a bona fide classic, although not a flawless one with the less than brilliant "No bone movies" and the good but not great "Steal away (the night)" saved only by Rhoads amazing guitar work. I also think that the sound on this album could`ve been better, with the guitar being a bit muddy. It never stopped people from buying it, though, as it instantly launched Ozzy from zero to hero in America.

"Diary of a madman" is the more ambitious follow up. The arrangements and use of orchestras and multi tracked vocals and guitars meant that very little of this album has ever been performed live on stage. Although both Ozzy and Randy Rhoads have said that the recording was rushed to follow "Blizzard of Ozz" quickly, there are no bad songs here and the playing is phenomenal from Rhoads and the rhythm section of bassist Bob Daisley and drummer Lee Kerslake. Whereas "Blizzard of Ozz" is more or less a collection of ordinary rock songs, "Diary of a madman" seems to have been designed to get Ozzy over as a...erm..madman, with songs like "Believer" and the title track being a lot darker and "Flying high again" playing on drug references. There is a strong melodic side present also with the epic "You can`t kill Rock n Roll" and the ballad "Tonight" (perhaps his best) and Rhoads`s firey guitar playing is the backbone of "Over the mountain" and "S.A.T.O". The production is better than "Blizzard.." with all the instrumants being loud and clear and Rhoads`s guitar sound could plane a plank of wood. Unfortunately his death in March 1982 made this his very premature swan song.

Both great metal albums but which is the best?

(PS Fuck you Ozzy for overdubbing them in 2004)

binnie
06-25-2006, 05:01 AM
Wow, that's a really difficult one.

I'd have to go with Blizzard, for me you can debate the strength of the songs on the two records, production etc, but what it boils down to is ENERGY and Blizzard sounded like a man with something to prove, and the bands just rocked their asses off.

In my opinion even the lesser trakcs are memeborable, No bone Movies - that riff is just going round in my head now.

Steal Away the Night is so catchy, Ozzy at his best as far as vocal lines go.

That's not to slam Diary, it's an incredible record. Flying High Again is amazing, as is Over the Mountains and Believer (my fave Ozzy solo song.)

Like I say, to me blizzard wins because the feel of the record, the energy, just seems to capture the moment in which it was made.

I'm interested to hear what the rest of you think, great idea for a thread Mr. Badguy.

MERRYKISSMASS2U
06-25-2006, 05:04 AM
Over the mountain was an awesome song. So is Flying High Again, Little Dolls, Believer, SATO, and Diary of a Madman. the others are good, but not my faves.

As for Blizzard of Oz, the best tracks to me are : I Don't Know, Crazy Train, Goodbye to Romance, Suicide Solution, Mr Crowley (FUCKING KILLER LIVE),.

5 best tracks from each album... the leftovers on Diary are stronger than Oz... so I think Diary is my favorite.

Shaun Ponsonby
06-25-2006, 10:35 AM
To me, "Diary..." just sounds like the unused songs from "Blizzard". Still killer, but second best.

For a long time "Blizzard..." was my favourite album, so, I'm going with that.

Jérôme Frenchise
06-25-2006, 01:16 PM
"Blizzard", because no track in "Diary" rivals with "I Don't Know", "Crazy Train" or my fave "No Bone Movies" and its elastic riff.

I dig Diary too, though. :cool:

Terry
06-25-2006, 09:00 PM
Man, that's a tough one.

I agree that Diary had a crisper sound than Blizzard, which DID and still does sound muddled. Not a lot of high EQ going on when it could have been used to punch up some of the tunes, especially on the solos.

But I think Blizzard has more tunes on it that I dig than Diary.

First side of Diary is utterly brilliant. Second side is KINDA hit or miss:

Little Dolls seems unfinished, to me. Like it could have benefitted from more work.

Tonight is kinda power-ballady to me, and this was before the term even entered the lexicon.

S.A.T.O. cooks. Ozzy once said he skips the tune when he listens to the album, but I dig it.

The title track is great.

I think I'm gonna have to give Blizzard the edge, though. Some great lyrics on that album. Plus, it doesn't really even have one weak track on it for me: even No Bone Movies has a measure of bawdy, simplistic charm. Shame about the mix, though.

binnie
06-28-2006, 06:48 AM
I listened to these two back to back last night.

I still think that Blizzard is superior, but it seems to me that Randy's solos were much stronger on Diary - seemed to have more spontaneity to them.

Don't get me wrong the solo in "Mr. Crowley" is the best on both records, but overall I think Randy performed better on Diary.

"Over the Mountain", "Believer" and "Tonight" all have exceptional solo's.

Anyone else agree?

The_KiD
06-28-2006, 07:00 AM
I love both albums but Diary is my fav. The way it opens with "Over the Mountain" and has "Flying High Again" is just great. Not to mention, I love the song "Diary of a Madman".

KiD

ThrillsNSpills
06-28-2006, 08:01 AM
I gave it to Diary but both are classic.

Diary was rushed; I remember a Randy interview where he said the Little Dolls solo was the scratch track and he didn't have time to fix.
Proof that his minimalist solos could still give you the chills.

Randy Boots for you (http://www.angelfire.com/ca/HONEYCOMBHIDEOUT/mp3backup.html) mp3 though

I couldn't get into studio Suicide Solution after hearing the amazing extended live versions.

And it is amazing to me that Randy had never heard the original song Black Sabbath, yet those 3 notes are in the solo to Over the Mountain.

BruinJer
06-28-2006, 01:07 PM
Blizzard is an amazing album, Randy is the ultimate Rock guitarist but everything that Blizzard is/was, Diary was but at that next level. Blizzard was the frist (or one of the first) Hard Rock/ Metal albums that really fused classical & hard rock guitar playing. On Diary, Randy made it even DARKER & more calssical. The solos at the end of Tonight, Little Dolls & You Can't Kill Rock 'N' Roll are STILL the most mind blowing solos I have ever heard. One can only wonder what Randy was capable of doing on the 3rd studio album... but, the world will never know. I hope that Sharon releases any studio outtakes or extended tracks or the After Hours stuff in a Randy box set... it would be a fitting tribute for a true rock guitar legend.

http://www.metal-rules.com/zine/images/stories/interviews/rudysarzo/randy2.jpg

1984dlrvh12
06-28-2006, 02:04 PM
im gonna go with blizzard of ozz because nuthin could beat crazy train and i dont know in my opinion.

saint
06-28-2006, 03:02 PM
Blizzard or Diary

I Don't Know or Over The Mountain Winner Blizzard
Crazy Train or Flying High Again Winner Blizzard
Goodbye To Romance or You Can't Kill Rock and Roll Winner Diary
Dee or Believer Winner Diary
Suicide Solution or Little Dolls Winner Blizzard
Mr. Crowley or Tonight Winner Blizzard
No Bones Movies or S.A.T.O. Winner Blizzard
Revelation or Diary of a Madman Winner Diary
Steal Away W.O

Blizzard of Ozz winns 5 to 3

This was the one of the first rock albums I heard and it blow me away, and to this day I still think it is one of the best, definetly a top 5 Diary of a madman a top 10

DeadMan1984
12-18-2006, 02:43 AM
Diary hands down, all killer & no filler as they say. While Blizzard is a great record it has it's lesser moments (for me at least) in Steal Away, No Bone Movies, and Mr. Crowley (please don't flame me for that pick lol).

ELVIS
12-18-2006, 11:42 AM
Steal Away The Night is one of my all time favorite songs...

:elvis:

CROWBAR
12-18-2006, 11:47 AM
I like both a lot, but went with Blizzard.

Hardrock69
12-18-2006, 03:25 PM
Me too.

I was fortunate enough to see Ozzy in February of 1982...only about a month before Randy died.
UFO opened.....and (this is an example of how hard it was to get current info on bands) I was thrilled because I thought I woud get to see Michael Schenker.

NOT! :mad:

Shit he had left like one or 2wo years before. :rolleyes:

I di dnot see him live until 1999. But that made up for it.

Anyway, I prefer Blizzard slightly.

Ozzy/Sharon can suck my fucking dick for what they did to Lee Kerslake/Bob Daisley.

Fuck those motherfuckers.

Mr. Vengeance
12-18-2006, 07:06 PM
Love them both. I have to say I probably like Diary a little more. Just a killer guitar solo on Over the Mountain. Flying High Again is one of my favorite songs to sing along with in the car. Little Dolls, You Can't Kill Rock n Roll, Believer, SATO...every song is great. I give the slight edge to Diary.

Tiki-Tom
12-20-2006, 03:28 AM
Like them pretty much the same. So much so that it would depend on what day of the week you ask me. On monday I would maybe say Diary. On tuesday Blizzard wins.
Today...........Diary has my vote. They both kick ass!!!

SparkieD
12-20-2006, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by Hardrock69
Ozzy/Sharon can suck my fucking dick for what they did to Lee Kerslake/Bob Daisley.

Fuck those motherfuckers.

Careful now. Sharon might Fed-Ex you a box of her shit if she finds out you said that.

My vote is with Blizzard.

binnie
12-20-2006, 09:34 AM
To me, Blizzard just feels better - I can't explain it but there's magic on that record....

ace diamond
12-22-2006, 03:30 PM
diary of a madman gets my vote.
heavier,darker,more gloomy...a real scorcher!

the popularity of blizzard over shadows this one, but i think this record was actually the better of the 2.