PDA

View Full Version : Maiden...A Matter of Life and Death...

bueno bob
06-25-2006, 08:31 AM
From Blabbermouth...
-------------------------

Swedish newspaper Aftonbladet has published three articles on IRON MAIDEN and their upcoming album, "A Matter of Life and Death" — one where the band members talk about how smooth the recording process was, one that describes the new album and one account of the band's reactions while watching England playing Sweden in the soccer World Cup. Links to the articles and translations of some of the highlights can be found at MaidenFans.com.

As previously reported, "A Matter of Life and Death", is scheduled for release on September 5 via Sanctuary Records.

The band started writing songs at the end of 2005 after a short break from their hugely successful festival appearances in Europe and the USA. After Christmas, the songs were completed and rehearsed when the band then got together with producer Kevin "Caveman" Shirley at Sarm West Studios in London to start work on recording the backing tracks.

As on previous projects all of the tracks were performed live and together in one room. No click tracks or computer tightening or manipulation has happened at any stage of the recording.

"A Matter of Life and Death" track listing:

01. Different Worlds (Smith/Harris) 4:17
02. These Colours Don't Run (Smith/Harris/Dickinson) 6:52
03. Brighter Than a Thousand Suns (Smith/Harris/Dickinson) 8:44
04. The Pilgrim (Gers/Harris) 5:07
05. The Longest Day (Smith/Harris/Dickinson) 7:48
06. Out Of the Shadows (Dickinson/Harris) 5:36
07. The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg (Murray/Harris) 7:21
08. For The Greater Good of God (Harris) 9:24
09. Lord Of Light (Smith/Harris/Dickinson) 7:23
10. The Legacy (Gers/Harris) 9:20

The band have just announced tour dates in Japan and the majority of the European dates at the end of 2006 are already sold out.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Myself?

Can't wait...so long as it's better than Dance of Death was...

bueno bob
06-25-2006, 08:33 AM
Steve Harris is also talking about this possibly being Maiden's last album...moving on with his life and having time to go and do other things...

This might the tour to catch them...

binnie
06-25-2006, 08:45 AM
Can't wait for it myself.

Not expecting it to touch theri 80's heyday, but they usually put out solid records.

I actaully prefered "Dance of Death" to "Brave New World", but I accept that I am in the minority on that one.

Thanks for posting that Bob - looks like there'll be some classic Maiden epics on this one!

bueno bob
06-25-2006, 08:53 AM
Yeah...I was preferential to BNW, myself...

This is supposed to be a concept album, right?

binnie
06-25-2006, 09:02 AM
You mean the new one? From what I've heard yeah it is supposed to be a concept record.

Maiden were always quite good at them, so i'm not too worried.

Seventh Son of a Seventh Son was awesome.

bueno bob
06-25-2006, 09:06 AM
Some of the titles look like they could sound somewhat 7th Son'ish...I gotta say, I'm pretty interested in hearing what "The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg" sounds like...

Mr Badguy
06-25-2006, 09:17 AM
Not a very catchy album title.

I liked "Dance of death" although it was more a collection of songs than a cohesive album, it never seems to settle into any kind of swagger or good pace.

With Maiden you always know what you`re going to get and judging by those song titles the that`s exactly what this is.

Again only one self-penned by Steve Harris.

Looks like the days of him churning out half an album by himself are over.

Shaun Ponsonby
06-25-2006, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by bueno bob
Steve Harris is also talking about this possibly being Maiden's last album...moving on with his life and having time to go and do other things...

This might the tour to catch them...

I hope not. What will happen to the metal world? Priest and Motorhead will be the only great ones left.

binnie
06-25-2006, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by Shaun Ponsonby
I hope not. What will happen to the metal world? Priest and Motorhead will be the only great ones left.

I hop they carry on too, but I'd hate it too get to the point where Maiden start knocking out shit because their hearts aren't in it.

We'd still have Metallica. They may be past their studio prime, but live they still kick ass.

Shaun Ponsonby
06-25-2006, 11:03 AM
True, but I've never rated Metallica with Priest, Motorhead, Maiden etc...

bueno bob
06-25-2006, 11:41 AM
Steve said, essentially, "I've always said from the beginning that Maiden would release 15 studio albums...this will be the 15th...it's sad to think about it ending, but there's a lot of things in life that I'd like to do that I've never had time for, because of Maiden...and there's not any real sadness in the work itself, because I'm very proud of the body of work we've done over the years..."

Etc etc...that's not quite ver batim, but it's close enough for government work...

binnie
06-25-2006, 01:04 PM
All things come to an end, it's not like us fans haven't had enough Maiden over the years is it?

Still, I'd be surprised if he can hang his bass up...

nosuchluck
06-25-2006, 02:35 PM
i don't expect much from this...
'Dance of Death' was terribly disappointing and BNW wasn't all that great either(better than DoD though)

look at the length of the songs - i can already predict the song structures...

stratovarious
06-25-2006, 11:44 PM
this is great news, apart from the fact that its the last album :( BUT THEY STILL WONT COME TO AUSTRALIA..

bueno bob
06-26-2006, 03:21 AM
Originally posted by stratovarious
this is great news, apart from the fact that its the last album :( BUT THEY STILL WONT COME TO AUSTRALIA..

Well...they haven't said anything about last tour, though...

Anything's possible... :)

1984dlrvh12
06-26-2006, 04:19 AM
its gonna suck if they throw the towel in their awsome. ill definitley check the new album out though.

Hardrock69
06-26-2006, 11:35 AM
I seriously want their Death On The Road DVD, however there still appears to be no release date in the US....

Shaun Ponsonby
06-26-2006, 12:29 PM
The thing is, Maiden aren't a nostalgia band-they always plug A LOT of new material. OK, they did the Early Years thing at festivals last year, but they were promoting the DVD. So, I can't see them touring unless they've got something to promote.

binnie
06-26-2006, 12:42 PM
They are touring the UK in December, I think.

Trivium are supporting.

I imagine a world tour will follow with the new album being due....

Shaun Ponsonby
06-26-2006, 01:01 PM
Yup. Got my tix the day they went on sale.

binnie
06-27-2006, 03:34 AM
Steve said, essentially, "I've always said from the beginning that Maiden would release 15 studio albums...this will be the 15th...it's sad to think about it ending, but there's a lot of things in life that I'd like to do that I've never had time for, because of Maiden...and there's not any real sadness in the work itself, because I'm very proud of the body of work we've done over the years..."

Etc etc...that's not quite ver batim, but it's close enough for government work...

Have there been 14 studio albums?

Iron Maiden

Killers

Number of the Beast

Piece of Mind

Powerslave

Somewhere in Time

Seventh Son of a Seventh Son

No Prayer for the Dying

Fear of the Dark

Virtual XI

X Factor

Brave New World

Dance of Death

I make that 13, have I missed one?

doctor roth
06-29-2006, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by binnie
Can't wait for it myself.

I actaully prefered "Dance of Death" to "Brave New World", but I accept that I am in the minority on that one.

Nope, not alone dude. I really like dance of death. If i had to choose, probably more so than brave new world.

bueno bob
06-29-2006, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by binnie
Have there been 14 studio albums?

Iron Maiden

Killers

Number of the Beast

Piece of Mind

Powerslave

Somewhere in Time

Seventh Son of a Seventh Son

No Prayer for the Dying

Fear of the Dark

Virtual XI

X Factor

Brave New World

Dance of Death

I make that 13, have I missed one?

Actually...no...unless Steve's counting "Best of the Beast" since it had Virus and Blaze's version of Afraid to Shoot Strangers...but that would seem kinda odd...

binnie
06-29-2006, 11:10 AM
Actually...no...unless Steve's counting "Best of the Beast" since it had Virus and Blaze's version of Afraid to Shoot Strangers...but that would seem kinda odd...

All those years playing at a million decibels have ruined Steve's mind perhaps....

Vinnie Velvet
06-29-2006, 11:28 AM
I liked Dance of Death.

However, those very long intros they had on some songs really got boring -- it was like "okay, so when does the song REALLY get going???"

The new album sounds promising.

If Maiden retire, I hope they don't retire as a touring act as well -- maybe a recording act -- but I hope they still tour and do more shows in North America.

Mr. Vengeance
06-29-2006, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by Hardrock69
I seriously want their Death On The Road DVD, however there still appears to be no release date in the US....

It's been out in Canada for some time now.

Dave's Dradle
06-29-2006, 11:43 AM
No disrespect meant to VH, but Maiden is the best live band I have ever seen.

bueno bob
06-30-2006, 03:53 AM
They are very solid, no doubting that.

I've never had the pleasure to see CVH live, so...I can't judge there...