PDA

View Full Version : Interleague play

Bob_R
06-25-2006, 01:55 PM
Do you like interleague play? Or do you think MLB should do away with it?

ALinChainz
06-25-2006, 02:11 PM
I was against it in the beginning, but you can't aruge with what it does for the fans. Getting a look at teams and players you may never see in a season is smart for attendence, and the new rivalries make for good games.

The Tigers for example. Last week in Wrigley, and the Cardinals in Detroit this weekend. Seeing Leyland and LaRussa matching wits is a cool side story.

POJO_Risin
06-25-2006, 02:38 PM
at first...I liked it...not really sure why...can't remember...but I liked it...

but now...I don't know...

watching the NHL this year...with Edmonton playing Carolina for the first time...

brought me back to the days where you'd see match ups you've never seen before...

Now...it's not the same...

I think it's another way for Selig to branch over his shitty tenure...

"Well...look at all the new match-ups I've brought...and extra revenue..."

blah...blah...blah...

IMO...it's served it's purpose...

get rid of it...and let the Indians play more games with the Yankees and the Red Sox...teams I traditionally like to see play...who play only 6 games...when they used to play 12...just makes no sense to me...

Va Beach VH Fan
06-25-2006, 06:04 PM
Well, it depends on who you talk to...

If you're in an area with geographic rivals, you love it....

And therefore, MLB and ESPN love it...

Yankees/Mets, Sox/Cubs, and Giants/A's are prime examples of that...

But the majority of the rest of them are pretty much ho-hum....

I know in Pittsburgh, we'd love to see the Indians for home and home series for interleague play....

You don't get a much better city rivalry that Pittsburgh/Cleveland....

And in fact we did play the Tribe this year, but only because we're playing the AL Central this year...

But MLB considers the Reds the natural rival for the Tribe, so there you have it....

ALinChainz
06-25-2006, 11:23 PM
With steroids and the recent CBA battle, catering to the fans at the turnstyles is the priority.

redblkwht
06-26-2006, 02:13 AM
I think its all about the revenue
now, i dont see them changing it either.

I miss the cubs cards series
the more games, & a bigger east/west
coast rivalries in the NL.

It is what it is, hopefully it goes back to the old, my vote is cast too. we'll see.

EbDawson
06-26-2006, 02:24 AM
Keep it. Play only 3 games series, nothing after Sept. 1. Gives fans a chance to see players they never would otherwise. Most of the complaining has been from Nat'l league players crying about the DH. STFU and collect your millions.

redblkwht
06-26-2006, 02:29 AM
Originally posted by EbDawson
Keep it. Play only 3 games series, nothing after Sept. 1. Gives fans a chance to see players they never would otherwise. Most of the complaining has been from Nat'l league players crying about the DH. STFU and collect your millions. nah, i dig deeper series..
ala redsox yanks, whitesox cleve, SF vs LA..the good old days.

EbDawson
06-26-2006, 02:44 AM
Originally posted by redblkwht
nah, i dig deeper series..
ala redsox yanks, whitesox cleve, SF vs LA..the good old days.

Intra-league still would be 4 game stuff, just keep the intra-league series to 3 games.

Whatever.

bobgnote
06-28-2006, 06:16 PM
You want it, even if you are the doomed NL.

You get into the other league's style, four times a year, pre-season, IL exchanges, All-Star Break, and LCS-World Series.

Don't make that less, or MLB will be bogus. The NL will eventually have to adopt the DH, or it will tend to LOSE, even more than it loses.

The DH is a developmental advantage, compounded over time. If the AL sees the NL, it kills it. If the NL leaves the AL, it dies. DH rules.

Barry will be a Mariner. Then they will tend to rule.

Bob_R
07-04-2006, 05:18 PM
Since regualr season interleague play is now over for 2006 does anyone know the final win-loss totals.

I'm sure the AL kicked ass.

Va Beach VH Fan
07-04-2006, 07:57 PM
154-98, AL....

monkeythe
07-05-2006, 12:43 AM
It really made the WS more exciting in 2000. Remeber when Clemes had to pitch against Piazza. Everyone was buzzing about what would happen after Clemens beaned him earlier in the season. There would not have been that anticipation or the infamous bat tossing uncident had there not been interleague play.

POJO_Risin
07-05-2006, 01:32 PM
it sucks...period...

weird seeing the Tribe playing St. Louis this year...

ah well...

whatever...

ALinChainz
07-05-2006, 01:34 PM
Of course people like it when it helps their team.

I know the Tigers were 15-3 vs the NL ... I believe the Red Sox were 16-2.

Guitar Shark
07-05-2006, 01:35 PM
Since interleague play seems to be the only time the Mariners win, I say.. INTERLEAGUE ALL THE TIME, BABY!!

ALinChainz
07-05-2006, 01:36 PM
It does seem to me that interleague play hurts TV ratings for the series.

In my opinion anyway.

When I was a kid, not seeing all of those NL teams made the series that much better, playoffs as well.

POJO_Risin
07-05-2006, 01:41 PM
I don't know what Cleveland did this year...but I think up to this year...they had the best record against National League opponants...

I still fucking hate it...

POJO_Risin
07-05-2006, 01:46 PM
I don't know what Cleveland did this year...but I think up to this year...they had the best record against National League opponants...

I still fucking hate it...

knuckleboner
07-05-2006, 02:03 PM
i'm definitely against.

i'd much rather see more/longer series against division rivals.

(and as an o's fan, that means i'm rooting against my own interests!:D)