PDA

View Full Version : Republican Calls For NYT to be Prosecuted

LoungeMachine
06-26-2006, 09:36 AM
Lawmaker wants White House to prosecute the press

BY MICHAEL MCAULIFF
New York Daily News

WASHINGTON - A powerful New York Republican wants the Bush administration to prosecute the press for printing stories about secret government strategies in the war on terror.

Rep. Pete King is fired up after The New York Times and several other newspapers printed stories Friday about a program the Bush administration uses to monitor thousands of foreign financial transactions in hopes of tracking terrorists.

"The New York Times clearly broke the law," King, the House Homeland Security Committee chairman, said Sunday, slamming the paper - and government leakers - for revealing a program that's believed to have helped snare a number of al-Qaida leaders.

"The terrorists did not know that we had access to foreign transactions," King said. "This has definitely compromised our security in a time of war."

King said he was especially peeved by The Times because the paper earlier revealed the National Security Agency's warrantless wiretapping of terror-linked phone calls from abroad and defended its latest scoop.

Times editor Bill Keller has said he listened to an administration appeal to keep the lid on the program but decided the "extraordinary access" was a "matter of public interest."

"No one elected The New York Times to do anything," King said. "They're breaking the law to satisfy their own arrogant, liberal agenda."

One Republican who has been critical of the White House's clandestine surveillance programs, Pennsylvania Sen. Arlen Specter, said The Times deserves a little slack.

"We have seen the newspapers in this country act as effective watchdogs," Specter said on "Fox News Sunday."

"I think it's premature to call for a prosecution of The New York Times."

The White House had no comment on the issue.

Specter, who has been pushing the administration to submit other secret programs for review, said he was close to an agreement with Vice President Dick Cheney to have judges on the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court weigh the wiretaps.

He also suggested Attorney General Alberto Gonzales should explain the financial monitoring, which started soon after the Sept. 11 attacks.

But King said it's way past time to haul The Times onto a docket. "It's time for Gonzales to take the gloves off," he said. "Gonzales has an obligation to prosecute."

LoungeMachine
06-26-2006, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by LoungeMachine

"No one elected The New York Times to do anything," King said. "They're breaking the law to satisfy their own arrogant, liberal agenda."

LMMFAO :rolleyes:

Millions elect them every day by buying the paper, jackass.

A FREE Democracy depends on a FREE press, you jackbooted moron. :mad:

This guy probably thought the Washington Post should have been shut down over Watergate as well.

Guitar Shark
06-26-2006, 11:02 AM
I would love to hear his explanation of exactly which law was supposedly broken.

LoungeMachine
06-26-2006, 12:02 PM
The Liberal Poopy Head Statute.

STOP LEAKING SECRETS [BushCO hates competition]

FORD
06-26-2006, 04:08 PM
Gee, Pete...... maybe you should consider going after the REAL lawbreakers here. The Bush Criminal Empire.

Warham
06-26-2006, 04:53 PM
LMMFAO :rolleyes:

Millions elect them every day by buying the paper, jackass.

A FREE Democracy depends on a FREE press, you jackbooted moron. :mad:

This guy probably thought the Washington Post should have been shut down over Watergate as well.

Their circulation is down, and we all know the reasons why.

Guitar Shark
06-26-2006, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by Warham

The advent of internet news?

Warham
06-26-2006, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by Guitar Shark

I'm not sure. I'd have to see if papers like USA Today have lost circulation.

If they haven't, then it only makes the Times look worse.

LoungeMachine
06-26-2006, 05:55 PM

I love how you contradict yourself within the same thread page

LMMFAO

One minute, everyone KNOWS the resons why, and the next post, you're not sure, you'll have to check USA Today

Jesus Christ. Make up your mind.

Idiot:D

EAT MY ASSHOLE
06-26-2006, 06:51 PM
Ouch!

Warham
06-27-2006, 04:14 PM
I love how you contradict yourself within the same thread page

LMMFAO

One minute, everyone KNOWS the resons why, and the next post, you're not sure, you'll have to check USA Today

Jesus Christ. Make up your mind.

Idiot:D

Hey dolt,

You don't even know the definition of a contradiction for one thing.

I said that the Times has gone down in circulation. It's a fact, and we all know the reasons why.

Then later I said that I wasn't sure if other papers like the USA Today have lost circulation, but I would check on that.

Where's the contradiction, numbnuts?

Guitar Shark
06-27-2006, 04:15 PM
You two need to stop taking this crap personally.

Warham
06-27-2006, 04:19 PM
I don't.

Once I log off, I forget about it all.

It's a good way to blow off all that stress from the last few weeks.

LoungeMachine
06-27-2006, 09:20 PM

I said that the Times has gone down in circulation. It's a fact, and we all know the reasons why.

LMMFAO

Queeen of the backpeddlers. :rolleyes:

I don't. Please educate me.

Why has the NYT's circulation gone down?

How much has it gone down in comparison to other print media?

Please enlighten me. :D

Nickdfresh
06-27-2006, 09:44 PM

So what do you think of the pResident's poll numbers?

LoungeMachine
06-27-2006, 09:53 PM

Their circulation is down, and we all know the reasons why. /QUOTE]

The advent of internet news? [[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Warham

Hey dolt,

You don't even know the definition of a contradiction for one thing.

Then later I said that I wasn't sure if other papers like the USA Today have lost circulation, but I would check on that.

Where's the contradiction, numbnuts?

You said YOU'D CHECK ON THAT?

REALLY?

WHERE?

And the CONTRADICTION you fucking moron, is this:

FIRST, you claim NYT circ. is down, and "we allknow the reasons why"

However you FORGOT to include the advent of CABLE NEWS, THE WEB, and BLOGS

So once Sharkey clued you in, it dawned on you to actually re-evaluate the reasons.

You Claimed you "knew the reasons" why [although you've NEVER posted them]

And now you have to "check it out"

Fucking moron:D

ODShowtime
06-27-2006, 10:14 PM
LMMFAO

Queeen of the backpeddlers. :rolleyes:

I don't. Please educate me.

Why has the NYT's circulation gone down?

How much has it gone down in comparison to other print media?

Please enlighten me. :D

After a few years, I'm not sure if Warham knows that you are supposed to back up your statements with "facts" that come from other sources.

Ally_Kat
06-28-2006, 01:12 AM

a bunchload of free newspapers available at every NYC train station.

No one here except for the hoity-toidy rich people who live in the fancy parts of Manhattan or the wealthy parts of Long Island read the Times...unless your school forces you to buy the paper to do some project.

I suppose people here still get the Sunday Times, but between gas being what it is, the subway being packed because of that, the fare being what it is (and talk of it going up), and Bloomberg taxing the fuck out of us (why do people here still like him?! Hello minorities, read the reports. He's driving you guys out of town), there's little money left to spend on the almost 2 bucks itself Times everyday.

Then there's the random bad press, so people just pick up the free paper that's on the subway steps. Saves time so you can spend it fighting with 5 other people for one seat.

FORD
06-28-2006, 01:13 AM
Doesn't the Sunday NY Times weigh about 50 pounds?

LoungeMachine
06-28-2006, 01:23 AM
The "west coast" edition is available in my local grocer, without all of the classifieds and inserts.

Just the good stuff.

$5.

Love it.

Ally_Kat
06-28-2006, 01:24 AM
if not, it's pretty close. But barely anybody has to get to work on Sunday, so there's time to sit around and do nothing but study the thousand page collection.

I always hated trying to read it and it getting everywhere cuz it's so freakin' huge. Who actually reads the entire NYT? Sunday or otherwise. Poor trees. :(

Ally_Kat
06-28-2006, 01:28 AM
The "west coast" edition is available in my local grocer, without all of the classifieds and inserts.

Just the good stuff.

$5.

Love it.

The Sunday one? Only $5?! The last time I had to get the Sunday Times I ended up paying close to $7.

And yes, that was the price printed in the corner :(

Nickdfresh
06-28-2006, 09:20 PM
Jeez, the Washington Post is only .35 daily, and $1.50 on Sunday...