PDA

View Full Version : Chucking out a band member

David Van Via
04-21-2004, 05:54 PM
Right we have a band and we want to chuck out the drummer because he isn't good and he is a wanker, when it comes to music (his fav band is RATM and he doesn't like Van Halen). So I was just wondering if anybody has any SUBTLE but firm ways to chuck him out because we like him as a friend.

CHEERS!

DLRSLAVE
04-22-2004, 01:11 AM
Loss of Control I think you need to feel this one out. You've had to fire band members before right.

David Van Via
04-22-2004, 06:56 AM
No We haven't because the rest of us get along great so everything has been fantastic.

pete
04-22-2004, 07:11 AM
just have the band break up - then reuinite a week later with a new drummer.

reunited and it feeelz so good

David Van Via
04-22-2004, 07:33 AM
That's a bloody great idea.

CHEERS!

However if there's any more ideas please post them and we will use the best one.

Coyote
04-22-2004, 08:14 AM
If I were you, I'd talk to the guy face to face over a beer.

Point out the problems, and come to the conclusion that he's not the right drummer for the band.

Top Jimmy
04-23-2004, 01:55 AM
do it at the next BIG gig you play...it'll be hilarious! truuust me....

Audition someone behind his back....tell as many people as you can without him finding out...then on the night of the gig...give his pictures to the security...tell them how he 'flipped out' and so you had to '86 him...."he made some death threats"..or "bomb threats"....so they won't let him in the door....and he will show up COMPLETELY unaware! Also, make sure to switch out your posters before he gets there, with pics with the NEW bassist in them...."In OUR band?...oh, no officer...that guy is some wacko from the alley..." watch the fun and hilarity ensue as you take the stage...and rock the house...he is being beat up in the back alley by security....
HOW's that work for ya? Try it, and video tape the results.......there's GOLD in that there idea, son....

Bill Lumbergh
04-23-2004, 05:08 AM
Just tell him, "It's not you, it's us. We just can't keep with you, were holding you back." Make sure to duck.

smaz
04-23-2004, 06:44 AM
When my friends band got a new drummer, they didnt tell the old one and when he turned up to a soundcheck the day before a gig, they were already playing, and he just stood at the back watching, before probably going home to cry.

alexpgrimes
04-23-2004, 08:34 PM
Too bad your not spinal tap. the guy would just explode sonner or later..lol

David Van Via
04-24-2004, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by alexpgrimes
Too bad your not spinal tap. the guy would just explode sonner or later..lol

That would definitely help, plus it would be funny as hell!

Ozzy Fudd
04-24-2004, 06:08 PM
Do what we did, have a sit down and put the cards on the table then say ...Oh Yeah we forgot to tell you your fired.

Panamark
04-26-2004, 02:23 AM
Tell him you are going to become an 80's synth band and will be running on sequencers from now on.

BigBadBrian
04-26-2004, 09:34 AM
You're all adults so have everybody there and tell his ass he's a wanker and to hit the road. Be up front about it. If you're all there and he wants to fight, you can all thump his ass.

Rubnose
04-26-2004, 10:56 PM
Tell him you have feelings for him that you can't hide anymore. Rub his back and put your hand on his knee.

That should do it. Unless you are Ford. Then get ready for a Cival Union.

Bwaaa-haaa-haaa-haaaa!!!!

Lou
04-26-2004, 11:13 PM
It's not going to be pleasant, but I think you and all the other members should just go to his house and tell him face to face. I can't think of a better way to do it that's not gonna suck.

GAR
04-27-2004, 02:18 AM
Call him frm your cell phone to inform him to look out his window and see to it that his equipment doesn't get too wet in the rain as you peel outta there.

(this is probably why I never made it successfully in a band - waiting on wankers to fucking catch up with the othersand being too encouraging, fuck it)

Dirty Faced Kid
04-28-2004, 03:38 PM
Make your new drummer fire him. :D

GAR
04-28-2004, 08:18 PM
Call his girlfreind and tell her he's fired because you wanna go out with her.

Atomic_Rob
04-30-2004, 11:25 AM
Like Smaz said, my band we kicked out a couple of people, 1st one like Smaz said, came in and saw us TEARING THE SHIT out of this song and the guy just left with his mum. He was a drummer. Stupid twat won't forget about it either. We just tell him to fuck off.

2nd time was a close mate so we talked it out like adults and he was perfectly cool about it. He was a guitarist.

Do what you think is best

Katydid
04-30-2004, 11:45 PM
Ask ALinchainz to throw him out...That is his expertise...

David Van Via
05-01-2004, 06:53 PM
Yes we have finally got rid of him, we just didn't let him in when we where practising.He got the hint.

But people still post your suggestions incase anybody else is ever in this situation.

Panamark
05-02-2004, 08:08 AM
That was pretty brutal....

David Van Via
05-02-2004, 01:03 PM
actually We didn't let in the garage when practising, didn't talk to him about the band at all, ignored him for a while.

Originally posted by Panamark
That was pretty brutal....

I know but we realised if we where subtle it wouldn't have got through his head. We thought he still thought he was our drummer until he asked one of our other friends if they needed a drummer.

GAR
05-02-2004, 03:16 PM
This is one secondary reason I got my own kit, I have about 3 now..

You audition a drummer (you call dude's ad, or guy calls yours) and you shoot shit over telephone.

An hour later than the guy promises to be there, he shows up. By now, the rest of your band have already fleshed-out some old tunes and are still waiting, so they take off for a short return (buy pizza, buy booze, smoke pot etc) and so they know a drummer takes a halfhour to setup. An hour if inexperienced, so they know to make it an extra hour to come back to continue with practice.

ALREADY this guy's cost 2 hours for being late, 1 hour on his account, 1 hour for giving the guys an "out" to go party. Fucker.

SO the guy shows up, unloads his crap, tells his sob story why he's late and it shouldn't matter while he's setting up his dilapitated hardware and shit cymbals.

Goodness, the snare needs tightening.
Oh my, I can't find my stickbag.
Dear oh dear, I have to go to GC to pickup a hihat clutch, I forgot/can't find it

TO ME THIS IS MORE PAINFUL THAN A DENTISTS VISIT so I got my first Pearl drumkit and refurbbed it, just to rehearse with a guy to find if he's any good or not.

When a band owns their own PA and minor drumkit, you no longer feel hostaged to the guy because he's the only guy in town you can play with or cuz he has exceptional gear. A 3pc kit, snare, hihat stand and a ride is about just enough to hear if a guy's any good or not.

GAR
05-02-2004, 03:24 PM
I remember rehearsing at Stor-Mor in Rosemead once, this drummer Dave Benitez didn't wanna get into the elevator to go upstairs to rehearsal.

"I'll just carry it all up the stairs, is that allright?

Well, you got all your shit here loaded on the cart and it's in the elevator, why don't you just get in?

"i have a fear of elevators, always been like that"

Oh its alright, there's no cables in this one its one of those 3-0story short hydraulic models. Get the fuck in the elevator and shut the door

"Hydraulic, whats that?"

The fucking elevator rides on a solid piece of pipe as it fill with oil pumped in it. Cmon quit wasting time.

I get the guy to trust me, and he gets in. We're going up when suddenly I pull the Emergency Stop button on the power panel, Alarm bells start ringing and the drummer's eyes get big as pies.

"OH my God dude, what did you do?" and he's panicking, holding the walls for dear life.

But I can't hear what he's saying, I have my eyes closed hunched over with my hands over my ears screaming "AAAH AAAH DEAR GOD NOT AGAON AAAAH"

I apologized after 30 seconds and pushed to stop back in. Guy made it thru the rehearsal but didn't come back for a month to get his kit. Which naturally we found convenient to audition other drummers on in the meantime.

smaz
05-09-2004, 05:12 PM
Me, Atomic_Rob and our band were having a practice today, and after an hour the person who lived next door came round n told us to 'turn that fucking noise off'. He said that we needed the practice though. We were pretty pissed at that, so does anybody know how we can get the batty back without getting arrested?

Golden AWe
05-09-2004, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by David Van Via
Right we have a band and we want to chuck out the drummer because he isn't good and he is a wanker, when it comes to music (his fav band is RATM and he doesn't like Van Halen). So I was just wondering if anybody has any SUBTLE but firm ways to chuck him out because we like him as a friend.

CHEERS!

Wazzup Sammy!!! So, you guys don't like Alex's drumming any more?:p

NathanRay
05-09-2004, 06:48 PM
Can Your Drummer Play van halen or is he just not into it????Make it the whole Bands Objective to learn a few Van Halen Songs. If He Whines say Look Man we like this kind of music if You're Not into it thats fine you should really Get into Another band. You're Better at playin' Commie tunes any way you should do your own thing. We're still friends and I still want to hang out but we don't see Eye to Eye musically. I think we'd all be better off that way. May'be you could learn some ratm and you could still jam together as friends sometimes. But you gotta stop spinnin' your wheels.

BlimpyCHIMP™
05-10-2004, 10:55 PM
I CAN PLAY THE BOOMBOX COULD i JOIN HAHAHAHAHAAA

David Van Via
05-13-2004, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by BlimpyCHIMP™
I CAN PLAY THE BOOMBOX COULD i JOIN HAHAHAHAHAAA

Hoho sarcasm is a funny thing sometimes.