View Full Version : Hagar interview

Bob_R
06-29-2006, 12:04 PM
Volume 14, Issue 10
Published June 28th, 2006
Soundcheck: Sammy Hagar
Red Rocker
By Ed Condran

If there's one thing you can count on in rock, it's that Sammy Hagar will record a disc and tour. It doesn't matter that Van Halen is MIA. Hagar doesn't need Eddie or Alex Van Halen as bandmates or his old sparring partner, David Lee Roth, to tour. Hagar and his band, the Wabos, just recorded Livin' It Up, which will drop in late July. The new tunes and old favorites will be showcased at this show, which is billed as a Fourth of July party of sorts. Hagar recently spoke about life as a solo recording artist, Van Halen reunion rumors and the aforementioned Diamond David. — Ed Condran

SAMMY HAGAR & THE WABOS
July 4th, 2006 4:00 PM

Tower City Amphitheater
351 Canal Road, Cleveland
216-241-5555

Hey Sammy, it's Ed.

Hey Ed, I have to tell you, your name scares me. When I hear the name Ed, I worry. If it's Ed [Van Halen], is he coherent? Can he talk?

Is that a crack at someone who was afflicted with tongue cancer?

Absolutely not. If I did that I would owe him a huge apology. It's about the bottle.

I thought you were a lover of the bottle?

I am, but you can't get so ripped that you lose control of yourself. You don't drink during the day unless you're having some spicy tacos in Cabo. Have a beer with that. If you have two beers with that you're bordering on insanity. I wait until the sun goes down. I drink in the evening. When you stumble and stagger and say, "oops," you go dance it off or go straight to your room.

I don't have an advance of your new disc. What's it sound like?

You don't have an advance because this record was finished four months ago. I love this record. This will be one of my favorite records right up there with Standing Hampton and Not for Sale, which is my least successful record but my favorite record.

Maybe you screwed yourself by naming it Not For Sale. Maybe fans took the title literally.

You know what, I hope you're right because I love that record. It only sold about 70,000 records.

What's your set list made up of?

It's crazy. My band and I have 100 songs to choose from.

How many Van Halen tunes are you doing?

We do 10 Van Halen songs. [Former VH bassist] Michael Anthony comes out with me to play Van Halen songs. He does his bass solo. It's a three-hour show.

What are some of the songs?

We play some of the obscure songs since that's what a lot of fans want to hear. We play "Good Enough," "Judgement Day" and "Amsterdam."

Rumors are flying that VH will reconcile.

I'm not saying that I wouldn't do it, but I wouldn't do it the way we did last time. If Ed wants to come up with a new plan that is more user-friendly, I'm all ears.

When was the last time you spoke with Ed?

The last time was during the last show we did. I'll tell you straight up that I don't get along with Ed. But Ed doesn't get along with [Van Halen drummer] Al [Van Halen]. Ed doesn't get along with Mike or anybody.

Are you surprised that your old friend David Lee Roth's syndicated morning show tanked?

I'm not surprised that anything Diamond Dave does tanks. I love him. I got to say it. I actually like Dave. He came on tour with me. We had our ups and downs. But I found that he and I could have some fun together. We could have some drinks and have a good time. But he's unpredictable. That's part of his appeal but when you're doing something structured like a tour, you can't be so unpredictable.

He said that you tried to compete with him when you toured together.

I just went out and did what I do. I didn't change anything to try to compete with David Lee Roth. Anyone has the right to say they like the early Van Halen material more than the Van Hagar material. But right now, if you look at how well Dave sings and how well Sammy sings, you can see who is better.

Van Hagar outsold Van Halen.

They never had a number one, and I know the kind of business they did on tour wasn't up to what we did. But it's not about that. If you like "Runnin' With the Devil" better than "Dreams" that's your prerogative.

Bob_R
06-29-2006, 12:06 PM
Hagar Interview link (http://www.freetimes.com/story/387)

light 'em up!
06-29-2006, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by EVH FANATIC
Ed doesn't get along with [Van Halen drummer] Al [Van Halen]. Ed doesn't get along with Mike or anybody.

This I do not doubt.

They never had a number one, and I know the kind of business they did on tour wasn't up to what we did.

This is total bullshit.

Seshmeister
06-29-2006, 12:32 PM

This has been proved so often to be a huge lie that even the Hagar fans don't say it any more.

MAPRamone
06-29-2006, 01:20 PM

This is true you know! When a person buys a CVH record they'll keep it for life but when a person buys a Van Hagar record they'll soon come to the realization that they've been conned. This will cause them to try to find another poor, unsuspecting schmuck to whom they'll sell said Van Hagar record. So from this it's easy to conclude that Van Hagar records have changed hands more often than CVH records and thus Van Hagar has indeed outsold Van Halen! If we're talking FIRST TIME purchases than Van Halen has Van Hagar beat ofcourse hands fucking down.

king daddy
06-29-2006, 01:47 PM
I am not sure Sambo can add... Van Halen-1984 sold 34 million. 5150-Best of Both Worlds sold 22 milllion. This number is skewed in itself because the greatest hits albums contained classic VH which no doubt helped sales... As far as being #1 1984 took the band to a whole new level in terms of popularity. The next album was sure to hit the charts #1..

Sam is right about one thing you are either a fan of Dreams or Unchained.. When it's love or Everybody Wants Some.. You decided?

In the end Dave wouldn't sell out to become a watered down version of Journey, Sam did.

DlocRoth
06-29-2006, 01:47 PM
LOL....

Even Spambo calls it Van Hagar.

Finally he gets it that he doesn't have the right to say he was in Van Halen, well......because he wasn't.

MetalSkool
06-29-2006, 01:49 PM
Sammy comes off respectful of the DLR era and of Dave himself..kudos to Sam for not bashing DLR... and he makes a couple good points.. Roth's voice is sukkin nutz...

king daddy
06-29-2006, 01:57 PM
Dave never had a great voice.. He was great some nights and not so good others. But what he brings to the stage is an attitude and charisma that had never been seen.. Which is why he is the best front man ever.

MetalSkool
06-29-2006, 02:01 PM
true dat

Vinnie Velvet
06-29-2006, 02:24 PM
Fucking Hagar.

He makes himself more and more of an idiot when he says shit like this.

You wanna talk about sold out tours???

Van Hagar could not even compete with Van Halen.

From 1979 to 1984, every CVH tour was a sell-out (the string of sold-out shows was most prominent on the Fair Warning, Diver Down and 1984 tours).

I saw Van Hagar in 91 and they played to like some 7,000 people in a 17,000 seat arena.

Oh and what about opening for Bon Jovi, Sam?

FUCK YOU, you useless, talentless, piece of dog shit!

:mad:

imeasy
06-29-2006, 03:24 PM
Talk about tanking, on the radio they were advertising $10 lawn seats for his this weekend in Jersey. About as cheap a seat as you can get for a show these days. Still not cheap enough, I just got an email from Ticketbastard today saying they are giving away those same tickets for free! He still won't fill the place up! Say what you want about Dave's failed radio gig or voice, but he never resorted to giving away tickets just to get people in the building!
Fuck you, fuck you very much Sam.

Don Corleone
06-29-2006, 03:58 PM
The sad thing is Sammy clearly believes his own bullshit to be true. His head must be so far up his own arse that he's not seen light for at least 15 years

king daddy
06-29-2006, 04:28 PM
"I know the kind of business they did on tour wasn't up to what we did." No joke because ticket prices/merchandise etc were cheaper back in 1984!! Wake up Spambo!!

rustoffa
06-29-2006, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by DlocRoth
LOL....

Even Spambo calls it Van Hagar.

I'd be willing to bet he didn't suggest to name the band that.
:hagar1::monekyr:

ELVIS
06-29-2006, 08:40 PM
Who gives a shit and why post this bullshit here ??

Bob_R
06-29-2006, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by ELVIS
Who gives a shit and why post this bullshit here ??

We know it's bullshit coming from Hagar but it's quite interesting and conversational.

Now put this fucking thread back in Main. :)

Being from Louisana have you found Britney Spears yet? She's a brunette now ya know.

ELVIS
06-29-2006, 09:08 PM
Why would you want it in main ??

ELVIS
06-29-2006, 09:10 PM
It would be excellent main material if this was the Samuel Roy Hagar Army...

ELVIS
06-29-2006, 09:11 PM
Does that logic penetrate your skull ??

Douglas T.
06-29-2006, 09:55 PM
It would be excellent main material if this was the Samuel Roy Hagar Army...

That's funny there ... I don't care who ya are!

Bob_R
06-29-2006, 10:03 PM
Does that logic penetrate your skull ??

Yeah I guess you're right. There are so many interesting threads there at the moment. :rolleyes:

Douglas T.
06-29-2006, 10:17 PM
Like the KennY thread that just popped up in main! Watch it JUMP to music where it should be!

Terry
06-29-2006, 10:19 PM
Gotta love Hagar:

Van Halen outsold Van Hagar

Sammy: They never had a number one (um, well, except for a number one single, Jump. How many of those cheesy Van Hagar tunes went #1 on the singles chart. Oh, yeah, none).

So somebody FINALLY kinda-sorta called Sammy on his bullshit.

Sweet!

Terry
06-29-2006, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by Vinnie Velvet
Fucking Hagar.

He makes himself more and more of an idiot when he says shit like this.

You wanna talk about sold out tours???

Van Hagar could not even compete with Van Halen.

From 1979 to 1984, every CVH tour was a sell-out (the string of sold-out shows was most prominent on the Fair Warning, Diver Down and 1984 tours).

I saw Van Hagar in 91 and they played to like some 7,000 people in a 17,000 seat arena.

Oh and what about opening for Bon Jovi, Sam?

FUCK YOU, you useless, talentless, piece of dog shit!

:mad:

You think it'd kill Sam to admit that he walked into a multi-million album selling band AFTER it was built up from nothing to a group that was paid 1.5-2 million to headline a festival in front of 350,000 people -

Van Halen, as an album releasing group, put out more albums in less time with Roth and eventually sold more than every other version that followed. And not just by a few copies, either.

Fuckin' Sammy. Talentless assclown.

I like the way he's now parsing his comments about EVH: it's gone from "I'll never tour with Eddie again" to a "Never say never" attitude.

Ten to one Sammy and Mike call up the Van Halens after this bullshit tour flops.

flappo
06-30-2006, 06:12 AM
two diamond ( 10m+ ) albums with dave

how many with sammy ??

:)

Cato
06-30-2006, 06:56 AM
the only thing that attracts my attention in this thread is Sesh's sig. it's fookin grate.
what's the fuck is the roth army militia anyway, the club of candyasses? I'm sick of seeing that text.

Vinnie Velvet
06-30-2006, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by Cato
the only thing that attracts my attention in this thread is Sesh's sig. it's fookin grate.
what's the fuck is the roth army militia anyway, the club of candyasses? I'm sick of seeing that text.

You don't like it, go fuck yourself (which you've probably done already).

Now be nice, CUNT!

:D

Cato
06-30-2006, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by Vinnie Velvet
You don't like it, go fuck yourself (which you've probably done already).

Now be nice, CUNT!

:D
not yet, and I never will.

I'm a man, who wants to be different from the others.
I'm a man, who doesn't want to be "one of them".
to me, sharing the same stuff with the others in the sig is the most disgraceful behavior.
if you think it's cool, ok, keep it there. but hey, I won't respect anybody who has it.