PDA

View Full Version : Holyfield beginning yet another comeback

ALinChainz
06-30-2006, 02:02 AM
By JAIME ARON, AP Sports Writer

June 29, 2006

DALLAS (AP) -- Evander Holyfield is 43. He hasn't fought in nearly two years, hasn't won in more than four, and hasn't been the heavyweight champ in six years.

So?

Here's the timeline he considers more relevant: His contract to box for Don King expired about two weeks ago, he was licensed to box in Texas last week and, on Thursday, he announced the start of his latest comeback bid, an Aug. 18 fight against journeyman Jeremy Bates.

"I actually believe I can whup anybody," Holyfield said at a news conference featuring local fighters on the undercard, but not his opponent. "I'm ready. ... Sure as I sit here today, I will be the undisputed heavyweight champion of the world."

Now working for his own company, Real Deal Events, his return to the ring after a 21-month absence is being hyped as "Holyfield V, The Final Chapter."

Holyfield quickly notes there are many pages in a chapter -- and this one won't end until he gets his fifth heavyweight title. He's already the only person ever to claim it four times.

"If this was one fight, it'd be the final page," Holyfield said. "Whatever it takes to fulfill that chapter, that's what it is."

Looking fit, albeit wearing a suit, Holyfield proudly said he hasn't stopped working out during the longest layoff of his career. He even joked it made him angry about to pay people to train him without having a payday in sight.

"I was thinking, `I'm doing all this work for nothing,"' he said, pretending to cry.

The layoff was caused by several things, starting with a three-bout losing skid, also the longest of his career, and a 2-5-2 mark since 1999. His last loss, a unanimous decision that wasn't even close against Larry Donald in November 2004, prompted New York officials to revoke his boxing license because of "diminished skills and poor performance."

Holyfield received a medical suspension that blocked him from fighting anywhere in the country. It was later changed to a ban in the state of New York.

With his reputation reeling, fights were talked about but never finalized. Holyfield said King wasn't interested in anything less than a blockbuster, leaving him to "sit on the shelf."

Holyfield also said he believes bum shoulders have been behind his slide. He's had two operations on the left shoulder and one on the right, but never gave them enough time to heal, which only made it worse.

"I was stubborn," he said. "I was actually thinking I could handle the pain and beat these guys. I thought 60 percent of me was better than them. But they proved me wrong."

Now?

"My arm can jump and bounce," he said, showing off a few moves.

Patrick Shaughnessy, spokesman for the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulations, said commissioners asked Holyfield for results of four tests, two because of his age. He passed them all and received his license June 21.

It's good for a year, but must be renewed each time he fights. The caliber of the competition is always factored in -- Bates, 32, is 21-11-1 with 18 KOs.

"We are confident that this is a fight he is capable of making based on his age, ability and opponent," Shaughnessy said.

Holyfield could've easily walked away rich, healthy and with his legacy intact as an overachiever, albeit one who might've hung on too long.

Now he risks the long goodbye being more of the memory.

"I could just go into acting because so many people want me to be this action hero," he said. "But I say, no, I'm not finished. I got to finish this. I was brought up, when you start something, you've got to finish. And you've got to finish better than you start."

He also invoked the inevitable comparison to George Foreman, whose popularity Holyfield helped spur by beating him -- barely -- when Foreman was 42 and Holyfield was 28 and in his prime.

Holyfield believes his comeback can be as popular as Foreman's was in the early 1990s.

"When I become heavyweight champion of the world again, all these people in their 40s and older are going to say, `I better get me a goal. I'm going to have some fun, too,"' he said. "If somebody made you feel like your age is stopping you from doing something and you know that you have the skill and the will to work and do it, then there ain't no problem."

Holyfield said he looks as good as anyone 23 or 24, but acknowledges lacking the energy to make up for any mistakes in the ring. However, he believes experience can prevent him from making mistakes.

"I'm going to prove I'm the same guy that used to get $20 million because I'm hoping someday to get a $100 million fight," he said. "I'm willing to pay the price that's necessary to be the very best I can be."

The fight, which is on a Friday night, will be televised by Fox Sports Net.

Holyfield trains in Houston, which is why he picked Dallas for his return. He said Houstonians are too accustomed to seeing him.

"In Dallas, it's like going to your cousin's," he said, laughing. "Hey, cuz, I haven't seen you in a long time."

http://sports.yahoo.com/box/news;_ylt=Aoi2xh523IxqEMwj9tQf1no5nYcB?slug=ap-holyfieldreturns&prov=ap&type=lgns

binnie
06-30-2006, 02:40 AM
Holyfield needs to think about his health.

Sure there's not a lot of competition amongst the heavyweights, but in his last fights he has been slow and his timing is shot.

In that article he sounds delusional - undisputed champ!

He should think about other great fighters that went on too long and how they have ended up.

Been punch drunk is no way to go.

redblkwht
06-30-2006, 11:31 AM
Tell you what i wont be watching
anything with him in the ring..
Im sure it will be PPV.

anyone purchasing that fight
will waste their money IMO-

twonabomber
06-30-2006, 11:45 AM
Fox Sports Net ain't PPV.

ALinChainz
06-30-2006, 01:34 PM
Just listening to his plans for a $100 million payday ... you can tell he's been punched in the head too many times.

I know the heavyweight division is a joke, but he needs to leave it alone.

Although he would kick the dogshit out of Minto.

rustoffa
06-30-2006, 09:00 PM
He turned to roids and Lee Haney to exit the light-heavyweight division. He employed lots of elbows and low-blows to hang in the heavyweight division. Maybe he went to see the faith healer again?

redblkwht
07-01-2006, 12:36 AM
Originally posted by twonabomber
Fox Sports Net ain't PPV. Ah, hell you got me bro..
pass the next blunt you got my way!:rockit2:

sadaist
07-01-2006, 12:51 AM
Evander is my favorite boxer of all time. I just wish he would have retired after the 2 Tyson fights. He proved he could beat him, which everyone said he couldn't. Since then, it's been very hard to watch him fight. I find myself crossing my fingers, holding my breath, and praying a lot. I hope he does well in this fight, but most of all I hope he doesn't get hurt.

ALinChainz
07-01-2006, 01:45 AM
Holyfield got a watered down and washed up Tyson.

Back in 1991 before the rape conviction, Tyson would have killed him, he was a monster heavyweight then.

Holyfield was still for the most part a cruiserweight.

Dan
07-01-2006, 02:07 AM
Holyfield who?

Dan
07-01-2006, 02:09 AM
Just as Bad as David Tua who?

redblkwht
07-01-2006, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by ALinChainz

Back in 1991 before the rape conviction, Tyson would have killed him, he was a monster heavyweight then.

Holyfield was still for the most part a cruiserweight. In that time period i have to agree with you
AI. He was Invincible pre Robin Givens..;)

Switch84
07-01-2006, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by redblkwht
In that time period i have to agree with you
AI. He was Invincible pre Robin Givens..;)

:D Amen! Funny how she took glee in destroying an amazing boxer, not realizing that Karma is a MOTHERFUCKA. Where is she now?

Nowheresville (or Hasbeenland)!

jcook11
07-03-2006, 11:42 PM
I hope the guy doesn't end up like Ali, Parkisons' disease my ass he's fucked up from those left hands of Smokin Joe.

DlocRoth
07-04-2006, 12:44 AM
Agreed.

Besides, the rope a dope hurt him more than it helped in the long run.:wow2:

redblkwht
07-04-2006, 02:17 AM
Originally posted by jcook11
I hope the guy doesn't end up like Ali, Parkisons' disease my ass he's fucked up from those left hands of Smokin Joe. Nah, i disagree..rewatch the foreman fight, he took more of a beating in the rope a dope.
Joe did some damage, but remember george dumped
joe like a sack of potatoes..

I really think Ali took more damage vs foreman & shavers
than anyone else.

binnie
07-04-2006, 03:06 AM
Originally posted by ALinChainz

Holyfield was still for the most part a cruiserweight.

True, at his peak Tyson would have beaten Holyfield and Lennox Lewis.

What he lost inside was his speed of movement. At his peak, he was very quick coming forward and could get past an opponents jab to land those damaging blows. Because he didn't have that any more, Lewis was able to keep him at bay and never took a big shot from Tyson.

I think Holyfield would have been a tougher fight for Tyson at his peak than Lewis - Tyson wouldn't have knocked him out I don't think, as Holyfield has a head like grannite and and iron jaw. So it would have been a points victory for Mike.

binnie
07-04-2006, 03:07 AM
Holyfield was a great fighter, no question.

However he struggled with two types of fighter.

Lefties (think about the first Moorer fight)

People considerably taller (Riddick and Lewis)

redblkwht
07-04-2006, 03:17 AM
Originally posted by binnie
Holyfield was a great fighter, no question.

However he struggled with two types of fighter.

Lefties (think about the first Moorer fight)

People considerably taller (Riddick and Lewis) Never forget the Riddick Bowe fight ;)
lol he handed him his ass in one of them!

Warham
07-04-2006, 01:22 PM
Holyfield would've never have lost a decision to Tyson back then. Holyfield would regularly go the distance in many fights, and had the stamina to do so. Tyson's longest fight was around 6 or so rounds pre-Douglas, wasn't it?

POJO_Risin
07-04-2006, 01:55 PM
I actually don't think that Tyson would have lost to Holyfield...and I do think that he would have knocked him out...as someone said...what made Tyson great...as his manager...Kevin Rooney said...was his head movement...

always moving forward...and always moving...and he would throw bombs from nearly any angle...when you thought he couldn't...

When he got tired...the movement stopped...and he could get touched...see Buster Douglas...

I do think though...that Tyson could have floored anyone in his prime...pre-jail...

Holyfield was a great heavy however...period...one of THE greats...

although the Tyson fights shouldn't be considered his grand achievements...

his desire to win...

NOW...let's say the shoulders are healed...and he DOES regain some of what he lost...

I doubt it...but say he does (and stranger things have happened)....

well...it would be interesting...no wouldn't it...

and if someone fucking compared David Tua...a fulltime nobody...to Holyfield...a 4-time champ...I mean...c'mon...

and yeah...Ali faced a ton of damage from Norton...and from Foreman...and many...many others...

but if you want to see true damage...

watch his 3 fights against Frazier...they were brutal...and fucking Frazier AND Ali nearly killed each other...there's a point in each fight where both fighters only defense was their face....

Unchainme
07-04-2006, 02:03 PM
He should fight Brian Minto, theres an automatic win and payday right there.

I hear Joe has been working out trying to get the fight in a Days Inn Motel in Butler :).

binnie
07-04-2006, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by Warham
Holyfield would've never have lost a decision to Tyson back then. Holyfield would regularly go the distance in many fights, and had the stamina to do so. Tyson's longest fight was around 6 or so rounds pre-Douglas, wasn't it?

You may be right, did he fight Ruddock after Douglas?

I know the Ruddock fights went more than 6 rounds. I can't remember how long the bonecrusher Simth fight lasted either.

Anyway, its true that Tyson didn't have to go the distance often,but that was because he not only had brutal power, but deadly accuracy - the amount of shots he landed square on the jaw is staggering, largely because his punches never had to travel very far.

I think Tyson would have wooped Holyfield back then, either on points or the ref stopping the fight - I just don't think Evander could lived with a full on Tyson

jcook11
07-05-2006, 07:19 PM
At his peak Tyson was the BADDEST MOTHERFUCKER on the planet, IMO. Watching some of his old fights when he had the head movement like PJR noted, He would knock you the fuck out with either hand.

ULTRAMAN VH
07-11-2006, 10:17 AM
Holyfield needs to stay retired. His speech is slurred from past wars, what is this guy thinking. As for Tyson, when he had Kevin Rooney in his corner and CusD'Amato, with Jim Jacobs managing, he was unstoppable. Nobody and I mean nobody could have beaton Tyson during this time period. With the passing of Cus and Jim Jacobs and the idiotic firing of Kevin Rooney, Tyson deteriorated both mentally and physically. Signing with Don King sealed Tysons fate.

ALinChainz
07-11-2006, 01:16 PM
Minto is a bum. You claimed to be at his last fight, yet you posted scores that were for an 8 round fight, and he couldn't knock out that last bum in 10.

It went 10 rounds asshole.

All he has ever fought is bums.

He got his ass KICKED by Tony Tubbs.

A 42 year old, 300+ lb crack addict.

GOT HIS ASS KICKED ALL OVER.

LOST.

LOST Jose, LOST.

Look at Minto's record and the records of the fighters he's fought. And now his next fight you say is with Andy Sample, who is 11-13-1 in his last 25 fights. Unranked. Another bum.

His biggest payday has been $20,000.

There is no way in Hell he would have turned down a fight with Holyfield.

C'mon dumbfuck ... you have a restraining order against you with Minto's camp and are in homo love with the ugly bastard, but act like you know something about boxing or shut the shithole.

binnie
07-11-2006, 01:17 PM
Do we have any idea who Hollyfield is planning to fight?

Is he considering taking on the bg Russian?

ALinChainz
07-11-2006, 03:51 PM
I gaurantee Minto never turned down a Holyfield fight.

Wanna bet Joe?

You know I can find out to.

Look who he has fought. He foought Bates? Big deal, 17-7 at the time Minto fought him. And know he's 4-4 since?

And now Minto fights someone who has lost 4 of his last 6?

Bet me Joe ... he fought Tony Tubbs but wouldn't fight Holyfield which would have brought him at the very least 6 figures instead of the 4 and 5 he fights for now.

You're an idiot. Put up or shut up.

sadaist
07-12-2006, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by Warham

Take Holyfield in his prime against Tyson in his prime and I would probably take Holyfield. Tyson was a fighter, while Holyfield a boxer. All Evander had to do was 1) not be scared (so many of Tyson's opponents were beat before the bell even rang), 2) get past the first 3 rounds. After that, with his stamina and toe-to-toe style & quickness, he would have outscored, outjabbed and outmoved Tyson. Tyson was a killer in the first 3 rounds but dropped off drastically after that.

Although I'm a huge fan of both. I just prefer Evander.