PDA

View Full Version : Has Noah's Ark Been Found?

Matt White
06-30-2006, 09:47 AM
http://cdn.news.aol.com/aolnews_photos/03/02/20060629230309990006

http://cdn.news.aol.com/aolnews_photos/0b/01/20060629230609990002What the team found jutting out of the mountain was about the size of a small aircraft carrier, similar to the Ark's dimensions as described in the Bible.

June 29) - A team of Texas archaeologists believe they may have located the remains of Noah's Ark in Iran's Elburz mountain range.
"I can't imagine what it could be if it is not the Ark," said Arch Bonnema of the Bible Archaeology Search and Exploration (B.A.S.E) Institute, a Christian archeology organization dedicated to looking for biblical artifacts.

Bonnema and the other B.A.S.E. Institute members hiked for seven hours in the mountains northwest of Tehran, climbing 13,000 feet before making the apparent discovery.

"We got up to this object, nestled in the side of a hill," said Robert Cornuke, a member of the B.A.S.E. Institute. "We found something that has my heart skipping a beat."

At first, they didn't dare to hope it was the biblical boat.

"It wasn't impressive at first," Cornuke said. "Certainly didn't think it to be Noah's Ark. But when we got close, we were amazed. It looked similar to wood."

In addition, some B.A.SE. members say, their discovery didn't look very distinctive.

"It looked like the deck of any boat today," Bonnema said.

Long Search for the Ark

The Bible places the Ark in the mountains of Ararat, a mountain range theologians believe spans hundreds of miles, which the team says is consistent with their find in Iran.

The Bible also describes the Ark's dimensions as being 300 cubits by 50 cubits -- about the size of a small aircraft carrier. The B.A.S.E. Institute's discovery is similar in size and scale.

"It is provocative to think that this could be the lost ark of Noah," Cornuke said

Throughout history, people have been searching for the Ark to help prove God's existence.

"There's this idea, if we can prove that the ark existed then we can prove that the story existed, and more importantly, we can prove that God existed," said Bruce Feiler, author of "Where God Was Born."

Previous scholars have searched for the Ark on Mount Ararat in Turkey.

"Czar Nicholas, actually, in 1916 sent two expeditions to photograph it on top of Mount Ararat," said Feiler.

One former U.S. president, Feiler said, looked for it in the mountains of Iran.

"There is a story that Jimmy Carter, on his way to visit the Shah of Iran in 1977, purposefully flew over it," he said.

As recently as March, researcher claimed to have satellite photos that proved the presence of Ark remains. The B.A.S.E institute hopes the physical evidence they've brought back from Iran will hold the answer to this enduring mystery.

"People will always be looking for it, always be skeptical, always be excited of the search," Cornuke said. "But I think we found something here that's very notable."

The B.A.S.E. Institute's samples are being examined at labs in Texas and Florida. B.A.S.E officials concede that there would be no way to conclusively prove that their finding is actually Noah's Ark.

So the hunt goes on. The biggest hurdle in identifying Noah's Ark comes down to "gopher wood." The Bible says the Ark was made of gopher wood but no one knows what it is.

And now...it gets interesting.....

What do you think about the story of Noah's Ark?
It's fact 69%
It's fiction 31%
Total Votes: 165,221
Note on Poll Results

Do you think the object that this team found is Noah's Ark?
No 53%
Yes 47%
Total Votes: 150,894
Note on Poll Results

Whacky:cool:

Figs
06-30-2006, 09:55 AM
It's a myth.

Grimsdale did however have an Ark at one point in time with female pensioners, or at least so I've been told......

Mr. Vengeance
06-30-2006, 09:56 AM
A fake story about a boat? People actually spend time thinking about this???

Fuck, religious folk are ponderous.....

Hardrock69
06-30-2006, 10:29 AM
It may be true that Noah lived and built a giant boat with a few wildebeasts and some chickens on board..and maybe a trained chimp...or two.

However once again the flood story is not unique to Christianity.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deluge_(mythology)

Anyone who thinks that by discovering some rotting wood on a mountainside they are going to prove the existence of God is an idiot.

It would only prove somebody several thousand years ago knew how to build big boats.

bueno bob
06-30-2006, 11:09 AM
I think the dimensions of Noah's ark given are awfully small to have loaded on two of all the world's creatures, personally...

And, as said earlier, the story of the flood isn't entirely original to Christianity; I believe the earliest written reference was the story of Gilgamesh...?

bastardog
06-30-2006, 11:25 AM
I think that based on all those stories on mostly every religion (except maybe the Tom Cruse one) we can assume there was really a flood some 1000's years ago........but there could be just one ark?
maybe there were some other people in different parts that do same thing.
Could it be possible that there was just one boat in the whole world at that time?
Am I getting crazy with all this stupid thinking?

BITEYOASS
06-30-2006, 11:33 AM
great now all of the Christian fundie con-men kissing ass to the neo-cons will try to give this as a reason to invade Iran. :rolleyes:

bueno bob
06-30-2006, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by bastardog
I think that based on all those stories on mostly every religion (except maybe the Tom Cruse one) we can assume there was really a flood some 1000's years ago........but there could be just one ark?
maybe there were some other people in different parts that do same thing.
Could it be possible that there was just one boat in the whole world at that time?
Am I getting crazy with all this stupid thinking?

Not at all, they're all actually very good questions that should be taken seriously. I mean, honestly, there's a lot of room for play with the history (whichever religion you choose) of the flood.

There very likely could have been other boats - taken from the solely Christian standpoint, I...guess God would have made those boats fail and sink?

Admittedly, I'm reaching.

Hardrock69
06-30-2006, 02:31 PM
Several mythologies from different cultures still all say the same thing: That some guy built a big boat to "ride the storm out".
:cool:

ALinChainz
06-30-2006, 02:54 PM
It makes for some killer Discovery Channel watching.

And yes, I am in recovery.

ALinChainz
06-30-2006, 02:55 PM
But with no opinion, I always vote Grimsdale.

Unchainme
06-30-2006, 03:07 PM
I'll sound stupid saying this, but doesn't say that along with the ark of the covenant, that both of those things are never to be discovered by human beings according to the bible.

Warham
06-30-2006, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by bueno bob
I think the dimensions of Noah's ark given are awfully small to have loaded on two of all the world's creatures, personally...

And, as said earlier, the story of the flood isn't entirely original to Christianity; I believe the earliest written reference was the story of Gilgamesh...?

The Ark had about the same interior space as 53 railroad cars.

The next time you're at a crossing and a long train goes by, try to imagine fitting in JUST two of everything that walks on land. I don't think it'd be too hard.

Ally_Kat
06-30-2006, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by Unchainme
I'll sound stupid saying this, but doesn't say that along with the ark of the covenant, that both of those things are never to be discovered by human beings according to the bible.

I don't know Noah's ark, but I know the Ark of the Covenant isn't suppose to be found.

The flood story has been around so long and was so widespread among os many different cultures that belief usually tends that something along the lines happened and a good ol' game of telephone happened.

Matt White
06-30-2006, 04:01 PM
Maybe there were less animals back then?:D

Douglas T.
06-30-2006, 05:11 PM
History tells ... Noahs flood is what brought about the Appalachian mountans. The end of the ice age caused the Grand Canyon!

ELVIS
06-30-2006, 10:17 PM
They found George's Ark...

http://www.anchorstone.com/gallery/d/208-2/arksite1.jpg?

:D

Figs
07-01-2006, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by bueno bob
...the story of Gilgamesh...?

Sokath, his eyes open!!!

thome
07-01-2006, 01:41 PM
Good, Let's Invade Iran!

That's what i was thinking when i read that, Oh Jesus, finally. Now quick let's invade Iran, yep, that was it.Hurry, Iran Invation qualifying
has been met, yep, that was it, all i needed.Yep .

thome
07-01-2006, 01:43 PM
I just bought my plane ticket on line ..

WHO'S WITH ME!!! LET'S GET THEM FUKKERS!

We found the Ark, Irans Gonna PAY!!!

Douglas T.
07-01-2006, 08:54 PM
Weapons of Mass Transportation found in Iran!

jcook11
07-03-2006, 05:46 PM
Wasn't Noahs' Ark made out of gopherwood in the Biblical version?

Mulattothrasher
07-04-2006, 12:21 AM
Originally posted by Hardrock69
It may be true that Noah lived and built a giant boat with a few wildebeasts and some chickens on board..and maybe a trained chimp...or two.

However once again the flood story is not unique to Christianity.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deluge_(mythology)

Anyone who thinks that by discovering some rotting wood on a mountainside they are going to prove the existence of God is an idiot.

It would only prove somebody several thousand years ago knew how to build big boats.

Then why/how would anyone would build a boat 13,000 ft on a mountain anyway? :rolleyes:
If there was a global flood, however....
Shouldn't all these sign point to the possiblility that something like this really happened? Afterall, tons of separate and distinct cultures all have a version of the story

Cathedral
07-04-2006, 12:52 AM
Ignorance is abundant in here, just like that other thread, The Problem With The Jesus Story.

You all forget that man can twist history, and has, since the beginning of time.
You all read one story, know nothing of the details, yet can boldly state, "It isn't real".

I have no idea if it is or not, but if the ark of Noah ever did exist...there will be evidence of it on this planet.

I pity you, the ignorant fools you are, for being so closed minded.

Just consider for a second that there are common things in all religions "stolen" from one another and claimed to be their truth.
You are putting your faith into man's opinion and discarding the possibility that God is real. The epitomy of ignorance.

I am done trying to debate faith issues on this board with ignorant people who already have their minds made up.

All i'll say to you is GOOD LUCK, in the afterlife...

If i'm wrong, then no big deal.
If you are wrong, well, that's between you and God.

Ya better be sure, absolutely sure because you have wagered everything based on someone else's opinions.

jcook11
07-04-2006, 12:55 AM
Originally posted by Cathedral
Ignorance is abundant in here, just like that other thread, The Problem With The Jesus Story.

You all forget that man can twist history, and has, since the beginning of time.
You all read one story, know nothing of the details, yet can boldly state, "It isn't real".

I have no idea if it is or not, but if the ark of Noah ever did exist...there will be evidence of it on this planet.

I pity you, the ignorant fools you are, for being so closed minded.

Just consider for a second that there are common things in all religions "stolen" from one another and claimed to be their truth.
You are putting your faith into man's opinion and discarding the possibility that God is real. The epitomy of ignorance.

I am done trying to debate faith issues on this board with ignorant people who already have their minds made up.

All i'll say to you is GOOD LUCK, in the afterlife...

If i'm wrong, then no big deal.
If you are wrong, well, that's between you and God.

Ya better be sure, absolutely sure because you have wagered everything based on someone else's opinions.

OUCH! Cathedral :D

Cathedral
07-04-2006, 01:20 AM
Originally posted by jcook11
OUCH! Cathedral :D

Well, for example, it was commented that Noah's boat was presumed to be the only one, poppycock.
All the story of Noah states is that God chose him and his boat to collect 2 of every creature.
It never implied Noah was the only skipper at the time.

My problem isn't people questioning the bible, it's the logic and half assed thinking that is behind the conclusions they draw.

Then, those same people write a book claiming it's all just a fake story while ignoring the physical evidence to the contrary.
My point is, even their own conclusions are as full of holes as the story they are trying to shoot down.

But the thing is, the bible fills it's own holes if you KEEP STUDYING!
The bible is weaved so that if you were to pull a thread in Genesis, you would see it move in Revelation.

The first problem is people thinking that the New and Old Testaments are seperate entities, but it isn't, it is ALL the inspired word of God, it's ONE book.

Jesus made it easy to reach heaven...but it also became just as easy to reach Hell.

Think about it!
All i'm saying is think for yourself, you can be led in the wrong direction and to your own eternal demise by following the group based on an seemingly convincing research.

Do i believe they found the ark?
No, i don't, but i won't let ignorance tell me it isn't possible.

jcook11
07-04-2006, 01:25 AM
It is so refreshing to see some intelligence around here.

Mulattothrasher
07-04-2006, 02:03 PM
Well, for example, it was commented that Noah's boat was presumed to be the only one, poppycock.
All the story of Noah states is that God chose him and his boat to collect 2 of every creature.
It never implied Noah was the only skipper at the time.

My problem isn't people questioning the bible, it's the logic and half assed thinking that is behind the conclusions they draw.

Then, those same people write a book claiming it's all just a fake story while ignoring the physical evidence to the contrary.
My point is, even their own conclusions are as full of holes as the story they are trying to shoot down.

But the thing is, the bible fills it's own holes if you KEEP STUDYING!
The bible is weaved so that if you were to pull a thread in Genesis, you would see it move in Revelation.

The first problem is people thinking that the New and Old Testaments are seperate entities, but it isn't, it is ALL the inspired word of God, it's ONE book.

Jesus made it easy to reach heaven...but it also became just as easy to reach Hell.

Think about it!
All i'm saying is think for yourself, you can be led in the wrong direction and to your own eternal demise by following the group based on an seemingly convincing research.

Do i believe they found the ark?
No, i don't, but i won't let ignorance tell me it isn't possible.

Aye, I agree. Personally, I think theres a high chance they found what remains of the ark. They are on the right mountain for one, according to where the Bible says the ark rested.
At that height, theres probably few trees. The pics looked rather "treeless." Why would anyone build an aircraft sized wooden object, haul it to 13,000 feet, and leave it alone?

sadaist
07-04-2006, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by Unchainme

I think you're right. Not sure of the passage or verse, but I do remember something along those lines. Look what happened when the nazi's found the ark of the covenant and opened it. They all melted.

Warham
07-04-2006, 02:55 PM
Well, I wouldn't follow the Gospel of Spielberg if I wanted to research the Bible.

Cathedral
07-04-2006, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by Mulattothrasher
Aye, I agree. Personally, I think theres a high chance they found what remains of the ark. They are on the right mountain for one, according to where the Bible says the ark rested.
At that height, theres probably few trees. The pics looked rather "treeless." Why would anyone build an aircraft sized wooden object, haul it to 13,000 feet, and leave it alone?

I'm interested in seeing what testing and examining the wood brings about. But they won't be able to determine much beyond dating the wood.
It has my attention, that's for sure, lol.

Seshmeister
07-04-2006, 09:23 PM

That's a great fucking thread.:)

The only reason I never called it 'The problem with the Bible' is that I really didn't have enough time to deal with the ludicrous nonsense of the Old Testament.:)

Page fucking 1 Cat...

The first page of the word of God...

1:16 And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night.

Your justification for your supernatural beliefs seems to be the usual 'just in case faith'.

Hey I'll believe in this shit just in case. If I die and it is true I'm sorted, if it isn't then I've lost nothing.

Couple of problems.

1) Maybe this omnipotent cloud god might know that you are playing the odds.

2) Maybe Islam would be a better superstition to go for. Seems to me that they are now in the majority at least in the majority of people that actually walk the walk.

Of course the Islamists have the problem that Mohammed took a wife who was 5 years old and fucked her when she was 9 years old but then the christians have the problem with the dashing of babies on rocks stuff.

So what to do?

Go to hell as an atheist or support kid fucking or kid killing. It's all very confusing...

Cheers!

:gulp: