PDA

View Full Version : Cops rescue burning Elvis in gas blast

FORD
04-22-2004, 10:08 AM
Lord a-mighty....feel my temperature risin.........

Cops rescue burning Elvis in gas blast

By MICHELE McPHEE
DAILY NEWS POLICE BUREAU CHIEF

Elvis lives - thanks to the NYPD.

Elvis Radbir, 22, of Queens accidentally set himself on fire Saturday by lighting a cigarette in his car seconds after he fueled a portable generator at a gas station.

As he ran from his car, engulfed in fire like a human torch, he was spotted by two 106th Precinct patrol cops who happened to be at the Ozone Park gas station with their radio car.

Officers Thomas Weber and Stephen Clifford rushed over to the burning man and smothered the flames with their bodies, hurling Radbir to the ground and rolling on top of him while beating back the fire with rags.

The dramatic rescue was caught by the surveillance camera at the 98th St. and Rockaway Blvd. gas station.

The video shows Radbir putting the gassed-up generator in the cab of his pickup truck, then sitting behind the wheel. He turns the vehicle's ignition, but before pulling out of the station, he lights a cigarette, sparking an instant inferno.

Radbir was in serious condition yesterday at the Weill Cornell Medical Center burn unit, with his mother, Devi, at his bedside.

His younger brother, Nicholas, 15, said his sibling was lucky to be alive.

"The police were there. They did the right thing," Nicholas Radbir said from the family's Ozone Park home. "It was good of them, the police."

The victim's sister, Jessica, 13, also was grateful to the officers who saved her brother's life. "I'm glad the police helped him," she said. "I want him to come home."

FORD
04-22-2004, 10:09 AM
Hunka hunka burnin' video!! (http://www.nydailynews.com/images/graphics/GasStation.wmv)

Ally_Kat
04-22-2004, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by FORD
Ozone Park

98th St. and Rockaway Blvd.

*hangs head*

ELVIS
04-22-2004, 10:24 AM
Maybe he will quit smoking now...

Jesus Christ
04-22-2004, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by Ally_Kat
*hangs head*

thy neighborhood?

Ally_Kat
04-22-2004, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by Jesus Christ
thy neighborhood?

yes sir. 5 minutes from my house

Jesus Christ
04-22-2004, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by Ally_Kat
yes sir. 5 minutes from my house

A Messiah can relate. Look at what goes on in My neighborhood every day :(

Bob_R
04-22-2004, 11:25 AM
Saw this story on the news last night.

WACF
06-23-2004, 04:40 PM
Ouch.

rustoffa
06-23-2004, 09:49 PM
Good, God y'all
I'm on fiyaaa
I'm on fiyaaa
I'm on fiyaaa
I'm on FIYAAAAAAAAAAH !!!!!!!!

classicdude
06-24-2004, 12:43 AM
......thought I saw a dude cooking a s'more in that video. Gonna have to watch it again....