PDA

View Full Version : Jimmy Page or Ritchie Blackmore?

binnie
07-03-2006, 12:57 PM
Who's better?

Who would win in a guitar duel?

Who's had the bigger impact on heavy rock?

Discuss

binnie
07-03-2006, 01:00 PM
I've gone for Jimmy. No disrepsect to Blackmore, but Page always had the wow factor for me, I can remember dozens of his solo's in my head, and I can't say the same for Ritchie.

MAPRamone
07-03-2006, 02:12 PM
Jimmy. As great as Deep Purple were i'd say Led Zep was more influential though not by much.

Matt White
07-03-2006, 02:22 PM
JIMMY PAGE is the WAGNER of ROCK

binnie
07-03-2006, 02:44 PM
No one gonna give props to ritchie?

I know there are loads of Purple and Rainbow fans on this site....

Coyote
07-03-2006, 04:57 PM
Blackmore.

As a guitarist, Page has inferior technique. (But as a composer, he rules.)

Romeo
07-03-2006, 05:16 PM
Jim Page is a bit overrated, Blackmore is underrated.
I will have to say that blackmore is a better guitarist. He wrote music just as good as J.P. if not better. If it wasn't for Starway to Heaven I would say Deep Purple is a better band pound for pound.

Romeo
07-03-2006, 05:20 PM
I forgot to mention that J. Page sounds like pure Sh*#* live and I've heard other famous guitarist say that he plays like a 5 year old kid. Blackmore sounds just as good as the studio albums and he's way more capable techiniquewise

DrMaddVibe
07-03-2006, 05:38 PM
Jimmy Page...no contest for me.

m_dixon1984
07-03-2006, 05:52 PM
I'm giving my vote to Ritchie. Jimmy did some great things but my vote goes the other way because a lot of what he did was just re-use old blues riffs (he did this very well, I'll add). Blackmore, with Deep Purple especially, just seems a lot more original to me.

M

monkeythe
07-03-2006, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by binnie
Who's better?

Who would win in a guitar duel?

Who's had the bigger impact on heavy rock?

Discuss

If this deul took place on horseback and the men had to wear armor, Blackmore would easily win

Mr. Vengeance
07-03-2006, 07:20 PM
Jimmy. Hands down.

IMO Ritchie was always overated. There's nothing about his playing that can't be recreated. Listen to the last several Purple albums...They're still rocking, despite Ritchie not being there.

Page in the studio created more riffs than most other guitarists could dream of.

MAPRamone
07-04-2006, 04:25 AM
Originally posted by Mr. Vengeance
Jimmy. Hands down.

IMO Ritchie was always overated. There's nothing about his playing that can't be recreated. Listen to the last several Purple albums...They're still rocking, despite Ritchie not being there.

Page in the studio created more riffs than most other guitarists could dream of.

They're both a bit overrated in my opinion. In Zep's heyday Page was considered a virtuoso which he certainly never was. He had limited ability and was always a bit sloppy. However his sloppiness was a part of the personality in his playing, so in a way it was a good thing. No one ever did more with less than jimmy. Ritchie i think was technically more proficient. But i think you're right: Page was more vital Zep than Blackmore was to Purple.

Wawazat
07-04-2006, 04:35 AM
Originally posted by Romeo
Jim Page is a bit overrated, Blackmore is underrated.
I will have to say that blackmore is a better guitarist. He wrote music just as good as J.P. if not better. If it wasn't for Starway to Heaven I would say Deep Purple is a better band pound for pound.

If it wasn´t for Lazy i would pretty much not care at all.

nosuchluck
07-04-2006, 06:17 AM
Blackmore.

never did get into Page's playing...

Last_Child
07-04-2006, 09:38 AM
Easy.

Blackmore.

Matt White
07-04-2006, 10:29 AM
ACHILLES LAST STAND shits on EVERYTHING Blackmore ever wrote......

Watch the ZEPPELIN DVD...and tell me how much PAGE sucks live.....cretins

scam failin
07-04-2006, 10:40 AM
ritchie blackmore!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ALL THE FREAKING WAY!!!!!!!!!! but page was good up until 1972,just like plant.and yes i watched the zeppelin dvd and was pleasantly suprised about pagey's playing.my brother saw them in detriot 1969 and that 1970 royal albert hall concert confirms how phenomenal they were UP UNTIL 1972.

Matt White
07-04-2006, 10:48 AM
THey kick ass on that dvd up through KNEBWORTH......

They had bad nights...like ALL bands....

PAGE wrote the soundtrack to a generation......

Blackmore isn't a pimple on his ass.......................

binnie
07-04-2006, 11:11 AM
I'll try and summarize the points so far to push the debate forward.

1) Ritchie has better technique, whereas Page's playing was sloppy, but others argue that this is what made him unique.

2) Page had a wider influence

3) Ritchie was better for longer, as Page was no good after 1972 (although there is disagreement on that, seems a ludicrous statement to me)

4) Blackmore is underrated, Page is overrated

5) Page was the superior composer

There seems to be no agreement as to whether Zep were good live or not.

keep it going, there doesn't seem to be a lot of positive comments for RB, it seems to be negative voting, ie "Page is this and that..." not why RB is great....

Matt White
07-04-2006, 11:24 AM
Because Blackmore never progressed...much like Malmsteen...he could solo...but couldn't write a rock tune with a hook to save his life.....

PAGE continued to change...Zeps records were ALWAYS different than what had come before.....

90% of what you hear on rock radio today is directly influenced by JIMMY PAGE..that's a fact that hasn't changed since the mid-70's.....

And listen to STARGAZER off of RAINBOW RISING...nice KASHMIR riff Ritchie.....

PAGE NEVER copied a Blackmore riff.........

BELIEVE 'DAT!!!

Loons The Great
07-04-2006, 11:26 AM
James Patrick Page...by a country mile...yez yez...Listen to This, Ritchie!!...

Terry
07-04-2006, 09:58 PM
I'd say Page had a wider influence than Blackmore as well, agreed.

I'd also say that Page catches my ear more frequently in terms of composition too.

Lotta people say Page was inconsistent live, which is true enough, but Blackmore was also the same way live, at times.

Far as solos go, Blackmore was far more interesting. In fact, for me, Page's solos were the weakest point of his playing, but were offset by superior rhythms and riffs.

But I voted for Blackmore.

Mostly because Page willingly reworked Kashmir into that piece of shit that Puff P Diddy Daddy Sean John "wrote" for the Godzilla soundtrack.

If that's not enough reason to throw it to Blackmore, throw the utter banality of the Firm on top of it, and there you go.

Romeo
07-05-2006, 12:43 AM
J.P. stole alot of music, even from his band mates.
Black dog's main riff was written by J.Paul Jones and fucking Jimmy never gave him credit. Led Zepp migh have more influential cause they were very comercial. Led Zepp 3 is full of pussy songs. Other than Immigrant song and out on the tiles the fucking album is a disaster.
Led Zepp. music is very repetitive like trampled under foot. 7 minutes of the same riff. same with Black dog, kashmir, Misty M. Hop, 4 sticks, and on and on and on....

sadaist
07-05-2006, 12:55 AM
Originally posted by Romeo

Led Zepp. music is very repetitive like trampled under foot. 7 minutes of the same riff. same with Black dog, kashmir, Misty M. Hop, 4 sticks, and on and on and on....

Yeah, but 7 minutes of an awesome riff is better than 4 minutes of something bad. My vote goes to Page. Always loved Led Zep, and the amount of artists they influenced is huge.

Panamark
07-05-2006, 02:30 AM
Page,

Better Riffs overall.

Just listening (in my head) to the solos from two
of their biggest hits respectively:

Page

Stairway to Heaven
Black Dog

Blackmore

Black Knight
Smoke on the Water

Jimmy's solos I can hear like notes from heaven.
I dont care if he couldnt play them live.

Blackmores solos, Im having trouble even remembering them...

Pagey,
He's a fucker for recording Kashmir with Puff Crappy
(Maybe that was the devil's payback for livin with crowley)

and Blackmore is a Village fool with the Gay Minstrel bitches now...

Wawazat
07-05-2006, 04:45 AM
Blackmore'S Night: Beyond The Sunset -- The Romantic Collection

Fuckin sweet Ritchie boy

Play minstrel play !!

Apollo
07-05-2006, 12:58 PM
Blackmore does not get enough recognition.

Deep Purple practically invented heavy metal
& Blackmore wrote the most recognised riff of all times.

Jack68
07-08-2006, 09:01 PM
Page.Love Blackmore though esp. with Graham Bonnett.ALL NIGHT LONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Wearing and tearing mofos...

OfficerJimmy
07-08-2006, 09:26 PM
Page. Blackmore is fantastic as well but I don't like Deep PUrple or Rainbow nearly as much as Zeppelin.

MAPRamone
07-09-2006, 02:05 AM
In one respect Blackmore does win. If you take their most famous riffs, Whole Lotta Love and Smoke On The Water there is one major difference: Blackmore actually wrote the riff for Smoke himself instead of plagiarising.

Matt White
04-27-2009, 09:37 PM
In one respect Blackmore does win. If you take their most famous riffs, Whole Lotta Love and Smoke On The Water there is one major difference: Blackmore actually wrote the riff for Smoke himself instead of plagiarising.

The LYRICS were similar...not the RIFF to that song...you DOLT.........

Golden AWe
04-28-2009, 02:31 AM
difficult to say...they're so different...I like both so much...

Blackmore is unique to majority of the well known guitarists...the king of JAMS...he can JAM.

At0micPunk
04-28-2009, 05:04 AM
Wow this thread is old. I dig both. I agree that Blackmore is underrated. He's a fantastic player who was another blues based rock and roll guitarist but he ventured in a lot of other territories besides blues based rock in his tunes. My appreciation for his playing has grown as I've gotten older.

I'd take Page over him though. Not because his technique is better but as a song writer, performer, engineer, producer, etc Page is just over the top on so many levels. Plus his music and playing ultimately just does more for me.

I'm sure Yngwie would disagree eh?:)

binnie
04-28-2009, 06:03 AM
Can't believe that it's three years since I started this thread - fuck, time flies.

I still couldn't pick between 'em.

Mr Badguy
04-28-2009, 08:16 AM
I don`t know how I missed this first time around.

Steve Howe could play rings around both of them.

Hellraiser!!
04-28-2009, 09:19 AM
Blackmore!!! Even though I really like Jimmy,but guitar solos like Burn, Child in Time or his big jam at the end of Space Trucking live or all those classic riffs made Blackmore the king of the 70's in terms of guitar playing....actually he was the king until 1976 when EVH started to burn things in California!!

ODShowtime
04-29-2009, 06:52 AM
J.P. stole alot of music, even from his band mates.
Black dog's main riff was written by J.Paul Jones and fucking Jimmy never gave him credit. Led Zepp migh have more influential cause they were very comercial. Led Zepp 3 is full of pussy songs. Other than Immigrant song and out on the tiles the fucking album is a disaster.

yeah Since I've been Loving you and Gallow's Pole are disasters. Celebration Day is TOTAL pussy music.

Misty Mountain Hop and Black Dog are repetitive? What a bunch of horseshit you are spewing. I just checked my IV LP and it clearly credits JPJ as one of the writers for Black Dog.

That was a worthless and incorrect opinion you've shared. And I'm not happy that this is the second time I've had to stick up for Led Zeppelin just in this forum this morning. Get you head out of your ass people and realize how rock and roll's bread it buttered.

ODShowtime
04-29-2009, 06:54 AM
haha ripping someone for a three year old post. oh well fuck it

ELVIS
04-29-2009, 11:09 AM
Jimmy's solos I can hear like notes from heaven.

I can't recall them that well...

Blackmores solos, Im having trouble even remembering them...

Me too, except maybe two or three...

Blackmore material never really stuck in my head. I'm having trouble right now trying to recall Blackmore riffs. That's mainly what made me pick Page...

But I generally don't post on polls like this because comparing guitar players is not something I care to do, but this one had me thinking quite a bit...

I went with Page just because I can easily recall his riffs, but I don't consider him to be a better player than Blackmore, or Blackmore a better player than Page...

They both wrote good songs and both had limitations regarding technical ability...

Let me look for a YouTube or two...

Here's Blackmore doing his best Malmsteen impression...;)

<object width="500" height="405"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1aQ9P4qi8uo&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x402061&color2=0x9461ca&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1aQ9P4qi8uo&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x402061&color2=0x9461ca&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="500" height="405"></embed></object>

Damn...that's pretty out of control!

And here's Page doing his thing, sloppy as usual...

<object width="500" height="405"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_bc9m7nbMC4&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x402061&color2=0x9461ca&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_bc9m7nbMC4&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x402061&color2=0x9461ca&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="500" height="405"></embed></object>

:elvis:

lesfunk
04-29-2009, 01:11 PM
That's the difference between booze and smack right there!

GreenBayLA
04-30-2009, 04:22 AM
Who is "better"?
It's personal preference really. Ritchie Blackmore is a better technical guitarist than Jimmy Page but I prefer Page for his warmer tone, killer riffs and memorable solos. Page also did a lot of great acoustic work.

Thanx Elvis you knocked both of them down a peg with those videos.
Maybe back in 75 thrashing your guitar was cool but Blackmore drew it out so long it was anti-climatic.
Then there was Page on an admittedly average night at MSG while Plant is going on like a deranged Lamaze coach "push push".

ELVIS
04-30-2009, 07:20 AM
Hahaha...:D