PDA

View Full Version : Holy Joe Lieberman does something completely UN-Kosher

FORD
07-03-2006, 09:54 PM
Lieberman Will Petition

By MARK PAZNIOKAS
The Hartford Courant

July 3 2006, 1:45 PM EDT

Sen. Joseph I. Lieberman announced today he will petition for a place on the November ballot as an "independent Democrat," giving him a chance to stay alive politically should he lose an Aug. 8 primary for the Democratic nomination.

Lieberman, 64, a three-term senator whose outspoken support of the war in Iraq has brought months of grief and inspired a strong primary challenge from Greenwich businessman Ned Lamont, announced his decision this afternoon at a brief press conference at the State Capitol.

"I've been a proud, loyal and progressive Democrat since John F. Kennedy inspired my generation of Americans into public service and I will stay a Democrat, whether I am the Democraitic party's nominee or a petitioning Democratic candidate on the November ballot," Lieberman said. He added that he would, even if re-elected as a petitioning candidate, remain a member of the Senate Democratic Caucus.

Even should he lose in August -- and the most recent public poll shows him leading Lamont by 15 percentage points among likely primary voters -- Lieberman would retain his status as a registered Democrat. His name would not, however, appear on the ballot line with other Democrats.

Lieberman began making courtesy calls to leading Democrats late this morning. Among them were Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid of Nevada and Connecticut's Democratic state chairwoman, Nancy DiNardo.

Most other Democratic candidates already have said they would support the winner of the Aug. 8 primary.

For months, Lieberman has refused to rule out running as petitioning candidate should he lose the primary, though he said recently he would not withdraw from the primary under any circumstances.

Lieberman will need to gather 7,500 signatures to guarantee a ballot place, an effort likely to begin next week.

Lamont, 52, the founder of a cable-television company, has contributed $1.5 million of his own money to his campaign. Lamont also has raised hundreds of thousands of dollar in small donations, mostly over the Internet.

His candidacy has been widely supported by a network of local and national Web logs.

Lieberman was accompanied at the brief press conference today by his wife, Hadassah. Reporters were still shouting questions as he got into his car and left the Capitol grounds.

Copyright 2006, Hartford Courant

Link (http://www.courant.com/news/politics/hc-lieberman-petition-0703,0,809748.story)

Warham
07-04-2006, 02:24 PM
Sounds like Joe's got a good plan, since the Democrats are trying to sell him out after he's been a good soldier for eons.

That's what happens when you are a Democrat and DNC doesn't like you anymore. They take you out at the knees.

FORD
07-04-2006, 04:44 PM
It's not a good plan, it's dishonest.

If Joe loses the primary, he's no longer a Democratic candidate. He's welcome to run as an independent if he wishes at that point, but he is NOT welcome to label himself as a "Democratic candidate" and confuse the issue.

Especially since he votes like a Republican most of the time anyway.

LoungeMachine
07-04-2006, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by Warham
Sounds like Joe's got a good plan,

:rolleyes: