FORD
07-04-2006, 12:12 PM
GRAND THEFT MEXICO
Published by Greg Palast July 3rd, 2006 in Articles

Greg Palast in London
Matt Pascarella in Mexico City

Monday, 3 July The Guardian
Dispatch from Mexico City

The election race south of the US border is officially too close to call. Now, where have we heard that before?

As in Florida in 2000, and as in Ohio in 2004, the exit polls show the voters voted for the progressive candidate. The race is “officially” too close to call. But they will call it - after they steal it.

Reuters reports that, as of 8pm eastern time, as voting concluded in Mexico, exit polls showed Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador of the “leftwing” party of the Democratic Revolution (PRD) leading in exit polls over Felipe Calderon of the ruling conservative National Action party (PAN).

We’ve said again and again: exit polls tell us how voters say they voted, but the voters can’t tell pollsters whether their vote will be counted. In Mexico, counting the vote is an art, not a science - and Calderon’s ruling crew is very artful indeed. The PAN-controlled official electoral commission, not surprisingly, has announced that the presidential tally is too close to call.

Calderon’s election is openly supported by the Bush administration.

On the ground in Mexico city, our news team reports accusations from inside the Obrador campaign that operatives of the PAN had access to voter files that are supposed to be the sole property of the nation’s electoral commission. We are not surprised.

This past Friday, we reported that the US Federal Bureau of Investigation had obtained Mexico’s voter files under a secret “counter-terrorism” contract with the database company ChoicePoint of Alpharetta, Georgia (See BUSH TEAM HELPS RULING PARTY “FLORIDIZE” MEXICAN PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION.)The FBI’s contractor states that following the arrest of ChoicePoint agents by the Mexican government, the company returned or destroyed its files. The firm claims not to have known that collecting this information violated Mexican law. Such files can be useful in challenging a voter’s right to cast a ballot or in preventing that vote from counting.

It is, of course, impossible to know whether the FBI destroyed its own copy of the files of Mexico’s voter rolls obtained by ChoicePoint or whether these were then used to illegally assist the Calderon candidacy. But we can see the results: as in the US, first in Florida, then in Ohio, the exit polls are at odds with “official” polls.

In November 2004, the US Republican Senator Richard Lugar, in Kiev, cited the divergence of exit polls and official polls as solid evidence of “blatant fraud” in the vote count in Ukraine. As a result, the Bush administration refused to recognise the Ukraine government’s official vote tally - proving once again that republicans are incapable of irony.

The foreign mainstream press has already announced, despite the polling discrepancies, that Mexico’s elections were fair and clean, which would be a first for that country where Lopez Obrador’s party has seen its candidates defeated by “blatant fraud” before. The change this time is that the fraud is simply less blatant.

Big Train
07-04-2006, 02:47 PM
It's not officially to close to call. The results are in. The guy lost by more than half a million votes? This mumbo Jumbo is eating your brain Ford..

Warham
07-04-2006, 02:58 PM
I don't trust 'exit polls'.

FORD
07-04-2006, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by Warham
I don't trust 'exit polls'.

I do. Probably because they were amazingly accurate until the electro-fraud machines were implemented.

I can't stand Little Stevie Wonderbush, and I'm sure his neocon ways will damage Canada. But the Canadian exit polls said that his party would win their last election. And they did. Coincidentally (or more likely NOT) Canada still uses paper ballots.

FORD
07-04-2006, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by Big Train
It's not officially to close to call. The results are in. The guy lost by more than half a million votes? This mumbo Jumbo is eating your brain Ford..

Those results aren't official. We'll see what happens. And eventually the truth will come out, just as it did about Ohio and Florida.

Then the question is, how will the Mexican people react?

I'm guessing they either rise up against the fraudulent regime

or....

The next wave of "illegal" immigration will dwarf anything you could imagine. And you'll have nobody to blame but the electon stealing BCE.

Big Train
07-04-2006, 05:01 PM
why would they react negatively? Do you follow mexican politics? Anything that isn't PRI, they are down with. There is nothing to be upset about. This guy will continue Fox's policies, which are starting to make a long term dent in a lot of their social problems.

Nothing was stolen here, you need to get that out of your mind.

Seshmeister
07-04-2006, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by FORD
I do. Probably because they were amazingly accurate until the electro-fraud machines were implemented.

They haven't been very accurate in the UK in the last few elections and we don't have the dreaded Diebold machines.

When you have someone like Bush or in the case of the UK John Major where the exit polls were wildly off 15 years ago, if the guy they are voting for is a bit of a prick and unfashionable but people are voting for self interest interests like lower taxes or bigotry against homo's it seems that they often lie to exit pollsters.