PDA

View Full Version : Hdmi? Dvi?? Component???? Fuuuuuuccckkkk!!!!

distortion9
07-06-2006, 12:08 AM
So my old dvd player finally took a dump on me. Went out today and picked up a new Sony NS75H to hold me over till the Blu-Ray/HD-DVD war is over and it won't cost a friggin thousand dollars for one of these players. The dvd player has an HDMI output that upconverts to 1080i.

Here's the rub...

I have a 61" Sony that I bought 4-5 years ago (ANCIENT...I know) and it naturally does not have a HDMI input. The tv is 1080i capable but, only through fucking component connections. I really wish these cocksuckers would choose a format and stick to it already.

Searching online, can't find HDMI to Component adapters but, I HAVE found HDMI to DVI adapters and DVI to Component adapters.

So....

DVD output - HDMI to DVI adapter connected to a DVI to Component adapter, into the TV's Component inputs.

All digital no? Think it'll work?

**Edited to add**

Obviously the dvd player also has component outs but, they put out 480p. I'm really wanting to check out the way 1080i looks though.

Flash Bastard
07-06-2006, 12:21 AM
Component cables are more than adequate for any setup. As long as you use decent ones. Avoid anything sold by Radio Shack.

Monster makes a grate, yet pricey set of cables.

Beware of the 'gold plated' selling point. That's not gold you're buying, trust me.

HDMI is overrated from my experience. The cables cost upwards of 80 to 160 bux, and don't really have a practical avantage over component cables.

If you must, get a set of both and compare.... I'll bet you'll be returning the HDMI cables the very same day.

Flash Bastard
07-06-2006, 12:27 AM
Wait... your new DVD player has no Component out jacks?

That would be highly irregular. Perhaps I misunderstood your dilemma?

distortion9
07-06-2006, 12:30 AM
So, are you saying that 1080i is not visualy superior to 480p?

distortion9
07-06-2006, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by Flash Bastard
Wait... your new DVD player has no Component out jacks?

That would be highly irregular. Perhaps I misunderstood your dilemma?

No it does....I had edited the post to add that.

The problem is that component jacks only put out 480P and the HDMI only put out 1080I.

I"m wanting to check out 1080I.

Flash Bastard
07-06-2006, 12:42 AM
Originally posted by distortion9
So, are you saying that 1080i is not visualy superior to 480p?

Check your owner's manual. Unless the DVD manufacturer made the outputs specific to different resoulutions, it should make no difference what type of cable you use.

1080i versus 480p is usually not something determined by the cable you use, it's determined by a setting in the setup menu of the TV or DVD player.

Those assholes at Bust Buy would like you to believe something different though.

Flash Bastard
07-06-2006, 12:45 AM
LOL. OK, you edited and answered my question before I even posted it.

My solution would be to check into other DVD players that might fit better with your TV's inputs.

m_dixon1984
07-06-2006, 01:20 AM
Oh, boy.

It's very difficult to compare the differences between 1080i and 480p. In a nutshell a progressively displayed image should be superior to an interlaced image.

Here's a place that makes an attempt the explain the whole thing: http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_7_4/dvd-benchmark-part-5-progressive-10-2000.html

M