PDA

View Full Version : Why is it every place I go to school at has some major building collapse near it?

Ally_Kat
07-10-2006, 11:26 AM
Seriously.

And suicides, too.

Well, I must say, this is one ultimate way of offing yourself.

As it was, the trains that run by this mess were all screwed up for some other reason. I got fed up with the transit nightmare trying to get to class this morning, so I said "fuck it" and went home. Good thing, too, or else I would have been right there when the thing went up.

At least this suicide didn't include planes or religious statements.

Ally_Kat
07-10-2006, 11:29 AM
for those who are like, "Wtf?"

New York building collapses, burns
Five injured; gas explosion appears to be cause

NEW YORK (CNN) -- An explosion and fire leveled a residential building on New York's Upper East Side Monday morning, fire officials and eyewitnesses told CNN.

New York Fire Commissioner Nicholas Scoppetta told CNN the cause appeared to be a gas explosion.

Two people were transported to the hospital and two others treated on the scene, according to New York Fire Dept. spokeswoman Emily Rahimi.

One firefighter was taken to the hospital on a stretcher, CNN personnel on the scene report. (Map)

Eyewitness Theodore Milonas told CNN that three women emerged from the building after it exploded and they were covered in blood.

Ann McGovern, a neighbor across the street from the three-story E. 62nd Street location, told CNN she "witnessed two bloody people exiting the building just minutes after the explosion."

The building was between taller structures on 62nd Street between Park and Madison avenues just a few blocks from Central Park.

Smoke from the fire could be seen across Midtown and Manhattan's Upper East Side. As it cleared, firefighters moved in to assess the damage and look for victims.

Scoppetta said the building included doctors' offices, but was primarily residential.

White House Press Secretary Tony Snow said there is no suspicion of terrorism in the explosion.

The New York Fire Department received a call reporting the explosion at 8:40 a.m., department spokeswoman Emily Rahimi said.

CNN's Larry King was in a hotel nearby at the time of the explosion. He said it felt like an earthquake.

"I've never heard a sound like that," King said.

CNN's Katy Byron and Cheryl Bronson contributed to this report.

Ally_Kat
07-10-2006, 11:31 AM
the Fire Commissioner just started telling those at the scene that the suicide theory is true. Man, a lot of pissed off people when that was announced.

binnie
07-10-2006, 11:31 AM
Pretty awful way to die.

Hope my life evr gets to the point where I even contemplate that. Never understood why anyone would want a public suicide.

Glad to hear you are ok tho.

Figs
07-10-2006, 11:39 AM
That was a suicide??? That would be really fucked up....

Ally_Kat
07-10-2006, 11:41 AM
ZOMG. owned by some higher power, indeed.

So this guy tried to off himself by blowing up the building. Building explodes. Guy lives and is in critical condition at a local hospital. And instead of lying in the fire, he called 911 for help.

And this guy is a doctor.

I'm sorry, but I find that funny.

Figs
07-10-2006, 11:44 AM
He might not live too long after people find out about this....

Ally_Kat
07-10-2006, 11:50 AM
It gets better. He tried to off himself and decided to take the building with him because his wife wanted a divorce and the building was up for grabs.

Nickdfresh
07-10-2006, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by THUNDER ICON!
immediate "gayest thread of 06 candidate". No offense ally, because I know you want to fuck me but this is fucking gay. You have to even admit yourself. Wow!

Why don't you do what you do whenever you meet something that's gay then, and blow it?

Ally_Kat
07-10-2006, 11:58 AM
immediate "gayest thread of 06 candidate". No offense ally, because I know you want to fuck me but this is fucking gay. You have to even admit yourself. Wow!

Picking Brian Minto to defeat the exploding building would un-gay it, right?

guwapo_rocker
07-10-2006, 11:59 AM
http://i.a.cnn.net/cnn/2006/US/07/10/building.collapse/story.nycbldgclps.02.wabc.jpg

http://i.a.cnn.net/cnn/2006/US/07/10/building.collapse/story.nycbldgclps.wabc.jpg

jcook11
07-10-2006, 12:00 PM
Note to people who are contemplating suicide: Lock your self in a room drop four hits of four way acid put on all of the van hagar cds put on head phones turn cd player volume all the up...Let the good times roll, Leave the rest of us alone.

binnie
07-10-2006, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by Ally_Kat
It gets better. He tried to off himself and decided to take the building with him because his wife wanted a divorce and the building was up for grabs.

If there was ever an advert for not marrying, that's it!

Ally_Kat
07-10-2006, 12:12 PM
that might be up for gayest post of the year as well. Cmon ally, your making an ass of yourself, knock it off. Picking Minto to defeat an exploding building???????? WTF Weird ass shit?????? un-gay it????????

You just out-gayed my gayest post! :eek:

And you wish I was an ass, because that's how you like your mansex. I have a vagina, sorry.

ALinChainz
07-10-2006, 12:13 PM
See more of me and my men at:

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=7253075

Jerry H
07-10-2006, 12:36 PM
Seriously.

And suicides, too.

Well, I must say, this is one ultimate way of offing yourself.

As it was, the trains that run by this mess were all screwed up for some other reason. I got fed up with the transit nightmare trying to get to class this morning, so I said "fuck it" and went home. Good thing, too, or else I would have been right there when the thing went up.

At least this suicide didn't include planes or religious statements.

You are fucking jinxed.

:rolleyes:

ALinChainz
07-10-2006, 12:55 PM
JOE THUNDER - THE LATIN LOAD

Here's his site at myspace!

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cf...riendID=7253075

Ally_Kat
07-10-2006, 12:56 PM
I said from day 1 that ally was backward. Any further questions?

Why do you think I'm backwards?

And if I'm so backwards, why do you spend so much time thinking about my cunt?

Can you get the phone number of ANY athlete? If so, I have a request :D

ALinChainz
07-10-2006, 01:01 PM
Any further questions?

I have one ... you hate blacks ... yet nearly every picture on your myspace site has blacks in the pics with you in them.

Has stepdad changed your mind?

Whats good enough for mom is good enough for you?

Ally_Kat
07-10-2006, 01:14 PM
You post some weird shit that's all. Like the one w/Minto taking on an exploding building, that shits weird. Ya, I can get any phone # of any athlete except fucking soccer. I am having dinner tonight with Jim Thome, David Wright and Scrap Iron.

I can find some weird shit online, too, like myspace pages. ;)

Does this include NASCAR? Because my future husband is currently racing and I think it's about time me and him start with the make-out sessions.

ALinChainz
07-10-2006, 01:16 PM
You post some weird shit that's all. Like the one w/Minto taking on an exploding building, that shits weird. Ya, I can get any phone # of any athlete except fucking soccer. I am having dinner tonight with Jim Thome, David Wright and Scrap Iron.

Sorry Joe ... you aren't ... unless those guys are hitting the welfare soup line.

How about that DJ gig?

ALinChainz
07-10-2006, 01:26 PM
Joe and Jerome after french kisses and french fries.

http://www.fantasyoutlaws.com/images/joejerome.jpg

ALinChainz
07-10-2006, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by ALinChainz
Joe and Jerome after french kisses and french fries.

http://www.fantasyoutlaws.com/images/joejerome.jpg

What's up Joe?

The silence is deafening ... can you not see yourself?

DO we need more pics?

Ally_Kat
07-10-2006, 01:53 PM

there's that weird ass shit. Who the fuck cares? WTF???

I asked you a question. I asked if your grouping included NASCAR because I want to get with someone. How is that weird ass shit?

Or is it that you just don't want to share me ;)

Douglas T.
07-10-2006, 02:06 PM
Doc goes out with a bang .... well wanted to anyway! Guess he saw the light ... rather bright flash and some flames and figured he'd ask the Lord for another chance!

I like to go to your city,NYC, for fun! I like Rat Bastards!

Ally_Kat
07-10-2006, 02:07 PM
if you have any questions ally, feel free to pm me and I will answer them. It must be within 15 minutes though because I have a session at 230.

A signed glove, like baseball? Hmm..I dunno. I'm a NASCAR chick. If you could send me Dale Earnhardt Jr in a box to my front door, that would be awesome ;)

lol!

ALinChainz
07-10-2006, 02:07 PM
You're the one who is named Joe Thunder. What name is on there Joe?

Why is when a search is done for your name that this is what comes up?

IT MUST BE YOU RIGHT?

You claim to be in the music business and on tour.

I got those pics right from your myspace site.

THIS IS THE SITE THAT HAS YOUR MUSIC ON IT DOUCHEBAG!

HERE JOE'S ACTUAL VOICE ON THIS NEW SITE!

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=53026471

ALinChainz
07-10-2006, 02:09 PM
if you have any questions ally, feel free to pm me and I will answer them. It must be within 15 minutes though because I have a session at 230.

You have a session with your probation officer?

That or a session at the Taco Bell Value Menu.

ALinChainz
07-10-2006, 02:11 PM
I PM'd you Joe .. many times ... yet you flatly refuse to respond.

Shall I post them here?

Ally_Kat
07-10-2006, 02:15 PM
a boxing glove hun.

Oh, cuz you mentioned the baseball players before. Silly me. :o

Who will sign the boxing glove?

ALinChainz
07-10-2006, 02:17 PM
Watch what might be in that boxing glove Ally.

He stalks Minto and has a PPO against him, he cannot go amywhere near him.

And he fucks a boxing glove when he daydreams of Minto.

Ally_Kat
07-10-2006, 02:28 PM
Awesome. I'll make sure to clear my entire schedule ;)

Ally_Kat
07-10-2006, 02:42 PM
It's cool. The family comes from PA. I know my way around town ;)

jcook11
07-10-2006, 05:02 PM
Hw needs a surgical glove ...the trasnvestites won't give him his ajax enema session wtihout them

SensibleShoes
07-11-2006, 06:19 PM
Ally, it's so simple. All the men get erections when you are nearby and the extra weight just takes the building right down.

Seshmeister
07-11-2006, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by binnie
Pretty awful way to die.

Hope my life evr gets to the point where I even contemplate that. Never understood why anyone would want a public suicide.

You're obviously not a Partick Thistle fan...

Figs
07-11-2006, 09:03 PM
ahhhhhh marriage!

This thread was out hours before they reported the suicide....way to scoop, Ally.

I learn so much here....

Ally_Kat
07-11-2006, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by SensibleShoes
Ally, it's so simple. All the men get erections when you are nearby and the extra weight just takes the building right down.

That makes so much sense!

Ally_Kat
07-12-2006, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by Figs
ahhhhhh marriage!

This thread was out hours before they reported the suicide....way to scoop, Ally.

I learn so much here....

and to think I left the field of journalism.

I was wondering why they weren't running with the commissioner's quote sooner. They told reporters onscene that they had confirmation about the suicide threat and the scene supported it. Everyone ignored it until the day after. Go figure.

LoungeMachine
07-12-2006, 12:40 AM
Ally...

would you mind taking a class at the OEOB ??

LMMFAO

SensibleShoes
07-12-2006, 10:05 AM
and to think I left the field of journalism.

I was wondering why they weren't running with the commissioner's quote sooner. They told reporters onscene that they had confirmation about the suicide threat and the scene supported it. Everyone ignored it until the day after. Go figure.

Yeah the commissioner's quote did come out early, but there was nothing to substantiate it until the note was revealed. The AP was reporting the theory - but there is STILL such a stigma attached to suicide that it's a touchy place to go in a story unless you're damned sure it's true, and it makes a difference in the outcome.

EAT MY ASSHOLE
07-12-2006, 10:26 AM
Regarding this ridiculous story, in today's NY Post (the paper famous for the BEST, funniest headlines in the world)(when Andropov died, the front page sported the gem "How Now, Moscow?") they have officially dubbed the man "Dr. Boom" and had the all-too-obvious headline:

"HONEY, I BLEW UP THE HOUSE".

EAT MY ASSHOLE
07-12-2006, 10:29 AM
btw, the reason journailists have a RESPONSIBILITY not to report a suicide too soon is because it would constitute LIBEL if proved to be mistaken.

Imagine if it were your family: here a gas main breaks killing/maiming your mate - through no fault of your spouse's - and the papers stem public opinion immediately against him/her all too quickly call him "crazy", "suicidal", and best of all "Dr. Boom".

SensibleShoes
07-12-2006, 11:48 AM
In this situation, yes. The false insinuation that he deliberately blew the place up and thus injured many other people would be libelous. In the other kind of situation, where man simply jumps off bridge, we take the path that it doesn't really affect that many people - i.e. - it's nobody's damned business why somebody chose to take his/her own life. It only serves to drive the knife in deeper for the family. Bad form. Quite simply.

Ally_Kat
07-12-2006, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by EAT MY ASSHOLE
btw, the reason journailists have a RESPONSIBILITY not to report a suicide too soon is because it would constitute LIBEL if proved to be mistaken.

Originally posted by SensibleShoes
In this situation, yes. The false insinuation that he deliberately blew the place up and thus injured many other people would be libelous.

But it's not the reporters or the news organization at fault if they discuss how officials are saying they suspect suicide or arson or anything else like that. They're reporting what the officials are saying. If an official comes out to reporters and says, "hey, it's confirmed. This was a suicide attempt", how the hell is that libel?

Yeah, if a paper goes with that and doesn't cover their ass by crediting the source or throwing in that "allegedly" or "according to suchandsuch", there can be a problem if the family goes after them. But if they did cover their ass and report what the official is saying, the news organization wouldn't be at fault because they were reporting what the public figure was announcing as the cause or the probable cause in what was really an informal, onscene press conference.

SensibleShoes
07-12-2006, 01:27 PM
Oh we get notification all the time from Annenberg & Poynter about "allegedly" and "according to" not covering your ass anymore. There are plenty of court cases where those phrases have not been the legal shield the media once thought they were.

To my knowledge, the first official did NOT say it was confirmed, he was speculating. Protocol says you should have 3 sources in sensitive situations to go with something that is not presented as fact. It could be libel because the official might be wrong, and attributing under these circumstances does not remove the liability from the reporter. If the one official was willing to produce the note, and the reporter had first hand knowledge, then I'd go with it. But many a time I've known an official to be wrong. DEAD wrong. And journalism is getting more and more litigious as the years go by, those are chances that most journalists just choose not to take.

Remember, if they want to sue you, they can and will. By the time you get done paying the legal fees, the outcome may not matter.

Any doubts about that last point? Prozolaryck v. WKBW-TV, Capital Cities Communication. I no longer know the year. In that one, an FBI agent denied he identified the victim in a mob beating to our reporter. I KNOW he said it, first hand. They found for the plantiff.

Little Texan
07-17-2006, 01:47 AM
It took a week, but it looks like the doctor's suicide attempt finally succeeded.

Doctor suspected in building collapse dies
BY JENNIFER MALONEY
NEWSDAY STAFF WAGES

July 17, 2006

Nicholas Bartha promised that only death would separate him from his home.

He died late Saturday night, his four-story Upper East townhouse a pile of rubble.

Bartha, who had been in an induced coma at New York-Presbyterian Hospital since he was suspected to have detonated the $6.3-million house last Monday, had third-degree burns over 60 percent of his body. He was 66.

"You will be transformed from gold digger to ash and rubbish digger," Bartha wrote in an e-mail he sent to 26 people -- including his ex-wife, Cordula Hahn -- an hour before the blast. "You always wanted me to sell the house. I always told you I will leave the house only if I am dead."

Investigators said the explosion was caused by the deliberate installation of a valve that allowed natural gas to seep from the building's utility pipes. Bartha, a Romanian-born internist, was the only person inside the house when it erupted. Fourteen others were injured.

Hahn, approached by reporters yesterday at her home in Washington Heights, declined to comment.

Bartha's death marked the end of an acrimonious divorce and a bitter struggle over the landmark Neo-Grec home that to Bartha represented his achievement of the American dream.

Bartha and Hahn met in 1973 while studying in Europe, according to court records. They married in 1977. Bartha worked in hospital emergency rooms, where he developed a reputation as a gruff workaholic. Hahn resigned from her job at the Netherlands consulate and stayed home to raise their two daughters, Serena and Johanna.

Bartha partnered with his parents to buy the townhouse at 32 E. 62nd St. for $395,000. In 1986, Bartha, his wife and children moved in.

Hahn, a Dutch woman of Jewish origin, left their townhouse after Bartha traumatized her with swastika-adorned articles, according to court records. Bartha also ignored his wife's needs when she was battling cancer, court records said.

Hahn moved into a Washington Heights apartment with her two daughters. She filed for divorce in October 2001.

Soon after, a judge granted the divorce, ordering Bartha to pay $1.23 million and an additional monthly alimony of $2,000 for three years. Bartha appealed the verdict, a decision that ultimately cost him his house.

Friends and co-workers said the doctor with the thick accent was lonely, unhappy and increasingly eccentric. Obsessed with the house where he lived and ran a medical practice, Bartha rarely went out. Colleagues praised his medical skills, but said he had been acting strangely during the past few months.

He was "absolutely despondent about the breakup of his marriage," said Alan A. Winter, president of a dental imaging company that used to be housed in Bartha's building.

Police said Bartha had made an earlier attempt to commit suicide by gas.

In April 2006, a court ordered Bartha to sell the house and pay Hahn $4 million. An auction was scheduled for October.

He received an eviction order three days before the explosion.

"I think I deserve a $7 million crematorium/coffin," Bartha wrote in his last missive to friends, family and others. "I worked for it for 65 years."

Link (http://www.newsday.com/am-collapse0717,0,174110.story?coll=ny-yankees-utility)