PDA

View Full Version : Comfortably Dead - Syd Barrett has died

Seshmeister
07-11-2006, 09:38 AM
Syd Barrett has died.

More details to follow.

Seshmeister
07-11-2006, 09:44 AM
Exclusive: recent info about Syd Barrett.
15-04-2006
http://www.pink-floyd.org/artint/recentbarrett.htmlhttp://www.pink-floyd.org/artint/recentbarrett.html

Hi to all Barrett fans.

We recently collected updated news about Syd Barrett: they refer to the 2003-2005 period and, even if we are not allowed to reveal the source, we deem it reliabile enough. We trust all Pink Floyd fans will be happy to know Syd Barrett is doing well, within the limits of somebody who choose to leave the outer world outside the door.

It's no new news Syd reduced human contacts to almost zero. Currently, he keeps living a very solitary life, still showing signs of the paranoia, which led him to leave Pink Floyd. He is described as living "in a house with the lower ground windows bricked up", where he "often sits watching the back door for long periods of time". This said, it's true that, to the few people who happen to get in touch with him, he is friendly and glad "to have very ordinary conversations about everyday things".

His obvious concerns about the outside world don't prevent him to go to the shop a couple of times a day to pick up his tobacco.

Those who visited his house describe it as a place where he feels like living in comfort, even if without lavish furniture. The same people refer to Syd as somebody enjoying "a healthy interest in women". No matter the style of life he choose for himself, he definitely seems to have no problems paying bills.

Seshmeister
07-11-2006, 09:47 AM
http://www.sydbarrett.net/images/webb/pp1.jpg

http://www.sydbarrett.net/images/74-Now/roger2005.jpg

Seshmeister
07-11-2006, 09:50 AM
http://news.scotsman.com/index.cfm?id=1012162006

Syd Barrett of Pink Floyd dies, aged 60

HAMISH BROWN

The founding lead singer of Pink Floyd Syd Barrett has died at his Cambridge home from diabetes. He was 60.

Despite only recording one album with Pink Floyd and a handful of solo releases following his departure from the group, his influence on pop music is generally acknowledged to enormous.

Barret had not released any new material since 1972 and Since his departure from public life led a quiet and reclusive existence in Cambridge. Through time, he has become a celebrated but tragic figure, reknowned as much for his reputation as one of the first drug-casualties as for his music.

Shaun Ponsonby
07-11-2006, 09:51 AM
Bye bye Syd.

Seshmeister
07-11-2006, 09:54 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/5169344.stm

Last Updated: Tuesday, 11 July 2006, 13:50 GMT 14:50 UK

Pink Floyd's Barrett dies aged 60

Barrett became a recluse in the 1970s after leaving Pink Floyd
Syd Barrett, one of the original members of legendary rock group Pink Floyd, has died at the age of 60, the band's spokeswoman has confirmed.
He was born Roger Barrett in Cambridge and met future bandmates Roger Waters and David Gilmour at school there.

The guitarist was invited to join Pink Floyd by Waters in 1965 but left three years later after only one album with his mental state affected by drugs.

"He died very peacefully a couple of days ago," said the spokeswoman.

"There will be a private family funeral."

He had suffered from diabetes in recent years and had not been recording music.

Seshmeister
07-11-2006, 09:55 AM
Cool managed to post this on the web before anyone else...:)

Wonder if we'll manage that when Eddie goes...

Shaun Ponsonby
07-11-2006, 10:01 AM
I wonder if this will lead to a massive one-off tribute benefit from Floyd.

Seshmeister
07-11-2006, 10:07 AM
They could do it for an Insomnia Research Charity

Golden AWe
07-11-2006, 10:14 AM
RIP.

Gotta say I larve plenty of Pink Floyd from his period in the band. Smashing stuff, and something we DON'T hear on today's radio.

Full Bug
07-11-2006, 10:33 AM
Ah well, maybe now he will get some peace...Assuming there is such a thing....

Full Bug
07-11-2006, 10:40 AM
More then you ever needed to know about Syd.....
http://www.schizophrenia.com/stories/sbarrett.htm

Steve Savicki
07-11-2006, 10:49 AM
Sad indeed, what albums did he perform through (what era?)

Figs
07-11-2006, 10:53 AM
Good night funny man, good night.....

PHOENIX
07-11-2006, 11:08 AM
Gee thats sad.

Shaun Ponsonby
07-11-2006, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by Steve Savicki
Sad indeed, what albums did he perform through (what era?)

Do your own research.

If you don't know that, don't post as if you know.

DrMaddVibe
07-11-2006, 11:28 AM
Shine on you crazy Diamond.

RIP

Hardrock69
07-11-2006, 11:49 AM
No shit.

At least for the rest of his life, he was well-cared for (after he left PF).

Golden AWe
07-11-2006, 11:54 AM
My fav story is when the band was making "Wish you were here". They hadn't seen him for years, but somehow he just appeared on the studio, like he had sensed they were thinking about him.

Nickdfresh
07-11-2006, 12:01 PM
Pity, he had a saucer full of secrets he kept to the end...

Matt White
07-11-2006, 12:03 PM
Yup...the band hadn't seen him in years....

Very sad......

Shaun Ponsonby
07-11-2006, 12:04 PM
I can't help but think of all the great work he could have produced.

LoungeMachine
07-11-2006, 12:05 PM
Pink Floyd's Syd Barrett dies

Last Modified: 11 Jul 2006
Source: ITN

Syd Barrett, one of the founding members of Pink Floyd, has died at the age of 60. (Pic: www.pink-floyd.org)

A spokeswoman for the group said: "He died very peacefully a couple of days ago. There will be a private family funeral."

In recent years Barrett reverted to his birth name, Roger Keith Barrett. He lived reclusively in Cambridge.

In 1965, at the age of 21, Barrett founded the band with old pal Roger Waters and was one of its biggest songwriting talents in its early days.

But his behaviour became erratic, and he split with the band in 1968. During his final days with the group he could hardly perform as he was taking so much LSD.

When his drug-fuelled behaviour became too much, the band drafted in Dave Gilmour as guitarist, and decided not to pick Barrett up for gigs.

Waters wrote the song Shine On You Crazy Diamond about Barrett. It featured the lyrics "Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun. shine on you crazy diamond. now there's a look in your eyes, like black holes in the sky".

At Live 8, when Pink Floyd reunited without Barrett last year, Waters sang Wish You Were Here, which was originally a tribute to Barrett.

Barrett is thought to have named the band after two little-known bluesmen Pink Anderson and Floyd Council, as his record collection was found to include their recordings.

Mr Badguy
07-11-2006, 12:13 PM
This is sad, although the guy had been fucked up since `67.

Some of his lyrics were great, my favourites are "Bike" and "Astronomy Domine".

RIP Sid.

Shaun Ponsonby
07-11-2006, 01:29 PM
Hahahaha

"Bike" has the best lyrics ever.

"I've got a mouse
He hasn't got a house
I don't know why I called him Gerald"

Timeless?

Golden AWe
07-11-2006, 01:35 PM
It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here
And I'm most obliged to you for making it clear that I'm not here
And I never knew the moon could be so big
And I never knew the moon could be so blue
And I'm grateful that you threw away my old shoes
And brought me here instead dressed in red
And I'm wondering who could be writing this song

I don't care if the sun don't shine
And I don't care if nothing is mine
And I don't care if I'm nervous with you
I'll do my loving in the Winter.

And the sea isn't green
And I love the queen
And what exactly is a dream?
And what exactly is a joke?

Mr Badguy
07-11-2006, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by Shaun Ponsonby
Hahahaha

"Bike" has the best lyrics ever.

"I've got a mouse
He hasn't got a house
I don't know why I called him Gerald"

Timeless?

"I`ve got a cloak
It`s a bit of a joke
It`s got a tear up the front
I`ve had it for months"

Now THAT`S psychedelia.

Shaun Ponsonby
07-11-2006, 02:19 PM
Larvelly...

Loons The Great
07-11-2006, 02:25 PM
LUCIFER SAM

Lucifer Sam, Siam cat.
Always sitting by your side
Always by your side.
That cat's something I can't explain.

Jennifer Gentle you're a witch.
You're the left side
He's the right side.
Oh, no!

Lucifer simba go to sea.
Be a hip cat, be a ship's cat.
Somewhere, anywhere.

At night prowling sifting sand.
Hiding around on the ground.
He'll be found when you're around.

Matt White
07-11-2006, 05:15 PM
''His impact on my thinking was enormous. A major regret is that I never got to know him. A diamond indeed.''

- David Bowie

''Syd was the guiding light of the early band lineup and leaves a legacy which continues to inspire.''

- Joint statement from Pink Floyd

Reverberator
07-11-2006, 07:24 PM
He had a big knob too .

FORD
07-11-2006, 09:59 PM
Dedicated to Syd now, as it was a year ago, and as it was first written....

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/23DFJRmFVfQ"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/23DFJRmFVfQ" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

So, so you think you can tell
Heaven from Hell,
Blue skys from pain.
Can you tell a green field
From a cold steel rail?
A smile from a veil?
Do you think you can tell?

And did they get you to trade
Your heros for ghosts?
Hot ashes for trees?
Hot air for a cool breeze?
Cold comfort for change?
And did you exchange
A walk on part in the war
For a lead role in a cage?

How I wish, how I wish you were here.
We're just two lost souls
Swimming in a fish bowl,
Year after year,
Running over the same old ground.
What have we found?
The same old fears.
Wish you were here.

Shine on, Syd. :(

Shaun Ponsonby
07-12-2006, 12:03 PM
"Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun.
Shine on you crazy diamond.
Now theres a look in your eyes, like black holes in the sky.
You were caught on the crossfire of childhood and stardom, blown on the
Steel breeze.
Come on you target for faraway laughter, come on you stranger, you legend,
You martyr, and shine...

You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Threatened by shadows at night, and exposed in the light.
Well you wore out your welcome with random precision, rode on the
Steel breeze.
Come on you raver, you seer of visions, come on you painter, you piper,
You prisoner, and shine...

Nobody knows where you are, how near or how far.
Pile on many more layers and Ill be joining you there.
And well bask in the shadow of yesterdays triumph, and sail
On the steel breeze.
Come on you boy child, you winner and loser, come on you miner
For truth and delusion, and shine..."

Cockney Cant
07-13-2006, 07:33 PM
Tis sad.

Full Bug
07-13-2006, 10:52 PM
BOB DAISLEY, JOE LYNN TURNER Among Stars Weighing In On Passing Of PINK FLOYD Founder Syd Barrett

Online Rock Radio (www.therockradio.com) has issued the following report:

Musicians and fans are still in shock over the death last week of PINK FLOYD co-founder Syd Barrett at the age of 60.

Former RAINBOW and DEEP PURPLE singer JOE LYNN TURNER told us, "I don't know anyone that loved Pink Floyd that wasn't influenced in some way by Barrett's presence and songwriting. He was a big voice in the band, although he was always overshadowed by the others. He was a true original, and there will never be another one like him again. He will be truly missed."

Former OZZY OSBOURNE bassist BOB DAISLEY told us, "His situation reminds me of Brian Jones' with the ROLLING STONES. In my opinion, without either of them, Brian and Syd, I think there would not have been a Rolling Stones or a Pink Floyd as we know them. Brian was probably there to welcome him into the place where the good musicians go, bless 'em both."

BEACH BOY Bruce Johnston, who did some of the vocal arrangements on The Wall, told us, "Syd Barrett dreamed up the 'roots' path for Pink Floyd to 'fill out' in future amazing albums. We might not have had The Wall and The Dark Side Of The Moon had it not been for Syd's early musical contributions."

JAMES GANG drummer Jimmy Fox told us, "Syd was an early example to us of what could be accomplished by thinking outside the traditional boundaries of rock music. His early work sounded like no one else and it caught our attention because it was so different, both musically and, especially, lyrically."

Nickdfresh
07-13-2006, 11:41 PM
Well, he's definitely "outside the wall" now...

Ozzy Fudd
07-13-2006, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by Full Bug
More then you ever needed to know about Syd.....
http://www.schizophrenia.com/stories/sbarrett.htm

that explains allot of the songs to me now.
i never knew thanks Bug

Full Bug
07-14-2006, 10:07 PM
Funny story from Alice Cooper....:D

ALICE COOPER Remembers SYD BARRETT - July 14, 2006

TheRockRadio.com has issued the following report:

You might not think that the king of shock rock and Syd Barrett had much in common, but that's not the case. When the ALICE COOPER band was still making their name in Los Angeles in the late '60s, they were the house band at the Cheetah Club, where they met the original members of PINK FLOYD, who were in town to play a couple of shows there. In fact, the FLOYD guys ran out of money and moved into the house where Alice and his bandmates lived, and the two groups hung out a lot.

Cooper told TheRockRadio.com that he and Barrett shared "a moment" of sorts one day over breakfast. "Syd was sitting there at the table, and the box of cereal was between us," he said. "And he was watching the box of cereal the way that I would watch 'Star Trek' on television. He was seeing something I wasn't seeing. I don't know what he was on, but he could have sat there all day, staring into that cereal, and he would have been just as happy as anybody else."

Cooper also told TheRockRadio.com that he knew something was really wrong with Barrett at one of the gigs: "I remember the one night — and in fact, I mentioned this to (PINK FLOYD singer-bassist) Roger Waters, and he says, 'That was the night we knew Syd was in a lot of trouble mentally' — during their first song, he hits a chord, and he gets a shock, and then he just stops playing. The rest of the set, he just stands there and stares, for about an hour-and-a-half. Never played another note — just stood there and stared. And the band just played."

Full Bug
07-22-2006, 10:38 PM
Some Syd Barret era Floyd, 1967.....
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TGRwQV_XAz0"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TGRwQV_XAz0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

pete
07-23-2006, 02:49 PM
In his solo albums you can hear a steady deterioration that is beautiful and very compelling yet tragic.

Alot of music since has aspired to acheive the feeling of madness for dramas sake, but you know it's real when you hear it. Dark, tragic and sometimes funny.

If art to you is defined as expression, this guy gave alot. Very brave in a way.

Dark Globe - covered by Palcebo (http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=B1D09BE16CDE7E99)

"Dark Globe"

Oh where are you now
pussy willow that smiled on this leaf?
When I was alone
you promised the stone from your heart.
My head kissed the ground
I was half the way down
treading the sand
please.

Please lift a hand
I'm only a person
whose armbands beat