PDA

View Full Version : Derek Jeter is the AL MVP

Bob_R
07-11-2006, 10:58 PM
Jeter plays a tough position and plays it very well and he is the leader of the team.

Jeter contributes in many different ways offensively. He is a big reason that the Yankees are only 3 games behind Boston.

When he bats third, usually the 2 hole hitter, he's hitting .388 with a .500 OBP.

He hit .355 in June and July after Hideki Matsui and Gary Sheffield went on the disabled list.

You want big hits? Guess who has more hits (16) and a better batting average (.364) in close-and-late situations than Thome, Dye and Ortiz? Yep, Jeter. Guess who has more hits with runners in scoring position (30) Jeter, a .357 hitter in those spots, including .371 with two outs.

Here are his stats

G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI TB BB SO SB CS OBP SLG AVG
81 325 58 112 19 2 5 52 150 42 51 18 2 .427 .462 .345

Ortiz, Thome, Dye are in the running and there is alot of baseball left to play. My point simply is that if the season had ended Jeter is the MVP.

What do you think Dave, Poj, Al, VA?

Am I nuts or does Jeter deserve heavy consideration?

POJO_Risin
07-11-2006, 11:35 PM
Jeter is a cunt.

That being said, I don't think you had to oversell him like you did. I honestly think he is a consideration every year, or should be. He's overshadowed in NY because of the others on the team, and the money that Steiney forks out. But he's the heart and glue of the team.

This year, he could get his due, but we'll see.

He doesn't seem to be a major player in the MVP talk, but I did hear Mike and Mike a couple of weeks ago talking about him. Maybe you are onto something.

And if I haven't mentioned it. Jeter is a cunt.

Guitar Shark
07-11-2006, 11:45 PM
As much as I dislike Jeter (and HATE the Yankees), it's tough to build a better case for anyone else right now.

Here's a decent article summing up the potential candidates that I was reading earlier today:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/tom_verducci/07/11/inside.baseball/?cnn=yes

Dave's PA Rental
07-12-2006, 01:30 PM
...just as long as it's NOT A-Rod...

Figs
07-12-2006, 01:35 PM
If I had to pick anyone on the team to be up at bat when a crucial hit is needed, I'd pick him.

Dave's PA Rental
07-12-2006, 01:39 PM
seriously, I think Derek Jeter is a great...GREAT player. That being said, ive read that the sabermetric people find he is over-rated as a defensive shortstop because of his lack of range; ie, he doesnt make alot of errors because he can't get to the hole like a Miguel Tejada. Sure he dives around and gets his uniform dirty, but balls he has to dive for, Tejada fields cleanly...

It's like the hockey player who puts his head down and pumps his arms real wild to make it look like he is skating down the ice real fast...

Anyway, since the true meaning of MVP is never followed (most valuable to his team, NOT 'best player') it's a moot point...

And probably HGHambi is the most valuable Yankee at this point...

Figs
07-12-2006, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by Dave's PA Rental
seriously, I think Derek Jeter is a great...GREAT player. That being said, ive read that the sabermetric people find he is over-rated as a defensive shortstop because of his lack of range; ie, he doesnt make alot of errors because he can't get to the hole like a Miguel Tejada. Sure he dives around and gets his uniform dirty, but balls he has to dive for, Tejada fields cleanly...

Yeah, I can see that, Ripken was like that - high fielding %, limited range

Anyway, since the true meaning of MVP is never followed (most valuable to his team, NOT 'best player') it's a moot point...

I think they followed that meaning when Mo Vaughn won over Albert Belle....

Figs
07-12-2006, 01:55 PM
...I should follow that and say that's at least the voter's stated reason Vaughn got it....the real reason was that Belle was a prick....

Warham
07-12-2006, 04:09 PM
David Ortiz is the MVP this year.

It's not even close.

DlocRoth
07-12-2006, 05:48 PM
If I need a hit, I'm calling on Scott Brosius, not Jeter.

Guitar Shark
07-12-2006, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by Warham
David Ortiz is the MVP this year.

It's not even close.

Except that Ortiz is the DH and contributes nothing defensively.

Bob_R
07-12-2006, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by DlocRoth
If I need a hit, I'm calling on Scott Brosius, not Jeter.

:lol:

Bob_R
07-12-2006, 09:11 PM

It's like the hockey player who puts his head down and pumps his arms real wild to make it look like he is skating down the ice real fast...

And probably HGHambi is the most valuable Yankee at this point...

I don't understand and I don't believe that Jeter is over-rated at all defensively. I see him play just about every game. He's as solid as they come. He makes spectular plays quite often.

http://i.walmart.com/i/p/00/80/94/18/26/0080941826067_215X215.jpg

vheddyrmv8
07-12-2006, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by Guitar Shark

Saved A-Rod from getting an error last night, it's not like he's not good defensively, anyone who think's he isn't a good first basemen is seriously misguided.

Dave's PA Rental
07-12-2006, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by EVH FANATIC
I don't understand and I don't believe that Jeter is over-rated at all defensively. I see him play just about every game. He's as solid as they come. He makes spectular plays quite often.

No question, Jeter is a first ballot HOF'er.

I don't get to watch him every night, so I was purposly vague in my criticizm of his defense. I was just refering to what some baseball 'stat-heads' have reported. From what I have seen, I can see how they may have a point about his limited range. But i'm a biased Red Sox fan, so there's that...

DrMaddVibe
07-12-2006, 10:11 PM
Jeter is a douchebag!

Bob_R
07-12-2006, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by DrMaddVibe
Jeter is a douchebag!

Wow! That was a really insightful and intelligent thought.

ALinChainz
07-12-2006, 11:28 PM
In light of everything, you have to like the way he has stepped in the absence of a lot of offense in the Yankee line-up.

Warham
07-13-2006, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by Guitar Shark

I don't think it'll matter.

His offensive statistics will be so far ahead of everyone elses, that'll more than make up for his lack of playing first base.

Bob_R
09-06-2006, 09:28 PM
Well I've never thought that my proclaimation of Jeter for MVP was far fetched. But, now we're much later in the season and my opinion still holds.

He's hitting .343 (2nd in the league going into tonight's action) with 12 HR's, 84 RBI and 183 hits. He hits 2nd, plays SS and plays for a 1st place team.

David Ortiz has amazing numbers but he's missed some time (not sure if he's back) and plays for a team that will finish 2nd or 3rd in it's division. Boston could have done that without him. How can you give a MVP award to a player whose team probably doesn't make the playoffs?

On a side note, I wish Ortiz the best with his recent heart problem.

Dave's PA Rental
09-10-2006, 12:27 AM
Boston could have done that without him.

OH. MY. GOD.

Hypocracy. Do you mean to tell me that last years Yankees don't tie the Red Sox for first place and lose in the first round of the playoffs WITHOUT Alex Rodriguez?????? What a joke!

Mariano Rivera was the MVP of the Yankees last year.

Anyone but A-Rod. Seriously. If Mo won it, I wouldnt still be so bitter.

Papi got robbed last year, like Williams in '47. Ted Williams gets the Triple Crown, but Dimaggio gets the MVP.

While Big Papi should win it (no one is more valuable to his team than Ortiz...) if Jeter gets it then im fine with that. I have nothing but respect for Jeter.

Seriously EVH, just type the words 'A-Rod did not deserve the MVP last year' and I will move on and let it go...

Bob_R
09-12-2006, 08:01 PM
Seriously EVH, just type the words 'A-Rod did not deserve the MVP last year' and I will move on and let it go...

I'm sorry my friend but I won't type that. A-Rod had a monster year last season. I'll admit it could have gone either way.

Bob_R
09-12-2006, 08:05 PM
I actually lost alittle respect for Ortiz after reading this.

Jeter won't return Papi blast

Ortiz: I'm MVP, Derek unworthy

BY SAM BORDEN
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

BALTIMORE - Derek Jeter didn't seem particularly moved by David Ortiz's argument that the Yankee shortstop's season isn't MVP-worthy because he's got so many talented hitters around him. A day after Ortiz said that Jeter should "come hit in this lineup, see how good you can be," Jeter responded succinctly yesterday.

"I don't have to do it in his lineup," he said. The captain shrugged when asked further about Ortiz's comments, saying, "I'm not thinking about the MVP right now. We're thinking about winning a division. We've still got something to play for."

He then added, "No one here's focused on individual awards."

At this point, that seems to be all that Ortiz and the Red Sox have left to focus on since they trail the Yanks by 10-1/2 games in the AL East. Ortiz began his remarks following Sunday's game in Boston by saying he didn't believe the Red Sox's collapse should affect his candidacy to win the MVP.

A year ago, he lost out to Alex Rodriguez; this year, his competition seems to be Jeter and White Sox outfielder Jermaine Dye, with several Twins (Justin Morneau, Joe Mauer and even Johan Santana) also in the mix.

"I'll tell you one thing," Ortiz told The Boston Globe. "If I get 50 home runs (he's got 48) and 10 more RBI (which would give him 137), that's going to be a round number that no one else in the American League will have. But they'll vote for a position player, use that as an excuse. They're talking about Jeter a lot, right? He's done a great job, he's having a great season, but Jeter is not a 40-homer hitter or an RBI guy. It doesn't matter how much you've done for your ballclub, the bottom line is, the guy who hits 40 home runs and knocks in 100, that's the guy you know helped your team win games."

Ortiz then praised Jeter before making his comment about how Jeter might fare if he hit in Boston's lineup instead of the Yanks'.

Johnny Damon played with Ortiz in Boston from 2002-05 and was surprised to hear of his former teammate's comments.

"It doesn't sound like Ortiz," Damon said. "I can't believe he would say something like that."

Damon said he thought Ortiz was a "shoo-in" to beat out A-Rod last year but believes being a DH hurt him with the voters. He likes Jeter's chances this year.

"I'm going to choose my teammate, bottom line," Damon said. "I've seen the value of (Jeter) here."

Published September 12,2006

Figs
09-12-2006, 10:21 PM
I saw that in the Post. The funny part is he bashes his own lineup as much as Jeter!

Although it's true the Yanks have a better lineup...

VHdamaco
09-12-2006, 11:05 PM
No love for the leader in Wins, ERA, K's and IP's?

The Twins would not be even close without johan santana's stats, leadership and unbeaten Sept records dating since 2004 (i think it was 04)...

if the Twins somehow win the Central, he's pushed to the top of the pile...

Bob_R
09-18-2006, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by VHdamaco
No love for the leader in Wins, ERA, K's and IP's?

The Twins would not be even close without johan santana's stats, leadership and unbeaten Sept records dating since 2004 (i think it was 04)...

if the Twins somehow win the Central, he's pushed to the top of the pile...

Santana's having a sensational season.

But, should a pitcher be able to win an MVP award?

Very difficult to answer.

tjvhou812
09-23-2006, 11:00 AM
JETER is a good player, but he's should'nt be MVP
his numbers dont compare to papi

he might have the average but look at

RBI's HR's Clutch hits SLG %

But you know jeter will get it, becuase he's in the playoffs

Bob_R
09-23-2006, 12:52 PM
MVP stands for Most Valuable Player. Papi has the best numbers but he's not the most valuable to his team.

tjvhou812
09-25-2006, 01:04 AM
MVP stands for Most Valuable Player. Papi has the best numbers but he's not the most valuable to his team.

He's not?...then who is...Manny

Bob_R
09-25-2006, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by tjvhou812
He's not?...then who is...Manny

I meant to his 'team' in general. Meaning any player. Papi certainly is very valuable to the Red Sox.

Papi has the best numbers in the AL. He is not the MVP IMO. His team is going to finish in 2nd or 3rd place double digits games behind the Yanks.

Papi should win the award if it was named Player of the Year.

I don't believe the MVP should be given to a guy just solely because he's in the top in HR's and RBI's.

tjvhou812
09-28-2006, 04:19 PM
I meant to his 'team' in general. Meaning any player. Papi certainly is very valuable to the Red Sox.

Papi has the best numbers in the AL. He is not the MVP IMO. His team is going to finish in 2nd or 3rd place double digits games behind the Yanks.

Papi should win the award if it was named Player of the Year.

I don't believe the MVP should be given to a guy just solely because he's in the top in HR's and RBI's.

But you got to remember Arod got the MVP when he was w/texas
an they finished last

Dave's PA Rental
09-28-2006, 08:29 PM
You know who is the only person who should be considered AL MVP this year besides Papi?

Frank Fucking Thomas.

I don't hate Derek Jeter. I really don't. After staying up and watching that game in '03 when Jeter crashed into the stands...the same game that Nomar pouted on the bench while everyone else on the Sox was standing on the top step of the dugout...

I don't hate Jeter... obnoxious fist pumps and all...

And he is having a monster year.

(wait for it...)

BUT!!!!!

On a team of all-stars with a 200 million dollar payroll, you mean to tell me that Derek Jeter stands HEAD AND FUCKING SHOULDERS above all of his teammates for this year's Yankee team? A team that is running away with their division by 12-13 games?

So without Derek Jeter this year the Yankees win the East by, what...6 games? 5 games?

Give me the mother fuckingest of fucking breaks.

Lets end the charade and just change the name of the award to "Anual Award For Yankee With The Best Statistics" and be done with it.

Without David Ortiz, the 2006 Boston Red Sox are the Tampa Bay Fucking Devil Rays.

Dave's PA Rental
09-28-2006, 08:34 PM
By the way EVH...the Boston Massacre Part II was EXACTLY that, and ive NEVER been so fucking pissed at the Red Sox in my entire life. The Yankees has ALL KINDS of injuries this year, and they kept winning. I give them all the credit in the world.

But then I think back to Johnny Damon hitting that Grand Slam in Game 7 (that, in my opinion, was the exact instant that the curse was broken...) and I smile and chuckle to myself.

Bob_R
09-29-2006, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by tjvhou812
But you got to remember Arod got the MVP when he was w/texas
an they finished last

Good point.

A-Rod's numbers were so outstanding that season.

tjvhou812
09-30-2006, 03:22 PM
You know who is the only person who should be considered AL MVP this year besides Papi?

Frank Fucking Thomas.

I don't hate Derek Jeter. I really don't. After staying up and watching that game in '03 when Jeter crashed into the stands...the same game that Nomar pouted on the bench while everyone else on the Sox was standing on the top step of the dugout...

I don't hate Jeter... obnoxious fist pumps and all...

And he is having a monster year.

(wait for it...)

BUT!!!!!

On a team of all-stars with a 200 million dollar payroll, you mean to tell me that Derek Jeter stands HEAD AND FUCKING SHOULDERS above all of his teammates for this year's Yankee team? A team that is running away with their division by 12-13 games?

So without Derek Jeter this year the Yankees win the East by, what...6 games? 5 games?

Give me the mother fuckingest of fucking breaks.

Lets end the charade and just change the name of the award to "Anual Award For Yankee With The Best Statistics" and be done with it.

Without David Ortiz, the 2006 Boston Red Sox are the Tampa Bay Fucking Devil Rays.

well said

Dave's PA Rental
09-30-2006, 11:27 PM
Rooting for the Yankees is like rooting for the sun to come up.

Bob_R
10-01-2006, 07:54 PM
Rooting for the Yankees is like rooting for the sun to come up.

And that's one hell of a compliment.

Figs
10-01-2006, 09:08 PM
Lets end the charade and just change the name of the award to "Anual Award For Yankee With The Best Statistics" and be done with it

True, they always hand it to them: A-Rod, Mattingly, Munson, do we have to go back more than 30 years?

Ortiz got "screwed" last year due to anti-DH bias, that's it!

Dave's PA Rental
10-03-2006, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by Figs
True, they always hand it to them: A-Rod, Mattingly, Munson, do we have to go back more than 30 years?

Ortiz got "screwed" last year due to anti-DH bias, that's it!

Many who vote for MVP have been quoted as saying just that...

Figs, isnt there a Big Day Out somewhere that you should go play in?...

Sammy Who??
10-04-2006, 10:38 PM
It\'s a no brainer this year.

Jeter is the AL MVP.

Dave's PA Rental
10-09-2006, 10:30 PM
Sounds like an MVP to me...

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/story/459943p-386970c.html

Oh relax...he's gonna win it...

VHdamaco
10-10-2006, 10:31 AM
this makes no sense...

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/index?&lpos=globalnav&lid=gn_Page2_Page2

as i'd get rid of Arod before anyone else...

Bob_R
10-10-2006, 10:40 AM
Sounds like an MVP to me...

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/story/459943p-386970c.html

Oh relax...he's gonna win it...

So a MVP has to help players on their team with personal problems?

A-Rod doesn't need Jeter's help he needs a shrink's help.

Dave's PA Rental
10-10-2006, 07:43 PM
So a MVP has to help players on their team with personal problems?

From the John Harper article...

It is no news bulletin that A-Rod wants to be liked, accepted, loved, however you want to say it, by his teammates, especially Jeter. And the captain hasn't budged on the matter, to the point where an ex-teammate, who wouldn't use his name for fear of crossing Jeter, said yesterday it creates a certain tension at times.

"He won't let Alex in," the former Yankee said of Jeter. "Everyone in there knows it, and it bothers Alex and impacts the clubhouse."

Sounds to me like Captain Intangibles let his ego get in the way of his team's success...not very Jeter-like at all...:(

Jeter sets the tone for everything the Yankees do, so while he got tons of credit, and rightfully so, when they won, he has to take some of the blame now for allowing the A-Rod mess to seemingly suffocate this team. He has kept A-Rod at arm's length, apparently all because he can't get past the famous Esquire article of five years ago in which A-Rod allowed his jealousy and self-esteem issues to surface for the first time.

So no, an MVP doesnt have to help players on their team with personal problems...but he shouldnt let one of the best players (statistically) twist in the wind like that. At least, not if Jeter was about winning first and his ego second...

Dave's PA Rental
10-10-2006, 07:45 PM
...this is like Christmas Morning for Red Sox fans...

Bob_R
10-10-2006, 10:28 PM
Jeter is all about winning first and foremost. And, you're smart enough to know that PA.

Look neither of us are in the clubhouse we can't possibly know with 100 percent certainty how Jeter and A-Rod feel about each other.

Just like we'll never know everything surrounding Roth and EVH. We know alot but we'll never know everything and to the extent of it.

POJO_Risin
10-11-2006, 12:15 AM
I could go many...many ways with this...and I'll just say this...

the MVP isn't defined...as it's been proven year after year after year...

It's all about who is TALKED ABOUT period...

You can make a case for Jeter...you can make a case for Ortiz. I like the Frank Thomas discussions...

Whoever wins...and it will be Jeter...they are just as deserving as the next guy.

Christ...if you really want 1 GUY that got his player into the playoffs?

How about Johan Santana...

no 1 single player had such a single hand carrying a team than that guy...

especially with Liriano out.

Santana is the best pitcher in the league by...a long fucking way...

Dave's PA Rental
10-11-2006, 08:24 PM
Jeter is all about winning first and foremost.

I always thought that...that's why I find it odd that Jeter keeps May-Rod (heh...I got that from a Yankee board!) at arms length. And sure, we arent in the clubhouse, and maybe this Dailynews writer has it out for Jeter.

But I find it odd that the captain of the Yankees not only didnt go out of his way to make one of the best talents in the game feel more accepted as a true Yankee, but there is EVERY indication that Jeter looked down his nose at him and let him twist in the wind...

I am a Red Sox fan, and I think that Mariano Rivera (a Yankee) should have been the MVP last year. A case was made for David Ortiz last year, and no one thought that it was possible for Ortiz to have a better year this year...Guess what...he did.

It's obviously tough for me to accept that, on a team of all-stars at every position, Derek Jeter was the "difference maker" for this year's Yankee team...

Bob_R
10-11-2006, 09:04 PM
May-Rod

Hehe. That's pretty good.

POJO_Risin
10-11-2006, 09:16 PM
You see Dave's PA Rental...you can steer a ship...

IE...I thought Jeter for MVP was fine until you started piping up here. Now, I actually agree with you.

Jeter is a winner...and plays to win...and realizes that it's all about key hits at the right time. That, however, doesn't make him all that unique in that clubhouse. I actually could put Giambi up there as well. He's more than likely just as important in that clubhouse as Jeter is, has shown an incredible amount of resiliency since the steroid incident, and is the vocal leader...often taking the heat FOR EVERYONE. He WANTS to be a Yankee, had a great rebound season.

My vote isn't for Ortiz. The Red Sox folded...period...

Santana...period...

and if you thought Rivera last year (as I did...although I would have put Ortiz ahead of him)...than Santana would blow him away in voting.

May-Rod...perhaps the funniest thing I've read in weeks...I've been laughing since I first read it today...lmfao...

tjvhou812
10-17-2006, 01:14 AM
Originally posted by POJO_Risin

the MVP isn't defined...as it's been proven year after year after year...

It's all about who is TALKED ABOUT period...

Well fucking said

Bob_R
11-21-2006, 10:20 PM
It could have gone either way.

11/21/2006 6:24 PM ET
Jeter runner-up in AL MVP Award voting

NEW YORK -- Derek Jeter has been picking up his share of hardware this offseason, but he missed out on the crown jewel of awards on Tuesday, as Justin Morneau captured the American League Most Valuable Player Award.

Jeter finished with 306 points to Morneau's 320, receiving 12 first-place votes to Morneau's 15. Jeter also earned 14 second-place votes, a fourth-place vote and a sixth-place vote.

"To really appreciate the kind of work he does, you have to see him on a regular basis," Yankees manager Joe Torre said. "We've had players who have come over from different organizations, and after a month or so, they've come to me and said, 'I always knew he was a good player, but I never realized how good he was.'"

Morneau received eight second-place votes, three third-place votes and two fourth-place votes. The only other players listed on all 28 ballots were Boston's David Ortiz, who finished third, and Chicago's Jermaine Dye, who finished fifth. Oakland's Frank Thomas, who came in fourth, was named on 26.

Jeter, a seven-time All-Star, ranked second in the American League with a .343 batting average and 118 runs scored, fourth with a .417 on-base percentage and sixth with 34 stolen bases. Jeter also drove in 97 runs out of the No. 2 spot in New York's lineup.

"When he knocks in a run, it's different than when a home run hitter does it," Torre said. "A home run hitter can get himself two or three quick RBIs, where Derek, for the most part, is knocking them in one at a time."

Jeter came through when his team needed him to this season, batting .381 with runners in scoring position. That ranked second among all American League players with at least 100 such at-bats, trailing only Texas' Michael Young, who hit .412. Mauer hit .360 with RISP, while Dye hit .351, Morneau .323 and Ortiz .288.

"It was the closest call of any MVP race in recent memory, but to me, the deciding factor was Jeter's average with runners in scoring position," said Bob Klapisch of the Bergen Record, who listed Jeter first on his ballot. "He showed a unique ability to handle pressure."

Jeter also topped Morneau, Ortiz and Dye in hits, runs, doubles, batting average, on-base percentage and stolen bases.

"While I know that voting for these awards is primarily based on differing opinions and statistical debates, it's also part of what makes baseball such a great sport," Jeter said in a statement released by the Yankees.

"Having said that, I'm flattered and honored to have been considered for the American League Most Valuable Player Award. I want to congratulate Justin Morneau on this well-deserved honor. He is a special player, and I suspect this won't be the last time you will hear his name mentioned when awards are being passed out.

"You've heard me say it a thousand times, but winning the World Series for the New York Yankees continues to be my main focus. There is no individual award that can compare with a championship trophy, and I look forward to working towards that challenge again in 2007."

The fact that the Yankees essentially wrapped up the AL East in August with their five-game sweep of the Red Sox may have hurt Jeter. Morneau and the Twins fought until the final weekend of the season to win the AL Central, which apparently swayed some voters.

"I thought both had great years, in different ways," said the Newark Star-Ledger's Ed Price, who listed Jeter second on his ballot. "I voted Morneau first because his team was in a closer race, and I thought the way he played when the Twins got hot and got back in the race made him more instrumental to his team's finish."

According to the Elias Sports Bureau, Jeter became just the fifth player in the past 75 seasons to hit .340 or higher, drive in at least 90 runs and steal 30 or more bases in the same season. The others were Larry Walker (1997), Ellis Burks (1996), Willie Mays (1958) and Jackie Robinson (1949).

"To play at that kind of high level all year, it's very difficult to do," Torre said. "He means so much to our team."

Jeter, who was named the MVP of the 2000 World Series and All-Star Game, would have been the third player to win those two awards in addition to a league MVP award. Brooks Robinson (1964 AL MVP, 1966 All-Star MVP and 1970 WS MVP) and Frank Robinson (1961 NL MVP, 1966 AL MVP, 1966 WS MVP, 1971 All-Star MVP) are the others.

Since the end of the season, Jeter has picked up several awards, including the AL Hank Aaron Award, the Silver Slugger and his third consecutive Gold Glove.

The second-place finish is the best of Jeter's career. He came in third in 1998, behind Juan Gonzalez and Nomar Garciaparra. Jeter also finished sixth in 1999, but hadn't placed higher than 10th since then.

This is the fifth straight season in which a Yankee has finished in the top three of the MVP vote. In 2002, Alfonso Soriano finished third behind Miguel Tejada and Alex Rodriguez. The next year, Jorge Posada came in third, finishing behind A-Rod and Carlos Delgado. In 2004, Gary Sheffield placed second behind Vladimir Guerrero, while A-Rod captured the award as a Yankee in 2005.

Joe DiMaggio, Yogi Berra and Mickey Mantle won three MVPs apiece, while Roger Maris won two. Other Yankees winners were Lou Gehrig, Joe Gordon, Spud Chandler, Phil Rizzuto, Elston Howard, Thurman Munson, Don Mattingly and Rodriguez.

Dave's PA Rental
11-21-2006, 11:24 PM
The local news teased it by saying the MVP this year came out of Minnesota...at that point, I was sure it would be Mauer...

I didnt think that Morneau was even being considered...

PlexiBrown
11-21-2006, 11:31 PM
Let's Go Mets....three Mets were in the top 10 for MVP voting. They are on the rise.

ALinChainz
11-22-2006, 11:01 PM
Jeter getting a 6th place vote on a NY writer's ballot is insane.

Bob_R
11-22-2006, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by ALinChainz
Jeter getting a 6th place vote on a NY writer's ballot is insane.

Probably a Mets fan. :D

Joe Mannix
11-25-2006, 01:05 AM
Face it Jeter got robbed, I agree, this was his year.