PDA

View Full Version : Rumsfeld in Iraq

Steve Savicki
07-12-2006, 03:00 PM
http://www.military.com/NewsContent/0,13319,105183,00.html

After the mistakes he's made, I'm not sure anyone will trust him to be able to make peace no matter what groups he's dealing with.

Do you think the Sunni and Shiite will want anything to do with him?

Nickdfresh
07-12-2006, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by Steve Savicki
http://www.military.com/NewsContent/0,13319,105183,00.html

After the mistakes he's made, I'm not sure anyone will trust him to be able to make peace no matter what groups he's dealing with.

Do you think the Sunni and Shiite will want anything to do with him?

STEVE, THIS IS THE LAST ARTICLE I WILL CUT AND PASTE FOR YOU. ALL FUTURE ENTRIES WILL BE DUMPED UNLESS THE LINK IS ACCOMPANIED BY THE TEXT OF THE ARTICLE. I DON'T EVEN CARE IF IT'S A LINK TO BREAKING NEWS OF KARL ROVE BEING SHOT WHILE HUNTING BY DICK CHENEY. THANK YOU FOR YOUR COOPERATION IN THIS MATTER.

Rumsfeld Visits Iraq
Associated Press | July 12, 2006
BALAD, Iraq - Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld said Wednesday on an unannounced visit to an air base north of Baghdad that the new Iraqi government is not yet ready to decide on security issues that will determine the pace of U.S. troop reductions this year.

Speaking to reporters on a flight from Afghanistan, Rumsfeld said the Iraqis are embarked "on a comprehensive review" of their security requirements, as well an effort to reconcile Sunni and Shiite groups to broaden political support for the government.

Asked how long that might take, he said, "I don't talk deadlines."

There now are about 129,000 U.S. troops in Iraq and U.S. officials have expressed hope that the total could be reduced to 100,000 by the end of the year, with further cuts in 2007. Rumsfeld's remarks suggested that the timing and scope of troops cuts is still in doubt.

Rumsfeld was met at his airplane by Gen. George Casey, the top American commander in Iraq. They were was holding a town hall style meeting with troops at the air base, a major logistics hub for the distribution of supplies to troops throughout Iraq, and later meeting with Iraqi and U.S. military and civilian officials.

Rumsfeld also indicated on his flight to Iraq that he did not expect any change for now in the legal arrangement under which American troops fighting in Iraq are immune from domestic laws. Some Iraqi leaders have questioned that immunity in light of a recent string of allegations of murder and other atrocities committed by U.S. troops against Iraqi civilians.

He said the Iraqis are free to say what they want, but that with regard to the handling of allegations against U.S. service members, "It's being handled as it should be."

He indicated no heightened level of concern about the conduct of U.S. troops and said he did not intend to raise the matter in his talks Wednesday with top commanders, although he did not rule out that they might raise it with him.

Among the most recent cases is the alleged rape and slaying of a young Iraqi woman and the killing of her family members in Mahmoudiyah.

"Ninety-nine percent of the American troops and the coalition forces are performing in a highly professional and a courageous and skillful way," he said. "When allegations like this come up like this obviously it hurts the 99.9 percent of the troops as much as anybody."

In his in-flight remarks to reporters, Rumsfeld emphasized the importance of an Iraqi political reconciliation.

"It's as much a political task as anything," he said. "They're going to have to engage in a reconciliation process" between Sunni and Shiite groups, including the Shiite militias that are engaging in acts of intimidation and violence in the Baghdad area, he said.

He said he could not predict how long that process would take.

Asked what the reconciliation process will entail, he said it would boil down to the Iraqis convincing as many people as possible to support the new government. "Anyone that doesn't want to, they're going to have to go find and do something about - that's what I mean," he said.

"We're at a point now where the security situation depends as much on the reconciliation process" and the strengthening of government ministries, including the justice system, he said. "Success in those areas will determine the success from a security standpoint. They have a big job."

Rumsfeld emphasized he was not planning to discuss plans for reducing U.S. troop levels during this visit - a subject he said appears to be a "consuming interest" of the American news media. "I regret to say that until they (the Iraqis) undertake a comprehensive review of their circumstance" and Casey discusses with them the pace at which they can take on additional security responsibilities, it will not be possible to decide on U.S. troops levels for the remainder of 2006, he said.

Sound Off...What do you think? Join the discussion.

Copyright 2006 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

LoungeMachine
07-12-2006, 11:23 PM
good.

Let's race to see who can close Savicki's links first.

LMAO

BigBadBrian
07-13-2006, 05:48 AM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh
STEVE, THIS IS THE LAST ARTICLE I WILL CUT AND PASTE FOR YOU. ALL FUTURE ENTRIES WILL BE DUMPED UNLESS THE LINK IS ACCOMPANIED BY THE TEXT OF THE ARTICLE. I DON'T EVEN CARE IF IT'S A LINK TO BREAKING NEWS OF KARL ROVE BEING SHOT WHILE HUNTING BY DICK CHENEY. THANK YOU FOR YOUR COOPERATION IN THIS MATTER.

Good Policy. Others continue to do this also. It's rather irritating and just plain laziness on the part of the thread starter.

Hardrock69
07-13-2006, 12:20 PM
WHere is an Iraqi suicide bomber when you need him?

Too bad Rummy wasn't shot by a stray bullet....

4moreyears
07-13-2006, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by Hardrock69
WHere is an Iraqi suicide bomber when you need him?

Too bad Savicki wasn't shot by a stray bullet....

I know!!!

frets5150
07-14-2006, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh

Thankyou this shit is getting Annoying.How much time it take to CUT AND PASTE ?

:gulp: