PDA

View Full Version : Roethlisberger was "moments from death"

fryingdutchman
07-13-2006, 05:23 AM
Roethlisberger Told He Was Close to Dying
By Associated Press
5 hours ago

BRISTOL, Conn. - Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger said Wednesday night that he was told he was "seconds, maybe a minute away from dying" immediately after his motorcycle accident last month.

Roethlisberger, in his first interview since the June 12 accident, told ESPN's "SportsCenter" that he doesn't remember much about the accident when he rammed his motorcycle into a car that was making a left turn in front of him on a Pittsburgh street. He did, however, remember what he was told by people at the scene.

"They told me that I was literally seconds, maybe a minute away from dying because I slit a vein or artery in my mouth or my throat and it was draining blood right into my stomach and luckily the paramedic noticed it and stopped it or else I would have had too much blood in my stomach," he said in Los Angeles where he was for the taping of the ESPY Awards.

"I remember very few things about the accident," Roethlisberger said. "I remember one car turning in front of me, I don't remember the car that hit me, but I remember that first car turning in front of me and the next thing I remember is being in the ambulance and asking, 'Is this really happening?'

"I said, 'Tell me this is just a bad dream,' and he said, 'No, everything is going to be OK,' and he asked me, 'Is there anyone you want me to call?' ... I just gave him two numbers and I don't remember anything until I woke up from surgery."

Roethlisberger underwent seven hours of surgery to repair a broken jaw and other facial bones. Tests showed no brain injuries, although he had a mild concussion. He also lost two teeth and chipped several others.

Roethlisberger was cited for not wearing a helmet when the accident happened.

"That day I wasn't, I forgot it. I literally forgot it," he said. "You know there are times that, people that have been making a big deal for the last couple years about me riding first of all, and then me riding without a helmet, but it's one of those things that I ride with a helmet also. I do a little bit of both. If you don't wear a seat belt every time you ride in the car should I label you as a person who doesn't wear a seat belt? And unfortunately I happened to not have it on that day because I forgot it in the basement."

Roethlisberger said he didn't know if he would ride a motorcycle again.

"I don't know. I am not even thinking about that right now," he said. "To me, right now, like I said when I first started thinking about things, I started thinking about my family. Now that I am doing better and I feel good, now all I am thinking about is football and that is what is on my mind right now. I am getting healthy and I am getting better every day so all I am thinking about is football. I am not thinking about anything else."

Roethlisberger is scheduled to play in a celebrity golf tournament this weekend in Lake Tahoe, Nev.

Including the postseason, the Steelers are 27-4 with Roethlisberger at quarterback. They advanced to the AFC championship game in both his seasons as a starter, winning the Super Bowl in January.

The Steelers won the ESPY for best team and Roethlisberger joined his teammates and coach Bill Cowher onstage to accept the award. It was his first public appearance since the accident.

Roethlisberger didn't appear backstage to talk to reporters.

"I have no concerns about Ben," Cowher said backstage. "He's going to have to get hit a couple times to see if he's all the way back. Hopefully, he can be a great inspiration to a lot of people about looking at life a little more cautiously."

Hopefully, he can be a great inspiration to a lot of people about looking at life a little more cautiously.

Gee...do ya think so, Bill?? That would be nice...but probably not.

Too many douchebags on motorcycles think they're entitled to special privledges and that the whole world should be on the lookout for them.

Like riding up the center line or the shoulder to get through traffic jams, etc....

Before you bikers out there jump on my shit...I'm not talking about ALL of you. But there are quite a few bad apples that spoil your bunch.

Roethlisberger is one lucky motherfucker who, unfortunately, probably won't learn from this experience.

Switch84
07-14-2006, 01:06 AM
I guess it's hard for one to remember being a dumbass when they do it on a consistent basis...

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j110/UrlsGrrl54/DrunkBenRoethlisberger.jpg

Va Beach VH Fan
07-14-2006, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by Switch84
I guess it's hard for one to remember being a dumbass when they do it on a consistent basis...

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j110/UrlsGrrl54/DrunkBenRoethlisberger.jpg

He sure didn't look like a dumbass when they dominated the Bears last year....

But I'm sure that was just a fluke....

Mr. Vengeance
07-14-2006, 09:33 PM
Yeah, yeah...big fucking deal....

I'm moments from death everytime I have to endure Fatass Andy Reid fucking up on his "game plan", and watching our "quality" WR not be able to catch shit!!!

Then I have to recover in time to watch our tiny RB NOT get the ball on 4th and inches...

THAT'S CLOSE TO DEATH FUCKERS!!!!!!!

Va Beach VH Fan
07-14-2006, 10:21 PM
Ya know, you have a point there.... ;)

ALinChainz
07-15-2006, 01:46 AM
Everyone wants him to step up and be some poster child now for helmets.

He has said he won't do ads for it and I don't blame him. How many years is going to have to talk about it.

Its over, and done, its his life, and lets move on.

Va Beach VH Fan
07-15-2006, 10:29 AM
I'm just absolutely amazed how "clean" he looks....

Outside of the bloodshot eye, a couple of small scars, and some small puffing, NOTHING !!!!

He's eating solid food as well...

He does say that he spits up a little blood every now and then, that's can't taste very well...

POJO_Risin
07-15-2006, 01:04 PM
His nose looks fucked up too...

but yeah...pretty amazing that 7 hours of surgery didn't produce more...

wonder what that gash looks like on the back of his head...

Switch84
07-15-2006, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
He sure didn't look like a dumbass when they dominated the Bears last year....

But I'm sure that was just a fluke....

:rolleyes: That's the best you can come up with, Beach Baby? Pulling one game out of your ass in a feeble attempt to compensate for your boy breaking the law and almost getting his dumb ass killed?

I'll take losing a GAME over almost losing a LIFE anyday...

Va Beach VH Fan
07-15-2006, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by Switch84
:rolleyes: That's the best you can come up with, Beach Baby? Pulling one game out of your ass in a feeble attempt to compensate for your boy breaking the law and almost getting his dumb ass killed?

I'll take losing a GAME over almost losing a LIFE anyday...

Well, I certainly concur with your last statement...

But no, I can come up with much more than that, it's not needed for such a one-sided arguement, but thanks for the concern.... ;)

And let's be clear, no one should confuse the ass kicking that the Steelers putting on the Bears as pulling it out of their ass....

Don't know where the "dumb" perception is coming from, unless it's solely from you...

The run that his team made, led by him, starting with the Chicago game by the way, is certainly unprecedented in NFL history....

One might say to see the definition of dumb pro QB's, go to Chicago.... ;) Since, oh I don't know, McMahon ???

Did he make use bad judgement ?? Absolutely, in my opinion, not only to his team, but also to his family and himself...

Did he break the law ?? Yes, I concur with that, but only to the point that his permit expired a couple of months prior and hadn't renewed it...

Admit it, you know plenty of people that let their license, plate registrations, or inspections expire all the time....

But the act of riding a motorcycle without a helmet, albeit arguably foolish to many, including me, is not illegal in the state of PA....

Switch84
07-15-2006, 04:24 PM
:D You still missed the point, VH and you're STILL relying on a GAME to compensate! This thread isn't about his game choices...it's about his life choices. Ben was warned repeatedly (and in writing at one point) about his reckless DUMB ASS motorcycle riding habits! Dan Patrick even replayed a Ben quote displaying his DUMB ASSNESS...he defiantly said he'll continue to ride however he wants to, that I 'know what I'm doing and can handle myself'! Btw, operating a motorcycle without a license is illegal and that is what I was referring to. I have friends in Pennsylvania and I know they don't have helmet laws. That may soon change due to Ben's accident.

When my Bears do life-threatening stupid shit, I call it like it is, not excuse it because they've got game, baby!

Gotta love your diehard dedication, though buwhahahahahahaa!!!

Stealers LOVE, VH-style! ;)

Va Beach VH Fan
07-15-2006, 07:05 PM
I don't know what interview Patrick played, everything I've read (remember, diehard dedication) says that IF he ever rode again, he would definitely wear a helmet...

I do agree though, I bet the law is changed as well...

So am I to assume that you think anyone who rides a motorcycle without a helmet is dumb ??

I just want to understand where you stand... ;)

POJO_Risin
07-16-2006, 07:14 PM
The law won't change...even though it should...

Roeth was a fucking idiot...and has come out of these interviews sounding like...well...an idiot...

but hey...you find me a 24 year old that doesn't sound like a fucking defiant fuck...life in hand or not...

and I'll show you a boy in a bubble...

who gives a fuck...

POJO_Risin
07-16-2006, 07:17 PM
Switch must be referring to the Sportscenter interview...

he also did an interview on Rome is Burning...

in both, he really was acting like an ass...

who cares...

he lives...he dies...it's his fucking life...

if he didn't learn...that's his lesson. There are more important things in life than the fucking QB of my favorite fucking football team. Fuck that...