PDA

View Full Version : Something to think about...

Ellyllions
07-15-2006, 09:01 AM
Ok, let's say that we start taking the idea of the entire world enjoying a democratic government. Let's say that we put serious effort into solving hunger and bringing all 3rd world civilizations to their feet and leveling out the playing field. The whole world being involved in radically changing the way the world is now, all the changes all the help, everything.

What will happen?

Would the dominant societies like the US, China, the whole of Europe suffer in the transition? ABSOLUTELY! In effect as the economies of the 2nd and 3rd worlds begin to rise, it would mean the economies of the wealthy would have to decrease or even stop to allow the others to catch up. Leaving a balance below what the dominant societies are used to.

Does anyone honestly think that the US, China, or the whole of Europe would want to sacrifice any of their luxuries to level the playing field? I don't. An honest level playing field around the globe would cause so much competition that the dominant ones would no longer be "dominant".

I don't believe any of the G8 folks really want peace in the Middle East, peace in Africa, hunger and AIDS eradicated in Africa...etc.

The rich doesn't like giving up money.

Where am I wrong with this?

DEMON CUNT
07-15-2006, 11:57 AM
Interesting.

I believe that it's our duty to make the world a better place. (The core of Christ's teachings, oddly enough.)

Imagine if we had spent the Iraq invasion budget on food, vaccinations and cancer research.

The cultural differences would make democracy difficult in many parts of the world.

Democracy does not lead to an economic level playing field. Especially when there exists a large neocon contingent that insists on supporting a greedy murderous agenda.

Thank you for the thought provoking post!

FORD
07-15-2006, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by Ellyllions
Ok, let's say that we start taking the idea of the entire world enjoying a democratic government. Let's say that we put serious effort into solving hunger and bringing all 3rd world civilizations to their feet and leveling out the playing field. The whole world being involved in radically changing the way the world is now, all the changes all the help, everything.

What will happen?

Would the dominant societies like the US, China, the whole of Europe suffer in the transition? ABSOLUTELY! In effect as the economies of the 2nd and 3rd worlds begin to rise, it would mean the economies of the wealthy would have to decrease or even stop to allow the others to catch up. Leaving a balance below what the dominant societies are used to.

Does anyone honestly think that the US, China, or the whole of Europe would want to sacrifice any of their luxuries to level the playing field? I don't. An honest level playing field around the globe would cause so much competition that the dominant ones would no longer be "dominant".

I don't believe any of the G8 folks really want peace in the Middle East, peace in Africa, hunger and AIDS eradicated in Africa...etc.

The rich doesn't like giving up money.

Where am I wrong with this?

You're not wrong at all. This was the "promise" of NAFTA in a nutshell, and we have all seen the actual results.

The purpose was never to raise the standard of living for the "Third World", but to lower the standard of living in the United States, and destroy the middle class. And between the outsourcing of all decent paying jobs, and the economic rape tied to the fraudulent gas prices, that is exactly what is happening. Wages have NOT kept up with inflation (or raping and pillaging, more accurately) this decade. So while your gas cost has tripled, and your food and energy bills have doubled, and your health care has quadrupled all in the last 6 years, while you haven't gotten a raise, guess what that means?

They're STEALING money from you. They're cutting your wages.

And yet there are misinformed people out there who still bitch about UNIONS. Reality is that we better do all we can to strengthen and preserve unions, before they disappear and we're back in the robber baron era of the late 19th century again, with the average person working a 18 hour day just to pay the bills and put food on the table.

And if you don't think it can happen here......take a good look around. It already is.

Cathedral
07-15-2006, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by FORD
You're not wrong at all. This was the "promise" of NAFTA in a nutshell, and we have all seen the actual results.

The purpose was never to raise the standard of living for the "Third World", but to lower the standard of living in the United States, and destroy the middle class. And between the outsourcing of all decent paying jobs, and the economic rape tied to the fraudulent gas prices, that is exactly what is happening. Wages have NOT kept up with inflation (or raping and pillaging, more accurately) this decade. So while your gas cost has tripled, and your food and energy bills have doubled, and your health care has quadrupled all in the last 6 years, while you haven't gotten a raise, guess what that means?

They're STEALING money from you. They're cutting your wages.

And yet there are misinformed people out there who still bitch about UNIONS. Reality is that we better do all we can to strengthen and preserve unions, before they disappear and we're back in the robber baron era of the late 19th century again, with the average person working a 18 hour day just to pay the bills and put food on the table.

And if you don't think it can happen here......take a good look around. It already is.

I find absolutely nothing in this post to disagree with, nothing at all.

The minimum wage increase was voted down, again, but who did they vote to give a raise to?

You know tha answer, and they stuck it to the people again.

How any of you support either party is amazing to me.
if we are going to clean house that means everyone has to step up to the plate and be willing to leave their lunatic fringe behind.

We are simply running out of time to fix things, and it's getting later and later in the game.

Ellyllions
07-16-2006, 10:18 AM
Thanks for the responses, ya'll...(letting my southern heritage out to play).

I really believe this is yet another way for world leaders to appear considerate to the needs of the people. And you know how I feel about NAFTA...

thome
07-16-2006, 10:53 AM
Some of you, just like movies where it all happens ,a whole lifetime of change in 1hr and 53min.Seen to have been conditioned,to want,
need and desire things to meet with your appoval and comply
with the suggestions set forth to be.. over... done and perfectly
happy in 1hr and 53min.

Lighten up ,sit back, the time it took us to get this far is now.

just think how long it will take us to get ,there....

The famous Mission acomplished sign placed here^

Yep that part of the mission was acomplished now onto the next part.

Rememmber it took maybe 3000 years from the time of organized
medicine (without voodoo overtones) for scientists
to invent pennicillin .

There seem to be great voids of ignorance in between great convertion in change for the betterment of society,

knuckleboner
07-17-2006, 01:09 PM
according to straight economic theory, the richer nations wouldn't have to sacrifice anything, other than their percentage share of the total global market. but as long as the total global economy increases, a smaller piece of a bigger pie is still fine.

bringing up other countries means a much greater demand for all things. yes, some of those countries will compete with the established economies, but they will also become consumers.

there is no inherent reason why the U.S. couldn't sustain a 3-5% annual GDP growth while china, india, africa, etc. experience much higher growths.

so, do the established world leaders really want peace and prosperity for the entire globe? i can't answer that one.

but economically, would that damage the G-8? no, it shouldn't.

in fact, china has been outpacing the U.S. in economic growth for a little while now.