PDA

View Full Version : What is Ozzy's worst album?

Little Texan
07-17-2006, 01:07 AM
I think "Down To Earth" was his worst solo album by a large margin. I've listened to it numerous times trying to like it, but it's just a mediocre at best album.

Panamark
07-17-2006, 02:11 AM
His last album.

Whatever the fuck it was...

Shaun Ponsonby
07-17-2006, 06:31 AM
"Down To Earth" sucked balls.

Its all been downhill since "Blizzard".

Mr Badguy
07-17-2006, 06:46 AM
The last four are all contenders.

I`ve gone for "Ozzmosis".

Once you get past the standout(!) "Perry Mason" there really is fuck all worth hearing.

Ozzy post-Jake E Lee has been selling albums by name value rather than any musical merits (apart from the killer song "No more tears").

Wawazat
07-17-2006, 07:00 AM
Down to Earth

"dreamer" yukk

Matt White
07-17-2006, 07:07 AM
HA!!!

Yup.....

NO RANDY? NO DICE!!!

Soul Reaper
07-17-2006, 07:10 AM
Originally posted by Shaun Ponsonby
"Down To Earth" sucked balls.

Its all been downhill since "Blizzard".

I would have said it's gone downhill since "Diary"....

I liked the Jake E. Lee albums though....

Down to Earth is the one with Dreamer on, so I'll vote DtE....

Shaun Ponsonby
07-17-2006, 07:33 AM
I just think "Blizzard" is the best thing he's done. To me, "Diary..." always sounded like the songs that didn't make it on "Blizzard"

Soul Reaper
07-17-2006, 07:46 AM
'Tribute' is like the best bits from each album "Diary" and "Blizzard"....and making them better.....I prefer the live album to the studio albums....

so I would say Ozzy's music has gone downhill after Randy Rhoads.....

Vinnie Velvet
07-17-2006, 09:03 AM
In an old Randy interview, he admitted that Diary was rushed so that the band can get back out on tour.

He said some of the solos were not finished and some parts.

The_KiD
07-17-2006, 09:16 AM
The one that was just released is certainly horrible.. I believe it is all covers.. Down to Earth is plenty bad as well..

KiD

Coyote
07-17-2006, 10:24 AM
"Down To Earth"

Half-ass metal riffs written by "pro-songwriters" don't make a good record, Sharon...

binnie
07-17-2006, 10:29 AM
Except for "Dreamer", I don't think Down to Earth was awful, it was just mediocre like the rest of the Zakk albums he's done, although most of the stuff was written by Joe Holmes.

For me the worst record is Ozzmosis - Perry Mason and I just want you aside, teriible record, truly awful.

just sounds like an experiment gon wrong to me...

I actually thought "Get's me Through" was a pretty good sond on Down to Earth.....

bueno bob
07-17-2006, 10:37 AM
I can tolerate (and even enjoy) everything from 81 to 88, with the exception of Ultimate Sin...

The worst album is a tossup between his obvious ploy for radio/MTV success (No More Tears) and the last album, Down to Earth.

Pieces of shit both...just because they're "heavy" doesn't excuse piss-poor songwriting from the "Ozzy Hit Machine Team"...

binnie
07-17-2006, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by bueno bob

Pieces of shit both...just because they're "heavy" doesn't excuse piss-poor songwriting from the "Ozzy Hit Machine Team"...

Everyone together now

"mama, mama I'm comin hoooommmmeee"

bueno bob
07-17-2006, 11:46 AM
Barf...

BruinJer
07-17-2006, 12:13 PM
I voted for "Down To Earth". Total crap!

I'm surprised some of you picked Ozzmosis... I think it's a good album.

redfire
07-17-2006, 12:56 PM
Down to Earth was awful. Period. So, I choose to rip an 80's piece of shit called the Ultimate Sin. That album is trash.

Little Texan
07-17-2006, 04:26 PM
I thought "No More Tears" was one of his better efforts, honestly. Sure it has the ballad "Mama I'm Coming Home", but has some really good hard songs on it, particularly "Mr. Tinkertrain (love that opening riff) and S.I.N. Surprised alot of ya'll don't like it...there's alot of Zakk haters here!

Mr Badguy
07-17-2006, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by Little Texan
I thought "No More Tears" was one of his better efforts, honestly. Sure it has the ballad "Mama I'm Coming Home", but has some really good hard songs on it, particularly "Mr. Tinkertrain (love that opening riff) and S.I.N. Surprised alot of ya'll don't like it...there's alot of Zakk haters here!

A lot of "No more tears" just sounds like Ozzy parodying himself.

The sound is horribly over produced and Zakk Wylde lacks the know-how of when not to over play, it`s as if someone gave him a bunch of Randy Rhoads licks and told him to burn away with them and throw in as many pinch harmonics as he can, yuck.

It isn`t Ozzy`s best album or his worst.

I don`t mind around half of it, but I can`t stand the other half.

indeedido
07-17-2006, 05:32 PM
Don't forget "Under Cover". That is a shitty, shitty album. Didn't even have Zakk on it, very very generic covers.

matt19
07-21-2006, 08:14 AM
anything post randy is worst no ?

bueno bob
07-22-2006, 02:34 AM
Ozzy's Career:

1970-1989

"The Clone Years"

1990-???

Mr. Vengeance
07-22-2006, 09:50 AM
I liked Down to Earth and the song Dreamer, but I've always liked Ozzy's ballads. The one album I cannot listen to very often is No Rest For The Wicked. Boring is being kind. It has virtually nothing on it that I can get into. A pretty bad album to follow up what was considered a "whimpy" effort in Ultimate Sin. To me, Ultimate Sin got a lot of crap because of the fucking awful videos, and Ozzy falling into the whole "glam" wardrobe of the mid-kate 80's.

ALMOSTsaved
07-22-2006, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by Mr. Vengeance
The one album I cannot listen to very often is No Rest For The Wicked. Boring is being kind. It has virtually nothing on it that I can get into. A pretty bad album to follow up what was considered a "whimpy" effort in Ultimate Sin.

I totally agree. I bought it back in the day when it first came out. I actually returned it. At least back then they would still give refunds on shit albums.

Little Texan
07-22-2006, 11:41 AM
I liked some stuff on "No Rest For The Wicked", but I agree, it is kind of a boring, uninspired album for the most part. The best tracks are "Miracle Man", "Crazy Babies", "Fire In The Sky", and the unlisted track at the end of the album is awesome...I've seen it listed on the remaster as "Hero". Great song!

bueno bob
07-22-2006, 11:48 AM
I don't know where the dislike for No Rest for the Wicked comes from, personally...I found it a really strong album save for maybe one or two songs (but that had been basically the case with me on all Ozzy's stuff prior, anyway...short of Ultimate Sin which was the Ultimate Bomb, IMO)...

Breaking All the Rules, Miracle Man, Tattooed Dancer...Bloodbath in Paradise...Devil's Daughter...I loved the whole damn thing...

Still think it's infinitely better than any of the radio friendly commercialized bullshit he's released since then...

Different strokes, I guess...

Little Texan
07-24-2006, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by bueno bob
I can tolerate (and even enjoy) everything from 81 to 88, with the exception of Ultimate Sin...

Originally posted by redfireDown to Earth was awful. Period. So, I choose to rip an 80's piece of shit called the Ultimate Sin. That album is trash.

Originally posted by bueno bob short of Ultimate Sin which was the Ultimate Bomb, IMO)...

Man, ya'll must be listening to a different album than I've been listening to, because Ultimate Sin is a really good album, imo! It's the only Ozzy album I'd never owned or listened to, until last week when I got it off of ebay. Judging by the comments I had read in here, I thought it was going to be an unlistenable piece of trash like Down To Earth, but I put in the cd player yesterday and listened to it the first time, and I was pleasantly surprised to say the least! Ya'll need to get the earwax cleaned out of your ears or get your hearing checked because that album rocks hard! The only song I didn't like on the first listen was Killer Of Giants, and that one has grown on me, and I like it now. There are a few songs that are otherwise good songs other than they suffer from a weak chorus, but the music and guitars are great on the whole album, awesome riffs throughout! Favorites include title track, Secret Loser, Lightning Strikes, Fool Like You, and Shot In The Dark. I guess that's why it's better to listen to something and judge for yourself rather than go on someone elses opinion of it. This may be Ozzy's most underrated album...I like it better than Bark At The Moon...it rocks harder!

Little Texan
07-24-2006, 03:39 PM
Double post

Mr. Vengeance
07-24-2006, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by Little Texan
Man, ya'll must be listening to a different album than I've been listening to, because Ultimate Sin is a really good album, imo! It's the only Ozzy album I'd never owned or listened to, until last week when I got it off of ebay. Judging by the comments I had read in here, I thought it was going to be an unlistenable piece of trash like Down To Earth, but I put in the cd player yesterday and listened to it the first time, and I was pleasantly surprised to say the least! Ya'll need to get the earwax cleaned out of your ears or get your hearing checked because that album rocks hard! The only song I didn't like on the first listen was Killer Of Giants, and that one has grown on me, and I like it now. There are a few songs that are otherwise good songs other than they suffer from a weak chorus, but the music and guitars are great on the whole album, awesome riffs throughout! Favorites include title track, Secret Loser, Lightning Strikes, Fool Like You, and Shot In The Dark. I guess that's why it's better to listen to something and judge for yourself rather than go on someone elses opinion of it. This may be Ozzy's most underrated album...I like it better than Bark At The Moon...it rocks harder!

Well..I liked it a lot. I just thought the whole image someone cooked up for him in those awful videos was terrible. I bought Ultimate at the same time as I bought KISS Asylum. And I played those two albums to death in my dorm room at University. My neighbours absolutely went crazy with those two albums playing all the time.

binnie
07-24-2006, 06:56 PM
No Rest For the Wicked wasn't a bad album, IMO.

Zakk's best performane with Ozzy, and some good tune, Miracle Man and Bloodbath in Paradise stand out.

For me, it was the last real Ozy album, before the hit team came in and the soul went out of the music.

There is only half a good record on No More Tears.

Ozzmosis is a two song record (Perry Mason and I just want you), the rest is utter dog shit, sounds like a random collection of songs or B sides, not an album

For me Down To Earth, Dreamer aside, was a far more consistent and coherent record than Ozzmosis or No More Tears - far from specatular, but quite a solid metal record.