PDA

View Full Version : Gonzales: Bush blocked eavesdropping probe

Hardrock69
07-18-2006, 03:58 PM
By MARK SHERMAN, Associated Press Writer 1 hour, 42 minutes ago

WASHINGTON - Attorney General Alberto Gonzales said Tuesday that
President Bush personally blocked Justice Department lawyers from pursuing an internal probe of the warrantless eavesdropping program that monitors Americans' international calls and e-mails when terrorism is suspected.

The department's Office of Professional Responsibility announced earlier this year it could not pursue an investigation into the role of Justice lawyers in crafting the program, under which the National Security Agency intercepts some telephone calls and e-mail without court approval.

At the time, the office said it could not obtain security clearance to examine the classified program.

Under sharp questioning from Senate Judiciary Committee chairman Arlen Specter, Gonzales said that Bush would not grant the access needed to allow the probe to move forward.

"It was highly classified, very important and many other lawyers had access. Why not OPR?" asked Specter, R-Pa.

"The president of the United States makes the decision," Gonzales told the committee hearing, during which he was strongly criticized on a range of national security issues by Specter and Vermont Sen. Patrick Leahy (news, bio, voting record), the panel's senior Democrat.

Last week, under a deal with Specter, Bush agreed conditionally to a court review of his antiterror eavesdropping operations.

When the program was disclosed in December, it outraged Democrats and civil libertarians who said Bush overstepped his authority.

Bush's 2001 directive authorized the National Security Agency to monitor — without court warrants — the international communications of people on U.S. soil when terrorism is suspected. The administration initially resisted efforts to write a new law, contending that no legal changes were needed. But after months of pressure, officials have grown more open to legislation.

Under the deal with Specter, the president agreed to support a bill that could submit the program to the secretive Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court for a constitutional review.

Last week, Gonzales said the bill gives Bush the option of submitting the NSA program to the intelligence court, rather than requiring the review.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060718/ap_on_go_ca_st_pe/eavesdropping_gonzales_5;_ylt=AjU3580vXkjw..cKxg3C sLvB4FkB;_ylu=X3oDMTBiMW04NW9mBHNlYwMlJVRPUCUl

Dr. Love
07-18-2006, 04:37 PM
Man, I just love shady things like this. The thing that amazes me time and again is the idea that Bush is above the law as well as his refusal to be at least somewhat transparent in what goes on.

Oh, and the fact that no one seems to get outraged enough to pressure him to stop.

We'll see what happens in November. Of course I see that 9/11 movie is coincidentally timed to come out in August.

diamondD
07-18-2006, 04:45 PM
Is Oliver Stone a Republican? That'd be unusual.

Dr. Love
07-18-2006, 04:50 PM
I dunno. The last thought was more an aside... not sure who is making it but the timing is suspiscious. The movie may not be political but I wouldn't doubt if the emotions it evokes are manipulated for political purposes.

Guitar Shark
07-18-2006, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by Dr. Love
Man, I just love shady things like this. The thing that amazes me time and again is the idea that Bush is above the law as well as his refusal to be at least somewhat transparent in what goes on.

Oh, and the fact that no one seems to get outraged enough to pressure him to stop.

Indeed... it's truly mind-blowing.

Nickdfresh
07-18-2006, 08:05 PM
Look at all of the BushEEP on this board!

stringfelowhawk
07-18-2006, 08:37 PM
That is obstruction of justice and is illegal for anyone including the president of the United States of America. That is an impeachable offense right by its fuckin self but it won't happen cause Congress is full of Pussy Politicians!

DEMON CUNT
07-18-2006, 08:44 PM
IMPEACH!

Nickdfresh
07-18-2006, 09:33 PM
Republicans have to wake the fuck up and realize their pResident is a fascist, insecure control freak...

ODShowtime
07-18-2006, 09:39 PM
Under sharp questioning from Senate Judiciary Committee chairman Arlen Specter, Gonzales said that Bush would not grant the access needed to allow the probe to move forward.

nice.... my man arlen :cool:

ODShowtime
07-18-2006, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by stringfelowhawk
That is obstruction of justice and is illegal for anyone including the president of the United States of America. That is an impeachable offense right by its fuckin self but it won't happen cause Congress is full of Pussy Politicians!

I was thinkin' that.

WTF?

stringfelowhawk
07-18-2006, 09:51 PM
What can I say? Contrary to this administration's own fantasy world of blanket litigation protection, none of them are above the law! Not even His Heinous himself.