PDA

View Full Version : Record Biz Crisis: Top 20 Misses 750G

DrMaddVibe
07-19-2006, 12:02 PM
The top 20 pop albums sold fewer than a total of 750,000 CDs last week.

You read that correctly. The actual total was 738,211. The number includes 220,000 copies of a greatest hits singles collection from all the labels, "Now That's What I Call Music! Vol. 22." Without “Now 22,” regular releases came in around 500,000 copies.

This is a crisis that no one acknowledges in the record business. But consider that recently dismissed Sony execs Donnie Ienner and Michelle Anthony were making $2 million a year, and that their income is typical of upper echelon management in any record company. If the half million CDs sold at full price — $15 — then they didn’t even pay for a small part of one salary.

Consider also the execs at radio conglomerates, who have tightened playlists so that few new records are played unless — as identified by New York State Attorney General Eliot Spitzer’s findings — stations receive free trips, gadgets and other gifts as inducements. You might wonder how any of the companies on either side can afford to stay in business.

Consider that last Tuesday, “Now 22” was not the only new release. Sony/Epic issued a new CD by writer-producer Butch Walker, a performer whom this column has extolled over and over. Not only did no one from the company bother to send it here, this reporter only learned about it by accident — yesterday.

Walker should have a following from his extensive touring — he produces and opens for Avril Lavigne. But he’s been ignored by his label and radio. What’s he supposed to do? The CD sold fewer than 15,535 copies — the minimum it would have taken to hit the top 50.

And here’s an amazing statistic: four songs from the new album have been played a total of 200,000 times on Walker’s MySpace page. I doubt this is the work of one person who clicked the links that many times. Some group of people is interested in Butch Walker. They’re just not a group that his label or radio stations are interested in, apparently.

If they were, there would be more of an investment in Walker’s career — and other countless talented artists like him — by the record companies. Instead, the record stores are empty, and customers are drifting toward other entertainment.

There isn’t a lot to look forward to right away in terms of new releases: Rapper DMX has a new album on Aug. 1, but his last one was three years ago. Rocker Tom Petty’s waited four years to put out his new CD, and the last one wasn’t exactly a bestseller, with fewer than 350,000 copies sold.

Yesterday’s crop of new releases has only one promising title, by Los Lonely Boys, whose previous album sold 2 million copies. All eyes will be on them to see if they can beat their last first week sales record: 4,000 copies. That shouldn’t be too hard. Or Music, a satellite label from Epic, sticks with their artists the way most labels do not.

This is the same business that wants to cry that they're broke! If they don't promote new talent (Butch is a protogé) then how in the hell are they going to push existing artists?!?!

Mr. Vengeance
07-19-2006, 12:43 PM
There's no shit worth listening to coming out anyway....

Stick with your classics, kiddie! Enjoy the great music made before.

Fuck, I sound like my dad.

WACF
07-19-2006, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Vengeance

Fuck, I sound like my dad.

Funny how that happens!

DrMaddVibe
07-19-2006, 02:56 PM
I AM MY DAD!

My dad always listens to music. Heavy Metal/Folk/Salsa/Reggae/Pop. My mom listens to Opera/Classical. There was always music going on in at least one room of our house growing up.

When I'm at home I have music going on too. Usually what I grew up on. My dad cut my teeth on Frank Zappa & The Mothers, The Doors, Uriah Heap, Canned Heat, Allman Bros., Yardbirds and Black Sabbath. He encouraged and would soundboard for various garage bands that I participated in. He never let up with discovering new bands. I remember being on vacation and going with him to see The Dead Pool. He wouldn't leave when the credits were rolling because he liked the song. It was "Welcome To The Jungle". We left the theatre only to bump into a CD Warehouse to see if they had the soundtrack. He kept saying that they were going to be big.

My son listens to his own music like Evanesence, Avril, Rammstein, The Exies, The Darkness and Kings of Leon. He'll stumble into our music room and ask if I can show him something on the bass like "Molly Chambers" and because of that I give it a listen and get into a new band. Last summer he wanted to go see Avril so guess who went with him...that's right! It was me. Butch Walker was the opening band and I was impressed with his energy and got to talk to him for about an hour after the show over beers. The guy is going to be somebody in the near future, be it behind the boards or on the stage.

Iron sharpens iron.

I AM MY DAD!

Roth on bitches!

Ellyllions
07-19-2006, 03:17 PM
I've got a 16 year old...and over the course of the passed 4 years or so I've been exposed to a whole host of "new" music.

From what talent I've acquired in helping youngster find the music that he likes...Record companies don't have money for promoting anything but Rap and R&B. It's been eVeRyWhErE. You can't get away from it.

Maybe when the Rap/Hip-Hop finally fizzles out we can all get back to Rock.

thome
07-19-2006, 03:42 PM
I heard a new trac from Audio Slaves new realease yesterday it
sounded good usually they release one that's just ok, then a couple weeks later, hit you with the realeas they really like .

Other than this.... local KC radio gives no info on anything. Like you said there is a corporate list and that's all your gonna hear the DJ is Dead.

Except for every stations morning gold mine.