PDA

View Full Version : Keith Richards to be pardoned

diamondD
07-20-2006, 09:30 AM
Keith to be pardoned (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,204409,00.html)

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. — The state of Arkansas is prepared to pardon Keith Richards for being a reckless driver, 31 years later.

The state Parole Board on July 3 approved an application for clemency submitted on behalf of Richards, guitarist for the Rolling Stones, by Gov. Mike Huckabee. Huckabee has until 30 days from Tuesday to sign it, clearing Richards' record.

Richards was arrested July 5, 1975, as he, bandmate Ron Wood, a security guard and a fan traveled from Memphis, Tenn., to Dallas. The group had stopped in Fordyce for lunch, then got back on the road with Richards driving.

A Fordyce officer saw the car swerve — Richards said later he bent to adjust the radio — and stopped the vehicle. Police said they smelled marijuana and took the four to City Hall.

Richards was charged with reckless driving and possession of a concealed knife, and the fan was charged with possession of a controlled substance. The knife charge was dropped, and Richards pleaded guilty to reckless driving and paid a $162.50 fine.

Fran Curtis, a Stones publicist, said she knew nothing about the application for clemency. Messages left for Richards' manager, Jane Rose, weren't returned.

Huckabee plays bass guitar in a band called Capitol Offense that performed for the Republican National Convention in 2004 in New York City.

The governor said he got the idea for a pardon when he realized that Richards' impression of Arkansas "was marred by a misdemeanor traffic stop."

During a Stones concert in Little Rock in March, Richards, 62, asked whether anyone in the audience was from Fordyce, adding, "I used to know the chief of police there."

LOL I have that newsclip on tape from the arrest and it's hilarious. Ron Wood is just muttering in disbelief. And I think I read somewhere that the cops didn't find his and Keith's stash or knew what it was.

Matt White
07-20-2006, 09:34 AM
HA!!!

KEEF....always the life of the party!!!

FORD
07-20-2006, 10:01 AM
Last time I saw Huckabee on TV (possibly the Daily Show?) he seemed like he was trying damn hard to buy himself a new "moderate Mr. Nice Guy" image. I wonder if this is part of his strategy for a rumored presidential run?

Anyway, cool of him to do it, and kudos to him for his successful weight loss, how ever he pulled that off.

But I still ain't voting for him ;)

EAT MY ASSHOLE
07-20-2006, 10:53 AM
And the wheels of justice turn...

Fijian Coconut Tree > Keith Richards > The Law > Bernard Kerik/Duke Cunningham

diamondD
07-20-2006, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by FORD
Last time I saw Huckabee on TV (possibly the Daily Show?) he seemed like he was trying damn hard to buy himself a new "moderate Mr. Nice Guy" image. I wonder if this is part of his strategy for a rumored presidential run?

Anyway, cool of him to do it, and kudos to him for his successful weight loss, how ever he pulled that off.

But I still ain't voting for him ;)

I doubt I would either and he is a heck of a nice guy in person. He was my pastor when I was younger and I still remember him coming to the house to try to get me to come back to Sunday School. But I also know some of the stuff he's pulled while in office and he won't get my vote to carry it to the national level.

He did his weight loss with diet first, and then started running after he got his body in a state where running wouldn't kill his legs.

I'll never forget Keith's comments that night here in LR. Most of the place got it and was cracking up. They were all having a good time since it was the next to last show of the US leg.