PDA

View Full Version : Jaco Pastorius

Tiki-Tom
07-21-2006, 02:30 AM
Being that i'm somewhat of a newbee around here.i would like to know what everyone thinks of the man who moved me to pick up the bass years ago and learn to play.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdY-KAmj5fU

MAPRamone
07-21-2006, 02:39 AM
Originally posted by Tiki-Tom
Being that i'm somewhat of a newbee around here.i would like to know what everyone thinks of the man who moved me to pick up the bass years ago and learn to play.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdY-KAmj5fU
The best PERIOD He was a monster who could do anything on the bass technically. He was a great improviser and a really underrated composer. He also completely changed the tone of the bass. If you hear a tune by him you can immediately tell it's him or at least someone trying to sound like him.

Tiki-Tom
07-21-2006, 03:06 AM
Originally posted by MAPRamone
The best PERIOD He was a monster who could do anything on the bass technically. He was a great improviser and a really underrated composer. He also completely changed the tone of the bass. If you hear a tune by him you can immediately tell it's him or at least someone trying to sound like him.

He was a monster for sure.Even in his downward spiral the man was amazing.an absolutely incredible musician.

RuzDNailz
07-21-2006, 04:00 AM
It's cool how he modded his own bass guitar. Shaving off the frets and moving the pick-ups further down the body. I listened to 'Teen Town' from the'Weather Report' and was blown away by his lightning fast playing. It's tragic how he did die, but he left a legacy and that's for sure. I do believe his children made a website dedicated to him. Here, check it out below...

http://www.jacopastorius.com/

DrMaddVibe
07-21-2006, 06:20 AM
God

nosuchluck
07-21-2006, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by DrMaddVibe
God

couldn't have said it better myself...

MAPRamone
07-21-2006, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by RuzDNailz
It's cool how he modded his own bass guitar. Shaving off the frets and moving the pick-ups further down the body. I listened to 'Teen Town' from the'Weather Report' and was blown away by his lightning fast playing. It's tragic how he did die, but he left a legacy and that's for sure. I do believe his children made a website dedicated to him. Here, check it out below...

I've visited that a few times before. I ofcourse knew of his worsening mental condition in his last few years and was under the impression that it lead to his death. Not until i read the article by his daughter did i know that he was MURDERED! And the fucker who did it got away with a slap on the wrist.:mad:

thome
07-21-2006, 12:38 PM
Had a friend of mine who was a jazz fusion nut .

Everthing was tech supreme with his gear, turntables and such, vinyl
slip covers on every album, cleaned each record ....anyway it took
him minuets to start another album.Each and every Play was a experience each and every doobie/sound/ performance of the turntable was why we were there.

This cat was all over Pastorius solo work and compilations
is was down with it allways, but it wasn't my Favorite sound, -the
fusion- i do have a absolute real love for it and remember
those notes like it was yesterday.

I was and am more rock but i was not a fusion collector.appreciator yes.

Rite On!

Motherpucker73
07-21-2006, 12:47 PM
Everyone is gonna piss and moan, but I can name at least 5 bass players that I prefer better than Jaco...he's a badass and all, but he does wank a bit.

lesfunk
07-21-2006, 01:08 PM
Jaco was the greatest ever. He changed everything. The was bass playing before Jaco, and the was bass playing after Jaco.
he also fused R&B, Jazz, and rock like no other.

lesfunk
07-21-2006, 01:11 PM
It's cool how he modded his own bass guitar. Shaving off the frets and moving the pick-ups further down the body.
he did not move his pickups at all.
He played a regular old Fender Jazz bass with the neck pickup turned down.
he pulled out the frets, filled the slots with wood putty, and coated the fingerboard with epoxy.

RuzDNailz
07-21-2006, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by lesfunk
he did not move his pickups at all.
He played a regular old Fender Jazz bass with the neck pickup turned down.
he pulled out the frets, filled the slots with wood putty, and coated the fingerboard with epoxy.

I heard a rumor that you can actually buy the 'Jaco Bass' from Fender that completely resembles the one he had without the frets. But I tried playing a fretless and it's totally different. I'm not that advanced, but I need to feel those to know where my fingers are on the board.

RuzDNailz
07-21-2006, 07:15 PM
I've visited that a few times before. I ofcourse knew of his worsening mental condition in his last few years and was under the impression that it lead to his death. Not until i read the article by his daughter did i know that he was MURDERED! And the fucker who did it got away with a slap on the wrist.:mad:

Plus that same fucker was COMPLETELY unremorseful for killing him. Bipolar disorder has become more aware these days in the mental health world and it was about time. He turned to alcoholism to supress his condition but it made it worse over time. He was supposed to do an instructional bass video to teach people some tricks, but his condition got the better of him. I would have bought that video in a heartbeat!

Tiki-Tom
07-21-2006, 08:01 PM
Modern Electric Bass may be the one you are referring to. I have an old copy somewhere. It came out around '85. He looked rough in it, kinda like a homeless man. Bassist Jerry Jemmott interviewed him and played some with him near the end of the video.

Tiki-Tom
07-21-2006, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by Motherpucker73
Everyone is gonna piss and moan, but I can name at least 5 bass players that I prefer better than Jaco...he's a badass and all, but he does wank a bit.

No pissin' and moanin' from this guy. Lots of bass players out there that are awesome, but Jaco's the one who made me go "wow!" If other bass players give you that feeling, then you know what I'm talking about :)

MAPRamone
07-22-2006, 02:13 AM
Bipolar disorder has become more aware these days in the mental health world and it was about time.
I know. It also runs in my family although luckily i haven't had any severly bad experiences with it myself or within the immediate family. I have taken antidepressants for a time and they definitely helped. I hope i never become manic. From the stories i've heard it seems to be that, while depression might be harder for the person suffering from bipolar disorder to withstand, a manic person is much harder for the loved ones to deal with.

RuzDNailz
07-22-2006, 02:49 AM
Originally posted by Tiki-Tom
Modern Electric Bass may be the one you are referring to. I have an old copy somewhere. It came out around '85. He looked rough in it, kinda like a homeless man. Bassist Jerry Jemmott interviewed him and played some with him near the end of the video.

Thanks TT! I'll see if I can locate a copy if possible. I was looking at pictures of Jaco Pastorius and noticed that many bass playing geniuses like him ALWAYS play their bass high up. It's funny when you compare them to a guitar-player-turned-bass-player because of the way they play bass. Other great bassists who are part of a rocking band have to keep up with the action by keeping the strap lower to blend in with the image.

Want a great example? How about this; John Entwistle from The Who had his bass under his chin and he played with lighting speed and precision. Flea from RHCP is a bass veteran but he normally has his bass hung low so he can do those stage antics. Chris Squire is a guitar player who picked up the bass and plays it like a regular guitar....but at least he pulls it off so well.

RuzDNailz
07-22-2006, 02:55 AM
I know. It also runs in my family although luckily i haven't had any severly bad experiences with it myself or within the immediate family. I have taken antidepressants for a time and they definitely helped. I hope i never become manic. From the stories i've heard it seems to be that, while depression might be harder for the person suffering from bipolar disorder to withstand, a manic person is much harder for the loved ones to deal with.

You would be surprised to learn how many famous people and athletes suffer from bipolar. I've met some people who are like that
and it is very sad. One minute you could be talking to them and have
a good conversation, and then the next minute they will be so depressed that they won't even look at you. But in Jaco's time they didn't have any medication for it.