PDA

View Full Version : Judge Orders Teen to Have Cancer Treatment

frets5150
07-22-2006, 02:36 PM
Judge Orders Teen to Have Cancer Treatment
By SONJA BARISIC, AP

NORFOLK, Virginia (July 22) - A judge ruled Friday that a 16-year-old boy fighting to use alternative treatment for his cancer must report to a hospital by Tuesday and accept treatment that doctors deem necessary, the family's attorney said.

The judge also found Starchild Abraham Cherrix's parents were neglectful for allowing him to pursue alternative treatment of a sugar-free, organic diet and herbal supplements supervised by a clinic in Mexico, lawyer John Stepanovich said.

Jay and Rose Cherrix of Chincoteague on Virginia's Eastern Shore must continue to share custody of their son with the Accomack County Department of Social Services, as the judge had previously ordered, Stepanovich said.

The parents were devastated by the new order and planned to appeal, the lawyer said.

Stepanovich said he will ask a higher court on Monday to stay enforcement of the order, which requires the parents to take Abraham to Children's Hospital of the King's Daughters in Norfolk and to give the oncologist their written legal consent to treat their son for Hodgkin's disease.

"I want to caution all parents of Virginia: Look out, because Social Services may be pounding on your door next when they disagree with the decision you've made about the health care of your child," Stepanovich said.

Phone calls to the Cherrix home went unanswered.

The lawyer declined to release the ruling, saying juvenile court Judge Jesse E. Demps has sealed much of the case.

Social Services officials have declined to comment, citing privacy laws. After three months of chemotherapy last year made him nauseated and weak, Abraham rejected doctors' recommendations to go through a second round when he learned early this year that his Hodgkin's disease, a cancer of the lymph nodes, was active again.

A social worker then asked a judge to require the teen to continue conventional treatment. In May, the judge issued a temporary order finding Abraham's parents neglectful and awarding partial custody to the county, with Abraham continuing to live at home with his four siblings.

07-22-06 02:01 EDT

:o

FORD
07-22-2006, 03:21 PM
This is fucking BULLSHIT. There is absolutely no way in Hell under the Constitution that a court can order you to poison your body with chemicals.

frets5150
07-22-2006, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by FORD
This is fucking BULLSHIT. There is absolutely no way in Hell under the Constitution that a court can order you to poison your body with chemicals.

Well I guess they just did.The Constitution is a Fuckin joke.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a83/FRETS5150/CHIMPIE-1.jpg

sadaist
07-22-2006, 05:12 PM
Should he do the Chemo? I say yes.

Should he be forced to? Not by the goverment.

FORD
07-22-2006, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by sadaist
Should he do the Chemo? I say yes.

Should he be forced to? Not by the goverment.

According to the story, he's already DONE the chemo, and the cancer came back anyway.

Logically then (and unfortunately I've had a lot of experience in this area lately, or should I say, 2 of my friends have) it's very possible the chemo will NOT work, and it's a wise choice to try other treatments. Especially ones that don't require making you sicker in order to "heal" you.

Cathedral
07-23-2006, 01:40 AM
Hmmmmm, this sets a dangerous precident.

You should have seen what i had to go through keeping a respirator and feeding tube out of my wife when she went into her first coma.

It was, "I'm gonna insert this", and i replied, "Like hell you are", and she raised her arms to do it and i started moving towards her to knock her ass out. THEN and only then did she ask, "Does she have an advanced directive?".
Every damn time i spoke against their procedures the doctor looked at me as if i was crazy, and i HAD to keep repeating myself to the same fucking people.
But it was clear to me what she wanted and it was notorized in writing as well.
i could just see a judge calling me her murderer, and they certainly wouldn't think twice about that.

Doctors and Judges are pretty damn high and mighty with themselves these days.
But i could care less about their ego's, not everyone wants that shit.
And in her case, it was far beyond anything 'saving' her life.

On the other hand, My mother's husband has been in the hospital for 3 1/2 weeks now, and he is asperating, has Staph and Cocci infections they can't kill, and he is slowly passing away.
He has no clue who anybody is, has a 104 temp, and he can't eat or drink.
Tomorrow, he gets a feeding tube by request.
They happen to believe that any and all options to keep them alive should be used, and they have that in their advanced directive's.

A Judge will end up pulling his plug since the bill is peaking over $100,000 at this point. 20% of which is NOT covered by insurance.

But i just absolutely cannot believe how family matters and decisions are being trampled on in this country right now.

It's pathetic.

Macu
07-24-2006, 07:46 AM
Revolution...UNTIL THE LAST DROP OF BLOOD!

MERRYKISSMASS2U
07-24-2006, 08:10 AM
Do you guys agree with that Michael Schaivo scumbag?

Jérôme Frenchise
07-24-2006, 08:12 AM
Damn... 16-year-olds catch cancer while old farts like Pinochet are still standing...
Welcome to a world of shit, sonny! :( :mad:

FORD
07-24-2006, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by MERRYKISSMASS2U
Do you guys agree with that Michael Schaivo scumbag?

For someone who lives in Florida, you sure don't follow the local news much.

Michael Schiavo was completely vindicated of everything the Busheep shitbags were saying about him when Terri's autopsy proved once and for all that not only was she completely BRAIN DEAD with a liquified cerebral cortex, as he and the doctors actually involved in the case had said all along, but that part of that brain deadness included total blindness, which would have absolutely made it impossible for her eyes to follow a shiny ballon, or "plead with her parents" or any other such bullshit story floated by FAUX Newa.

You want a scumbag? Try her brother Bobby Schindler Jr. The typical South Florida car salesman Republican con man, trying to use his sister's vegetable corpse for political and financial gain.

That's the motherfucker you'll find waiting in line for Hell.

Ally_Kat
07-24-2006, 02:06 PM
What do you guys expect? It involves a minor. Hell, when I told them I thought the crap they were telling me about my heart and how I was going to die (and it was all crap and i'm obviously still alive) was bull and that they weren't going to do open-heart on me and when my parents said it was crap and they weren't taking me to some teaching hospital to have me guinea pig-ed, the state here came down on us cuz I was only 14 and apparently being neglected.

FORD
07-24-2006, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by Ally_Kat
What do you guys expect? It involves a minor. Hell, when I told them I thought the crap they were telling me about my heart and how I was going to die (and it was all crap and i'm obviously still alive) was bull and that they weren't going to do open-heart on me and when my parents said it was crap and they weren't taking me to some teaching hospital to have me guinea pig-ed, the state here came down on us cuz I was only 14 and apparently being neglected.

Did the state actually FORCE you to have open heart surgery?

If so, I would say that was just as wrong. The state has no business interfering in a family decision. Personally, I think Jehova's Witnesses are idiots for not allowing blood transfusions. But should a court ORDER them to accept one?

I used to have some neighbors who belonged to a cultish church that didn't believe in doctors at all. I watched one of them die of a sinus infection which turned into pneumonia. He was in his early 70's at the time, but probably not on death's door otherwise. Another member of this family had breast cancer. Possibly fatal or possibly not, but she wouldn't do a thing about it.

Call it sad or stupid, or even insane, but isn't it the family's right to make that determination for themselves?

jcook11
07-24-2006, 11:06 PM
The state can SUCK A FLYS' COCK.....The good old stae of California was NOWHERE around when my wife almost died TWICE. But they were (And still do) have their nose up my ass after an incident that happened about a year and a half ago. FUCK "THE VILLAGE" AND ALL WHO RESIDE THERE

Ally_Kat
07-24-2006, 11:49 PM
Did the state actually FORCE you to have open heart surgery?

They tried to, but no, thank God. They did force my parents to take me to go to a hospital and have all these tests done, saying if they didn't, they would take me away. And I was protesting it because I didn't believe the hype the state was selling. Then the docs told me I'd die at the age of 30 and that I was lucky to have made it to 15. Then they didn't know why I was crying. AND THIS WAS AT A CHILDREN'S HOSPITAL! I'm lucky I didn't walk out needing therapy.

They tried their best to scare us into it, but we didn't have insurance (I have no clue who covered the tests) and the state wasn't going to pay for it. We said we were going to go get a second opinion. Mom got a new job with benefits and I got a cardiologist, so that got them to back off a litte. Still would "check in" until I turned 18. Then last summer when the chemo fucked up Dad's heart, he got this great cardiologist and now she's my new one. We were telling her about it, did a checkup, told me it wasn't there anymore. Looked at the paperwork from the tests and tells me I never needed any treatment in the first place; that what I had is so common and self-correctional and that cracking me open was more of a benefit for the hospital's teaching program than it was me.

I used to have some neighbors who belonged to a cultish church that didn't believe in doctors at all. I watched one of them die of a sinus infection which turned into pneumonia. He was in his early 70's at the time, but probably not on death's door otherwise. Another member of this family had breast cancer. Possibly fatal or possibly not, but she wouldn't do a thing about it.

Christian Scientists?

Call it sad or stupid, or even insane, but isn't it the family's right to make that determination for themselves?

It is. But like I said before, when it involves a minor, the states like to chim in and say neglect. If there is no such law, there needs to be one where at 14 or so, a person can contribute to their medical decisions. Yeah, it is a minor under 18 and the parents are responsible, but at that point, you know what you don't want.

Coyote
07-25-2006, 12:26 AM

I was gonna comment on that, but since I'm a foreigner ( :rolleyes: ), I won't.

You'd just hang me out to dry...

But I will say this:

Just how fucked up is the land of the "free"?