PDA

View Full Version : Jimmy Page & the Black Crowes

binnie
07-27-2006, 04:28 AM
Anyone else heard the Jimmy Page & The Black Crowes "Live at the Greek" record?

It was released in 1999, basically they do loads of Zep covers, not all the obvious ones (they don't do Black Dog or Stairway) as well as old blues tunes.

I picked it up yesterday, didn't even know it was available over here.

fuckin incredible record - a real meeting of minds over swamp blues!

The Black Crowes rock here asses off here, and Chris Robinson adds real flavour to the vocals. I had forgotten just how powerful his voice is - he sings some of this stuff better than the recordings I've heard of Plant live (before you give me an ass whooping, I think Plant is the ultimte rock vocalist, but he was a little hit and miss live after '71).

I thoroughly recommend it - stand out trakc is "In My Time of Dyin'"

Mr Badguy
07-27-2006, 07:00 AM
Yeah, I got it when it came out.

Like "No quarter un-led-ed", I thought it was amazing at first but you do find yourself going back to your Zeppelin albums after a while and it gathers dust on your CD rack.

It is good to hear some of those songs with three guitars although they largely played the usual live Zeppelin tunes.

He should have played "Achilles last stand" or "In the light" or some other raities that would have benefitted from the larger group.

binnie
07-27-2006, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by Mr Badguy
Yeah, I got it when it came out.

Like "No quarter un-led-ed", I thought it was amazing at first but you do find yourself going back to your Zeppelin albums after a while and it gathers dust on your CD rack.

It is good to hear some of those songs with three guitars although they largely played the usual live Zeppelin tunes.

He should have played "Achilles last stand" or "In the light" or some other raities that would have benefitted from the larger group.

Oh, I'm not saying I prefer it to the originals, it was just way more kick ass than I thought it'd be.

i'm also surprosed they didn't play some of the more epic material - but I suppose they were wanting to play the real rockin blues stuff as that is what the Black Crowes did.

There are plenty of unusal Zep choices on there tho'....

Loons The Great
07-29-2006, 05:22 PM
Ize got a bootleg from the Jimmy Page And The Mighty Black Crowes libe in Sweet Home Chicago...it is stellar!!

Matt White
07-30-2006, 10:14 PM
Pretty good...agree with Mr Badguy though....really made me dig back into PHYSICAL GRAFFITI

ODShowtime
08-02-2006, 07:35 AM
Originally posted by Mr Badguy

They played In the Light when they toured the States in 2000 and it was incredible. Hots on For Nowhere was badass too. And Sick Again, and Bring it on Home, and Whole Lotta Love-> Out on the Tiles...

binnie
08-02-2006, 09:10 AM
I wish I'd been able to see 'em, would have been fantastic!

VAN HLN CA
08-02-2006, 07:12 PM
Saw them at the Greek w/o Page in 92 and just saw yesterday they are playing Key Club Morongo in Oct. where dave played a week back and NIN 3 months ago.

Must have been out of town because this is news to me they colloborated-love to hear it!

Pete Angelus still driving the Crowes?

Loons The Great
08-02-2006, 08:23 PM
The Wanton Song
Celebration Day
Misty Mountain Hop
Custard Pie
No Speak No Slave
Sick Again
What Is And What Should Never Be
Wiser Time
Woke Up This Morning(B.B.King)
Ten Years Gone
In My Time Of Dying
Your Time Is Gonna Come
Remedy
The Lemon Song
In The Light
Shape Of Things(The Yardbirds)
Nobody's Fault But Mine
Heartbreaker
Bring It On Home(Sonny Boy Williamson II)
She Talks To Angels
Out On The Tiles
Whole Lotta Love

VAN HLN CA
08-03-2006, 01:41 AM
good shit!

binnie
08-03-2006, 04:03 AM
Damn, I would've killed to see one of these shows...

Hardrock69
08-03-2006, 12:07 PM
I have a DVD of their performance at The Greek.

Unfortunately toward the end the audio and video are out of synch, so I someday I am going to have to do surgery and fix it.