PDA

View Full Version : Wow....Clear Channel really is to blame for destroying Rock and roll.

Unchainme
07-28-2006, 08:50 PM
Okay I'm starting to get obsessed with this type of stuff for some reason, Cleveland was the first city to rebel against the normal radio format, when instead of playing Pat Boone and artists like that, He played Chuck Berry and Jerry Lee Lewis. This was on a station called WJW (Which is now auctually a TV news station.)

And then I researched WMMS the local Rock Station which has gone down hill as of late sticking to a corporate Nu Metal acts, thanks in part to it being taken over by Clear Channel. But I looked backed and according to Wikipedia, Back in the 70's truly carried on in the Spirit of Alan Freed, They Broke in artists like Rush, David Bowie, John Cougar Mellancamp. It is said that Bruce Springsteen sold out every concert in cleveland thanks to WMMS DJ's discovering him and putting him on the air, They said even before Born To Run was released he was still selling out records.

It is amazing to see what has happened to the station now that is has been bought by Clear Channel. I've never heard ONCE how an artist has become popular because a DJ played their record on the air. The Station has turned into a Nu Metal station playing the same shit every other station is playing, Apparently appealing to Goth Mall Core Kids is more important than auctually playing good music.

It's pretty sickening to think that the Midwest was a Huge reason why many bands such as KISS got huge, Now if such a band were to ever come out, they would NEVER get played on Rock Radio or would Never get signed to a label.

Anyone else sick of this shit as well?

Unchainme
07-28-2006, 09:51 PM
MTV is just as guilty of this, They're having their 25th aniversy coming up, I bet money they don't show one old Video, Fuck, even just A video to commemrate the occasion.

guwapo_rocker
07-28-2006, 09:52 PM
There was or, still is a station in Windsor, Ontario that was

huge in that regard. They were huge in Detroit and other cities

in the area. A female Dj (I'm to drunk to look it up) was very

instrumental in breaking bands like KISS big time. I believe

BETH became the hit it was because her daughter loved the song,

so she added it to the regular rotation.

I believed they were turfed recently in the name of corporate radio.

Unchainme
07-28-2006, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by guwapo_rocker
There was or, still is a station in Windsor, Ontario that was

huge in that regard. They were huge in Detroit and other cities

in the area. A female Dj (I'm to drunk to look it up) was very

instrumental in breaking bands like KISS big time. I believe

BETH became the hit it was because her daughter loved the song,

so she added it to the regular rotation.

The whole Region From Iowa To Pennslyvania to Canada as well has a lot to do with giving bands their big breaks. KISS has said that This region seemed to appreciate the fact they worked their asses off for the show, This is why KISS recorded Alive! in Detroit and Cleveland, because they know those shows would be sold out and provide the perfect atmosphere.

Soul Reaper
07-29-2006, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by Unchainme
MTV is just as guilty of this, They're having their 25th aniversy coming up, I bet money they don't show one old Video, Fuck, even just A video to commemrate the occasion.

on the advert it says 'before MTV, TV was boring'.....

ok, when it started it was good, as it was about music and so had a purpose....so explain the shit they have now then....

more like eMpTV than MTV....

the 'celebration' is being presented by the Osbournes.....what credibility :rolleyes: .....a cunt, a drugged up moron and a fat talentless pig....

Va Beach VH Fan
07-29-2006, 09:45 AM
I used to listen to WMMS when I could get the signal when I still lived in PA.... They fukkin' rocked....

Much like WDVE in the 'Burgh....

EbDawson
07-29-2006, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by Soul Reaper

The 'celebration' is being presented by the Osbournes.....what credibility :rolleyes: .....a cunt, a drugged up moron and a fat talentless pig....

:lol:

BTW, that's a Bad Ass avatar!

"I'm here with your old friend Angel Eyes"

MAPRamone
07-29-2006, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by EbDawson

Lee Van Cleef! Yeah, Bad Ass

Unchainme
07-29-2006, 02:19 PM
on the advert it says 'before MTV, TV was boring'.....

ok, when it started it was good, as it was about music and so had a purpose....so explain the shit they have now then....

more like eMpTV than MTV....

the 'celebration' is being presented by the Osbournes.....what credibility :rolleyes: .....a cunt, a drugged up moron and a fat talentless pig....

You mean they're auctually showing a Special on MTV Europe?

Over here, I checked their schedule, Nothing for August 1st, shows about rich girls and The Worst Television show Ever invented The Real World.

I was thinking they would show a whole video of them auctually showing GOOD 1981-1996 Videos. I think their pussing out because they know the ratings would auctually be GOOD, and they would have to cancel their shitty ass shows.

Unchainme
07-29-2006, 02:47 PM
The Thing is, I'm always curious if a Band like Van Halen could make it today? I'm betting they would get no airplay on MTV or The Radio, and the media would probably be blasting them all the time, and praising the Hagars of these times (Emo and Nu Metal Bands.). Still at the same CVH was such a huge forceb that it would be impossible to ignore them after a while, Somehow they would get out and MTV and Clear Channel would be pissed because they couldn't manipulate such a band.

Unchainme
07-29-2006, 04:19 PM
http://www.jumptheshark.com/m/mtv.htm

MTV has one of the longest pages on Jump The Shark, I have yet to get why they continue to ignore such a thing. It's very much like The sisters not realeasing The Oakland footage, Just loosing money.

WMMS, again got the Highest ratings in years when they did a "Hair Metal" 5 day weekend on the 4th of July, Again people are just hellbent on pushing mindless crap, rather than letting us listen to what we auctually want.

Mr. Vengeance
07-29-2006, 04:31 PM

Yeah- that guy rocked!!!!

"Would you like some music with dinner, Tuco???"

EbDawson
07-30-2006, 01:33 AM
Originally posted by Mr. Vengeance
Yeah- that guy rocked!!!!

"Would you like some music with dinner, Tuco???"

"Music, yes. Very good for the digestion." :D

Soul Reaper
07-30-2006, 07:22 AM
Originally posted by Unchainme
You mean they're auctually showing a Special on MTV Europe?

Over here, I checked their schedule, Nothing for August 1st, shows about rich girls and The Worst Television show Ever invented The Real World.

I was thinking they would show a whole video of them auctually showing GOOD 1981-1996 Videos. I think their pussing out because they know the ratings would auctually be GOOD, and they would have to cancel their shitty ass shows.

They might actually be showing some of the videos over here or they're most probably doing a show about how they started with videos....

I'd watch it for the videos (if they're going to).....but nothing else....

Soul Reaper
07-30-2006, 07:24 AM
"Music, yes. Very good for the digestion." :D

*after beating up Tuco*
"How's your digestion now?"

I've got Fistful of Dollars, For a Few Dollars More and The Good, The Bad and The Ugly on DVD.....GRATE stuff....

EbDawson
07-30-2006, 09:32 AM
I've got Fistful of Dollars, For a Few Dollars More and The Good, The Bad and The Ugly on DVD.....

The Trinity!

POJO_Risin
07-30-2006, 06:32 PM
WMMS...100.7...The fucking Buzzard...

What can you say...it may have been the best station in the country for about 10 years.

Why? Well...it took chances with acts that weren't getting play anywhere else...but were good.

They played Live concerts from...hmmm...I want to say the Agora

The Buzzard Morning Zoo...which was directly ripped off by every major morning show in the country...

They also had a show...and I can't remember what it was called...but I'm sure I heard Roth and VH on it...

where they interviewed bands...and they played throughout...live...and I think that was at the Agora as well...it was on every week...

more on MMS later...but the fucking buzzard was far and away the best...and WDVE...102.5...in Pittsburgh followed along with a similar format...equally good...

Unchainme
07-30-2006, 06:43 PM
I listened to WDVE a while back, while I was going through pittsburgh, pretty damn good, I was impressed.

They have this one station in Youngstown called Y-103 thats pretty good to listen to.