PDA

View Full Version : Schools May Answer in Court for Censoring Students' Christian Messages

BigBadBrian
07-29-2006, 09:48 AM
Schools May Answer in Court for Censoring Students' Christian Messages

By Jim Brown
June 23, 2006

(AgapePress) - A Christian attorney says a Colorado high school was wrong to withhold a valedictorian's diploma because her commencement speech encouraged people to learn about Jesus Christ.

Erica Corder, an 18-year-old graduating senior at Lewis-Palmer High School in Monument, used her commencement speech to speak about the death and resurrection of Christ and to urge listeners to learn more about his sacrifice. After the valedictory address, however, school officials told Corder she would not receive her diploma until she wrote an e-mail to the school community's students and parents, apologizing for her comments.

Mat Staver, founder and chairman of Florida-based Liberty Counsel, believes the school acted inappropriately. "Frankly, schools have no right to withhold a diploma," he argues. "That diploma is earned. It's just like if you already worked at your job, and you get paid after the fact; what you do on vacation or off work does not have any bearing on whether you're going to get paid."

Corder's case has a number of "very disturbing components," Staver says, "because after she gave her speech, she was threatened that her diploma would be withheld unless she wrote an e-mail apologizing to the seniors in her class." But Corder had already "earned" her diploma, he insists, and as the valedictorian, "she was entitled to the diploma, and the school should not have forced her to give this apologizing e-mail."

The pro-family attorney feels this has been one of the most egregious incidences of abuse of power by school officials at graduation that he has ever encountered. Until this situation in Colorado, he notes, "I've never seen a case where a diploma is withheld because someone gave a religious message. I believe that was obviously illegal to do that."

In fact, Staver believes it was unconstitutional for the school to censor the Christian valedictorian's message. The Liberty Counsel spokesman has sent a letter to school district officials on Corder's behalf, informing them that, under the Constitution of the United States, she has the right to share her faith. He says even though Corder agreed to write parents and fellow graduates an apology letter, a lawsuit against the school is still warranted.
Link (http://headlines.agapepress.org/archive/6/232006a.asp)

Censored Valedictorian May Sue

By Jim Brown--FrontPageMag.com--06/22/06

A constitutional attorney is denouncing a Las Vegas school district for pulling the plug on a Christian student's commencement speech because it referred to her faith in Jesus Christ. At a recent graduation ceremony, Clark County School District (CCSD) officials cut the microphone on Foothill High School valedictorian Brittany McComb after she began reading a speech that contained Bible verses and references to God.

The district officials claim McComb's speech amounted to religious proselytizing and could have been perceived as school-sponsored, thus making it a violation of the so-called separation of church and state. But Mat Staver, founder and chairman of the Florida-based pro-family legal organization Liberty Counsel, says the high school valedictorian has every right to take the school district to court over the incident.

"I think this is one of the most outrageous examples of censorship at graduation that I've seen," Staver contends. "For school officials to literally be standing by the switch at the mixing board and cut the microphone on a student, simply because that student mentions God or Jesus, is just unbelievable."

With high school behind her, McComb plans to study journalism at Biola University, a Christian college in Southern California. But during her four years at Foothill, she says, "they taught me logic and they taught me freedom of speech." However, when the school's 2006 valedictorian tried to apply these lessons in her graduation address, the graduating senior with the 4.7 GPA ran into a problem.

In vetting McComb's speech, school officials stripped it of biblical references and approved an edited version, cutting six mentions of God or Christ and omitting two biblical references. At the graduation exercises, however, the teen commencement speaker felt compelled to deviate from the edited version. "God's the biggest part of my life," she says. "Just like other valedictorians thank their parents, I wanted to thank my Lord and Savior."

For the Foothill High School graduate, it all boiled down to her faith and her fundamental First Amendment right to free speech. For those reasons , she asserts, she chose in this instance to rebel against authority for the first time in her life. And, according to an Associated Press report, a sympathetic crowd of nearly 400 graduates and their families booed angrily at the school officials for several minutes after they cut McComb's microphone.

An American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) of Nevada official who read the unedited version of the young woman's speech told the Las Vegas Review-Journal newspaper the school district did the right thing in cutting the valedictory address short. But Staver disagrees that the district's action was warranted and comments, "In my opinion it's reprehensible, and I also believe it's unconstitutional."

The ACLU spokesperson quoted in the Review-Journal made the argument that graduation speakers like McComb are given a school-sponsored forum and therefore their speech is school-sponsored speech. But Liberty Counsel's chairman insists that student commencement speakers' personal remarks and expressions are free speech under the U.S. Constitution.

"Clearly, the law protects students who are in the graduation podium, on the platform, because they are there for some neutral reason -- in this case, being the valedictorian," Staver says. "That student has the right to be able to give a message of his or her own choice regarding the viewpoint of the particular message that's being delivered."

While the attorney regards the silencing of McComb's speech at the Foothill High School commencement as one of the most egregious acts of graduation censorship he has seen, he notes that it is one among many such incidents that happen to speakers of faith every year -- a problem that has to be stopped. "Schools should not, must not, and must stop censoring these kinds of religious viewpoints simply because they are Christian in nature," he says.

Even now, Staver points out, his organization is involved in a similar case. Liberty Counsel is currently representing a Colorado high school graduate whose diploma was withheld after she shared her faith in Jesus Christ during a commencement speech.

Link (http://www.studentsforacademicfreedom.org/archive/2006/June2006/AgapePressArizonaCensoredValedictorian062206.htm)

LoungeMachine
07-29-2006, 10:18 AM
I don't quite understand or agree with the ACLU's stance.

But I do remember reading that this young woman was TOLD she would be cut off if she gave the speech, and that she had made a PROMISE NOT to give the speech she gave.

So on one hand, I'm for her freedom of speech, but on the other hand I find it quite Un-Christian like to go back on her word.

Give her her diploma, and let her move on to Bob Jones already......

Or isn't graduation considered a "free speech zone" these days....

DEMON CUNT
07-29-2006, 10:23 AM
http://www.biffard.com/glen/Hairy%20Ass.JPG

LoungeMachine
07-29-2006, 10:27 AM
And one other point, Brie.

I take exception to your sub-title mentioning "Religious Freedom"

That's not how I see it at all.

It's a PUBLIC school, right?

She could have attended any "Christian" school instead.

This is about freedom of speech in my mind.

Not freedom of religion.

NO ONE is telling her what to believe.

BigBadBrian
07-29-2006, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by LoungeMachine
And one other point, Brie.

I take exception to your sub-title mentioning "Religious Freedom"

That's not how I see it at all.

It's a PUBLIC school, right?

She could have attended any "Christian" school instead.

This is about freedom of speech in my mind.

Not freedom of religion.

NO ONE is telling her what to believe.

It is a case of religious freedom.

They are simply denying her the right to state her beliefs, it doesn't matter if she is in a PUBLIC school or not. Not all people can afford the tuition at a private school. Does that mean she should be told what to believe or say? No.

BigBadBrian
07-29-2006, 10:31 AM
Why do fags post pictures of their boyfriends in this forum? :rolleyes:

LoungeMachine
07-29-2006, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian
It is a case of religious freedom.

They are simply denying her the right to state her beliefs, it doesn't matter if she is in a PUBLIC school or not. Not all people can afford the tuition at a private school. Does that mean she should be told what to believe or say? No.

You're wrong.

It's a free speech issue, and I'm on her side, in case that escaped your notice.....;)

NO ONE told her what to believe, Brie.

NO ONE told her she cannot practice her religious beliefs.

If you go around preaching Christ's teachings at work you will be fired.

She was told what not to SAY, not what to think, feel, or believe.

It's about freedom of Speech.

Get it?

LoungeMachine
07-29-2006, 10:35 AM
Why do fags post pictures of their boyfriends in this forum? :rolleyes:

Resorting to name calling?

;)

DEMON CUNT
07-29-2006, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian (R -Very Stupid)
Why do fags post pictures of their boyfriends in this forum?

Fags? That's rich.

That's a picture of you talking out of your ass about Baby Jesus.

BigBadBrian
07-29-2006, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by LoungeMachine
Resorting to name calling?

;)

Yes. It seems to be the "in thing" around here. Anyone (memories of Diamond Den come flooding in) that posts that kind of stuff deserves it, no matter their political leanings.

:gulp:

DEMON CUNT
07-29-2006, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian (R - Not Vey Smart)
Yes. It seems to be the "in thing" around here. Anyone (memories of Diamond Den come flooding in) that posts that kind of stuff deserves it, no matter their political leanings.

Faggot!

LoungeMachine
07-29-2006, 10:51 AM
Yes. It seems to be the "in thing" around here. :gulp:

Just going with the crowd, eh? :rolleyes:

Peer pressure can be a bitch, Brie :D

Nickdfresh
07-29-2006, 10:54 AM
I'm not. People shouldn't to be forced to endure bullshit proselytizing on public taxpayers dime...

I wonder what Brian would think if a student gave a 20-min. dissertation on the Prophet Mohamed during a high school commencement...

stringfelowhawk
07-29-2006, 11:47 AM
I support her right to say what she wants but there is a reason you don't start preaching religion at school and that is because not everyone feels the same way. I don't have a problem with her mentioning Christ in her speech but I do have a problem with her telling people they should learn about him. It would seem that her entire speech was about GOD and her giving it meant everyone who didn't share her beliefs are now forced to listen to it or walk out of something that every kid should experience. You tell me how that is fair to every classmate who doesn't share her religious beliefs? The problem here is people who believe religion should be taught in school. Intelligent Design or wtf ever you want to call it. There is a reason its not allowed the same as there is a reason for the separation of church and state. If someone doesn't share your beliefs you can't be exiled for it. And the asshole in office is seriously treading on the separation of church and state by openly claiming God told him to invade Iraq and fight them terrorists. Did he not call that a Crusade in the beginning? He made out that it was a mistake to call it that but now I'm not so sure. I think he meant it.

BigBadBrian
07-29-2006, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by stringfelowhawk
It would seem that her entire speech was about GOD and her giving it meant everyone who didn't share her beliefs are now forced to listen to it or walk out of something that every kid should experience. You tell me how that is fair to every classmate who doesn't share her religious beliefs?

Well isn't that just fucking tough-shit. :)

I'm sure any other particular person could draft a speech, get up and deliver it on anything they might agree with or believe in, and do just as fine of a job at pissing off a good portion of the crowd.

Fair my ass.

Cathedral
07-31-2006, 01:42 PM
Well isn't that just fucking tough-shit. :)

I'm sure any other particular person could draft a speech, get up and deliver it on anything they might agree with or believe in, and do just as fine of a job at pissing off a good portion of the crowd.

Fair my ass.

I agree with this, but i don't agree that it is a freedom of religion issue.
I've been to many graduations where i had to sit through political speeches that i didn't want hear and nobody jumped their shit over it.

If you don't believe in God then fine, don't. but be mature enough to allow people who feel differently to express their beliefs verbally.

Did she force anyone to learn about Jesus? Nope...
Could anyone in attendance get up and walk out? Yes...

What does the government dime have to do with anything anyway?

Do i give up my right's when i step onto the grounds of a University?
I don't think so...her right to free speech was violated; plain and simply put.
The government cannot support a religion, that is a fact...but it can't silence one either.

Jesus Christ
07-31-2006, 04:49 PM
Render unto Caesar the things that are Caesar's, and unto God the things which are God's.

And when ye pray, go into thy closet, and do not do so loudly in the streets as the hypocrites do.

Do those words soundeth familiar to anyone?

ELVIS
07-31-2006, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by a retard
So on one hand, I'm for her freedom of speech, but on the other hand I find it quite Un-Christian like to go back on her word.

Shut the hell up!

You don't know what "Christian like" or "Un-Christian like" is...

Someone should be in jail for withholding her Diploma, that she earned...

Originally posted by Brian
"Schools should not, must not, and must stop censoring these kinds of religious viewpoints simply because they are Christian in nature,"

I agree 100%

:elvis:

Jesus Christ
07-31-2006, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by ELVIS
Shut the hell up!

You don't know what "Christian like" or "Un-Christian like" is...

Do ye know how to be like Me, Gregory?

And if ye do, are ye doing so right now? :(

ELVIS
07-31-2006, 05:19 PM
Yes, I'm defending the girl!

Jesus Christ
07-31-2006, 05:38 PM
Would I call someone a "retard" and accuse them?

ELVIS
07-31-2006, 05:47 PM
Maybe so, you would call someone a "lying bastard, piece of shit, murderous, traitorous, Nazi, drunken, criminal", so why not ??

Jesus Christ
07-31-2006, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by ELVIS
Maybe so, you would call someone a "lying bastard, piece of shit, murderous, traitorous, Nazi, drunken, criminal", so why not ??

I realizeth that the Gospels were written 2000 years ago, but I don't remember saying that to anyone. Not even Judas or Herod. Do ye hath a quote?

ELVIS
07-31-2006, 05:55 PM
LMAO!

jhale667
07-31-2006, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh
I'm not. People shouldn't to be forced to endure bullshit proselytizing on public taxpayers dime...

...And that's exactly why the little zealot should apologize. :p And if she DID promise not to make such a speech and then went back on her word, they SHOULD be able hold her diploma until such an apology is made.

DEMON CUNT
07-31-2006, 11:57 PM
You shit in the toilet. You jack off in the shower. You buy grocieries at the grocery store and you save the baby Jesus talk for church.

And don't forget they want 10% of your incone or that baby you aborted in 1988 because you were going to DeVry won't get into Heaven.

Cathedral
08-01-2006, 01:34 AM
Originally posted by jhale667
...And that's exactly why the little zealot should apologize. :p And if she DID promise not to make such a speech and then went back on her word, they SHOULD be able hold her diploma until such an apology is made.

She never promised a thing, she kept it a secret.
And by no means should she apolgize to anyone for any reason.

She had the right to say whatever she wanted to say in her speech and if you didn't like it, fine, you have the right to express those opinions as well.

See, isn't this a great country?

Censorship Bites!