PDA

View Full Version : The Axl Rose Experience - a pleasant surprise

binnie
07-30-2006, 07:00 PM
Saw "Guns N Roses" on saturday night, and thought some people here may be interested in a review, so here is my attempt at one.

The opening act was Sebastian Bach, who proceded to tear London a new asshole. Bach's backing band sounded like thunder tonight as they blast ed through considerably heavied up versions up Skid Row tunes, "Slave to the Grind", "Monkey Business", "Here I am", "Big Guns", "Youth Gone Wild", "18 and life", and set highlight "The Threat." Bach is on fine form and owns this stage, running around, headbanging and swinging the mike out into the first few rows of the crowd which laps up his energetic and frantic performance. His voice was exceptional, and he screams like no other vocalsit can; the new matrerial he airs from forthcoming album "Angel Down" is a real show case for his vocal talents - particuarly the stand out "Amercian Metalhead" (or as he sings it "Ammeeeerrricaaaaaaaannn Mettallheaddddd). As the show closes, a kid behind me exclaimed "fucking hell, I wish I could sing like that" - nuff said.

Next on are the current darlings of the UK metal scene "Bullet For My Valentine". I had high hopes for their performance but was sorely disapointed. Although I thought that their album was solid and brimming with potential, the problem with their brand of thrash meets emo is that it is musically very busy and consequently sounds like mush as it comes through the PA. They play with real energy, and throw in some impresive guitar work, but this old metal head has seen it all done before and a lot better. I imagine that they would be great in a club, but lack the live experience to rock the whole of Wembley tonight. I am certainly not writing them off - a few years from now we may have a truly great band here.

And then we play the waiting game. The crowd grows restless as the interlude before Axl's arrival grows longer and longer - "come on you cunt" and "Axl is a wanker" chants grow more frequent once 10 pm comes and goes, but eventually at 10.45 the show starts. The opening slavo of "welcome to the Jungle", "It's So Easy", "Mr. Brownstone" and "Live and Let Die" erase all the hostility as the crowd realise that, yes, it really is Axl Rose.

And although being older and tubbier, Axl has still got it; all the moves are still on display, he stills jigs and sways like a psychotic nutter; and, although he struggles at times, his voice is in fine form. Unfortunatley the same cannot be said for the hired hacks who back him - what possesed him to hire such uninspired musicians is beyond me. There are three guitar players on stage tonight, and they all play a solo, all of which are equally forgetable. This was the weak point of the show: the momentum that the band generated in the first four songs is quickly lost as each song is followed by a solo or a jam, which makes the set a little disjointed and leisurely. We may get a lot of classics, but we get a lot of filler too.

The lowest point for me was hearing an out of tune "Sweet Child o mine" made even worse by a butchering of one of the greatest solos ever laid on record - Axl, that hurt.

Of the new material, one new song (I didn't catch the name) deserves particualr mention - AS IT WAS FUCKIN' STELLA. Typical Guns, bluesed based riifs built around Axl's psycho rock, with a big fuck-off chorus. This was the nights most pleasnt surprise: if we ever see that record, I have high hopes.

I really enjoyed this show, far more than I was expecting too, and I would gladly go again. However, it was only a competant and solid performance, and these aren't adjectives worthy of "The most dangerous band on the plantet". Axl is still a rock God - I was expecting an over weight clown, but he really has still got the magic. Sadly his band lets him down, too often robbing those sleaze soaked classics of their groove and bite: I saw Velvet Revolver twice last year, and they would have eaten this band for breakfast without breaking sweat.

binnie
07-30-2006, 07:01 PM
Anyone else been to this tour?

If so, glad to hear thoughts and comments.

What came out of it most strongly for me was that Axl could still do something great if he hired some half decent musicians....

Unchainme
07-30-2006, 07:08 PM
He needs Slash, Izzy and Duff. Period, He would kick everyones Ass with that line up GN'R is nothing without them, Fuck even he brought back just Slash, he would kickass, He needs the man in a tophat, like Steven Tyler needs Joe Perry and like EVH needs Roth.

binnie
07-31-2006, 04:13 AM
Originally posted by Unchainme
He needs Slash, Izzy and Duff. Period, He would kick everyones Ass with that line up GN'R is nothing without them, Fuck even he brought back just Slash, he would kickass, He needs the man in a tophat, like Steven Tyler needs Joe Perry and like EVH needs Roth.

Absolutely. But I doubt that reuinion will ever happen.

However on the strength of his perfomance, Axl could still put on a great performance without the original gunners. Sure, it wouldn't be the same, it'd always be a little cabaret, but he could do much better than this.

He needs to find musicians with balls - fuck, there must be loads of talented motherfuckers around sunset strip, Traci Guns would have been a good choice.....

The biggest problem, IMO, is his current drummer - technique is fine, but those songs cry out for power not finesse.....

Seshmeister
07-31-2006, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by binnie
Anyone else been to this tour?

I boycotted it and wish eveyone else had too.

There has to come a point when you get fed up being fucked around by an horrible little arrogant ginger twat whose best days are 20 years behind him.

Soul Reaper
07-31-2006, 10:14 AM
Is Bumblefoot (Ron Thal) Axl's new guitarist?

or has he left already?

Seshmeister
07-31-2006, 11:54 AM
Everyone I know that went to the shows said the guitarists were shit.

Local bar on a bad night level.

binnie
08-01-2006, 03:57 AM
Originally posted by Seshmeister
Everyone I know that went to the shows said the guitarists were shit.

Local bar on a bad night level.

Yep - fuckin terrible. But they thought that they were great!

I wish he had taken Izzy Straddlin and Gilby Clarke out with him - sure not the best technical players, but would have added some serious groove to the songs!

binnie
08-01-2006, 03:59 AM
Originally posted by Soul Reaper
Is Bumblefoot (Ron Thal) Axl's new guitarist?

or has he left already?

I believe he was there, I got confused.

One guy was called Robin Fink....

binnie
08-01-2006, 04:00 AM
Originally posted by Seshmeister
I boycotted it and wish eveyone else had too.

There has to come a point when you get fed up being fucked around by an horrible little arrogant ginger twat whose best days are 20 years behind him.

Yep, they were my thoughts initially but I took a chance. I have to say how impressed I was with Axl tho'....

Dave's Bitch
08-01-2006, 06:40 AM
He needs Slash, Izzy and Duff. Period, He would kick everyones Ass with that line up GN'R is nothing without them, Fuck even he brought back just Slash, he would kickass, He needs the man in a tophat,

umm no offence or anything but,have you seen him on this tour?,if not then your opinion on this is useless because you cant say what he needs to do unless you have heard him with his new lineup,which by the way is amazing

Dave's Bitch
08-01-2006, 06:42 AM
Yep - fuckin terrible. But they thought that they were great!

I wish he had taken Izzy Straddlin and Gilby Clarke out with him - sure not the best technical players, but would have added some serious groove to the songs!

was izzy not at the show you saw?

Soul Reaper
08-01-2006, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by Dave's Bitch
umm no offence or anything but,have you seen him on this tour?,if not then your opinion on this is useless because you cant say what he needs to do unless you have heard him with his new lineup,which by the way is amazing

his opinion isn't useless.....he's entitled to say what he wants....

I agree with Unchainme....he's nothing without Slash, Izzy and Duff....even if he may sound good now, he's just a shadow of what he used to be.....and it'll always be like that....

DrMaddVibe
08-01-2006, 09:12 AM
That doesn't sound like a "pleasant surprise"....it sounds like you got ripped off!

binnie
08-01-2006, 09:13 AM
was izzy not at the show you saw?

Yes, but I think he could have had a more prominent part in the band. Izzy is a damn fine player, and another blusier player would have worked well with him and would have been truer to the GNR sounds. I just think three guitar players is too many.

I have to reiterate that Axl was fucking incredible, but the band let him down.

What did you think of the new material?

binnie
08-01-2006, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by DrMaddVibe
That doesn't sound like a "pleasant surprise"....it sounds like you got ripped off!

It was a pleasant surpirse because I really wasn't expecting much. The show wasn't bad by any means, just wasn't spectacular.

I was very cynical about the whole thing, but I have to say I had forgotten just how talented a frontman Axl is....

ELVIS
08-01-2006, 03:12 PM
But they thought that they were great!

All the more reason to boycott the tour, as Sesh drunkenly, I mean admirably did...:D

Gilby Clarke sucks ass too...

Axl would be better off with ME out there...

Your review of Sebastian Bach is encouraging, although I pretty much always hated him...

Maybe I will catch a show...

:elvis:

ELVIS
08-01-2006, 03:16 PM
but I have to say I had forgotten just how talented a frontman Axl is....

although he struggles at times

Which is it, good or bad ??

Unchainme
08-01-2006, 03:30 PM

I've seen videos, Trust me if GN'R 3.0 and Velvet Revolver Merged back together they would be great. But just as VR doesn't sound right without Axl, GN'R doesn't sound right without at least Slash.

ELVIS
08-01-2006, 03:32 PM
Who really gives a rats ass ??

Watch this !!

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/p46LpOtu3EU"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/p46LpOtu3EU" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

ELVIS
08-01-2006, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by ELVIS

Maybe I will catch a show...

I take that back...

I couldn't find one YouTube video where Sebastian sings worth a shit...

binnie
08-01-2006, 03:35 PM
Which is it, good or bad ??

Sorry, I should have clarified.

There were moments where, like almost every rock singer I've seen, Axl struggles to hit the high notes. But these were few.

His performance overall was exceptional - his voice still brims with passion, and his frontman abilties are still top notch.

binnie
08-01-2006, 03:38 PM
I take that back...

I couldn't find one YouTube video where Sebastian sings worth a shit...

Really? That surpries me, becuase every time I've seen him his voice has been exceptional.

But, I'll take your word for it.

ELVIS
08-01-2006, 03:40 PM
His voice is irritating, and in my humble opinion, he's frequently sharp or flat...

He's always been like that...

Watch Halford blow him off the stage in the clip I just posted...

Unchainme
08-01-2006, 03:40 PM
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xSTEmoFYg3Q"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xSTEmoFYg3Q" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

See you just take Scott Weiland out (He can't hit Axl's notes that well.), and put Axl in, And its just like old times.

ELVIS
08-01-2006, 03:42 PM
He'll be back in prison soon enough...

binnie
08-01-2006, 03:43 PM
His voice is irritating,

I admit that he's not for everyone, and also that I am hugely biased as I have always been a big fan.

Unchainme
08-01-2006, 03:45 PM
He'll be back in prison soon enough...

And then they'll have no choice but to reunite with axl. :)

binnie
08-01-2006, 03:48 PM

See you just take Scott Weiland out (He can't hit Axl's notes that well.), and put Axl in, And its just like old times.

I actually really like VR, and respect those guys for not just trying to emulate GNR but do something different and move on.

No Weiland can't hit Axl's notes. However, I think he is a good vocalist in his own right and brings and brings an unnerving element to the songs.

I liked the VR record - it was a grower. The weak point, IMO ere Weilands lyrics, at times they are way too obtuse for my liking.

But unchainme you are absolutely right. If the classic GNR reformed, I don't think they would have lost much from their heyday. We can all pray...

ELVIS
08-01-2006, 03:58 PM
I actually really like VR, and respect those guys for not just trying to emulate GNR but do something different and move on.

Wait a minute, what ?!?

They sound EXACTLY like GNR with a different singer...

Point out to me what you find to be "different"...

It's the same EXACT formula as GNR, same sound, same song structure, same everything...

ELVIS
08-01-2006, 04:04 PM
Watch this idiot impress the fans...

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0L5Vn7Pnmys"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0L5Vn7Pnmys" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

ELVIS
08-01-2006, 04:06 PM
And again...

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Mc9wrXGJ3Rg"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Mc9wrXGJ3Rg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

ELVIS
08-01-2006, 04:09 PM
One more...

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/g7SHjsK5Elc"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/g7SHjsK5Elc" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

DrMaddVibe
08-01-2006, 05:36 PM
Axl Rose Goes Down Skid Row, Bach to the Rescue
Posted Aug 1st 2006 5:30PM by TMZ Staff
Filed under: Music, H-Wood

Guns N' Roses star Axl Rose fell ill during the final show of the band's European tour after a doctor had advised the singer not to perform. Former Skid Row frontman Sebastian Bach, who earlier joined the band on stage for a version of "My Michelle," took Rose's place and completed the concert at London's Wembley Arena.

Axl had been diagnosed with low blood pressure and low blood sugar earlier that day after performing at Wembley Arena, followed by a surprise show at the city's Cuckoo Club. He succumbed to illness during the band's last performance of the night after being advised by doctors not to do the show -- his response to that suggestion was "f*** that."

"I approached this last show with equal parts determination, obligation, responsibility and insanity," he said. "It was an amazing night." The singer said afterwards that the band had "an amazing tour."

Rose managed two hours of the show, with Bach filling in on the mic for part of the final two songs: Night Train" and "Paradise City."

"I want to thank everyone in Europe and the UK for inspiring us and for giving us the opportunity to play for them," Axl said after the show.

GNR hits the U.S. beginning in September

binnie
08-01-2006, 05:50 PM
Wait a minute, what ?!?

They sound EXACTLY like GNR with a different singer...

Point out to me what you find to be "different"...

It's the same EXACT formula as GNR, same sound, same song structure, same everything...

Sorry, I don't know what you mean be same song formula. In what sense? Verse- chorus - verse -chorus?

I'm not saying that they are a quantum leap away from GNR, just that they're not a carbon copy.

For one thing, GNR was always a real party rock band IMO, VR is much darker in places - I find some of the music quite oppressive (largely due to Weiland's twisted vocals)

Sure, Slash has written some very GNR-esque riffs, but the sound is much darker. Dave Krushner also plays rhythm differently from Izzy - he doesn't so much trade off with Slash so much, but play exactly the same part (I'm not a guitar player so I probably can't make what I mean clear here).

The band sounds different too - much more polished than Guns on record, and with less space between the parts. By choosing Weiland they have a singer who sings in much lower registers than Axl, and who is by no means as aggressive a singer - the songs have a smoother quality.

Less guitar solos also....

Dave's Bitch
08-01-2006, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by Soul Reaper
his opinion isn't useless.....he's entitled to say what he wants....

I agree with Unchainme....he's nothing without Slash, Izzy and Duff....even if he may sound good now, he's just a shadow of what he used to be.....and it'll always be like that....

unless you have heard Axl on this tour you cannot say he NEEDS the origional lineup or he needs this or that,As im sure half the people that are saying this are judging Axl from his 02 shows and such like.He has been AWESOME on this tour.He can still do the high stuff aswell.He has not changed one bit onstage,He still has an awesome presence and is a great frontman.I really dont agree that axl is nothing without the origional lineup,the music is different,but axl is same as he always was

binnie
08-01-2006, 05:53 PM
Apparently the next VR album is going to be completely different.

Rumour mill says that it is a concept album that Sorum has said will be "more danceable" than Contraband.

Now I'm an optimist, but that sounds terrible.....

Dave's Bitch
08-01-2006, 05:55 PM
Yes, but I think he could have had a more prominent part in the band. Izzy is a damn fine player, and another blusier player would have worked well with him and would have been truer to the GNR sounds. I just think three guitar players is too many.

I have to reiterate that Axl was fucking incredible, but the band let him down.

What did you think of the new material?

Ah yea izzy was the same at the gig i saw,he came on for 5 or so songs and then left.It was amazing when he came out though.

I personaly love the new material,It sounded great live,better than on cd anyway

binnie
08-01-2006, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by DrMaddVibe
Axl Rose Goes Down Skid Row, Bach to the Rescue
Posted Aug 1st 2006 5:30PM by TMZ Staff
Filed under: Music, H-Wood

Guns N' Roses star Axl Rose fell ill during the final show of the band's European tour after a doctor had advised the singer not to perform. Former Skid Row frontman Sebastian Bach, who earlier joined the band on stage for a version of "My Michelle," took Rose's place and completed the concert at London's Wembley Arena.

Axl had been diagnosed with low blood pressure and low blood sugar earlier that day after performing at Wembley Arena, followed by a surprise show at the city's Cuckoo Club. He succumbed to illness during the band's last performance of the night after being advised by doctors not to do the show -- his response to that suggestion was "f*** that."

"I approached this last show with equal parts determination, obligation, responsibility and insanity," he said. "It was an amazing night." The singer said afterwards that the band had "an amazing tour."

Rose managed two hours of the show, with Bach filling in on the mic for part of the final two songs: Night Train" and "Paradise City."

"I want to thank everyone in Europe and the UK for inspiring us and for giving us the opportunity to play for them," Axl said after the show.

GNR hits the U.S. beginning in September

That must have been the Sunday night

Did Axl really defy doctors orders to please his fans? I'd like to think so, maybe he has some redeeming features as a human being.

He actually sounds quite humble in that article (especially since he has been one of the top draws in the UK this year)

binnie
08-01-2006, 05:58 PM

I personaly love the new material,It sounded great live,better than on cd anyway

Yep, much better than I thought. It was actually very inventive in places.

glad you enjoyed the show too....

VAN HLN CA
08-01-2006, 06:05 PM
This is no different than when we see Dave. Showcase concerts of our favorite frontman and tunes.

Why wouldnt it be good? VH, Skids, GnR needs to be honored as often as possible, while we see which one reunites first.

Soul Reaper
08-02-2006, 07:14 AM
unless you have heard Axl on this tour you cannot say he NEEDS the origional lineup or he needs this or that,As im sure half the people that are saying this are judging Axl from his 02 shows and such like.He has been AWESOME on this tour.He can still do the high stuff aswell.He has not changed one bit onstage,He still has an awesome presence and is a great frontman.I really dont agree that axl is nothing without the origional lineup,the music is different,but axl is same as he always was

I heard that the band wasn't so good though.....

Axl needs the other guys back if he wants to lift himself back up again.....no matter if he's still a good frontman and vocalist....

but I might change my mind if his incredibly long awaited album actually comes out and is actually good....

if it's shit....no one will forgive Axl for making them wait for what seems like 1 million years.....

Soul Reaper
08-02-2006, 07:21 AM
And again...

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Mc9wrXGJ3Rg"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Mc9wrXGJ3Rg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

well, that was pretty pointless.....just get on with the songs, Axl....

what a cunt....

Douglas T.
08-02-2006, 09:17 AM
Well ... looks like a REAL badass had to finish AXL's show for him!

http://a1064.g.akamaitech.net/7/1064/685/6c4d8d5cb80be1/www.livedaily.com/img/library/artists/g-

Axl Rose falls ill during GN'R concert

August 01, 2006 12:25 PM
by Jon Zahlaway
liveDaily Senior Writer
Guns N' Roses (music) wrapped up its European tour Sunday (7/30) with a performance at London's Wembley Arena, but frontman Axl Rose--who later teased fans about plans for a September tour of the US--was unable to finish the show due to illness.
According to a press release from GN'R's management, Sanctuary Group Inc., Sunday's Wembley show--which was the second of two sold-out concerts the group played at the venue--"almost didn't come to fruition as vocalist Axl Rose was diagnosed with low blood pressure and low blood sugar Sunday morning."

Rose apparently fell ill after performing two concerts on Saturday (7/29), the first being the initial Wembley gig, and the second a surprise, 4 a.m., semi-acoustic set at London's Cuckoo Club. The singer became ill about two hours after finishing the 75-minute Cuckoo Club show, and a doctor--who was called to Rose's hotel room--advised that Rose should be hospitalized and not perform the Sunday show.

"F--- that, I have a show to do and I am not missing it," was the singer's response, according to Sanctuary.

Rose soldiered through the first two hours of the Sunday performance, and finished the final song of the regular set "before collapsing," according to a press release. Former Skid Row vocalist Sebastian Bach then took over for Rose so that GN'R could close the show with an encore that featured the hit "Paradise City."

"I approached this last show with equal parts determination, obligation, responsibility and insanity," Rose said in a statement. "It was an amazing night. I want to thank everyone in Europe and the UK for inspiring us and for giving us the opportunity to play for them. We are now looking forward to the US in September."

Specifics about GNR's purported US tour plans haven't been announced.

Guns N' Roses--of which Rose is the only remaining original member--have been working the road in advance of their supposedly soon-to-be-released album, "Chinese Democracy." The disc, which has been in the pipeline for about a decade, and the release of which has been delayed repeatedly over the years, will be the group's first collection of original material since the early '90s. No specific release date has been announced.

http://www.livedaily.com/news/Axl_Rose_falls_ill_during_GNR_concert-10474.html?t=97

binnie
08-02-2006, 09:30 AM
Will we ever see that record?

Douglas T.
08-02-2006, 09:36 AM
Whoever says Sebastian can't sing should check their sources or have their ears cleaned! Or maybe that is why he shows up EVERYWHERE ... he can't sing .... that's it ... yeah he can't sing so everyone wants him to sing with them that's it!! :rolleyes:

binnie
08-02-2006, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by Douglas T.
Whoever says Sebastian can't sing should check their sources or have their ears cleaned! Or maybe that is why he shows up EVERYWHERE ... he can't sing .... that's it ... yeah he can't sing so everyone wants him to sing with them that's it!! :rolleyes:

Five stars for a fellow Bach fan!

Have you heard the Frameshift record? He kicks serious ass on that one.

Douglas T.
08-02-2006, 06:41 PM
Last time I tried to get a copy it wasn't available yet or whatever!? I will trade you a copy of Superstar on DVD for a copy of FRAMESHIFT!

binnie
08-03-2006, 04:09 AM
Sorry DT, I've only got one copy of that record so I can't trade it.

Is there not a link to buy it from Bach's website?

If not, there were definately some recordings of it on there.

I will check my local record store to see if i can get hold of a copy to trade you....

binnie
08-03-2006, 04:21 AM
Try this address to hear some of the stuff!

http://www.sebastianbach.com/archives/SebastianBach.com%20October-December%202005.html

binnie
08-03-2006, 04:23 AM
There is also a link on his website to buy it off Amazon, it is in the June-october 2005 section of the site.

Hope that helps!

Douglas T.
08-03-2006, 08:00 AM
It was just out when I tried last time to get it! I'll order it tonight! Send me a PM with your address and I'll send you a Superstar copy anyway!

binnie
08-07-2006, 04:01 AM
For anyone who gives a shit, here is another review I found:

It all started around 18:30 when we were all let into the arena.. you could already tell people were hyped up and excited for what was about to come. The doors opened as everybody charged towards the stage to get the best standing positions. I was lucky enough to get right to the front with only one person in front of me. With it being 35 degrees outside (apparently the hottest day in Newcastle ever) the arena was like a pressure cooker and people were already starting to feel it before the 1st support act came on.

After about half an hour of waiting, on came Sebastian Bach who absolutely rocked. I've never experienced much of the guy before but he was on top form last night and really set the tone for things that were to follow. He was on stage for around 45mins and played everything you would expect him to, finishing on Youth Gone Wild. I was absolutely blown away by the guy. His voice was very impressive and he really got the crowd going. I just hoped he'd return later in the night for My Michelle...
Then after another 20mins or so, on came Bullet For My Valentine. Now, I'm not a fan of theirs and this performance only cemented that. In my opinion they were totally the wrong support act for GnR and I found myself really quite bored all the way through their set. They played for about half an hour and played all their 'hits' to a very mixed response from the audience. But they once they left the atmosphere just intensified as everyone prepared for what was to come next....

In typical GnR fashion they made us wait and arrived on stage an hour and a half late with the crowd chants alternating between 'Guns N' Roses! Guns N' Roses!' to 'Where The Fuck Is Axl? Where The Fuck Is Axl?'. The heat was really getting to people by this point with people collapsing near the front and being helped out by security... it really was survival of the fittest. But after what seemed like a life-time, out went the lights.. on came the intro and before we knew it out played the famous chords and the words 'DO YOU KNOW WHERE THE FUCK YOU ARE!?!?!' Everybody went wild.. and stayed wild for the entire set.
I can't remember the full setlist in order but they played;

Welcome To The Jungle
It's So Easy
Mr. Brownstone
Live And Let Die
Knocking On Heavens Door
Robin Finck solo into Sweet Child O'Mine
Richard and Robin solo "Beautiful"
Dizzy Solo
The Blues
Ron Thal solo (Don't Cry)
You Could Be Mine
November Rain
Out Ta Get Me
Think About You
My Michelle (with Sebastian Bach)
You Have To Move (Blues Cover with Izzy)
Patience
Nightrain

NO ENCORE

Everything was played to perfection with Axl in awesome voice, sounding better then ever while the guitar trio nailed every riff, rhythm and solo. Brain still wasn't around but the replacement did an awesome job and had I not known what Brain looked like - I probably wouldn't have known the difference.
They put on an awesome show with pyro at regular intervals (Live and Let Die, You Could Be Mine, My Michelle). Axl once again shouted 'So You Can BITE Me' at the end of Out To Get Me. Finck wore his Slash-esque hat and jacket for the 1st few songs before ditching them for Live and Let Die.
Izzy got a great reception when he came on stage

Although the majority of the crowd took to the new band like a fish to water, there were still some hecklers chanting 'We Want Slash' and 'Lame Ass Solo' after Ron Thal's display of dexterity - (they obviously weren't guitarists!) and 'Just play a fucking song!!' while the band jammed for a while - but most of the crowd just went with it and loved it. I overheard quite a few people discussing 'who is the superior guitarist, Slash or Finck?' after the gig which I was pleased to hear.. these guys deserve alot of credit because as much as I loved the old band, the performances the new band are putting out would be hard to top by anyone.

My highlight was November Rain which was just beautiful from start to finish with the climax at the end filling the entire arena and evoking a rapturous response from the crowd. Axl wore his green shades throughout the song which he explained was because 'Elton wished me a good show tonight'.

The only downside to the performance was during Nightrain when some dude thought it would be a good idea to throw a £1 coin at Axl. Axl ranted for a short while before prompting the band to stop and then walking off the stage while a chorus of boo's came from the audience. Axl's voice was then heard over the speakers saying something along the lines of 'I thought we were all having fun.. now if you want, we can try this again - but it's hard to entertain 11,000 people when some cunt is throwing shit at you'. They all returned to the stage to restart Nightrain which would turn out to be their finale due to the fact that they started an hour and a half late and as punishment for the projectile. So they closed their set at 00:15 with no Paradise City and only one new song in 'The Blues' (despite Bach telling Axl he had to play IRS)... but all in all the best gig i've ever been to.. and probably ever will. These guys are amazing and there are no two ways about it. If you're still longing for the days of Slash and Duff, check out the new band - I guarantee they'll make you think twice!

Phil Adele, UK