PDA

View Full Version : The Colbert Report

Va Beach VH Fan
08-03-2006, 09:37 AM
Just wanted to get you guys' feelings on this show....

For those who haven't seen it, it's a political news comedy show in which Steven Colbert portrays a Republican, but does it in a mocking way....

I think it's popularity has really gone up recently...

I have to say, I really enjoy it, obviously with my Democratic views, that's not too surprising....

But just wondering what you righties think of it.... ;)

Nickdfresh
08-03-2006, 10:36 AM
He's fucking hysterical, and is much smarter than the pundits he satires, at the same time.

Stephen Colbert is an interesting guy. He had no interest in political satire until he went on the Daily Show, and became obsessed with media and news. He also hosted a bit on religion, largely because he's also had his fair share of tragedy, I heard and extended interview once, and I guess his father and brother were both killed in a plane crash, which he said caused him to withdraw, but also made him a voracious reader.

His show also took heat because he got a congressman, running unopposed, to answer questions in jest like why he enjoyed doing cocaine. It was pretty funny, Colbert replayed the bit, then counterattacked his detractors (like Today and Goodmorning America), who claimed he makes politicians look like idiots, by replaying his mock-interview, then showing their critical "hard-news" story on his piece, then he played their retarded "human-(dis)interest" stories on cucumber salads and celebrity worship stuff.

I find him to be full of "truthiness (http://www.americandialect.org/index.php/amerdial/truthiness_voted_2005_word_of_the_year/)."

Va Beach VH Fan
08-03-2006, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh
His show also took heat because he got a congressman, running unopposed, to answer questions in jest like why he enjoyed doing cocaine. It was pretty funny, Colbert replayed the bit, then counterattacked his detractors (like Today and Goodmorning America), who claimed he makes politicians look like idiots, by replaying his mock-interview, then showing their critical "hard-news" story on his piece, then he played their retarded "human-(dis)interest" stories on cucumber salads and celebrity worship stuff.

Oh that was hilarious....

I TIVO the show every night....

Satan
08-03-2006, 03:37 PM
Apparently the Wikipedia folks weren't too amused with his segment the other night. He actually DID log on to Wikipedia and change the entry to say "George Washington never owned slaves" :D

DLR'sCock
08-03-2006, 06:23 PM
The show owns.

MERRYKISSMASS2U
08-03-2006, 06:34 PM
I love it.

Nickdfresh
08-03-2006, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
Oh that was hilarious....

I TIVO the show every night....

I hate the fact that The Daily Show and The Colbert Report are on in primetime, I wish they'd move it back to 7:00PM.

Dr. Love
08-03-2006, 07:28 PM
Tbh it is my favorite show currently.

Guitar Shark
08-03-2006, 07:52 PM
My favorite part is when he asks his guests the following question.

"George Bush...

Great President,
or
Greatest President?"

EAT MY ASSHOLE
08-03-2006, 08:19 PM
I hate the show.

A staunch, intelligent liberal pretending to be a crass, poorly informed conservative...what kind of idiot would invent a character as STUPID as that???

MERRYKISSMASS2U
08-03-2006, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by EAT MY ASSHOLE
I hate the show.

A staunch, intelligent liberal pretending to be a crass, poorly informed conservative...what kind of idiot would invent a character as STUPID as that???

Did we mention that the show airs on <b>Comedy</b> Central?

EAT MY ASSHOLE
08-03-2006, 08:21 PM
And no, this isn't because he didn't choose me to be his black friend...

MERRYKISSMASS2U
08-03-2006, 08:22 PM
It's called satire.

Guitar Shark
08-03-2006, 08:27 PM

That's a really good point... he'd have to be a real asshole. A punk, even.

EAT MY ASSHOLE
08-03-2006, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by MERRYKISSMASS2U
It's called satire.

Dude, you need to stop listening to so much shitty metal and develop a sense of irony...

EAT MY ASSHOLE
08-03-2006, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by Guitar Shark
That's a really good point... he'd have to be a real asshole. A punk, even.

You're insinuating something, but...I just can't put my finger on quite what...

(besides, as far as I'm concerned, the only assholes here are those who aren't giving our president thier full, unquestioned support. This is America after all...)

MERRYKISSMASS2U
08-03-2006, 08:30 PM
Dude, you need to stop listening to so much shitty metal and develop a sense of irony...

Excuse me, I just thought you were extremely stupid. Carry on!

Who would think such a thing, what with your classy screen moniker?

EAT MY ASSHOLE
08-03-2006, 08:32 PM
Excuse me, I just thought you were extremely stupid. Carry on!

Who would think such a thing, what with your classy screen moniker?

Someone with DAVE MUSTAINE as their avatar is giving ANYONE shit for "stupidity"???

Wow...I'm speechless...

Dr. Love
08-03-2006, 08:35 PM
I like when he gives both sides of the story... The President's AND the Vice-President's.

EAT MY ASSHOLE
08-03-2006, 08:38 PM
I happen to agree with his opinion that one of the best Republicans out there today is Democrat Joe Lieberman.

MERRYKISSMASS2U
08-03-2006, 08:42 PM
Someone with DAVE MUSTAINE as their avatar is giving ANYONE shit for "stupidity"???

Wow...I'm speechless...

It sure beats a condom.

EAT MY ASSHOLE
08-03-2006, 08:43 PM
It sure beats a condom.

Like global warming, that's debatable.

Nickdfresh
08-03-2006, 08:44 PM

Well, that's only academic!

blueturk
08-03-2006, 08:47 PM
Must See TV ( if you don't bleat): Colbert's appearance at the White House Correspondents' Dinner.

http://politicalhumor.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?zi=1/XJ&sdn=politicalhumor&zu=http%3A%2F%2Fvideo.google.com%2Fvideoplay%3Fdoc id%3D-869183917758574879

Dr. Love
08-03-2006, 08:47 PM
Like global warming, that's debatable.

You aren't suggesting we all ... mass debate ... are you?

EAT MY ASSHOLE
08-03-2006, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by Dr. Love
You aren't suggesting we all ... mass debate ... are you?

What debate is there??? It's hot? No shit! IT'S CALLED SUMMER, MR. GORE!

End of coversation.