PDA

View Full Version : Opeth

sadaist
08-05-2006, 04:03 PM
I'm new to Opeth. Never heard of them until you guys kept mentioning them in some threads. I popped my cherry with Deliverence (long song). Then added Blackwater Park, Harvest, & Ghost of Perdition. They sound kinda cool (don't really like the death grunt singing), but not a great as they were built up in these threads. I know I only have 4 songs. Which ones are their best? Help me narrow down the downloads.

MERRYKISSMASS2U
08-05-2006, 06:08 PM
I can't stand them because of the vocals. I hope they're ok because I don't want to be disappointed during gigantour.

Soul Reaper
08-06-2006, 08:30 AM
I think they're wunderfal.....one of the better bands around.....

quite a unique death metal band....

I don't mind their death metal growls actually.....

try their acoustic album, Damnation....no death growls in there, to my knowledge anyway....

binnie
08-07-2006, 03:44 AM
The vocals will stop a lot of people getting into them. I am no cookie monster fan, but for bands that know how to use them I can make exceptions.

Sadist, Opeth is a band that grows on you. It's like jazz, you have to listen and get into it, it's not always an instant love like a lot of metal.

I recommned listening to a whole album back to back - their music is packed with depth and feeling. Quite haunting actually......

like I say, not for everyone, but well worth a try...

Last_Child
08-07-2006, 10:38 AM
Opeth Damnation, only record I owned by them.

Sold it today for 100 Norwegian Kroner.

I've listened to i t once or twice. Shit boring.
I admit that they have good songs like To Bid You Farewell. I love that one, but... COOKIE MONSTER stops it all.

doctor roth
08-17-2006, 11:16 PM
Opeth are the best band going around. Their music is all about dynamics. Anyone going to see them live will not be dissapointed.

Wawazat
08-18-2006, 03:54 AM
Originally posted by doctor roth
Opeth are the best band going around. Their music is all about dynamics. Anyone going to see them live will not be dissapointed.

Saw them a couple of days ago, no cookie monster vocals at all, some

good sodomy jokes in between songs, great gig !

sadaist
08-18-2006, 04:10 AM
I'm trying, it's just hard to get past the grunts. I've also downloaded a band called Throwdown. Remind of Pantera, but not as good of musicians.

binnie
08-18-2006, 08:10 AM
Yeah Throwdown are pretty good. Sort of straight up hardcore.

No where near as inventive as Pantera, and a little repetitve. But great if you are pissed off!

Try Hatebreed too.....

MERRYKISSMASS2U
02-12-2007, 05:22 PM
I've pretty much done a 180... I am really getting into Opeth.

Tiki-Tom
02-13-2007, 01:13 AM
They are kind of like Arch Enemy to me. Musically they are great but because of the vocals, I can only handle listening in small doses.
Far to many good bands waste their potential with sub par singers.

binnie
02-13-2007, 03:02 AM
Originally posted by Tiki-Tom
They are kind of like Arch Enemy to me. Musically they are great but because of the vocals, I can only handle listening in small doses.

I know what you mean, but Opeth is WAY more musical than Arch Enemy, they drop into light trippy moments that sound like Pink Floyd or some crazy 60s folk band, and then jump right back into heavy.

The juxtapoistion is so unique and emotive....

MERRYKISSMASS2U
02-13-2007, 06:22 AM
Originally posted by Tiki-Tom

Arch Enemy sucks ass.... I can't believe that one of my favorite guitarists (Michael Amott) always gets stuck with screamers.

Shaun Ponsonby
02-13-2007, 09:53 AM
Musically, I think their GRATE...then they let out a few screams and growls...

BOO!!!!

At least Steven Wilson from Porcupine Tree produces them on occasions.

bueno bob
02-14-2007, 03:35 AM
I've seen them live on several occasions...they are fucking brilliant, one of the best bands around...

Their first two albums are actually rather bass driven ("Orchid" and "Morningrise"). Well, I wouldn't say so much driven, but the bass is very prominent in the music. Mike Akerfeldt wasn't particularly hot on the idea, but I honestly think "Morningrise" is one of their better efforts.

Predominantly, I think their best albums are, in order:

01. Blackwater Park
02. Deliverance
03. Damnation
04. Morningrise
05. Ghost Reveries
06. My Arms, Your Hearse
07. Still Life
08. Orchid

And that's not saying anything negative, either, because even "Orchid" is a beautiful piece of work....

I truly feel they're one of the best bands out there today.

binnie
02-14-2007, 06:41 AM
Bob, I'd put My Arms, Your herse further up that list, but each to their own....

Still waiitng to catch them live though...

mako_kimura
02-14-2007, 07:35 AM
Originally posted by sadaist
I'm trying, it's just hard to get past the grunts. I've also downloaded a band called Throwdown. Remind of Pantera, but not as good of musicians.

If you ever decide to go to a Throwdown gig, be extra careful. A ton of kids are into them, and hardcore "mosh pits" get pretty damn violent. It's like watching a karate movie on fast motion