PDA

View Full Version : What Are You Listening to this Summer?

The_KiD
08-06-2006, 08:49 AM
As a music junkie, I am always on the prowl for new tunes. I would love to hear what everyone is listening to this summer. I have listed what I have been listening to below lately. Please do the same..

Cheers,

KiD

Tool / 10,000 Days
Alice In Chains / Unplugged
Afterhours / Ballads for Little Hyenas
Social Distortion / Live at the Roxy
Black Rebel Motorcycle Club / HOWL
Cheap Trick / Rockford
Foo Fighters / In Your Honor
Soul Asylum / Silver Lining
The Cult / Electric
The Replacements / Let it be
Black Sabbath / Mob Rules
Queens of the Stone Age / Over the Years and Through The Woods
Catherine Wheel /Chrome
Iron Maiden / Rock In Rio
Thin Lizzy / Dedication
Twilight Singers / Powder Burns

mako_kimura
08-06-2006, 09:00 AM
I've been doing some experimenting with my free time, so here goes:

1. Bulletboys-Bulletboys
2. King Diamond-Abigail/Abigail II
3. The Cult-Sonic Temple
4. Children of Bodom-Are You Dead Yet?
5. Disturbed-10,000 Fists
6. Shadows Fall-Fallout From The War
7. David Lee Roth-A Little Ain't Enough
8. Slaughter-Stick It To Ya

alexpgrimes
08-06-2006, 11:53 AM
I've been listening to a bunch of mix cd's that I made. haven't bought a new cd in quite awhile. haven't heard anything that I've liked..

Last_Child
08-06-2006, 12:48 PM
One Album:

BIGBANG - POETIC TERRORISM

Coyote
08-06-2006, 02:05 PM
Rebel Meets Rebel
.38 Special - Wild Eyed Southern Boys
Pantera - Reinventing The Steel
Gov't Mule - Gov't Mule
a shitload of Hanoi Rocks, Van Halen/DLR
ZZ Top - El Loco/Deguello/Tres Hombres
Aerosmith - Rocks

m_dixon1984
08-06-2006, 02:06 PM
I'm currently giving both Dragonforce and Wolfmother a chance in my normal musical lineup and have been pleasantly surprised so far.

Will be picking up the new Cheap Trick because I've heard good things here.

Other than that I've been buying up a lot of the old Stones CDs since Virgin released them at discounted prices here in Canada. Got both Goats Head Soup and Exile On Main Street for $12 each last month.

M

fe_lung
08-06-2006, 05:02 PM
I've had my six year old living with me all summer so we've been jamming on a lot of Ramones and Police records. When he's not here it's Richard Thompson, Thom Yorke, and the Brian Posehn record.

binnie
08-07-2006, 02:56 AM
When summer comes around, there are some albums that I always crank:

CVH - anything
ACDC - all Scot era
Kiss - 70's
Nugent
Thin Lizzy - Jailbreak; Jonny the Fox; Bad Reputation; Fighting
Supersuckers - The Evil Powers of Rock n Roll; MOtherfuckers Be trippin
Sabbath - Ozzy era and Heaven & Hell/ Mob Rules
Kyuss - anything
Aerosmith - up to Rock in a hard place
Stooges
GNR

But this year, I have some new dirty rock n roll bands to crank and drink to.

Bullets & Octane
Rye Coalation
Dirty Rig (Kory Clarke of Warrior Soul on Vocals)

All three of those are fantastic straight out high voltage rock records.

I also can't stop listening to Tool - 10,000 days and the new Pearl Jam record....

Tiki-Tom
08-08-2006, 03:45 AM
Stone Temple Pilots - Purple, No.4, Tiny Music
Alien Ant Farm - TruAnt
Steely Dan - any Dan disc
Brian Setzer - The Dirty Boogie, Vavoom
TNT - My Religion
Dio - Killing the Dragon
Martin Denny - Exotica I & II
Stanley Clarke - School days, 1, 2, To the Bass
Doobie Brothers - The Captain and me, Takin' It to the Streets
Kyuss - Blues for the Red Sun
Hermano - Dare I Say
Kings X - Gretchen goes to Nebraska, Ogre Tones
Fu Manchu - The Action Is Go, In Search of...
Primus - Frizzle Fry, Tales From the Punchbowl
Alice Cooper - most of Coops stuff excluding Trash era

binnie
08-08-2006, 03:49 AM
Originally posted by Tiki-Tom
Stone Temple Pilots - Purple, No.4, Tiny Music

Kyuss - Blues for the Red Sun
Hermano - Dare I Say

Fu Manchu - The Action Is Go, In Search of...

Some excellant choices there!

I forgot to put all of Fu Manchu on my list!

Damn, I'm gonna go and crank Hermano right now!

Tiki-Tom
08-08-2006, 03:57 AM
Not the same as Kyuss but John Garcia kicks ass on this stuff. I hope that more people get into Hermano. It's a natural progression for Him.

binnie
08-08-2006, 03:59 AM
Originally posted by Tiki-Tom
Not the same as Kyuss but John Garcia kicks ass on this stuff. I hope that more people get into hermano.

Yep, I actually prefer it to Queens of the Stone Age, I just can't get into Josh's vocals.

John Garcia kicks ass!

Tiki-Tom
08-08-2006, 04:02 AM
His voice is much more confidant and aggressive/powerful on his own stuff.

Tiki-Tom
08-13-2006, 12:32 AM
Almost forgot about..........

Monster Magnet - Dopes to Infinity and Powertrip.

My summer's not complete without them.

MERRYKISSMASS2U
08-13-2006, 12:45 AM
I'm listening to a lot of Australian indigenous music.... and a lot of Russian folk featuring the балалайка. I am also looking for some more world/ethnic music. Time to give the Megadeth collection a rest.

Susie Q
08-13-2006, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by alexpgrimes
I've been listening to a bunch of mix cd's that I made. haven't bought a new cd in quite awhile. haven't heard anything that I've liked..

I'm with Alex on this one. I listen to whatever.

There is a song that I am probably over playing right now called, "Hate Me" by Blue October.

Here is how a mix cd goes for me:

Beach Boys
Van Halen
Kelly Clarkson
Rush
Jackie Wilson
Fall Out Boy
Blue October
Heart
White Stripes
Nickelback
Shakira
Rainbow
Sweet
Y&T
Dixie Chicks
Cheap Trick
Starz
Keane

Like I said, it's a hodge podge of shit I listen to.

binnie
08-13-2006, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by MERRYKISSMASS2U
I'm listening to a lot of Australian indigenous music.... and a lot of Russian folk featuring the балалайка. I am also looking for some more world/ethnic music. Time to give the Megadeth collection a rest.

That's some varied taste in music you have there....

Wawazat
08-14-2006, 07:30 AM
Freak Kitchen:
1 Spanking Hour
2 Dead Soul Men
3 Freak Kitchen

Cheap Trick:
1 Cheap Trick
2 Heaven Tonight
3 In Colour
4 Silver
5 Rockford

Andy Timmons:
1 That Was Then...
2 Resolution

Babylon Bombs:
1 Cracked Wide Open
2 Doin´ You Nasty

Tubes:
What Do You Want From Live

Clash:
Combat Rock
London Calling

Elvis Jackson:
Summer Edition
Move Your Feet It´s One O´ Clock
Go Home And Practice

Hanoi Rocks:
All Albums

Kevin Ayers:
All Albums

Mr Badguy
08-14-2006, 07:55 AM
Recently a shit load of Yes, Led Zeppelin and Jimi Hendrix.

Could change next week.

On the subject, does anyone think that some records suit summer better?

For example, I enjoy stuff like DLR/VH and Journey better in the summer but I prefer Judas Priest`s "Unleashed in the East" in the winter when it`s colder.

Maybe I`m just a whacko.

Wawazat
08-14-2006, 08:04 AM
I never listen to ELP during summertime.

binnie
08-14-2006, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by Mr Badguy

On the subject, does anyone think that some records suit summer better?

Yes!

I generally listen to the sort bluesier heavy music more in the summer; ACDC, CVH, Led Zepp, Aerosmith, Kiss, Cream, Hendrix, GNR, Buckcherry, Love/Hate, all stoner rock bands, Wolfmother, Dirty Rig, Rye Coalation (last 4 are newer bands for this year)

But in the winter, I always listen to the heavier stuff, thrash, doom etc etc.

I just have to have music that fits the mood - I can't listen to Toys in the Attic when it's pissing down!!

Loons The Great
08-14-2006, 10:57 AM
...new Pearl Jam...

..."Rabbit Foot Blues"--Blind Lemon Loons, Jr.

binnie
08-14-2006, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by Loons The Great
...new Pearl Jam...

Everyone should hear that record, should be mandatory listening.....

Best album they have made in years and years...

Ellyllions
08-14-2006, 08:48 PM
An endless loop of Candlebox for the passed week....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v660/Mrschris/home/candlebox.jpg

rustoffa
08-14-2006, 11:04 PM
Alot of Sirius. The "Buzzsaw" and "Hair Nation" channels are grate. Lotsa vinyl on the weekends. There's this fucking killer "heavy dub" reggae station on the interweb...just drives my dog crazy. He doesn't even smoke dope...turn the woofer up, and he starts growling @ curtains!!!

mako_kimura
08-14-2006, 11:24 PM
Recently, I've been listening to some more diverse metal/hard rock. Here's a bit of it:

1. A shitload of Avenged Sevenfold for some reason
2. Quite a bit of Atreyu (Stuff from The Curse, and some new stuff)
3. Some Bullet For My Valentine (Don't let the name fool ya, they're heavy)

4. Babylon A.D. (Old hair band, but a good one)
5. Shadows Fall

VAN HLN CA
08-14-2006, 11:30 PM
top 10 last few months
recent releases
afi-art of drowning (older) & dec under
slipknot-live 2.0
red hot chilli peppers-stadium arcadium
wolfmother-wolfmother
avengened sevenfold-city of evil

old school top 5
VH-fair warning
scorpions-animal magnetism
ted nugent-weekend warriors
judas priest-unleashed in the east
iron maiden-powerslave

binnie
08-15-2006, 03:53 AM
Originally posted by mako_kimura

4. Babylon A.D. (Old hair band, but a good one)

Didn't they do the song for Robocop 2?

"The kid goes wild" or something like that. Seem to remember that they were pretty good.....

binnie
08-15-2006, 03:54 AM
Originally posted by Ellyllions
An endless loop of Candlebox for the passed week....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v660/Mrschris/home/candlebox.jpg

Hey Ellyions, that you?

If so were they a nice bunch of guys?

Ellyllions
08-15-2006, 07:54 AM
@binnie, yep that's me. I had to bend my knees so everyone could get their arms around me. Scott Mercado is a short little babe. And that's my hotter than hell hubby in the back behind me.

They were incredibly nice to talk to. Very professional...made a point of remembering everyone's names. After the show each one called us by our first names which was impressive to me. They didn't rush the meet and greet and joked around a lot with us.

The show however, phenominal. I wasn't a fan in the 90's but wouldn't turn the radio when one of their songs were on. And was completely blown away by how well Kevin Martin can really sing. There are just some voices you hear recorded and you wonder how it comes out live....as a matter of fact I didn't realize until halfway through the show that none of the other guys even had microphones on stage.

They're in FL right now and headed across the southwest ending in Seattle (of course) on September 9. Tickets for all of their shows are under $30 so if you get a free night and they're in town, don't miss them.

binnie
08-15-2006, 08:06 AM
@binnie, yep that's me. I had to bend my knees so everyone could get their arms around me. Scott Mercado is a short little babe. And that's my hotter than hell hubby in the back behind me.

They were incredibly nice to talk to. Very professional...made a point of remembering everyone's names. After the show each one called us by our first names which was impressive to me. They didn't rush the meet and greet and joked around a lot with us.

The show however, phenominal. I wasn't a fan in the 90's but wouldn't turn the radio when one of their songs were on. And was completely blown away by how well Kevin Martin can really sing. There are just some voices you hear recorded and you wonder how it comes out live....as a matter of fact I didn't realize until halfway through the show that none of the other guys even had microphones on stage.

They're in FL right now and headed across the southwest ending in Seattle (of course) on September 9. Tickets for all of their shows are under $30 so if you get a free night and they're in town, don't miss them.

Glad you had a good night!

It's always nice when bands take the time to meet their fans.

I will catch them if they come anywhere near me. You and your husband make a nice couple btw!!

Ellyllions
08-15-2006, 08:13 AM
Thanks darlin'...I strive to be as hot as my hubby. It takes a lot of work but a man that fine needs arm candy. LOL!

If you do go....don't worry about the VIP passes. I only bought them because I wanted to be certain that hubby got to meet them. He was the reason for even going. The VIP's are around $75 and the big draw is the meet and greet. Well....after the show, they'll come out and meet everyone at the merch table anyway so the $75 is just sorta blown. Most of the venues are GA so they can't guarantee seating and the lanyard is nice and all but.....the $30 GA ticket gets you just as much as well as some extra money for beer. LOL!

I think the band feels a little bad about the VIP's too because they invited us to the bus after the show for drinks. When hubby asked, "Why would you do that?..." (half joking but understanding that the tour schedule they're doing is very grueling) They replied by grabbing his VIP lanyard and saying, "Well, this thing has to be worth something ya know..."

binnie
08-15-2006, 08:21 AM
Thanks darlin'...I strive to be as hot as my hubby. It takes a lot of work but a man that fine needs arm candy. LOL!

If you do go....don't worry about the VIP passes. I only bought them because I wanted to be certain that hubby got to meet them. He was the reason for even going. The VIP's are around $75 and the big draw is the meet and greet. Well....after the show, they'll come out and meet everyone at the merch table anyway so the $75 is just sorta blown. Most of the venues are GA so they can't guarantee seating and the lanyard is nice and all but.....the $30 GA ticket gets you just as much as well as some extra money for beer. LOL!

I think the band feels a little bad about the VIP's too because they invited us to the bus after the show for drinks. When hubby asked, "Why would you do that?..." (half joking but understanding that the tour schedule they're doing is very grueling) They replied by grabbing his VIP lanyard and saying, "Well, this thing has to be worth something ya know..."

Sounds like good value for money!

V.I.P passes are a rare thing at concerts in the UK, so if they come here, it shouldn't present a problem.

I'm actually gonna go and dig out some of their albums now, you've got me reminiscing....

Ellyllions
08-15-2006, 08:25 AM
I'm confused as to why "Simple Lessons" wasn't a radio hit...

I'm lovin that whole Happy Pills album.

They probably won't do the UK until next year if album sells are good enough. This is just a test run for their "Greatest Hits" album. They go into the studio in October or November with a new album to be released late Spring/early Summer '07. You'll probably have your best shot at seeing them next fall.

I can however pm you some links to some fan shot footage from this tour if you want.....let me know.

Matt White
08-15-2006, 08:54 AM
WOLFMOTHER

FLEETWOOD MAC...Live at the BBC

ALICE IN CHAINS...LIVE

JOHN 5

binnie
08-15-2006, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by Matt White

ALICE IN CHAINS...LIVE

Now that is what a live record shouls sound like!

Fuckin killer album. All the reviews for the shows they have done recently with the new singer have been good too, although I can't see it working myself.....

mako_kimura
08-15-2006, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by binnie
Didn't they do the song for Robocop 2?

"The kid goes wild" or something like that. Seem to remember that they were pretty good.....

Yeah, they had some other songs, like Hammer Swings Down and Bang Go The Bells

VAN HLN CA
08-15-2006, 11:05 PM
I just got amped on Iced Earth 'the Reckoning' does the whole disc kick??

binnie
08-16-2006, 04:29 AM
Originally posted by van hln CA
I just got amped on Iced Earth 'the Reckoning' does the whole disc kick??

YES!

It's just full on metal, big, loud and a little silly!

Ellyllions
08-16-2006, 11:17 AM
I just got word that I'm goint to see Alice In Chains on my birthday!

I'm so excited. This is certainly turning out to be my year!!!

binnie
08-16-2006, 03:31 PM
I just got word that I'm goint to see Alice In Chains on my birthday!

I'm so excited. This is certainly turning out to be my year!!!

That should be a great show!

Let us know how the new singer fairs up!

MERRYKISSMASS2U
08-16-2006, 03:44 PM
That's some varied taste in music you have there....

I'm also downloading Russian metal. I've fallen in love with the Russian language again.

binnie
08-16-2006, 03:51 PM
Sounds like you are broadening your musical horizons!

That's cool - check out African and South American Tribal music too, you might dig some of that stuff......

rustoffa
08-16-2006, 09:51 PM
Sounds like you are broadening your musical horizons!

That's cool - check out African and South American Tribal music too, you might dig some of that stuff......

If you really want a dose of eclectic, check out David Johansen's show on Sirius Disorder.

If you're lucky, he'll play some of the unplugged bushmen stuff. Think Spike Jones beating on a rotting giraffe carcass.
:monkey:

binnie
08-17-2006, 03:58 AM
Originally posted by rustoffa
If you really want a dose of eclectic, check out David Johansen's show on Sirius Disorder.

If you're lucky, he'll play some of the unplugged bushmen stuff. Think Spike Jones beating on a rotting giraffe carcass.
:monkey:

Sounds cool - I'm gonna hunt around for some of that!