PDA

View Full Version : Kiss Fans Protest Rock Hall of Fame Snub

The_KiD
08-06-2006, 09:30 AM
Kiss Fans Protest Rock Hall of Fame Snub
Aug 6, 4:43 AM EST

About 200 Kiss fans protested Saturday in front of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum to demand that the band be inducted into the hall.

Fans, some from as far away as California, carried signs and had painted their faces in black-and-white to resemble Kiss band members.

Those participating in the half-hour demonstration were upset that the band, formed more than 30 years ago, has not been admitted, even though it has been eligible since the late 1990s.

Artists become eligible for induction 25 years after the release of their first record, according to the museum's Web site.

"Criteria include the influence and significance of the artist's contributions to the development and perpetuation of rock and roll," the site says.

A museum spokesman said it was the first demonstration by fans seeking to have a group inducted.

The foundation that selects inductees is based in New York City, not at the museum.

———

On the Net:

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum: http://www.rockhall.com

Mr. Vengeance
08-06-2006, 11:09 AM
The fact they aren't there, and neither is Alice Cooper is a slap in the face to all KISS and AC fans. The number of shitty artists that are in (FUCK ELVIS COSTELLO!!!), while these two aren't......It's nothing more than a blatant snub, becasue somehow the HOF thinks they are above these bands.

Va Beach VH Fan
08-06-2006, 12:06 PM
Concur Vengance, just another example of idiots put in charge....

Probably a few things have contributed to it, IMO...

I think the gluttony of merchandising and overall greed that they've attempted in recent years have soured the voting process...

I also think that the public disrespect that they've shown towards Ace and Peter hasn't helped...

Lastly, and this applies to both Alice and KISS, is that I don't think they account for the contributions that theatrical rock bands such as those two gave towards the overall rock concert experience....

I mean, you have rock bands that give you a great musical experience with little fanfare, i.e. Rush, a mix of great music and production, i.e. Van Halen, Crue, etc., and then you have those bands whose forte' is an incredible live show and that while their musical element and individual artistry is relatively less than the musicians in those 'other' types of rock bands, the fans leaving those arenas still leave with a "holy shit" just as much as they do had they gone to other bands' shows....

KISS and Alice certainly fall into that category....

fryingdutchman
08-06-2006, 12:28 PM
Agreed gang...

To think that they put those fuckwits from The Sex Pistols in and not Kiss or Alice Cooper is revolting.

Of course, The Sex Pistols induction was probably just the HOF saying "Hey...look, we can be irreverent and cool!"

Just like Pat Boone covering a metal tune....

FORD
08-07-2006, 12:58 AM
The Sex Pistols deserved the induction - not that they gave a shit.

I have no idea why Alice Cooper isn't in yet. That's definitely an injustice.

As for Kiss, they are in about the same boat as Van Halen, or where Black Sabbath and Lynyrd Skynyrd were before all the fan lobbying got those two bands inducted.

Namely, the fact that the band has become such a fucking JOKE with roadies playing lead guitar in Ace makeup, and a revolving door of drummers dressed as Peter Criss.

They should honor Kiss for what they did between 1973- and 1978 and leave the joke years out of it. Just like any mention of Van Halen after 1985 is unthinkable as far as the Hall of Fame is concerned.

That said, the Kiss fans are doing the right thing by lobbying, since it worked with this year's inductees. Maybe it's time they heard from some Van HALEN fans as well?

binnie
08-07-2006, 02:31 AM
Kiss should be there. Period.

They have had an overwhleming influence on rock music and business.

Agreed also that Alice Cooper should be there - man, is anyone more instantly recognisable, both visually and on record?

Tiki-Tom
08-07-2006, 02:58 AM
"Hey there, this is A.B. Cooper from
Cooper's Carnival of Clean and Classic Cars
It's our Fourth of July ... sale.
Here at Cooper's Carnival of Clean and Classic Cars
At the corner of Collins and Commerce
I've got lot full of the finest funny looking cars money can buy
At prices even you can afford
So come on down and say hello to me, and granny
And bring the kids to meet my snake
I say, "bye"
Granny says, "bye"
and the snake says, "sssssssssss"

-"I Love America"- The man is brilliant - let him in already!

Mr. Vengeance
08-07-2006, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by Tiki-Tom
"Hey there, this is A.B. Cooper from
Cooper's Carnival of Clean and Classic Cars
It's our Fourth of July ... sale.
Here at Cooper's Carnival of Clean and Classic Cars
At the corner of Collins and Commerce
I've got lot full of the finest funny looking cars money can buy
At prices even you can afford
So come on down and say hello to me, and granny
And bring the kids to meet my snake
I say, "bye"
Granny says, "bye"
and the snake says, "sssssssssss"

-"I Love America"- The man is brilliant - let him in already!

One of the few tunes from that abysmal Dada, that I can say showed the old Alice....

Mr. Vengeance
08-07-2006, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by FORD
The Sex Pistols deserved the induction - not that they gave a shit.

I have no idea why Alice Cooper isn't in yet. That's definitely an injustice.

As for Kiss, they are in about the same boat as Van Halen, or where Black Sabbath and Lynyrd Skynyrd were before all the fan lobbying got those two bands inducted.

Namely, the fact that the band has become such a fucking JOKE with roadies playing lead guitar in Ace makeup, and a revolving door of drummers dressed as Peter Criss.

They should honor Kiss for what they did between 1973- and 1978 and leave the joke years out of it. Just like any mention of Van Halen after 1985 is unthinkable as far as the Hall of Fame is concerned.

That said, the Kiss fans are doing the right thing by lobbying, since it worked with this year's inductees. Maybe it's time they heard from some Van HALEN fans as well?

That would be the only way to include The Platters under that criteria. They still have people going around under the name The Platters, doing dinner theatre, when none of the originals are in the group. Most of them are dead, I think. Someone got the rights to the name, I think a kid of one of the originals, and is whoring it for all it's worth.

ace diamond
08-08-2006, 03:07 PM
the rock and roll hall of fame is for the most part a big fucking joke.
at least it only took them 11 years to let black sabbath in.
now if they wanna do the right thing
the next inductees should be:
KISS
CVH
JUDAS PRIEST
IRON MAIDEN
MOTLEY CRUE
MONTROSE
ALICE COOPER
DEEP PURPLE
THE WHO
IGGY POP AND THE STOOGES
THE NEW YORK DOLLS
THE RAMONES
RAINBOW
BOB SEGER AND THE SILVER BULLET BAND
TED NUGENT
THE RUNAWAYS
THE SCORPIONS
MERCYFUL FATE
DIAMOND HEAD
i believe it is a major snub no of these bands are in while most of their contemporaries are, i.e.,aersomith,queen,led zeppelin,jimi hendrix,sex pistols,etc......
until something is done to induct these greatly influential and eligible bands,the hall is not the least bit credible in my eyes.

:mad2: :monekyr: :asshole: :fucku: :upyours: :fu: :stupid: :cheese: :monekyl:THIS IS WHAT I FUCKING THINK OF THE ROCK AND ROLL HALL OF FAME UNTIL JUSTICE IS DONE

Mr. Vengeance
08-08-2006, 03:51 PM
The Who was inducted in 1990. Ramones inducted in 2002.

Mr. Vengeance
08-08-2006, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by ace diamond

MONTROSE
RAINBOW
THE RUNAWAYS
THE SCORPIONS
MERCYFUL FATE
DIAMOND HEAD

There's not a shot in hell any of these bands ever get in...MAYBE the Runaways, only because they were essentially the first female rockers, but even then, they were harly even a band.

Not that all those bands don't have greatness in themselves (other than Spammy in Montrose)

Satan
08-08-2006, 04:02 PM
the rock and roll hall of fame is for the most part a big fucking joke.
at least it only took them 11 years to let black sabbath in.
now if they wanna do the right thing
the next inductees should be:
KISS
CVH
JUDAS PRIEST
IRON MAIDEN
MOTLEY CRUE
MONTROSE
ALICE COOPER
DEEP PURPLE
THE WHO
IGGY POP AND THE STOOGES
THE NEW YORK DOLLS
THE RAMONES
RAINBOW
BOB SEGER AND THE SILVER BULLET BAND
TED NUGENT
THE RUNAWAYS
THE SCORPIONS
MERCYFUL FATE
DIAMOND HEAD

An impressive list, but you made a few errors...

The Who - inducted in 1990

Ramones - inducted 2002

Mercyful Fate and Diamond Head ain't ever gonna get in. Sorry, but that's just the fact. A Hall of Fame inductee doesn't neccessarily have to be a mainstream multi-platinum selling artist, but they do have to be at least recognized as a significant influence on other bands that followed (i.e The Velvet Underground, inducted 1996)

Judas Priest should definitely be in by now. So should Deep Purple, but there again, you have the "Joke" factor with the ever revolving lineup.

Iggy Pop, the NY Dolls and the Runaways definitely all fit the Velvet Underground factor - never platinum sellers, but massively influential over a generation that followed. All three should be inducted eventually.

Bob Seger, I believe, was an early nominee for last year's list, so he might be in soon.

Nugent - let's face it.... his politics drove away a lot of fans. Not saying that's right or wrong, but it just is.

As for Montrose - well it might be Sammy's best work. But it's still Sammy.... ;)

ace diamond
08-08-2006, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Vengeance
The Who was inducted in 1990. Ramones inducted in 2002.

i wasn't aware of that. thank you for pointing it out.

ace diamond
08-08-2006, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by Satan
An impressive list, but you made a few errors...

The Who - inducted in 1990

Ramones - inducted 2002

Mercyful Fate and Diamond Head ain't ever gonna get in. Sorry, but that's just the fact. A Hall of Fame inductee doesn't neccessarily have to be a mainstream multi-platinum selling artist, but they do have to be at least recognized as a significant influence on other bands that followed (i.e The Velvet Underground, inducted 1996)

Judas Priest should definitely be in by now. So should Deep Purple, but there again, you have the "Joke" factor with the ever revolving lineup.

Iggy Pop, the NY Dolls and the Runaways definitely all fit the Velvet Underground factor - never platinum sellers, but massively influential over a generation that followed. All three should be inducted eventually.

Bob Seger, I believe, was an early nominee for last year's list, so he might be in soon.

Nugent - let's face it.... his politics drove away a lot of fans. Not saying that's right or wrong, but it just is.

As for Montrose - well it might be Sammy's best work. But it's still Sammy.... ;)

yes, it is still spammy,but at least it was the only band he was ever in as an original member that did not suck.
montrose was the only good thing spambo the fatfuck ever did.
fortunately ronnie montrose did the majority of the songwriting, and he strictly forbade sammy from touching a guitar. the songs on those montrose lp's sammy did write,most of them are now classic rock staples....i.e,bad motor scooter.......but nonetheless, montrose was the only good thing he ever did,at least it is the only works of his i can stand and does not suck.

rucalobe
08-08-2006, 08:01 PM
I believe Bob Seger was inducted back in 2004. Also, you missed a few other bands that, in my very humble opinion, should've been on the Rock Hall a long time ago.

Here's the list:
1. Rush
2. Cheap Trick
3. Kansas
4. REO Speedwagon
5. Styx
6. Journey
7. Dead Kennedys
8. DIO
9. Triumph
10. 38 Special

Mr. Vengeance
08-08-2006, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by rucalobe
I believe Bob Seger was inducted back in 2004. Also, you missed a few other bands that, in my very humble opinion, should've been on the Rock Hall a long time ago.

Here's the list:
1. Rush
2. Cheap Trick
3. Kansas
4. REO Speedwagon
5. Styx
6. Journey
7. Dead Kennedys
8. DIO
9. Triumph
10. 38 Special

Out of that list I'd sy the only bands that will have a shot are Rush, and possibly Cheap Trick.

Kansas, REO, Styx, Journey, all sold lost of albums but are pretty much lumped into corporate rock and ballad rock.

Dead Kennedys, Dio, Triumph, 38 Special....just never did anything special either.

ace diamond
08-08-2006, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by rucalobe

Here's the list:
1. Rush
2. Cheap Trick
3. Kansas
4. REO Speedwagon
5. Styx
6. Journey
7. Dead Kennedys
8. DIO
9. Triumph
10. 38 Special

dio as a solo artist is not eligible yet.
i did however forget to put OZZY as a solo artist.
saxon and samson also.

Mr. Vengeance
08-09-2006, 10:10 AM
dio as a solo artist is not eligible yet.
i did however forget to put OZZY as a solo artist.
saxon and samson also.

What makes Saxon and Samson worthy of the HOF? Good rock bands, but if you let them in, why wouldn't everyone be in?

Casemeister
08-09-2006, 11:47 AM
I might be biased because I'm not really a big fan at all, but could you really say Motley Crue should be in the HOF anytime soon? There are many, many bands and artists who should be in the HOF LONG before Motley Crue.

As for some of the slightly more obscure (from a mainstream perspective) artists, remember, it's the Rock 'n' Roll HOF -- it's not the '80s Metal HOF, just like it's not the '74-'82 Finnish Progressive Jazz Fusion HOF. ;) I love many of the bands listed, but they're never going to get in and, well, probably don't deserve to get into a more mainstream HOF.

Mr. Vengeance
08-09-2006, 12:53 PM
About the only reason I could see Crue going in is that they kind of kicked off that whole 80's metal movement. And regardless of what people think of it, they did influence a lot of bands. Of course, they were influenced by KISS and Alice, so......

I think it's a longshot for them to get in, in any case.

binnie
08-09-2006, 01:26 PM
What makes Saxon and Samson worthy of the HOF? Good rock bands, but if you let them in, why wouldn't everyone be in?

Yep, no way those two should be in. Same for Montrose really, they weren't around long enough to merit HOF.

Dead Kennedy's, no chance because of the politics. Can't see Jello being thrilled at the prospect either!

binnie
08-09-2006, 01:29 PM
About the only reason I could see Crue going in is that they kind of kicked off that whole 80's metal movement. And regardless of what people think of it, they did influence a lot of bands. Of course, they were influenced by KISS and Alice, so......

I think it's a longshot for them to get in, in any case.

I think they deserve it. In terms of selling a lot of records and concert tickets, as well as influencing the 80's as you state.

But also, they influence was wider than that: they are a cultural phenomenon now, pretty much synoymous with r&r debauchery and excess. They are household names.

Not the greatest songwriters in the world, but they are legends, for better or worse.

Mr. Vengeance
08-09-2006, 09:03 PM
Well..they probably had more top 20 hits than Bob Segar and the Silver Bullet band...not that top 20 hits gets you in...

In the end, I think they ought to have a Metal/HR HOF somewhere. I vote Birmingham, England, birthplace of Black Sabbath.

ace diamond
08-10-2006, 12:52 AM

well, samson should be in because of bruce dickenson have been in it.
irom maiden shoud be in regardless.
as for saxon,need i remind you of "denim and leather", "dallas 1pm",
and "strong arm of the law"?
biff is awesome!

ace diamond
08-10-2006, 12:55 AM
Well..they probably had more top 20 hits than Bob Segar and the Silver Bullet band...not that top 20 hits gets you in...

In the end, I think they ought to have a Metal/HR HOF somewhere. I vote Birmingham, England, birthplace of Black Sabbath.

and therefore the birthplace of heavy metal!!!

i second this motion.