PDA

View Full Version : Grits v/s Oatmeal

rustoffa
08-13-2006, 12:05 AM
In an obvious rip-off of the sports drink thread, I'd like to ask, "Which do you like better, grits, or oatmeal"?

For me, it's a no-brainer (literally). Just look @ the locality! I've always found it odd the way yankees are scared of grits. I mean, what the fuck is wrong with a bowl of steaming corn goodness? You wanna get scared? Try some hominy! That shit's gross.

All the fuck you can do with oatmeal is pour a bunch of sugar and fruit in it. That's fine if you're into folger's de-caf, and windy walks.

Grits? You can put all kinds of hearty stuff in it, and it won't suck!!! When was the last time you put some sharp cheddar and bacon into oatmeal??

Don't forget to vote, and quit drinking milk!!!
:)

Unchainme
08-13-2006, 12:40 AM
As A Midwestner, I never had the stuff,I've seen it in the South, Didn't sound that appetizing to me. Just two different regions. So I was sorta afraid to try the stuff to be honest.

For Breakfast though, Skip The oatmeal, let me have an Ommelette, and some bacon and sausage. Good Stuff right there. ^_^.

Little Texan
08-13-2006, 05:13 AM
Sorry, never cared much for grits, but I've always liked oatmeal since I was a kid! I don't eat it for breakfast, but as a snack or dessert sometimes. I always get the variety packs with the fruit and cream, Strawberries and Cream being my favorite.

Little Texan
08-13-2006, 05:14 AM
Plus, some pretty damn good cookies can be made with oatmeal!

MERRYKISSMASS2U
08-13-2006, 05:14 AM
Grits! Grits! Grits!

Cinnamon oatmeal is awesome too.

MAX
08-13-2006, 05:50 AM
Grits are great and would hardly compare them with oatmeal. Meaning, you have your eggs witha side of grits but you never have eggs and friggin' oatmeal. I'd say put the grits up against hashbrowns or something? I love grits with a big hunk of butter, ton of pepper, some bascy (Tobasco for those of you that don't speak "Cute" lol) and a dash of salt.

Susie Q
08-13-2006, 01:04 PM
Oatmeal with a bit of half n' half in it, brown sugar, and cinnamon. Great for a cold winters day. :)

After making the snowman, drawing in the snow with food coloring, having a snowball fight, sleigh riding... :)

Another good treat is hot cocoa made with a hint of peppermint. Make REAL whip cream, and then shave a chocolate bar over top.

Now I can't wait for snow to fly!!! :p :)

SensibleShoes
08-13-2006, 03:02 PM
Grits. My mama from Georgia fed them to this northern kid all the time. DAMN good.

WARF
08-13-2006, 06:02 PM
They both taste like shit!

Tiki-Tom
08-13-2006, 06:32 PM
Gotta go with Grits. Living in a southern tourist area it's funny when the yanks ask" what the hell is a grit?"

Ally_Kat
08-13-2006, 06:50 PM
Grits! I even had them for breakfast this morning.

Everyone here looks funny at me because they've never heard of it. But my mom's side of the family is from PA, so I've had them all the time. Best combo ever is grits and bacon.

rustoffa
08-13-2006, 09:29 PM
Country ham is another good combo with grits. Talk about raising your sodium level! Clifty Farms has Lo-retta Lynn on the package. I know, it's not the real deal, but quick and easy. Extra points? Do a dallop of Daisy!

diamondsgirl
08-13-2006, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by WARF
They both taste like shit!

yup. pass the tang. :D

blonddgirl777
08-13-2006, 09:56 PM
Yea, what the fuck is grits?

Anyway, I loooove pancakes and waffles... MMMMmmmmm.......
Ho, and French toasts, of course!

Ally_Kat
08-13-2006, 11:11 PM
http://www.sturmfoods.com/images/product_photos/photo_grits.jpg

blonddgirl777
08-13-2006, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by Ally_Kat
http://www.sturmfoods.com/images/product_photos/photo_grits.jpg

It doesn't look bad!

Little Texan
08-13-2006, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by rustoffa
For me, it's a no-brainer (literally). Just look @ the locality! I've always found it odd the way yankees are scared of grits. I mean, what the fuck is wrong with a bowl of steaming corn goodness? You wanna get scared? Try some hominy! That shit's gross.

The funny thing is all grits are is ground up hominy...grits and hominy are the same thing, basically, only that hominy is grits before it's ground.

Tiki-Tom
08-13-2006, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by blonddgirl777
It doesn't look bad!
You gotta get you some girl!

Ally_Kat
08-13-2006, 11:30 PM
It doesn't bad, either! And they're filling.

diamondsgirl
08-13-2006, 11:34 PM
OK, so Max tells me that he puts hot sauce on his grits...now that would make a world of difference. That sounds good.

When I had them they were so plain...I kept adding salt trying to get them some flava.

Ally_Kat
08-13-2006, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by diamondsgirl
OK, so Max tells me that he puts hot sauce on his grits...now that would make a world of difference. That sounds good.

When I had them they were so plain...I kept adding salt trying to get them some flava.

Margarine! And/or bacon grease. But yeah, margarine.

diamondsgirl
08-13-2006, 11:37 PM
Yea, what the fuck is grits?

Anyway, I loooove pancakes and waffles... MMMMmmmmm.......
Ho, and French toasts, of course!

when your pancakes or waffles are hot ...put some peanutbutter on them and let it melt and then put some blueberry or raspberry syrup on it. Mmmmm.

:rolleyes: <--- these are orgasmic eyes after eating pb pancakes, mmmmm...lol

diamondsgirl
08-13-2006, 11:43 PM

mmmmm....bacon grease....lol. :D

blonddgirl777
08-13-2006, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by Tiki-Tom
You gotta get you some girl!

I swear, we don't have that here...
French cuisine sucks! :p

blonddgirl777
08-13-2006, 11:49 PM

Nothing but butter for me... and lots of it!
Gemme all the cholesterol my arteries can take...

blonddgirl777
08-13-2006, 11:50 PM
... :rolleyes: <--- these are orgasmic eyes after eating pb pancakes, mmmmm...lol

On that matter... I will try anything new!
L.O.L.

MAX
08-14-2006, 03:57 AM
mmmmm....bacon grease....lol. :D

You little dehvuhlll... lol http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/teufel/devil-smiley-093.gif http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/liebe/love-smiley-080.gif

blonddgirl777
08-14-2006, 09:33 AM
...:rolleyes: <--- these are orgasmic eyes after eating pb pancakes, mmmmm...lol

Try this for an orgasmic smile :D

Mr. Blonddgirl's French Crêpe (or thin pancakes):

In a blender, put;
1 cup Flour
1 1/2 Cup Milk
2 or 3 Eggs
1 Tea spoon Salt
2 Table spoons Melted Butter
2-3 drops Vanilla (optional)

Blend at low speed until smooth and let sit in the frig. for about 1 hour.
In a very hot big frying pan, brush a little bit of butter and spread a THIN layer of that batter... flip until golden.

Spread some "Nutella", put one scoop of ice cream, fold the whole thing, let it melt and... :D :rolleyes: :D :rolleyes: :D :rolleyes: ...!

Do it!

Ally_Kat
08-14-2006, 12:54 PM
I swear, we don't have that here...
French cuisine sucks! :p

http://www.c-els.com/sfCatalog.asp?sn=E060520020030039&pchid=60957

I suggest the Quick Grits over the instant. The instant has some neat flavors, but it's not the same as the Quick Grits.

RuzDNailz
08-15-2006, 11:33 PM
I remember those oatmeals they used to have years ago where you can add the toppings. The sugary sweet strawberry sauce was awesome! But maple syrup or brown sugar with oatmeal is like bread to butter. They're perfect for each other. I've never had grits but I can't find a place that serves them. Porridge is good, but it takes hours to digest.

blonddgirl777
08-16-2006, 10:05 AM
http://www.c-els.com/sfCatalog.asp?sn=E060520020030039&pchid=60957

I suggest the Quick Grits over the instant. The instant has some neat flavors, but it's not the same as the Quick Grits.

I went for grocery yesterday and looked for that...
We really don't have it!

I would have to mail order it but I think I will pass.
I already have pretty good receipes for starchy breakfasts. :p

SensibleShoes
08-16-2006, 01:52 PM
I used to make them for lunch all by themself. Butter, salt, pepper - yum. If you like mashed potatoes, I don't understand why you wouldn't like grits, unless you object to the texture. Which is what I love about 'em.

I have a recipe for a breakfast casserole that calls for cooked grits stirred into the egg mixture - with crumbled up sausage in it. And boatloads of cheddar. Remember those old recipes where you poured beaten egg & milk over bread to make a "strada"? This just replaces the bread w/ Grits. It's GOOOOOOOOOD.

CROWBAR
08-16-2006, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by SensibleShoes
I used to make them for lunch all by themself. Butter, salt, pepper - yum. If you like mashed potatoes, I don't understand why you wouldn't like grits, unless you object to the texture. Which is what I love about 'em.

I have a recipe for a breakfast casserole that calls for cooked grits stirred into the egg mixture - with crumbled up sausage in it. And boatloads of cheddar. Remember those old recipes where you poured beaten egg & milk over bread to make a "strada"? This just replaces the bread w/ Grits. It's GOOOOOOOOOD.

I'll be right over for breakfast. What's for dessert?:D

Little Texan
08-16-2006, 02:30 PM

Why not share it in the recipe thread? Sounds good

SensibleShoes
08-16-2006, 02:47 PM
We have a recipe thread?

Ally_Kat
08-16-2006, 06:37 PM
Shoes, you need to send that recipe my way.

Little Texan
08-16-2006, 11:59 PM
We have a recipe thread?

Yeah, I'll bump it up for you.