PDA

View Full Version : iPod? MP3 player? What's your take or preference?

RuzDNailz
08-13-2006, 03:48 AM
I was very tempted to scoop up an iPod unit and join the craze after my no-good P.O.S. Lyra decided to croak on me YET AGAIN! I will never touch an RCA MP3 player again! Period! I don't care if it's free or as a prize, I will smash it up and spare it the misery it deserves.
Okay, got that out of my head.

Now, I scooped up an iRiver model and had better luck with it. Works FAR better than the Lyra but I decided last minute to pass on an iPod.
I backed out last minute because those kinds of players have one big downside to me. Batteries. I learned that iPods are great devices, but if that battery dies, you gotta dispute it out with Apple and send the whole unit out and pay a certain fee for a replacement. Now, I hope that Apple fixed that flaw and made them available in retail stores.

I chose the super-compact iRiver because one AAA battery is good enough for 15 hours and I can always go to the Dollar Store and pay a buck for some cheap-ass batteries that will last a while. I load up my CVH tunes and crank them up while riding the 18-window coupe.
They're cheaper and less discreet to carry around everywhere.

What's your take on this subject? Do you prefer iPods or the alternatives?

MERRYKISSMASS2U
08-13-2006, 03:54 AM
iPod or nothing.

60 gb ipod photo here! THE BEST QUALITY PRODUCTS ARE MADE BY APPLE.

RuzDNailz
08-13-2006, 04:03 AM
Originally posted by MERRYKISSMASS2U
iPod or nothing.

60 gb ipod photo here! THE BEST QUALITY PRODUCTS ARE MADE BY APPLE.

It's funny, though. The VERY first computer I ever used was a Macintosh computer from 1986 and that goes WAYYYY back. The thing I always admired about MACs is the fact that they always came with a soundcard. PCs where a bitch because you had to buy them yourself and install them and go through all the trouble until the early-to mid 90's when PC's where already equipped with them.

*sigh* Seemed like having a sound card was like a luxury back in those days.

MERRYKISSMASS2U
08-13-2006, 04:05 AM
Most PC's today come with an onboard sound card. I never like Macs before OS X.

MERRYKISSMASS2U
08-13-2006, 04:13 AM
Putting in a soundcard was never a hassle for me. All of my computers, besides my laptop, are home made.

RuzDNailz
08-13-2006, 05:51 AM
My older computer was a built one. It gave me problems that are almost too long to list! But I'm cautious now these days. Heck, know what I still got kept in a box? Commodore 64! Now we're talking ultra retro computers!

MERRYKISSMASS2U
08-13-2006, 05:56 AM
Originally posted by RuzDNailz
My older computer was a built one. It gave me problems that are almost too long to list! But I'm cautious now these days. Heck, know what I still got kept in a box? Commodore 64! Now we're talking ultra retro computers!

Home made PCs are so much better because they are cheaper, and are of much higher quality.

RuzDNailz
08-13-2006, 06:00 AM
It's true if you know the person building it for you. Of course, if you are a pro at doing it yourself, then that is a great bonus. I wish I can do something like that.

MERRYKISSMASS2U
08-13-2006, 06:09 AM
It's true if you know the person building it for you. Of course, if you are a pro at doing it yourself, then that is a great bonus. I wish I can do something like that.

It's really something that doesn't require a lot of skill. The only "hard part" is making sure that all your pieces are compatible before you but it. Then all you have to do is some basic screwdriver work. Working somewhat carefully too.

Coyote
08-13-2006, 06:35 AM
I was very tempted to scoop up an iPod unit and join the craze after my no-good P.O.S. Lyra decided to croak on me YET AGAIN! I will never touch an RCA MP3 player again! Period! I don't care if it's free or as a prize, I will smash it up and spare it the misery it deserves.
Okay, got that out of my head.

Now, I scooped up an iRiver model and had better luck with it. Works FAR better than the Lyra but I decided last minute to pass on an iPod.
I backed out last minute because those kinds of players have one big downside to me. Batteries. I learned that iPods are great devices, but if that battery dies, you gotta dispute it out with Apple and send the whole unit out and pay a certain fee for a replacement. Now, I hope that Apple fixed that flaw and made them available in retail stores.

I chose the super-compact iRiver because one AAA battery is good enough for 15 hours and I can always go to the Dollar Store and pay a buck for some cheap-ass batteries that will last a while. I load up my CVH tunes and crank them up while riding the 18-window coupe.
They're cheaper and less discreet to carry around everywhere.

What's your take on this subject? Do you prefer iPods or the alternatives?

I have a Creative MuVo Tx Mp3 player. Doesn't need a special docking system or a specific program to upload songs with, you just plug it in via USB and it's smaller than the iPod. (The only downside is the 512 MB of space, but I'm for quality than content)

MERRYKISSMASS2U
08-13-2006, 06:47 AM
Originally posted by Coyote
I have a Creative MuVo Tx Mp3 player. Doesn't need a special docking system or a specific program to upload songs with, you just plug it in via USB and it's smaller than the iPod. (The only downside is the 512 MB of space, but I'm for quality than content)

That is nothing. Ipod doesnt require anything special. It works with ephpod, yamipod, gtkpod, etc.... 512 Mb full of 320kbps mp3 files is going to get you nowhere.

Coyote
08-13-2006, 07:35 AM
512 Mb full of 320kbps mp3 files is going to get you nowhere.

At least I don't have a difficulty of choice, music-wise.

MERRYKISSMASS2U
08-13-2006, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by Coyote
At least I don't have a difficulty of choice, music-wise.

With a larger hard drive, their is no choice. Drag and drop it all! Although my music won't fit on a 60 gb :(

RuzDNailz
08-13-2006, 03:47 PM
I went through 3 different RCA Lyra players in a span of 5 months!
iRiver has been like a charm so far (knock on wood). I was shocked at that little cube player. Darn thing is almost as small as a sugar cube!
I like the compact players but that is plainly going overboard.

Ally_Kat
08-13-2006, 06:59 PM
I got a free black 4GB ipod nano from the bank over here. I'm pretty happy with it, but I'm not that picky. I do wish the storage was a little bigger though, even though I've only filled half of it so far. But that's me being conservative with what I want on there.

That Zen Neeon2 does look pretty spiffy. But I'm a girl and pretty things attract my attention.

Ally_Kat
08-13-2006, 07:02 PM
With a larger hard drive, their is no choice. Drag and drop it all!

Not everyone can or is willing to pay $400 for a music player. I sure in the hell wouldn't. If I'm paying $400, that thing better be a player, a phone, AND have an FM tuner in it. Ipods don't and that and price is why if I was to buy one, it wouldn't be an ipod.

VAN HLN CA
08-13-2006, 08:14 PM
The next round of iPods are to offer a 100 Gig. Thats gonna make it a no brainer. You can intsall a mini OSX core on the drive making it a pocket computer. The ones now can be formatted with OSX too but most people leave it as is.

Never had any battery issues or problems with any of them and reformatted a 30 HP Photo version with new firmware without issues.

MERRYKISSMASS2U
08-13-2006, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by Ally_Kat
Not everyone can or is willing to pay $400 for a music player. I sure in the hell wouldn't. If I'm paying $400, that thing better be a player, a phone, AND have an FM tuner in it. Ipods don't and that and price is why if I was to buy one, it wouldn't be an ipod.

400 bucks is nothing if the device provides YEARS of enjoyment.

RuzDNailz
08-13-2006, 11:19 PM
Most banks were doing that with the iPod promotion. I was offered a iPod shuffle by one and turned it down. 512MB for an iPod is absolute peanuts. No screen, no large memory, no bells and whistles equal not worth a penny. iPods are still evolving even as we speak.

Ally_Kat
08-13-2006, 11:26 PM
400 bucks is nothing if the device provides YEARS of enjoyment.

Maybe not to you, but to me it is. 400 bucks is a waste of money for a device that I can go into Best Buy and get something with the same stated storage space and function, even better and even more functions, for a fraction of the price. I mean, hell, read the specs on some of the players against the ipod. You can fit more songs on some of the other players that have the same storage space because the ipod's programs take up more space. So really you're paying extra money because of the name and you're getting less space.

Just because it's the "in" one doesn't make it the best.

And why should I pay $20+ extra after paying the $400 so I can charge the thing without pluging it into my computer? Especially with how the battery fails the expected life expectancy.

MERRYKISSMASS2U
08-13-2006, 11:39 PM
I mean, hell, read the specs on some of the players against the ipod. You can fit more songs on some of the other players that have the same storage space because the ipod's programs take up more space.

I can't believe how wrong you are. Do you know what a codec is? Read up on it. A 128 kbps mp3 file is a lot smaller than a 320 or V 0 encoded LAME MP3. Bigger harddrive = more space, regardless of what the bastards say. Apple says that I can fit 15000 songs on my ipod..... BULLSHIT. I'm going to be lucky if I break 7. The click wheel alone is worth the premium price of the ipod. Plus, apple is quality. I don't care if it's in or not; it's the best regardless. iPod is a bit limited on functions, but who needs an FM tuner when I've got a 60gb ipod in my pocket? The battery fails? Big deal. Return it and get a new one. My ipod died after a lifetime of use. I told apple, and they sent out a brand spanking new one for free. I didn't even have a warranty. I trust them.

You can keep your iWannabe and your space ideas.

www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Codec
www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LAME
www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lossy
www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_Drive
www.en.wikipedia/org/wiki/Byte
www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MP3

Please feel free to comment on this when you've mastered this information.

MERRYKISSMASS2U
08-13-2006, 11:48 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fine_print this is useful too.

Even the fucking user interface is awesome on the ipod compared to every other player. the itunes software is second to NONE.

# Song capacity is based on four minutes per song and 128-Kbps AAC encoding...... ok. Who the fuck rips CDs in 128 kbits in 2006? That is what I downloaded in the 90s over a modem! This is the age of FLAC and downloading operating systems. Don't give me 128kbps bullshit.

Even the ipod nano rules. It's the most advanced flash memory based device out there.

Let's look at the "competition"....

http://www.creative.com/products/mp3/zenvisionm/

This is a 30 GB player, and it can supposedly hold as much as my 60 GBer. This is magic! This is because my ipod's "software" is too big! The ipod's config+OS is maybe 50mg. That is REALLY going to sway the data.

Lookie here! The competition uses this as a typical song: 4 Based on 4 minutes per song at 64kbps WMA..

BULLSHIT. If you think 128kbps is bad, forget 64. Don't try to talk tech if you don't know what you're talking about.

Ally_Kat
08-14-2006, 12:24 AM
*yawn*

You done sucking Ipod's dick yet?

Oh, and hate to break your heart -- it wasn't a brand spanking new ipod they sent you. It was a refurbished one in new packaging. That's what you get if it crashes or if the battery dies. I was told that little revelation by someone who works in the apple store over here. Interesting stories I've heard.

I know all about tech and I read up all about it back when I thought I was buying one. But you -- you fail at reading comprehension. Before I put anything on my Nano there was a hell of a lot used for the actual Nano programs that make it work. That's taking away a good amount of songs I can fit on there compared to the other players people I know have.

The fact of the matter is that there are other players with better screens, better battery life, and had larger capacity available sooner and less expensive than the ipod. I mean, hell, the battery dies in half the time if you have the backlight set for even 2 seconds and we're praising a click wheel? Who gives a shit about a click wheel?

And who needs an FM tuner with even 60GBs in their pocket? Me, that's who! There are talk shows, news radio, and sports -- all I can't listen to while I'm traveling around with my ipod because it doesn't have an FM tuner. I guess I have to carry around my walkman with me if I want to tune into 1010wins and find out why I've been standing on a platform for 30 minutes without a train. People have different needs. Just because they're not your needs doesn't mean they're not the needs of other people or bad function on an MP3 player.

I want an FM tuner and don't want to pay over 50 bucks to have it. You want to use all your space to hold FLAC files. To each his own. Although I still don't get why everyone says 128kbps is so bad. Sounds perfect to me. But I guess we all have our priorities, just like my money priorities isn't to waste 400 bucks on an mp3 player.

MERRYKISSMASS2U
08-14-2006, 12:26 AM
*yawn*
Oh, and hate to break your heart -- it wasn't a brand spanking new ipod they sent you. It was a refurbished one in new packaging.

In some cases, yes. In mine, no. It doesn't really matter. You're just angry because you stupid and wrong.

Ally_Kat
08-14-2006, 12:30 AM
You're just angry because you stupid and wrong.

BWAHAHAAHAHAHAH! Yeah, that's the reason :D

Who said anything about being angry...or wrong for that matter? Just face it. You got caught failing at reading comprehension and reacted to something I didn't say at all. It's okay. We won't tell anybody ;)

blonddgirl777
08-14-2006, 12:37 AM
... THE BEST QUALITY PRODUCTS ARE MADE BY APPLE.

:D

MERRYKISSMASS2U
08-14-2006, 12:47 AM
Originally posted by blonddgirl777
:D

It's true. I would buy a Mac right now but I already have 2 awesome pcs.... and I always end up using on, while the other gathers dust. My next pc is going to be a mac, no question.