PDA

View Full Version : Bill Cowher Countdown?

POJO_Risin
08-13-2006, 09:47 PM
Oh, if only Lou were still posting here...

Well...the rumors are starting...and this needs a whole new thread...

so...what do you all think?

Is Bill Cowher coaching his last season as a Steeler head coach?

and...if he DOES come back?

for who?

Initially...I would say Cleveland...but they seem set...

next...Carolina...

but they seem set...

so...what's the deal?

done for good?

not done at all?

anyone?

and...who would take over?

Unchainme
08-13-2006, 09:53 PM
If he came to Cleveland?

What a confusing time it would be to be a Browns Fan.

Having your Arch Rival coming over to coach your team?

Its like Having Woody deciding to Coach Michigan...

I know he played for the Browns, and even coached us for a little bit, Just would seem odd, Because his image to me is now him as The Arch Rival.

I wouldn't mind him though, He's a great coach no question, Just would be odd as fuck.

POJO_Risin
08-13-2006, 09:59 PM
I think it was more serious in a lot of others minds than his...

and I do think if he retires...it would be for good...

Romeo would have to really fucking blow ass for the next 2 years for Cowher to get a shot...

but you never know...

personally...Pittsburgh should do whatever it takes...period...

my big question would be who's next...

would it be a young guy with potential...to have another long reign?

or someone on that staff...that's established?

VAN HLN CA
08-13-2006, 10:04 PM
After Marty falls short again. i see Cowher in the SD system with its D and a good coach for Rivers and LT ala Ben/Bus.

POJO_Risin
08-13-2006, 10:08 PM
Funny...when I was typing the initial post...I was thinking San Diego...

but...

he just built a house here...and the thinking is that he'll take a front office job...retire...

or be a star on TV...

Unchainme
08-13-2006, 10:14 PM
Cowher with The Chargers would've been great.

Though Now that the Chargers gave up on Brees, That made me pissed off at them.

Marty Schottenheimer sucks balls, and is overrated as hell. The Worlds Greatest Choke Artist, What a joke.

Va Beach VH Fan
08-14-2006, 07:21 AM
Well, for the first time, I have to admit that it's possible....

Maybe not after this season, but after the 2007 season...

His family is moving down to NC, actually his wife and youngest daughter are... His two oldest daughters are already at Princeton...

That should be a pretty good indicator that the writing may be on the wall...

Now if he does go, he won't go anywhere for at least a couple of years...

After that, he won't be able to stay away from the game, he'll be back....

POJO_Risin
08-15-2006, 10:32 PM
It all depends on who gives him what...IE...he will find himself in a studio...

Now I think Cowher will have a sniff at another job...but...it would have to a be a couple of teams...

I don't think he'll just go back...

fryingdutchman
01-05-2007, 08:15 AM
PITTSBURGH - The Pittsburgh Steelers will begin a coaching search Friday to replace departing coach Bill Cowher, a person familiar with Cowher's status told The Associated Press on Thursday night, speaking on condition of anonymity because the coach's departure had not been officially announced.

Cowher called owner Dan Rooney earlier in the day to tell him of his decision, and the team announced a Friday afternoon news conference.

There was no chance Cowher would walk away from the Steelers without winning a Super Bowl. That became obvious during a long succession of frustrating near-misses that left him one of the most successful NFL coaches without a championship ring. Once he finally accomplished the goal he set for himself back in 1992, saying goodbye proved much easier.

The 49-year-old Cowher, one of the NFL's most recognizable faces and successful coaches for 15 seasons, has weighed resigning since shortly after the Steelers finally won the Super Bowl in February.

Once Cowher leaves, one of the NFL's rarest events will occur _ a Steelers coaching search. They have had only two coaches since 1969, when they still were playing in Pitt Stadium: Chuck Noll (23 seasons) and Cowher. The Baltimore/Indianapolis Colts have had 15 coaches during that time.

Cowher has talked of wanting to spend more time with his family, especially now that they are living in a new home in Raleigh, N.C., where he and wife Kaye attended North Carolina State. Cowher's two oldest daughters are at Princeton and the youngest has only 2 1/2 years of high school remaining, time Cowher apparently doesn't want to spend away from her.

While Cowher would be resigning with one season left on his contract, there is no indication he would retire from pro football. He said he is not weary of coaching or dealing with players.

"Do I looked burned out?" Cowher asked at a recent news conference.

Cowher, who led the Steelers to the playoffs 10 times, the AFC title game six times and the Super Bowl twice, met with Rooney and team president Art Rooney II on Tuesday and asked for several days to weigh his future plans following an 8-8 season. There was an understanding a decision would be made quickly because the Steelers don't want any top candidates accepting other jobs before talking to them.

While the Steelers would have given Cowher until next week to make up his mind, he decided not to make them wait and called Dan Rooney on Thursday.

Two strong contenders to replace Cowher _ Steelers offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt and offensive line coach Russ Grimm _ already are in place and are interviewing with other teams. Whisenhunt met Thursday with the Atlanta Falcons.

The team would interview at least one minority candidate, possibly more _ Dan Rooney himself led the NFL to adopt rules that minorities would be considered for league openings. The Steelers also are expected to talk with several candidates outside the organization, even though several players are lobbying for Grimm or Whisenhunt to get the job.

There have been numerous signs pointing to Cowher's departure, beginning when he told the team last spring he was uncertain of his plans past this season. Contract extension talks last summer did not progress past the preliminary stage.

Also, his season-ending meetings Monday with his players, which often last hours and hours, were much shorter and more emotional than usual. No players were seen in the Steelers' complex past mid-afternoon and Pro Bowl guard Alan Faneca said it was obvious Cowher looked ready to leave. Joey Porter said he almost cried.

The Steelers gave Cowher the option of returning next season and completing his current contract, but that arrangement probably wouldn't have satisfied either side.

Cowher, if he coaches again, has signaled he wants to be one of the league's highest-paid coaches. His current $4 million-plus salary is about half that of Mike Holmgren, whose Seahawks lost to the Steelers in the Super Bowl last season. The Steelers have given no indication they are willing to pay any coach an $8 million salary.

The Steelers also wouldn't welcome a lame-duck coaching situation because it would create a season-long distraction, and ongoing speculation about who Cowher's successor would be.

Cowher is the NFL's longest-tenured coach with his current team; Tennessee's Jeff Fisher, with 13 seasons, is second. Cowher, a former Pittsburgh area high school player, is third among active coaches in regular-season victories with a 149-90-1 record, and fourth overall with a 161-99-1 record counting postseason games. When Cowher was hired in January 1992 at age 34, he said his only goal was to put a fifth Super Bowl trophy inside the Steelers' trophy case at Three Rivers Stadium. It took him 14 years and two Steelers stadiums to do so, but he finally managed it.

If he wants to return to a sideline immediately, with another team and at a much higher salary, that team would have to work out compensation with the Steelers because Cowher is under contract for 2007. But several players said they were certain that if Cowher didn't coach the Steelers next season, he would not coach any team.

Ozzy Fudd
01-05-2007, 09:01 AM
Just Retire an enjoy life. :D

MAX
01-05-2007, 09:10 AM
Later to him and what's going to be the rest of the NFL coaches shuffle?

Why the fuck was Mora JUNIOR fired from the ATL?

Who's Grammy Al goona hire to replace Shell and who really cares?

ODShowtime
01-05-2007, 06:47 PM
what a shitty day this turned out to be

Va Beach VH Fan
01-06-2007, 11:25 AM
I don't know if I'd describe it as shitty...

The man did 15 years, I can see where he needed a break....

My thoughts are mostly are on my blog (yeah, shameless plug.... ;) )....

ALinChainz
01-06-2007, 12:36 PM
VA ... that little ticker in your sig is freakin' killer.

Va Beach VH Fan
01-06-2007, 02:04 PM
Yeah, I wasn't aware they had something like that until I started farting around with the options at Feedburner...

ODShowtime
01-08-2007, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
I don't know if I'd describe it as shitty...

The man did 15 years, I can see where he needed a break....

Well, I'm from PA. I'm not used to coaching changes.

It was a great day for Cowher, and he deserved it.

Va Beach VH Fan
01-08-2007, 07:54 PM
Well, I'm from PA too, it happens to everyone eventually....

knuckleboner
01-08-2007, 07:58 PM
i've heard more than one person around here say that there's a solid chance dan synder throws some money cowher's way. now, as a skins fan, i love joe gibbs and all, but...

Roth & Roll
01-12-2007, 01:09 AM
Cowher will not be coaching anywhere next season since he is still under contract to the Steelers until the end of the 2007-2008 season.

My guess is that he ends up either at ESPN or CBS next season and resurfaces in either Washington or Carolina when he is free from his contract with Pittsburgh.

It's pretty clear that Cowher wants his big pay-day; and like many of his ex-players; he is finding out that the big pay-day won't be coming from Pittsburgh or the Rooney family.

TAKIN WHISKEY
01-12-2007, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by Roth & Roll
Cowher will not be coaching anywhere next season since he is still under contract to the Steelers until the end of the 2007-2008 season.

My guess is that he ends up either at ESPN or CBS next season and resurfaces in either Washington or Carolina when he is free from his contract with Pittsburgh.

It's pretty clear that Cowher wants his big pay-day; and like many of his ex-players; he is finding out that the big pay-day won't be coming from Pittsburgh or the Rooney family.

Probably dead on.

TAKIN WHISKEY
01-12-2007, 08:22 PM
He deserves it too.

Va Beach VH Fan
01-14-2007, 01:06 PM
Wow, I'm a little surprised....

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/6369102

Wisenhunt to take over for Green
Jay Glazer / FOXSports.com
Posted: 6 minutes ago

The Arizona Cardinals have their replacement for the fired Denny Green.

The Cardinals have tabbed Ken Wisenhunt as their new head coach, FOX NFL SUNDAY and FOXSports.com has learned.

The former Steelers offensive coordinator has spent the last two days trying to nail down a deal and after working all night they finally got a deal done.

Wisenhunt was already on the phone Sunday morning with a handful of assistant coaching options, although he's likely to keep much if not all of the Cardinals defensive staff.

Wisenhunt also interviewed for the Dolphins and Steelers openings but it soon became clear that the Steelers were not jumping at a replacement for Bill Cowher.

BigBadBrian
01-20-2007, 07:17 AM
Originally posted by knuckleboner
i've heard more than one person around here say that there's a solid chance dan synder throws some money cowher's way. now, as a skins fan, i love joe gibbs and all, but...

I think the game of Pro Football has passed old Joe by.

:gulp:

POJO_Risin
01-20-2007, 03:56 PM
Next year, my guess is that there will be four or five high prominent teams fighting for Cowher...

Washington, New York Giants, Cleveland, Carolina and possibly Dallas.

He could end up making more than any other coach in the NFL...

and the Rooneys were going to pay him 6.5 million...

it wasn't about the money...

Va Beach VH Fan
01-20-2007, 04:49 PM
Uh, if SI is right, this will send shockwaves through Steelers nation....

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/football/nfl/01/20/steelers.coach/index.html

Search over
Steelers choose Vikes' Tomlin to succeed Cowher
Posted: Saturday January 20, 2007 1:57PM; Updated: Saturday January 20, 2007 4:18PM

By Michael Silver, SI.com

Mike Tomlin, defensive coordinator for the Minnesota Vikings, has been chosen as the Pittsburgh Steelers' new head coach, SI.com has learned.

The official announcement is expected to come sometime in the next two days.

Tomlin, 34, impressed the Steelers during the interview process with his organization skills, intelligence and grasp of the game, according to a source familiar with the coaching search.

He would succeed Bill Cowher, who resigned Jan. 5 after 15 seasons as the Steelers' coach.

Tomlin beat out Russ Grimm, 47, a Steelers assistant for six seasons and their assistant head coach for three, who had been considered the front-runner. The other finalist for the job was Chicago Bears defensive coordinator Ron Rivera.

Before joining the Vikings a year ago, Tomlin had spent five years as a defensive coach with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Before that, he was a college assistant at Cincinnati, Arkansas State, Memphis and Virginia Military Institute.

Tomlin would become only the third Steelers head coach in 38 years and the NFL's sixth African-American head coach.

Va Beach VH Fan
01-20-2007, 04:50 PM
But ESPN is saying it's not true...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2732197

Grimm, Tomlin, Rivera still in running for Steelers jobESPN.com news services

PITTSBURGH -- The Steelers have narrowed their wish list of candidates to replace Bill Cowher to three names -- Russ Grimm, Ron Rivera and Mike Tomlin -- but have not yet made a decision on their next head coach.

A report on Sports Illustrated's Web site, SI.com, on Saturday indicated that Tomlin had been chosen as the successor to Cowher, but the Vikings' defensive coordinator told ESPN's Chris Mortensen that no decision had been made.

"It is untrue," Tomlin said of the report. "I have no idea where it's coming from. I have not talked to the Rooneys today."

Sources also told ESPN.com's John Clayton that the report was incorrect, and the Steelers are not expected to make a decision Saturday.

The team also did not confirm the report Saturday.

"We have heard all the rumors, and we have nothing to confirm at this point," Steelers spokesman Dave Lockett said, according to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

Tomlin and Grimm, the only remaining in-house candidate, both had their second interviews earlier this week. The Steelers can't talk to Rivera again until the Bears are eliminated from the playoffs. Chicago plays New Orleans in the NFC Championship Game on Sunday.

The Steelers' diligence in finding Cowher's successor cost them offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt, a move that leaves offensive line coach Grimm as the possible front-runner.

"We are pleased with the progress of our search to date,'' Steelers president Art Rooney II said Monday in a statement issued by the team. "We now will move into the second interview phase and we are confident that each of the candidates on our short list will be excellent head coaches in the NFL. It is our task to determine which one is the best candidate for the Pittsburgh Steelers at this point in time.

"Our time frame remains as it was in the beginning. We will conclude the search when we have found the best coach for the Pittsburgh Steelers."

Whisenhunt, one of the NFL's top offensive coaches, took the Arizona Cardinals' job Sunday rather than waiting to see if he would be promoted by Pittsburgh. He will be officially introduced by the Cardinals at a news conference Tuesday.

While Whisenhunt was widely considered around the NFL to be Cowher's heir apparent, the Steelers gave no such indication after Cowher resigned Jan. 5. Also, they apparently didn't make a counteroffer to persuade Whisenhunt to stay.

Grimm also interviewed with the Cardinals, but unlike Whisenhunt, didn't get a second interview.

Tomlin had an excellent interview with the Steelers and, like Cowher in 1992, is an on-the-rise candidate despite being only 34 and having minimal experience as an NFL coordinator. Tomlin took over the Vikings' defense this season.

Hiring Grimm, however, would provide the Steelers continuity from one coaching regime to another and would allow them to keep most of their assistant coaches. All are under contract for next season, but a coach hired from outside the organization would likely want to choose his own staff.

Even if Grimm takes over, Whisenhunt's departure is expected to create some changes in the Steelers' offense.

Whisenhunt may take quarterbacks coach Mark Whipple with him as offensive coordinator, meaning the two coaches who have closely worked with quarterback Ben Roethlisberger the last three seasons would be gone.

The 47-year-old Grimm, a Pittsburgh-area native and former Pitt star, won three Super Bowls as a Redskins offensive lineman. He is a finalist for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and has clearly had the respect of the Steelers in his six seasons as an assistant. He was also a Redskins assistant from 1992-2000.

POJO_Risin
01-20-2007, 06:54 PM
Yep, and so was the Post Gazette...

I still like the Steelers reply...

"We have nothing to confirm..."

knuckleboner
01-21-2007, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian
I think the game of Pro Football has passed old Joe by.

:gulp:

hard to say. well, only because it's hard to figure out if he's actually coaching. offensive coordinator calls the offensive plays. defensive coordinator calls the defense. line coach coaches the line. etc. etc...

ODShowtime
01-22-2007, 07:46 PM
Tomlin time

POJO_Risin
01-03-2010, 01:25 PM
Decided to pull this old, worthless thread out of the depths of hell...

Cowher is apparently ready to coach...

and an interesting team has cropped up...the Buffalo Bills.

I'll tell you this, if Cowher goes to the Bills...you have to wonder how the Browns didn't get him.

I firmly believe Cowher made some promises to the Rooneys, and the Browns would likely have been on that list...but I can't fathom the Bills weren't as well...

Of course, maybe it was an AFC North thing...not sure...

High Life Man
01-03-2010, 02:31 PM
He'll end up in NC. Fox is on borrowed time.

Waiting a year will only up the ante.

POJO_Risin
01-03-2010, 02:33 PM
Fox wants an extension, and Carolina won't give him one this year...

He's already stated that he and his staff will have a job the second he wants one...and he won't talk about his future in Carolina.

It could happen this year...

Fairwrning
01-03-2010, 02:58 PM
NFL.com Blogs Blog Archive Cowher has contacted potential assistant coaches (http://blogs.nfl.com/2010/01/02/cowher-has-contacted-potential-assistant-coaches/)

POJO_Risin
01-04-2010, 12:29 AM
If the Bears fire Lovie Smith...I'd have to believe that Cowher would jump on that job in a heartbeat...what a great hire, and great fit for Cowher and the Bears...

Chan Gailey is reportedly been contacted for the OC job...he used to hold with Cowher...not sure that is anything but speculation.

I've heard some reports of Jim Haslett for the defensive job...

but of course...all of this is ridiculous to talk about until he takes a job...

Va Beach VH Fan
01-04-2010, 09:24 AM
Is his youngest daughter a senior this year, or is it next year ??

chefcraig
01-04-2010, 09:32 AM
I dunno...with collective-bargaining still up in the air, I don't see some of these teams spending money to buy out their coaches current contracts in order to start over. I'd say that Lovie Smith and Fox will be safe in their jobs. And Buffalo looks shaky. Why wouldn't Cowher simply wait another year until the picture is clearer?

Nickdfresh
01-04-2010, 04:11 PM
There's speculation that he's had more than one interview in Buffalo, and supposedly likes the Bills roster and is comfortable with the teams future. But that's largely been dashed by sources close to him saying he won't leave his broadcasting job on that shitty NBC pregame show unless Tampa or Carolina somehow opens up...

This despite the fact the Bills are (speculatively) offering him anything he wants salary-wise...

Va Beach VH Fan
01-04-2010, 05:11 PM
It's CBS... Adam Schefter said today he now believes that Cowher won't coach again for this year....

chefcraig
01-04-2010, 05:38 PM
It's CBS... Adam Schefter said today he now believes that Cowher won't coach again for this year....

Scheffler also reported some troubling news about the potential lockout, which could effectively doom football as we know it for 2011-12. He and Chris Mortensen were on a recent Sports Center, talking about coaching changes. Here is Mortensen's column about the lock out.

Union: NFL owners want lockout

Rookie wage cap, blood testing, benefit cuts, a nearly 20 percent "giveback" and a work stoppage were prominent in a recent communication that NFL Players Association executive director DeMaurice Smith sent to player representatives in describing a bleak labor negotiation picture.

In an e-mail obtained last week by ESPN, Smith wrote to player reps: "We proposed to address the rookie issue with a 'Proven Performance' plan that would redirect $200 million from rookie cost to veterans, cap rookies to three-year contracts so 'busts' were out of the league quickly, and provided incentives to lowest spending teams to remain competitive by forcing money back to the vets on those teams."

Union sources believe the likelihood of a rookie hard cap being in place by 2011 is remote because, as Smith inferred again, management is preparing for a lockout that season.

However, a management source said that owners are considering making a proposal that would make a rookie cap effective immediately, in April, as an addendum to the current labor agreement, even if the two sides fail to reach agreement on an extension. The source said management would like to discuss redistributing the $200 million in rookie savings in 2010 to endow a fund for NFL retired players.

The two sides are scheduled to have an eighth negotiating session on Tuesday.

Sources also said that the union has calculated that owners spent just 51 percent of revenues on player costs in 2009, in spite of the belief that they are mandated to spend almost 60 percent. One union source said the 60 percent player costs were a "best-case" assumption that teams would spend almost equally under the salary cap.

Consequently, the union believes a management proposal for an 18 percent "give-back" in the first year of a new agreement in the form of almost $2.5 billion credits is unnecessary.

On the blood testing issue, sources say it would pertain primarily to performance-enhancing drugs. A management source said that the league's position on blood testing -- via a "pin prick to the finger" -- would be pushed only if scientific labs create a successful test for human growth hormone. Currently, there is no such proven test.

In his e-mail to player reps, Smith said: "As you will see, we made two significant offers to the NFL to demonstrate a willingness to negotiate. First, as you know, we proposed that they provide detailed profit [or lack thereof] information justifying their request for nearly a 20 percent give-back by the players. We signed the financial confidentiality agreement and received a single sheet of paper. It contained no profit/loss, cash flow, profit margin, team valuation, team salary or breakdown of 'where the money goes.'

"In the absence of any supporting financial information, we also offered to discussing the extension of the current deal for six years. We noted that player costs have remained relatively stable."

Smith went on to say: "In addition to what I have shared with you earlier, the NFL wants to: eliminate the retirement plan for current players and replace it with a defined contribution plan, make current players pay for any deficiency in the retirement plan as it affects former players [and relieve them of this obligation], and include blood tests for players.

"The NFL responded that 'even if' they gave us profit information, they believed that we would not agree to their demands. They indicated that they were ready for an uncapped year and ready for any work stoppage. There has been no formal proposal for adding extra games.

"I will keep our scheduled next dates for CBA meetings. We will continue to negotiate. However, the message I first brought you nearly a year ago remains the same: This is not about CBA negotiation, it is about one side preparing for a lockout since late 2007."

Smith goes on to list the steps he thinks the league has been taking in anticipation of a lockout.

"1. Hiring hockey's lockout guru (Bob Batterman) in 2008," his e-mail states. "2. Attempts to extinguish Judge Doty's jurisdiction (Vick Case); 3. Securing guaranteed TV money (Direct TV, NBC and others) to fund the lockouts; 4. American Needle Case: a win (in U.S. Supreme Court) eliminates de-certification; 5. This proposal; Steps 6 and 7. Divide the players and lock them out."

He concludes the e-mail with "Thank you for being leaders -- De"

In reaction, a management executive said, "Rather than debate Mr Smith's description of our proposal, we will continue to work to achieve an agreement that will support future growth in the game and that is fair to current players, retired players and clubs. We will work as hard as possible to accomplish that goal."

NFL union: Owners taking steps toward lockout - ESPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4793411)

twonabomber
01-04-2010, 06:29 PM
local NBC station says Marty Schottenheimer and Buffalo are talking.

Nickdfresh
01-04-2010, 09:41 PM
local NBC station says Marty Schottenheimer and Buffalo are talking.

The Bills just made the uninspired, easy and weak choice to hire Buddy Nix as their new GM to replace the previous marketing and promotions guy they had running the football operation--Russ Brandon. Nix and Schottenheimer are good friends, but I'd be very surprised if this happens. Firstly, Bills owner Ralph Wilson doesn't like Marty and has some sort of old school AFC grudge against him (Schottenheimer played linebacker for the Bills in the 60s). Secondly, Schottenheimer has said he's enjoying retirement and just doesn't have the drive to coach anymore...

The latest rumor is that Brian Billick as all but hired and his interview this week is all but a formality...

POJO_Risin
01-05-2010, 01:01 AM
Is his youngest daughter a senior this year, or is it next year ??

She graduated in '09...

...and if I remember correctly, she declared on a hoops ride to Wofford College in SC...

Which is likely why he's probably in the arena to coach again. I remember an article in the paper down here in '07 when she said something about him being able to coach after she graduates high school.

He's probably not in any hurry though, to return.

Oh, and the Schefter deal...he said on sportscenter...that "TODAY," Cowher likely wouldn't return to coaching. Going by what Cowher has said all along, he won't discuss any job in which there is a coach in place.

I firmly believe if the Carolina or Chicago job opens up...Cowher will be up for both. I also think that Chicago job is the key. If it opens up, I think they'll contact John Fox. If he says no, Cowher will be the guy there...but I do believe Cowher is holding out for the job here...

or perhaps Tampa next year. Someone said it best, "I don't think when Bill Cowher left the Steelers, that Buffalo was the place he wanted to land."

I agree. He'll either take a premium job, or a job in a warm city...just a guess.

I still think Carolina ultimately is the job he wants.

Nickdfresh
01-05-2010, 04:20 PM
The guy at ESPN that is supposedly close to the Steelers and Cowher is supposedly saying that Cowher might be interested in the Bills if the price is right (as in really high)...

Nickdfresh
01-08-2010, 01:01 PM
Bills Coach Search: Tony Dungy Says Bill Cowher Wants to Get Back Into Coaching
Posted By: Athan Kompos 1 hr ago

BUFFALO, N.Y. - In an interview with 2 On Your Side, former Indianapolis Colts head coach and current NBC Sports broadcaster Tony Dungy said former Steelers head coach Bill Cowher wants to get back into coaching.

"I run across Bill now and again in New York, and I know he would like to get back into the NFL," said Dungy.

Dungy's comment comes one day after Marty Schottenheimer told Sirus Radio that there is a "reasonable possibility" Cowher will end up coaching the Bills.

"He is very close with Marty Schottenheimer. Marty has some experience there in Buffalo. I think that it could happen," said Dungy.

Bills fans in support of Cowher coaching the team are urging Owner Ralph Wilson to work out a deal with the Super Bowl winning coach. A group of people have raised enough money to buy a billboard calling for Cowher to get the job. It will be placed on the 190 in Buffalo.

On Thursday, Bills General Manager Buddy Nix and CEO Russ Brandon were in Minneapolis to interview Vikings defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier.

Brian Billick, former Baltimore Ravens head coach, has not been contacted by the Bills but told 2 On Your Side's Adam Benigni on Thursday that he interested in the job and would not have a problem working with Buddy Nix.

NBC Sports Pro Football Talk website reports Jim Harbaugh, head coach at Stanford University is a stealth candidate for the Bills and Oakland Raiders coaching jobs, according to a league source.

wgrz.com | Buffalo, NY | Bills Coach Search: Tony Dungy Says Bill Cowher Wants to Get Back Into Coaching (http://www.wgrz.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=73387&catid=37)