PDA

View Full Version : Ya want your CDs or DVDs to last forever? Standard ones won't...

Hardrock69
08-13-2006, 09:59 PM
Check these out.

They are called "Archival Quality" and the burn-in part of the disc is made of 99.99% 24-karat gold.

CDs have been tested in accelerated tests and are estimated that data integrity will last for 300 years.

Kodak Preservation media DVDs have been estimated to last 80 to 100 years.

I just found this out...thought I would pass it along to all you peeps:

http://www.kmpmedia.com/kodak-gold.html

EbDawson
08-14-2006, 09:58 AM
Interesting. Guess I can pick up some and put the 6-pack on them to pass along to my descendents. Didn't see a price on that webpage, what do those things run? And how long does a "normal" CD last?

Hardrock69
08-14-2006, 10:02 AM
What is this doing in house of music?

I posted this concerning data storage....not music.

EbDawson
08-14-2006, 10:05 AM
Well it's still interesting. :D

PHOENIX
08-14-2006, 05:25 PM
CD rot (or DVD rot) is a common phrase describing the tendency of CD or DVD disks to become unreadeable within a few years of manufacture. The causes of this effect vary from oxidation of the data carrying layer to ultra-violet light damage and debonding of the adhesive used to stick the layers of the disc together. Since much use is made of CD's and DVD's as backup media, the potential impact of data loss is great.

As a result of CD rot, many data archive experts say that data is safer on a live hard disk,[citation needed] and even more so in redundant hard disk systems such as a RAID. A simple way of circumventing CD rot is to make back up copies of critical information, either to another CD or to a hard disk. One method found to slow down the advent of CD rot is to store CD's in a refrigerator (or even in a freezer) in a sealed bag to prevent icing. This will slow down the chemical reaction which causes the CD to rot.[citation needed]

According to a BBC report[1], music CD's had begun to deteriorate and become unplayable by the 1990s. According to CD manufacturer PDO (Philips-Du Pont Optical), the affected discs had been made in the late 1980s and had used a silver coating on its discs instead of the standard gold.

Philips communication manager Jeannet Harpe has declared CD rot to be an isolated problem affecting only an "absolute minority" of cases. PDO has offered to replace any discs thus affected if supplied with the defective disk and proof of purchase.

Seshmeister
08-14-2006, 06:57 PM
Judging by this site, DDLR and the Links it's hard enough to keep data for two years on a hard disk.

A guy I know lost 5 years of pics when his laptop was stolen. Almost no record now of his kids for those 5 years.

Romeo Delight
08-14-2006, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by Seshmeister

A guy I know lost 5 years of pics when his laptop was stolen. Almost no record now of his kids for those 5 years.

What a myth that it is cheaper printing your own pics!

maybe if you just print a select few.

I still use my SLR...it is soooooo cheap to process the film. No way I could print then all, with doubles for seven bucks.

Not to mention the opportunity cost of my time.

What a selling job!

katie
03-07-2007, 10:59 AM
Shaun P wants to know if the Michael Jackson back catalogue has been upgraded to this format yet

Hardrock69
03-07-2007, 02:27 PM
But what you really want to know is if you can suck his shit-coated cock after he ass-rapes you.....
:rolleyes: