PDA

View Full Version : Favourite Iron Maiden Album?

binnie
08-14-2006, 06:13 AM
I am intrigued by people's thoughs on this. Most metalheads would say "Number of the Beast", but if I am honest, I was never a huge fan of that record. I can see that it is a classic, but I hardly ever listen to it.

Which is your fav record, and why?

Mine is "Piece of Mind" - I love every song on that record, it encapsulates the Maiden sound; heavy, varied tempos, galloping bass lines, crazy vocals. Everyone's performance is stella, and it just soars everytime I play it, almost timeless heavy metal.

It also balances the dark side of Maiden with the fun of a rock record very well, always makes me smile, and the production just crackles with energy.

Thoughts please....

Mr Badguy
08-14-2006, 06:54 AM
Very tough.

I`ll pick "Seventh son of a seventh son".

I`m not a great fan of the "sound" of it, but it captures every facet of what makes Maiden great. Catchy three minute rockers like "Can I play with madness", thoughtful lyrics in "Infinite dreams", complex epics ala the title track and the usual amazing guitar work from Murray and Smith.

Their last great album before they (wrongly) stripped their sound back down to basics for the 90`s.

binnie
08-14-2006, 07:06 AM
Originally posted by Mr Badguy

Their last great album before they (wrongly) stripped their sound back down to basics for the 90`s.

I'll agree with that, and it would have been a close second for me.

I love all the songs on that record too - I'm hooked from the opening soft spoken "seaven deady sins, seaven ways to win"....

Fuckin fantastic....

Mr. Vengeance
08-14-2006, 10:28 AM
Threads been done many many times. But as I always say, Piece of Mind is my favorite. Not a bad song on it. Kickass cover art. And it's very nostalgic for me, as I remember the many hours I spent listening to it, album jacket in hand, when I was a teenager. I love it when they bust out Die With Your Boots On at live shows.

Tiki-Tom
08-14-2006, 10:55 AM
Killers or Powerslave for me...The former because it is so full of raw energy, the latter because, to me, it's an almost perfect album right down to the cover art (although I could do without "Losfer Words".) Live, the World Slavery Tour was probably the best show I've ever seen.

Now my girl is the resident Maiden freak ever since way back in the Dianno days. You won't believe this-her faves are neck and neck between Powerslave and The X Factor. She was pretty upset when Bruce left, but quickly embraced Blaze. Besides, Bruce put out some awesome solo work when he was out of Maiden. I wasn't very pleased at first, but after being subjected to it over and over, it grew on me. It was a darker sound not typical of Maiden.

Now Virtual XI-WTF were they thinking?

PHOENIX
08-14-2006, 12:35 PM
Live After Death is their greatest album. Bruce did amazing versions of all of their old songs.

Mr. Vengeance
08-14-2006, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by Tiki-Tom
Killers or Powerslave for me...The former because it is so full of raw energy, the latter because, to me, it's an almost perfect album right down to the cover art (although I could do without "Losfer Words".) Live, the World Slavery Tour was probably the best show I've ever seen.

Now my girl is the resident Maiden freak ever since way back in the Dianno days. You won't believe this-her faves are neck and neck between Powerslave and The X Factor. She was pretty upset when Bruce left, but quickly embraced Blaze. Besides, Bruce put out some awesome solo work when he was out of Maiden. I wasn't very pleased at first, but after being subjected to it over and over, it grew on me. It was a darker sound not typical of Maiden.

Now Virtual XI-WTF were they thinking?

No offense to her, but anyone who actually puts X Factor anywhere near the top of the list, is no Maiden freak.

It's 2nd worst. Right before Virtual XI....

PHOENIX
08-14-2006, 05:20 PM
My friend scored me some Iron Maiden tickets!

Whoohoo i'm going to the show!
:D

Mr Badguy
08-14-2006, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Vengeance
No offense to her, but anyone who actually puts X Factor anywhere near the top of the list, is no Maiden freak.

Although "The X Factor" bombed in the US and UK, it did big business in mainland Europe and South America.

I wans`t keen on it when it came out but now that I`ve had ten years of living with it, it isn`t as bad as it seemed.

The problem is that it goes on too long, around seventy minutes.

If they had cut it down to fifty it would be a lot more digestable (in a musical sense).

I like it better than "No prayer.." or "Fear of the dark" which both sound like retreads of other ideas, "Tailgunner" is "Aces high", "The fugitive" is "The prisoner" etc.

And the stupidity of songs like "Holy smoke", "Bring your daughter...to the slaughter" and "From here to eternity" would never have graced any of their 80`s albums, they kept that kind of stuff for the B sides of singles.

Maybe they went too far in the direction of seriousness with "The X factor" that it caught us off guard when it came out.

Mr. Vengeance
08-14-2006, 06:15 PM

Maybe they went too far in the direction of seriousness with "The X factor" that it caught us off guard when it came out.

No...X Factor just sucked, that's all. It's long, boring, with dumb lyrics (listen to "2 am") and Blaze just can't live up to Bruce. It was just awful, awful stuff. Even Maiden's albums before the split were far better than this tripe.

Tiki-Tom
08-14-2006, 06:31 PM

And the stupidity of songs like "Holy smoke", "Bring your daughter...to the slaughter" and "From here to eternity" would never have graced any of their 80`s albums, they kept that kind of stuff for the B sides of singles.

Well spoken Mr. Badguy,One of the few people who i think really gets that phase of maiden's career.
It was not the same maiden we had been use to.
That was maiden's goal, to go in a new direction.

Tiki-Tom
08-14-2006, 06:46 PM
No...X Factor just sucked, that's all. It's long, boring, with dumb lyrics (listen to "2 am") and Blaze just can't live up to Bruce. It was just awful, awful stuff. Even Maiden's albums before the split were far better than this tripe.

For better or worse, Blaze was not trying to live up to Bruce. He could not sing like Bruce for sure. Unlike Priest with Owens, Maiden didn't want a clone. A lot of people just had it in their own head that no one but Bruce would do. Thinking like that, it sure wouldn't get your approval. Had they have gotten a Bruce clone, people would've still complained. If you go into listening to that album with that mentality, you aren't giving it a fair listen.

mako_kimura
08-14-2006, 06:52 PM
I'm an odd little fucker, I'm stuck between Somewhere In Time and No Prayer For The Dying. I like Brave New World as well, I just can't make up my mind

Tiki-Tom
08-14-2006, 07:11 PM

Trust me. I've known her for years and you won't find a bigger fan of Maiden than her. I personally can take or leave that era, but she happens to love that album for what it is-not Bruce mark II. I'd say that's a pretty loyal fan.

To say she's no Maiden freak, she sure has amassed a tremendous collection over the past 25 years. You wouldn't want to get into a Maiden trivia contest with her-you would not win! She loves metal and she looks like Kate Hudson-WITH boobs! Life's good:p

Coyote
08-14-2006, 07:53 PM
Number Of The Beast.

PHOENIX
08-14-2006, 08:49 PM
Trust me. I've known her for years and you won't find a bigger fan of Maiden than her. I personally can take or leave that era, but she happens to love that album for what it is-not Bruce mark II. I'd say that's a pretty loyal fan.

To say she's no Maiden freak, she sure has amassed a tremendous collection over the past 25 years. You wouldn't want to get into a Maiden trivia contest with her-you would not win! She loves metal and she looks like Kate Hudson-WITH boobs! Life's good:p

Kate Hudson with boobs?

Sounds like you scored big time bro.

frets5150
08-14-2006, 10:07 PM
Piece of Mind Hands Down

:gulp:

Tiki-Tom
08-14-2006, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by PHOENIX
Kate Hudson with boobs?

Sounds like you scored big time bro.

:tits: So you see, if she likes The X Factor, it's cool with me :killer:

theicecreamman
08-14-2006, 10:47 PM
Live After Death is my personal favorite.

rustoffa
08-14-2006, 10:49 PM
Piece Of Mind.

Revelations!

binnie
08-15-2006, 03:59 AM
Looks like Piece of Mind i walking it here...

I'm surprised that there aren't more Powerlsave fans out there....

Mr Badguy
08-15-2006, 06:02 AM
Originally posted by binnie
I'm surprised that there aren't more Powerlsave fans out there....

"Flash of the blade" and "Back in the village" are two of the weakest tracks (by their own standards) Maiden recorded in the 80`s.

"The duellists" is only saved by the amazing instrumental break and "Losfer words", while interesting, goes nowhere.

That said "Powerslave" contains some of their best songs ever, "Aces high", "2 minutes to midnight", the title track and their greatest epic "Rime of the ancient mariner".

Also probably the best sounding album with some awesome playing.

A mixed bag for sure.

Shaun Ponsonby
08-15-2006, 06:16 AM
"Number Of The Beast"
"Seventh Son of a Seventh Son"
"Piece of Mind"

Between those 3.

binnie
08-15-2006, 08:10 AM
"Flash of the blade" and "Back in the village" are two of the weakest tracks (by their own standards) Maiden recorded in the 80`s.

"The duellists" is only saved by the amazing instrumental break and "Losfer words", while interesting, goes nowhere.

That said "Powerslave" contains some of their best songs ever, "Aces high", "2 minutes to midnight", the title track and their greatest epic "Rime of the ancient mariner".

Also probably the best sounding album with some awesome playing.

A mixed bag for sure.

Sounds like you're a huge fan!

I always felt that album was a grower - I like it more every time that I hear it. You are spot on about their 90's output btw....

Matt White
08-15-2006, 08:51 AM
Piece of Mind....then Beast...then PowerSlave.....then Somewhere in Time......

Hellraiser!
08-15-2006, 09:11 AM
Piece of Mind is my favorite!!! Itīs the first album I ever heard in my life...

Songs like Revelations, Sun and Steel, To Tame a Land and Where Eagles Dare rules!!!

My top 5 list:
- Piece of Mind
- Powerslave
- Killers
- Somewhere in Time
- Seventh Son

Mr. Vengeance
08-15-2006, 10:45 AM
For better or worse, Blaze was not trying to live up to Bruce. He could not sing like Bruce for sure. Unlike Priest with Owens, Maiden didn't want a clone. A lot of people just had it in their own head that no one but Bruce would do. Thinking like that, it sure wouldn't get your approval. Had they have gotten a Bruce clone, people would've still complained. If you go into listening to that album with that mentality, you aren't giving it a fair listen.

It has nothing to do with going in with any mindset. The music is terrible, the lyrics dumb...you've got Steve Harris taking bass solos for crying out loud!!!!! And Blaze's voice was in too low a register to make this sound like Maiden. I buy Maiden for Maiden sound, not some run of the mill tunes.

binnie
08-15-2006, 11:03 AM
From th sounds of the three tracks we've had here so far, the new record is gonna be a killer...

August 28th over here....

binnie
08-15-2006, 11:04 AM
Anyone ever see Blaze with them live?

Oh dear......

No disrepsect to him, I like his solo stuff and Wolfsbane, but I don't think I've ever seen a singer struggle more in all my life when he tried t sing the old tunes....

Mr. Vengeance
08-15-2006, 01:02 PM
They were giving away tickets to this tiny little venue in Toronto at the CNExhibition when he was in the band. I couldn't even be bothered to go and get a free ticket to watch them with Blaze. Just awful.....

ace diamond
08-15-2006, 02:06 PM
KILLERS

VAN HLN CA
08-15-2006, 02:17 PM
#1 Killers
#2 Piece of Mind
#3 Live After Death (was at 3rd & 4th nites, Loooong Beach!

Killers is so raw and in your face its like Bon AC/DC, Piece of Mind was Maiden hitting it square. Live, best live album.

binnie
08-15-2006, 03:56 PM
Killers over Iron Maiden?

VAN HLN CA
08-15-2006, 11:10 PM
Sentimental <sp>...

I just spent so many nights with that album flippin so many times it was worn out. Both are choice, Bin were just hessionz

binnie
08-16-2006, 04:28 AM
Originally posted by van hln CA
Sentimental <sp>...

I just spent so many nights with that album flippin so many times it was worn out. Both are choice, Bin were just hessionz

That's cool, sentiment is always important.

I always thought that Iron Maiden lacked the production that it needed to stand the test of time....

Mr Badguy
08-16-2006, 07:13 AM
That's cool, sentiment is always important.

I always thought that Iron Maiden lacked the production that it needed to stand the test of time....

I don`t buy that story.

The only person who ever complained about the production was Steve Harris.

I think it sounds great the way it is, really raw, and there is nothing wrong with the clarity.

binnie
08-16-2006, 03:48 PM
I don`t buy that story.

The only person who ever complained about the production was Steve Harris.

I think it sounds great the way it is, really raw, and there is nothing wrong with the clarity.

It does sound raw, but I feel that it doesn't have the punch that the songs deserved, like "Sin After Sin" by Priest.

Mr Badguy
08-16-2006, 07:55 PM
It does sound raw, but I feel that it doesn't have the punch that the songs deserved, like "Sin After Sin" by Priest.

If that is the case compare it to Saxon and Def Leppard`s first albums productions.

They make "Iron Maiden" sound like a Mutt Lange masterpiece.

binnie
08-17-2006, 04:08 AM
If that is the case compare it to Saxon and Def Leppard`s first albums productions.

They make "Iron Maiden" sound like a Mutt Lange masterpiece.

That's true, there is no comparison. But i don't listen to Saxon or Def Leppard anymore, they ren't CLASSIC bands you know?

I'm not saying Iron Maiden is a bad record, it's stella. I just think it could have benefitted from stronger production.....

Only a nickling regret really

ace diamond
08-28-2006, 05:37 PM
hey, as i said before, killers is my #1 fav IM lp,but I would have to put "Iron Maiden" as my absolute #2.
here are my reasons:

#1:MURDERS IN THE RUE MORGUE

#2:PHANTOM OF THE OPERA

NUFF SAID!

Terry
08-30-2006, 10:22 PM
For me, Powerslave was the band at their absolute peak.

Just a thoroughly excellent album from start to finish. The band was fuckin' COOKING on that one.

Piece Of Mind had two duffers, IMO: Quest For Fire and Sun And Steel. Just never really cared for either of these tunes. They sound like they were rushed and feel weak in comparison to the rest of the album, which was as superb as Powerslave.

Don't even have any other Maiden in my collection anymore: don't need any. Don't even miss Number of The Beast. Long as I have Powerslave and Piece Of Mind, it's all good.

Tiki-Tom
08-31-2006, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by Terry
For me, Powerslave was the band at their absolute peak.

Just a thoroughly excellent album from start to finish. The band was fuckin' COOKING on that one.

Long as I have Powerslave and Piece Of Mind, it's all good.

Could not have said it better myself !!!!
Superior quality metal all the way. Bands just don't record'um like that much these days.

binnie
08-31-2006, 03:43 AM
Powerslave grows on me everytime I hear it!!

Found it an odd for many years, but now I love it....

MERRYKISSMASS2U
08-31-2006, 03:51 AM
I never liked Maiden because Dickenson did his annoying wail every five seconds. The song "Seventh Son of a Seventh Son" is fucking unbearable.

binnie
08-31-2006, 03:59 AM
There are a lot of people who don't like Dickinson, but I love Maiden!!

I suppose it's one of those love/hate things....

MERRYKISSMASS2U
08-31-2006, 04:10 AM
I get so fucking pissed off when Geoff Tate is compared to Dickinson.

Geoff Tate is a classically trained singer.

Dickinson is a wailer.

I can't wait to see if the Three Tremors project will ever see the light of day, though.

binnie
08-31-2006, 04:13 AM
Between Dickinson, Tate and Halford, it's a difficult choice.......

Tate is the most versatile without question.

I would say Dickinson wins out on power though....

But together it would be cool

MERRYKISSMASS2U
08-31-2006, 04:17 AM
Between Dickinson, Tate and Halford, it's a difficult choice.......

Tate is the most versatile without question.

I would say Dickinson wins out on power though....

But together it would be cool

Dickinson: Ruhuhuhuhnhnhn tooooooooo thehhhhhh hillllsssssssssss!

Tate: I'm smiling next to you in silent lucidity.

Tate knows how to control his wail and his high notes. Sorry to say this, but I think that Dickinson would spoil the project.

Tiki-Tom
08-31-2006, 08:02 AM
Dickinson is the perfect METAL singer.

Tate and his classically trained ass should go join an opera.
By his own admission, he hates metal, anyway. Then again, I guess it depends on which day you ask him. Probably doesn't say things like that out loud when he's cashing paychecks. But wait, we ARE talking about Geoff Tate, so yeah he probably would say, much like Dickinson I might add, "Fuck you" while taking your money.

BTW, this is coming from a longtime QR fan.

Terry
08-31-2006, 08:17 PM
Think Dickinson is a superb singer, meself - but I can see where if you don't dig his "air siren" wail how his style would get annoying very quickly.

MERRYKISSMASS2U
08-31-2006, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by Terry
Think Dickinson is a superb singer, meself - but I can see where if you don't dig his "air siren" wail how his style would get annoying very quickly.

I wouldn't be so annoying if he didn't overdo it.

mako_kimura
09-01-2006, 10:58 AM
Well, I guess I could understand why you wouldn't like Bruce's wail. I think it's good where it needs to be, which is why I like the song Wasted Years, minimal sirenage. By the way, kissmass, you must change favorite bands like underwear, cause you moved from Megadeth to Russian music, to Queensryche

Mr Badguy
09-01-2006, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by mako_kimura
By the way, kissmass, you must change favorite bands like underwear, cause you moved from Megadeth to Russian music, to Queensryche

:rofl:

Tiki-Tom
09-01-2006, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by MERRYKISSMASS2U
I wouldn't be so annoying if he didn't overdo it.

Does that mean if I get Bruce to stop, you'll stop being annoying? :D