PDA

View Full Version : Concerts you wish you could have seen?

Mr Badguy
08-16-2006, 07:57 AM
If you could go to any concert ever, which would it be?

I would have loved to have seen Pink Floyd`s "The Wall" show where they built the wall across the front of the stage.

That must have been one of the best shows ever.

Also Alice Cooper`s "Welcome to my nightmare" show in `75.

Jimmy Jingles
08-16-2006, 10:13 AM
CVH Oakland '81

or

US Fest '83

Hardrock69
08-16-2006, 11:25 AM
Any Hendrix

Any Led Zeppelin

Any Janis Joplin

Any Cream

Monterey Pop Fest '67

Woodstock

Pink Floyd in the 70s

MORE Judas Priest shows

MORE CVH shows

I am sure I could name others, but the above pretty much covers it.

Jimmy Jingles
08-16-2006, 11:44 AM
Also would have loved to catch SRV when he was alive.

ALMOSTsaved
08-16-2006, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by Jimmy Jingles
Also would have loved to catch SRV when he was alive.

You've seen him dead? ;) J/K...

For me it would've been (and there's too many to list but these are the standouts):

KISS on the "Alive II" tour...

Def Leppard "Pyromania" tour. I went to Styx "Kilroy" tour instead...stellar acting by Shaw, Deyoung and Young! :rolleyes:

More CVH shows & tours...

Hendrix

Joplin

The Beatles

Ozzy / Motley 1984 Tour

More RATT shows on the "Dancing Undercover" tour. Great show!

There are many, many more!

VAN HLN CA
08-16-2006, 12:14 PM
Luckily Ive seen everyone I really wanted except for any Led Zep and like Mr Bad would have loved to see 'the Wall' or Animals PF tour.

Aerosmith is the only active band I havent seen and will finally get to on Crue tour. I hate modern Aerosmith but up to Night in the Ruts loved those Bastardz. Had the Live double 8-track a favorite--the tour should be great since they say they went into the vaults----please cryin, get a grip shit isnt bad its just sappy compared to anything pre-Permanent Vacation.

binnie
08-16-2006, 03:27 PM
Led Zep around 1971 at the Albert Hall (I think it was '71)

Hendrix at the Isle of White

Van Halen at the US Fest.

Metallica at Milton Keynes Bowl in 1993 (I fuckin missed that due to illness, ended up hearing it live on the radio - fucking awesome show)

SRV at any gig.

ACDC at the Manchester Apollo in the late 70's (my dad went, said it was phenomenal.)

Guns n Roses at London Marquee (1987, I think)

Aerosmith at their peak in the 70's.

That's off the top of my head......

Mr. Vengeance
08-16-2006, 04:21 PM
I've actually been able to see most of my favorites, although it would have been nice to see some of these bands in their prime. Some obvious ones would have been the US Festival, Woodstock, even the Stones at Altamont, just to have been there to see the chaos first hand.

I would have loved to have seen the Doors way back then.

Hendrix obvioulsy.

Elvis. Beatles.

Buddy Holly.

MC5

Mr. Vengeance
08-16-2006, 04:22 PM
James Brown, Live at the Apollo

Shaun Ponsonby
08-16-2006, 04:47 PM
Queen

CVH

US FEST 1983

Pink Floyd...anytime, anywhere

The Doors (in Miami!)

James Brown in his prime

Michael Jackson when he was black

Probably some more...

Va Beach VH Fan
08-16-2006, 05:12 PM
Geez, just one ??

How about 4....

Zep

Queen

Elvis

Beatles

Terry
08-16-2006, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by binnie
Led Zep around 1971 at the Albert Hall (I think it was '71)

Hendrix at the Isle of White

Van Halen at the US Fest.

Metallica at Milton Keynes Bowl in 1993 (I fuckin missed that due to illness, ended up hearing it live on the radio - fucking awesome show)

SRV at any gig.

ACDC at the Manchester Apollo in the late 70's (my dad went, said it was phenomenal.)

Guns n Roses at London Marquee (1987, I think)

That's off the top of my head......

Agreed on all

Va Beach VH Fan
08-16-2006, 09:45 PM

Ya know, a lot of times, when I talk to the younger folks, they always ask what music I was into in my teens...

And I always bring up the groups that were so hungry when they first started out, but may be better known nowadays for their popular hits...

Aerosmith is one of the best examples of that...

I mention Aerosmith to them, and they're like, "yeah, Jamie's Got a Gun", and I'm like, "FUCK NO, fuck that crap.... I'm talking the entire Rocks album, I'm talking Rats in the Cellar, I'm talking about Live Bootleg, THAT'S fucking Aerosmith"....

rustoffa
08-16-2006, 10:15 PM
Thin Lizzy....back in the day.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qhtgxS6z9yo"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qhtgxS6z9yo" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Oh hell yeah!

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3B2EPvkAtSs"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3B2EPvkAtSs" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

binnie
08-17-2006, 04:17 AM
Originally posted by Terry
Agreed on all

HA HA!!

Now all we need is a time machine!

Matt White
08-17-2006, 08:22 AM
KISS COBO HALL 1976

ZEPPELIN

SABBATH...when they were on ACID

BITEYOASS
08-17-2006, 10:45 AM
Well since I wasn't even a teenager when most of my favorite bands were around, I'll have to be realistic here:

Lalapalooza

Woodstock 94' & 99'

The Family Values tour

Pantera

Metallica before they sucked

Nirvana

Stone Temple Pilots

Alice In Chains

Red Hot Chilli Peppers

Lake Havasu during spring break in the late 90's (Yeah it's not a concert but it's fuckin fun!)

Andrew W.K.

Electric Six

Hell I could go on and on.....

Hardrock69
08-17-2006, 01:41 PM
Just to be nitpicky, it is "Isle Of Wight".
:cool:

binnie
08-21-2006, 05:06 AM
Alice in Chains would be on my list too.....

And STP...

Hardrock69
08-21-2006, 11:33 AM
I saw their very last gig when they opened for Kiss in Kansas City in the mid-90s...

bastardog
08-21-2006, 12:05 PM
Any Iron Maiden from Powerslave to Seven Son of a Seven son

Ozzys Diary of a Madman

Any Classic Van Halen....specially 1984

Black Sabbath with Dion on Dehumanizer

Any from Panthera.....specially from Cowboys from hell. They even come to Puerto Rico once.....but I was working that day...fucking job!!!!

Dave with Vai on EEAS

Any Metallica with Cliff.......before they became gays.

binnie
08-21-2006, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by Hardrock69
I saw their very last gig when they opened for Kiss in Kansas City in the mid-90s...

Any good?

Cato
08-22-2006, 07:29 AM
Johnny Winter And
Jeff Beck with Jan Hammer
The Allman Brothers Band with Duane

Shaun Ponsonby
08-22-2006, 09:36 AM
I wish I had gone to see BB Kings farewell tour as well.

Also, Buddy Guy played with Jeff Beck this year.

binnie
08-22-2006, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by Shaun Ponsonby

Also, Buddy Guy played with Jeff Beck this year.

Really, I'd have sold one of my kidneys to have seen that!!

Shaun Ponsonby
08-22-2006, 10:00 AM
Yea, they did the Liverpool Summer Pops, along with Whitesnake, The Who, The Darkness, James Brown and a few other superstars.

blueturk
08-23-2006, 06:41 PM
Any show from Alice Cooper's "Killer" tour or Thin Lizzy in 1978....

FORD
08-24-2006, 04:14 AM
Beatles
Led Zeppelin
Doors
The REAL Who
Pink Floyd (apart from 20 minutes on TV last year)
Ac/Dc with Bon
Rolling Stones with Brian Jones
Rolling Stones with Mick Taylor
Queen
The Clash
Generation X
Sweet
The REAL Lynyrd Skynyrd
Grateful Dead
The Beach Boys (with all the Wilson brothers alive and Brian on stage)
Chicago (original lineup)

binnie
08-24-2006, 06:20 AM
Chicago and Generation X are interesting choices Ford....

Do they have much live DVD footage out?

Shaun Ponsonby
08-24-2006, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by FORD

The REAL Who

Can you see the real who?
Can ya? Can ya?

FORD
08-24-2006, 09:10 AM
Chicago and Generation X are interesting choices Ford....

Do they have much live DVD footage out?

None that I'm aware of. Generation X has a couple of live albums out, but no video footage that I know of. Even most of what you find on YouTube (see the 70's thread) is TV appearances rather than actual concert footage, so who knows if they ever played live with cameras running.

As for Chicago, the DVD's available of them would probably be the later lineups and not worth watching, unless you're a horn player and that's the reason you got into the band to begin with. In fact, that Chicago video I put in the 60's thread was about the only thing I could find online from the original band.

Eyes of the Night
08-24-2006, 08:00 PM
Any through 78-84 ...

=VH=

Coyote
08-24-2006, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by Eyes
Any through 78-84 ...

=VH=

That, plus:

Thin Lizzy (circa "Live & Dangerous" )
ZZ Top (Pre '90s)
Pantera
Def Leppard (circa 80's)
Deep Purple before "Burn"
Bon Scott-era AC/DC
Devo
Led Zep
Rainbow (with Dio, natch)
UFO ("Lights Out" period)
Queen
Blue Öyster Cult (mid 70's)
Hanoi Rocks (early 80's)

blonddgirl777
08-24-2006, 11:04 PM
Bob Marley,
Jimmy Hendrix,
Iggy Pop,
David Bowie (in the 70's),
KISS (in the 70's),
Elvis,
Queen,
I had tickets to see Led. Zep. in MTL in 1980 (or 81)? but Bonham died about a month before...
Others I might forget?

Besides that, I've seen pretty much everything I wanted to see...

binnie
08-25-2006, 03:47 AM
Originally posted by blonddgirl777

And you will still prob be able to see Iggy!!

blonddgirl777
08-25-2006, 11:17 AM
And you will still prob be able to see Iggy!!

No thanks!
I like the whole 70's crazy era...
Now that's he's 100 years old... it doesn't do it for me :o

Jérôme Frenchise
08-25-2006, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by Eyes
Any through 78-84 ...

=VH=

Ditto! I'd trade all the gigs I've been to for any of CVH's.

Besides, the other bands I'd have liked to see live were 1) The Who (between 1968 and 71), the J. Geils Band (71-76), Led Zeppelin (69-70, but well, whenever would have made it too of course), AC/DC (1978), King Crimson (73-74), the Stones (Brussels, 1973; I saw them in Paris in 1990, but even back then I thought I'd rather have seen them in their golden years), Hendrix, Janis Joplin (any time), Ike & Tina (in the 60s), Jacques Brel (any time), CCR, Rory Gallagher (in the 70s), the Scorpions (74-78), Deep Purple (70-73), Jeff Beck (68-69), the Faces...

Jérôme Frenchise
08-25-2006, 11:28 AM
No thanks!
I like the whole 70's crazy era...
Now that's he's 100 years old... it doesn't do it for me :o

I saw Iggy with the Stooges last summer in Colmar (Alsace), and it was really, really great. Don't fail going to see them whenever they play in Montreal - or anywhere else.
Iggy will be 60 next year, but he still kicks major ass. He's got a very big hip problem, though (he nearly walks like an orangutan. :eek:

blonddgirl777
08-25-2006, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by Jérôme Frenchise
... He's got a very big hip problem, though (he nearly walks like an orangutan. :eek:

L.M.A.O...
Oups! It's not funny... :(

blonddgirl777
08-25-2006, 11:37 AM
Ditto! I'd trade all the gigs I've been to for any of CVH's.

Montréal 1984... THAT was the best! (for me).
Did I tell you already that I was in the center 4th row and on the video, I think I can see myself as my friend was holding me on his shoulders?
I am sooooo proud of that! :D

NightProwler
08-25-2006, 11:42 AM
Bob Marley,
Jimmy Hendrix,
Iggy Pop,
David Bowie (in the 70's),
KISS (in the 70's),
Elvis,
Queen,
I had tickets to see Led. Zep. in MTL in 1980 (or 81)? but Bonham died about a month before...
Others I might forget?

John Bonham died September 25, 1980.

RIP

Jérôme Frenchise
08-25-2006, 11:45 AM
Montréal 1984... THAT was the best! (for me).
Did I tell you already that I was in the center 4th row and on the video, I think I can see myself as my friend was holding me on his shoulders?
I am sooooo proud of that! :D

Yes, now I remember. How come I still don't have a copy of that one, all the more so as it's known as one of the best you can find among the gigs that were entirely filmed.
I've got to get the 1984 Montreal show no later than now! :)

blonddgirl777
08-25-2006, 11:49 AM
Yes, now I remember. How come I still don't have a copy of that one, all the more so as it's known as one of the best you can find among the gigs that were entirely filmed.
I've got to get the 1984 Montreal show no later than now! :)

The one we have is very dark and the sound sucks.
Also, I assume that I see myself there but it's hard to know for sure since almost everybody had big the D.L.R. teased hair back then... That, or a mullet... L.O.L.

Jérôme Frenchise
08-25-2006, 12:03 PM
The one we have is very dark and the sound sucks.

I hope it isn't the one I'm loading. :eek:

Also, I assume that I see myself there but it's hard to know for sure since almost everybody had big the D.L.R. teased hair back then... That, or a mullet... L.O.L.

:D Mullets...

BTW, I couldn't have cared less about seeing Bowie at the beginning of his carreer (even in the following years).

Oh, I forgot to include Charlebois in the artists I would have like to see. I mean, I saw him on stage 2 years ago, and at the age of 60 he still rocks like mad.
I wish I had seen him in the 70s (I remember watching him live at "Le Palais des Sports" towards the end of the 70s, and his show was awesome! :cool:

blonddgirl777
08-25-2006, 12:06 PM
I hope it isn't the one I'm loading. :eek:...

I think it's the only one you can get... but I'm really not sure about that.
You'll see...

blonddgirl777
08-25-2006, 12:08 PM
... Charlebois in the artists I would have like to see. I mean, I saw him on stage 2 years ago, and at the age of 60 he still rocks like mad.

He just gave an outside concert in my neighborhood it's a festival called "Le Festiblues"...
His big face was on the front page of our local paper...
Now he literally looks like a sharpey! But still the legendary affro. hair.

Jérôme Frenchise
08-25-2006, 07:57 PM
I think it's the only one you can get... but I'm really not sure about that.
You'll see...

I trust you of course... Too bad though. :(

Jérôme Frenchise
08-25-2006, 08:16 PM
He just gave an outside concert in my neighborhood it's a festival called "Le Festiblues"...
His big face was on the front page of our local paper...
Now he literally looks like a sharpey! But still the legendary affro. hair.

Don't mock my mate Robert! ;)
-------------------------------
Oh, I think I've got another answer to the original question...
I wish I could have been at the Monterrey Pop Festival in 1967 at the point when Jimi, Eric, John Lennon and Brian Jones were jamming under the stage... :cool:

vaijuju
09-19-2009, 12:50 PM
Jimi Hendrix (fillmore east 12/31/1969 and 01/01/1970)
Van Halen (US Festival 1983 and a show in my town "Caen" June 1980)
Any Jeff Buckley

Anonymous
09-19-2009, 01:18 PM
Well, they broke up when I was 4, so... yeah, any Van Halen concert. I know, they've toured last year, and may tour again, but I wanted to see one from the olden days.

Helloween with Michael Kiske. Too bad he's so fucked up nowadays. Can still sing better than anyone else, though.

Virgin Steele.

Also, that Manowar concert where they had all the members past & present on stage.

Cheers! :bottle:

sadaist
09-19-2009, 04:09 PM
This is a tough on because what was a great show to one person might be lame to another. And for shows I missed, all I have are really bad, old recordings, or someone elses take. But here are a few.

Van Halen 1984 - San Diego Sports Arena. Loved the album, but was too young to go to concerts. My brother went and had fourth row. Unfortunately, he remembers very little.

The Doors - Los Angeles, any show at the Whiskey. Just to see it once...good or bad.

US Festival 1983 - San Bernardino, CA. Actually would have liked to have been at all 3 days.

The Beatles - Jack Murphy Stadium. Sorry, don't remember the year. It was the only time they played in San Diego and it was only 5 songs. But from the reports, the city was bursting at the seams in excitement.

Slayer - 1989, Iguanas night club, Tijuana, Mexico. Forget why I missed this one, but a bunch of my friends went and still talk about that night to this day. Argh!

Va Beach VH Fan
09-19-2009, 08:34 PM
Van Halen 1984 - San Diego Sports Arena. Loved the album, but was too young to go to concerts. My brother went and had fourth row. Unfortunately, he remembers very little.

I was there, check the avatar....

Blackflag
09-19-2009, 09:11 PM
It's always going to be SRV / Jeff Beck double bill.

Blackflag
09-19-2009, 09:27 PM
Beatles and Hendrix of course. And these which I missed because I was too young at the time; or I lived in a bad part of town, so it wasn't safe to be out at night; or I had homework/school/exam the next day. :(

The Misfits with either of the lineups: Danzig-Jerry Only-Doyle-Robo; Danzig-Jerry Only-Doyle-Arthur Googy in 1980s
Danzig with guests Soundgarden
Any Sex Pistols show prior to the breakup
Black Sabbath with guests the Ramones
Black Sabbath with guests Van Halen
Ramones with guests Black Flag
Beastie Boys with guests Rollins Band
Ozzy Osbourne with guests Metallica

Look, I'm sorry, but every one of those sucks, except Ramones and me.

I'm just keeping it real. :(

Blackflag
09-19-2009, 09:33 PM
As far as I know, I'm the only one... But I'm definitely not an Ozzy / Black Sabbath fan...at all.

The only good thing Ozzy did in his entire life was shepherd Brad Gillis on to greatness.

sadaist
09-19-2009, 09:35 PM
Ozzy Osbourne with guests Metallica

Ah yes. I made it to that show by the skin of my teeth. Metallica with Cliff on Master Of Puppets. Ozzy on Ultimate Sin when Shot In The Dark was getting tons of MTV play. Jake E. Lee at his very best. Excellent show for both bands.

hideyoursheep
09-21-2009, 06:42 AM
Hendrix in 68..

The Butthole Surfers.

(no ButtFag, it's a band, not a sport.)

ZahZoo
09-21-2009, 11:30 AM
Missed Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon tour because my buddy's mom was driving us there and the car broke down and caught fire on the side of the highway. Also missed their In the Flesh tour in 77 which featured most of Animals.

Other than that... not many I regret not seeing. I got to see most listed here with the exception of Elvis and the Beatles.

Igosplut
09-21-2009, 12:16 PM
Saw a whole pile of concerts over the years. VH back in the day, about five AC/DC with Bon, and even caught the Ramones at CBGBs.

Now if only I could remember them all......

ZahZoo
09-21-2009, 12:49 PM
I got to see the Ramones a couple of times and the Sex Pistols and other punk bands back then. My buddies thought I was nuts, but I was dating this girl who was a die-hard punk... she was a hell of a lot more fun than my buds!!

Igosplut
09-21-2009, 01:16 PM
Yea, I wish I could have taken in the Pistols, but they never came close enough.

I've seen the Ramones about three times (they came to the Cape Cod coliseum with the B52s twice) But when I say I saw them at CBGBs people like to think it was a hallowed thing. Besides being young, it was no more than a blast in a smelly hole. The place might have been rich with history, but at that point it was just a Bowery dump (they still kept the dogs inside there during the day then)

Point being, when your young, you almost never get the sense that history is being made in front of your eyes. Your too busy getting fucked up, and trying to get laid to worry about what it might mean in ten/twenty years. Especially when the drinking age was 18, and the contrast of ten years is ten years ago then you were sitting in front of a TV watching cartoons and drinking milk....

sadaist
09-21-2009, 01:41 PM
Hendrix in 68..

The Butthole Surfers.

(no ButtFag, it's a band, not a sport.)

Oh shit! Didn't they have a single called Shark Attack?

Kristy
09-21-2009, 02:20 PM
The Who - probably in the early seventies between 1971 - 1974.

The Rolling Stones - in 1978

Buddy Holly - anytime he was alive

Bill Haley & The Comets - ditto

The Everly Brothers - in the early sixties.

Miles Davis in 1958

Sisters Of Mercy - in 1987 or 88

and...

Cinderella - also back in 88 so I could throw things at them and call them harsh names.

Anonymous
09-21-2009, 02:43 PM
I got to see the Ramones a couple of times and the Sex Pistols and other punk bands back then. My buddies thought I was nuts, but I was dating this girl who was a die-hard punk... she was a hell of a lot more fun than my buds!!

Well, the punk rock of the Ramones - who're credited of having "invented" it - was fun stuff... better than the so called "punk" nowadays. Though there are still some good punk bands.

The bestest from the nineties came from Brazil & Portugal, though... Top shite.

Yea, I wish I could have taken in the Pistols, but they never came close enough.

I've seen the Ramones about three times (they came to the Cape Cod coliseum with the B52s twice) But when I say I saw them at CBGBs people like to think it was a hallowed thing. Besides being young, it was no more than a blast in a smelly hole. The place might have been rich with history, but at that point it was just a Bowery dump (they still kept the dogs inside there during the day then)

Point being, when your young, you almost never get the sense that history is being made in front of your eyes. Your too busy getting fucked up, and trying to get laid to worry about what it might mean in ten/twenty years. Especially when the drinking age was 18, and the contrast of ten years is ten years ago then you were sitting in front of a TV watching cartoons and drinking milk....

It's often the case with what people considered "hallowed". It's always very far from the romantic notion, years later, of people who hear about it, but were never there.

I still'd have loved to hang out at that place way back then. 'Cuz you see, I WAS hanging out at a dump, getting wasted when I was 14-18. The difference is, we didn't have live music.

Bet that when you look back on it now, you're glad you were there, though. Even if it wasn't as romantic as people would like to believe.

Coyote
09-21-2009, 03:00 PM
Van Halen 1979-1982

Queen pre-Live Aid

ZZ Top pre-Eliminator

UFO with Schenker

Thin Lizzy

Ratt '84-'87

AC/DC Powerage-era

Cheap Trick

Def Leppard '83

Focus, early 70's

Zappa

Parliament/Funkadelic

Hanoi Rocks (I'm still kicking myself for NOT seeing one the last shows in Helsinki...)

Hendrix at the Marquee

KISS (pre-80's)

Zeppelin mid-70's

The Jacksons Victory tour

The Tubes

Igosplut
09-21-2009, 03:02 PM
Bet that when you look back on it now, you're glad you were there, though. Even if it wasn't as romantic as people would like to believe.

Yea, I'm glad I got the opportunity to see as many as I did, that's for sure.

I wish I would have payed more attention to what the place looked like inside (I was just there that once) than just remembering how bad certain aspects were. But again, If you didn't see them (or in CBs) there was always another night. Now of course "another night" never comes in many cases, but what teenager really thinks of that? Fuck, we were all gonna live forever.....

Hardrock69
09-21-2009, 03:47 PM
Any good?

Haha....I am answering this question 3 years late! :D

Yeah they were. I have even seen a bootleg of this show around on the net in recent times.

Kristy
09-21-2009, 03:57 PM
Oh, and Frank Sinatra at The Sands in Vegas 1966. Be a two-for-one deal considering The Chairman Of The Board was touring with Count Basie at the time*

*hardly qualifies as a "rock" concert but this is Frank we're talking about.

Guitar Shark
09-21-2009, 04:50 PM
Oh, and Frank Sinatra at The Sands in Vegas 1966. Be a two-for-one deal considering The Chairman Of The Board was touring with Count Basie at the time*

*hardly qualifies as a "rock" concert but this is Frank we're talking about.

No disclaimer required, IMO. While not technically "rock", Sinatra embodied the essence of rock 'n' roll. Many, many amazing tracks. The Sinatra at the Sands live album is always a great listen.

hideyoursheep
09-22-2009, 03:46 AM
The Who - probably in the early seventies between 1971 - 1974. As long as it's not Dec 3 '79....:(