PDA

View Full Version : Right-Wing Pundits Slamming Bush

LoungeMachine
08-20-2006, 10:33 AM
Commentators ramp up Bush criticism

Seattle Times
August 20, 2006

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/politics/2003211788_bushconserv20.html

WASHINGTON — For 10 minutes, the talk-show host grilled his guests about whether "George Bush's mental weakness is damaging America's credibility at home and abroad." For 10 minutes, the caption across the bottom of the television screen read, "IS BUSH AN 'IDIOT'?"

But the host was no liberal media elitist. It was Joe Scarborough, a former Republican congressman turned MSNBC political commentator. And his answer to the captioned question was not "no."

While other presidents have been called stupid, he said: "I think George Bush is in a league by himself. I don't think he has the intellectual depth as these other people."

These have been tough days politically for President Bush, with his poll numbers mired in the 30s and Republican candidates distancing themselves as elections near. He can no longer even rely as much on once-friendly voices in the conservative media to stand by his side as some columnists and television commentators lose faith in his leadership and lose heart in the war in Iraq.

While most conservative media figures have not abandoned Bush, increasingly influential opinion-makers have raised questions, expressed doubts or attacked the president outright, particularly on foreign policy, on which he has long enjoyed their strongest support.

In some cases, they complained Bush had drifted away from their shared principles; in other cases they think it is the implementation that has fallen short. In most instances, Iraq figures prominently.

"Downward trajectory"

"Conservatives for a long time were in protective mode, wanting to emphasize the progress in Iraq to contrast what they felt was an unfair attack on the war by the Democrats and media and other sources," said Rich Lowry, editor of the National Review. "But there's more of a sense now that things are on a downward trajectory and more of a willingness to acknowledge it and pressure the administration to react to it."

Lowry's magazine offers a powerful example. "It is time to say it unequivocally: We are winning in Iraq," Lowry wrote in April 2005, chastising those who disagreed. This month, he published an editorial that concluded "success in Iraq seems more out of reach than it has at any time since the initial invasion three years ago" and assailed "the administration's on-again-off-again approach to Iraq."

"It is time for the Bush administration to acknowledge that its approach of assuring people that progress is being made and operating on that optimistic basis in Iraq isn't working," the editorial said.

Lowry followed up days later in his column, suggesting the United States is "losing, or at least not obviously winning, a major war" and asking whether Iraq is "Bush's Vietnam."

Conservative journalists have been more willing to break with Bush on domestic policy since last year's failed Supreme Court nomination of Harriet Miers triggered outrage on the right, but they had remained more loyal on foreign policy until lately. The White House has reacted with consternation at times.

Bush aides were bothered by a George Will column last week mocking neoconservative desires to transform the Middle East: "Foreign policy 'realists' considered Middle East stability the goal. The realists' critics, who regard realism as reprehensibly unambitious, considered stability the problem. That problem has been solved."

The White House responded with a 2,432-word rebuttal e-mailed to supporters and journalists, three times as long as the original column. "Mr. Will's kind of 'stability' and 'realism' — a kind of world-weary belief that nothing can be done and so nothing should be tried — would eventually lead to death and destruction on a scale that is almost unimaginable," wrote Peter Wehner, the White House strategic-initiatives director.

Bush advisers said they never counted Will or some others now voicing criticism as strong supporters but believe the president's political weakness has encouraged soft supporters and quiet skeptics to speak out.

William F. Buckley Jr., the founder of the National Review and an icon of the Ronald Reagan-era conservative movement, caused a stir earlier this year when he wrote that "our mission has failed" in Iraq, just a few months after Bush hosted a White House tribute to Buckley's 80th birthday and the magazine's 50th anniversary.

The New York Times' Thomas Friedman, who is not a conservative but has strongly backed the Iraq war, reversed course this month, writing " 'staying the course' is pointless, and it's time to start thinking about Plan B — how we might disengage with the least damage possible."

Critics rebutted

White House spokesman Tony Snow said the second-guessing was predictable given the difficulties in Iraq.

"It's hardly unusual in times of war that people get anxious and that would include people who have supported the president," he said. "The president understands that and is not fazed by it."

Snow said much of the frustration articulated by conservatives stems from a desire to accomplish Bush's ambitions. "The good thing is they all have the same goal; they all want to win the war on terror," he said.

Snow, who hosted a Fox Radio talk show before joining the White House in the spring, has made an effort to reach out to conservative audiences by appearing on his former competitors' programs, including shows hosted by Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity and Laura Ingraham. "We're certainly more engaged on that front," he said.

And some of the president's neoconservative supporters have fired back on his behalf. Norman Podhoretz, editor-at-large of Commentary magazine, wrote an 11,525-word essay this month rebutting Will, Buckley and other traditional conservatives and fellow neoconservatives who "have now taken to composing obituary notices of their own."

Fred Barnes, executive editor of The Weekly Standard and a reliable Bush supporter, said the disillusionment isn't surprising.

"People get weary, especially when they expected a war to be over very quickly," Barnes said. "Supporters fall off over time. I've been disappointed by some of the people who have fallen off, like George Will, but that's what happens."

Few struck a nerve lately more than Scarborough, who questioned the president's intelligence on his show, "Scarborough Country." He showed a montage of clips of Bush's famously inarticulate oral miscues and explored with guests John Fund and Lawrence O'Donnell whether he is smart enough to be president.

Scarborough concluded on the segment, "we do need a president who, I think, is intellectually curious. And that is a big question, whether George W. Bush has the intellectual curiousness — if that's a word — to continue leading this country over the next couple of years."

In a later interview, Scarborough said he aired the segment because he kept hearing even fellow Republicans questioning Bush's capacity and leadership, particularly in Iraq.

Like others, he said, he supported the war, but now believes it's time to find a way to get out.

"A lot of conservatives are saying, 'Enough's enough,' " Scarborough said. Asked about the reaction to his program, he said, "The White House is not happy about it."

LoungeMachine
08-20-2006, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by LoungeMachine

In a later interview, Scarborough said he aired the segment because he kept hearing even fellow Republicans questioning Bush's capacity and leadership, particularly in Iraq.

I'll bet he has......

Like others, he said, he supported the war, but now believes it's time to find a way to get out.

[/B]

Well, that right there is MORE than can be said for the BushBOTS in here......

"A lot of conservatives are saying, 'Enough's enough,' " Scarborough said. Asked about the reaction to his program, he said, "The White House is not happy about it."

[/B]

Don't accept any offers to ride on private planes with Joey, anytime soon folks
;)

ELVIS
08-20-2006, 11:28 AM
Well, I'm not a "BushBOT" and I agree with alot of this article, but on the other hand, I think alot of people underestimate the President...

Having said that, I think Bush's effectiveness has been choked off by liberal prerssure...

LoungeMachine
08-20-2006, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by ELVIS

Having said that, I think Bush's effectiveness has been choked off by liberal prerssure...

LMMFAO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, dumbass.....

The liberal prerssure [drinking early on the sabbath?] has choked off his effectiveness :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Don't forget to blame the media too, moron :rolleyes:

ELVIS
08-20-2006, 11:35 AM
And the media, too, moron...

Ellyllions
08-20-2006, 11:36 AM
I don't think he's an "idiot". I don't think any of our President's have been "idiots"....not even Nixon.

What I do believe is that we give the President way too much power. I think that we all see the office as the "most powerful person in the world"...which is NOT how our Constitution was written at all.

But giving that one person so much clout leads to a lot of undeserved blame.

I think Bush got fucked by France and that will ultimately be the way his Presidency will be remembered. Trusting too much in "allies" that have other unspeakable agendas....But it will be turned in such a way that it was Bush's fault.

During the whole Israel/Hezbollah war, the media acted like Georgie could stop it all by himself. When that turned out to be not to be the case, now he's all to blame.

LoungeMachine
08-20-2006, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by Ellyllions

What I do believe is that we give the President way too much power.

No. We don't "give" him too much power.

In fact, with checks and balances in place, we give him equal, or some might argue less power......

That's how the framers wanted it.

What we have today, is a pResident who TOOK too much power.

LoungeMachine
08-20-2006, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by Ellyllions
I don't think he's an "idiot".

Who?

ELVIS?

No, he is an idiot.

:cool:

Ellyllions
08-20-2006, 11:44 AM
Took too much power?

We shall soon see. I'm very interested in what the Supreme Court has to say about the Wire Tapping case that's headed their way.

The Judiciary branch of government is the only one I really put any stock in as being "honest"....

POJO_Risin
08-20-2006, 11:45 AM
Finally...

I'm sick of people toeing the line just because he happens to be a REPUBLICAN president.

backing a fucking idiot is just plain wrong.

And the true embarassment of this presidency is that the liberal "pressure" has been at best...bullshit. Any legitimate politician with anything more than 5 pounds of monkey crap in their head...would have absolutely decimated the democratic party this term. I've never seen a conglomerate of people more wishy washy and out of touch in my life. And it goes to show you how fucking IDIOTIC this guy is...to allow THAT to keep him from doing anything politically...

LoungeMachine
08-20-2006, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by POJO_Risin

And it goes to show you how fucking IDIOTIC this guy is...to allow THAT to keep him from doing anything politically...

Fuck.

exactly.:cool:

By the way, ELVIRA.......just how did the Liberal "prerssure" keep Bush from Immigration Reform, or Social Security Solvency?

ELVIS
08-20-2006, 11:57 AM
By the way, ELVIRA.......just how did the Liberal "prerssure" keep Bush from Immigration Reform

What does Immigration Reform mean to you ??

Ellyllions
08-20-2006, 11:58 AM
Boy did I walk into a hornets nest this morning or what.....

Are both you gentlemen hung over or something....LOL

FORD
08-20-2006, 12:33 PM
I'll bet he has......

Well, that right there is MORE than can be said for the BushBOTS in here......

Don't accept any offers to ride on private planes with Joey, anytime soon folks
;)

Maybe Jeb will decide it's time to investigate that "dead intern in the office" incident that Joey had a few years ago? The BCE hates it when people tell the truth about them. Even more when it's from those who were "supposed to be" loyal.

FORD
08-20-2006, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by ELVIS
Well, I'm not a "BushBOT" and I agree with alot of this article, but on the other hand, I think alot of people underestimate the President...

Liberal pressure from WHERE, exactly?

Certainly not from Congress. Not from the right wing judiciary who installed him in the first place. Not from the Whore Media.

Not even from the people, because the neocon cabal keeps the Chimp in his little bubble so he doesn't even SEE most of the hatred directed towards him and his fascist, sickening satanic policies. Think it's a coincidence that they have his monkey ass out of town everytime a huge protest takes place in DC?

They have actually kept Chimp under the illusion that the people believe in his bullshit. He doesn't read or watch TV (except for FAUX News, so it's not that difficult to do with someone of his limited mental capacity)

Hardrock69
08-21-2006, 10:04 AM
Liberal pressure has nothing to do with it.

Bush is an idiot.

He has broken FEDERAL LAW REPEATEDLY (not just with the NSA wiretap scheme), he has started a war in Iraq into which we are pouring $250,000,000 a DAY (and for WHAT? So our soldiers can continue to DIE for his idiotic bullshit?), he signs bills into law, and then releases a presidential "finding" saying he is not required to abide by the very laws he signs, he has ruined our standing with almost every country on Earth due to his fucked up foreign policy....he has fostered an environment in D.C. where all his cronies (and his goddamnable fuck of a vice-president) are siphoning off TRILLIONS of dollars into their own pockets......

He has claimed we need to secure our borders and fight "terrists", while NOT doing a fucking thing to stop illegal immigration, he has withdrawn forces in AssRamistan who previously were searching for Osama Bin Laden....

Need I go on?

GEORGE W. BUSH IS A TERRORIST OF THE HIGHEST ORDER WHO IS DESTROYING THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA AND MUST BE REMOVED FROM OFFICE AND PROSECUTED FOR HIS CRIMES!!!!
:mad: :mad: :mad:

ODShowtime
08-21-2006, 10:27 AM
and he's a bum in the first place.