• Show
Clear All
  • LoungeMachine
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jul 2004

Good-Bye Iraqi Democracy

Harry Shearer: Buried Lede Department--Goodbye, Democracy Harry Shearer
    Fri Aug 18, 11:33 AM ET

EDINBURGH--Thursday's NYT ran a story the lede of which was newsworthy enough, perhaps:

The number of roadside bombs planted in Iraq rose in July to the highest monthly total of the war, offering more evidence that the anti-American insurgency has continued to strengthen despite the killing of the terrorist leader Abu Musab al-Zarqawi.

Of course, as Donald Rumsfeld likes to say, those are only numbers. And you can only use the numbers you have.

But buried right at the end of the three-byline piece are three paragraphs that seem to me to be distinctly newsworthy, especially coming in the wake of the "Bush frustrated" stories early this week.

Yet some outside experts who have recently visited the White House said Bush administration officials were beginning to plan for the possibility that Iraq's democratically elected government might not survive.

"Senior administration officials have acknowledged to me that they are considering alternatives other than democracy," said one military affairs expert who received an Iraq briefing at the White House last month and agreed to speak only on condition of anonymity.

"Everybody in the administration is being quite circumspect," the expert said, "but you can sense their own concern that this is drifting away from democracy."

On its own, this information is striking: the last line of defense for the Iraq war, after WMD and connection to 9/11 crumbled, was the push for a democratic Middle East. If the centerpiece of that premise, Iraq, is to be consigned to "alternatives other than democracy"--i.e., a new Saddam to hold the fractious non-country together--that would seem to be big news. Combined with the "Bush frustrated" stories, it tells us something else: people high in the administration are beginning to leak like sieves. Can the circular firing squad be far behind?

Originally posted by Kristy
    Dude, what in the fuck is wrong with you? I'm full of hate and I do drugs.
    Originally posted by cadaverdog
    I posted under aliases and I jerk off with a sock. Anything else to add?
  • ELVIS
    Banned
    • Dec 2003

Does this make you happy ??

Comment

• LoungeMachine
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Jul 2004

Originally posted by ELVIS
      Does this make you happy ??

No, it makes me right.

Comment

• Ellyllions
        Veteran
        • Mar 2006

I believe that it's very clear that any kind of democracy in the Middle East is a lost cause. I'm afraid that it really is a different world with a different mind-set than the rest of the world.

The difficult part is admitting that. If the Terrorists value wins and losses differently than we do then we have to be careful how we handle ending operations over there. Every little empowerment we allow them leads to more violence. And I think we've found that they see everything as empowerment...to the extreme being death.

It's a sad cituation to be sure. But have we learned anything. Obviously the French have learned nothing but how to keep in the game....
        "If our country is worth dying for in time of war let us resolve that it is truly worth living for in time of peace." - Hamilton Fish

Comment

• ELVIS
          Banned
          • Dec 2003

Yeah, a very "sad cituation"...

Comment

• LoungeMachine
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Jul 2004

Yeah, a very "sad cituation"...

Having said that, I think Bush's effectiveness has been choked off by liberal prerssure...
            You're in no position to call out this shit today, moron.

prerssure ????

Fucking idiot

Comment

• LoungeMachine
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Ellyllions
              I believe that it's very clear that any kind of democracy in the Middle East is a lost cause. I'm afraid that it really is a different world with a different mind-set than the rest of the world.

The difficult part is admitting that.

The Neo-Con BushBOTS in here will NEVER admit defeat.

NEVER

Comment

• Ellyllions
                Veteran
                • Mar 2006

Well, I'm not sure that it is "defeat"(by definition) but it will most definitely be seen that way from the Extremeist POV.

I honestly believe that if the Extremeists were successful in running the Jews out of Israel and claiming it for their own...they'd still have a battle to fight but with each other.

They keep the Palestinians as the "pity card" on their own accord. Which means that while Hezbollah is handing out $12,000 in cash to each family who suffered a loss in Lebanon, they're doing NOTHING to aid the Palestinians just so they can keep them as their "excuses" for Arab inflamation.
                "If our country is worth dying for in time of war let us resolve that it is truly worth living for in time of peace." - Hamilton Fish

Comment

• ELVIS
                  Banned
                  • Dec 2003

Originally posted by LoungeMachine
                  You're in no position to call out this shit today, moron.

prerssure ????

Fucking idiot

Fucking pussy, fag, dumbass, dickhead, motherfucker, piece of shit, big baby, Mr. Know-it-All, Liberal Dumbocrat, Mr Cheese, fool, ass wipe, blah blah blah...

LMAO!

Comment

• LoungeMachine
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Jul 2004

Fucking pussy, fag, dumbass, dickhead, motherfucker, piece of shit, big baby, Mr. Know-it-All, Liberal Dumbocrat, Mr Cheese, fool, ass wipe, blah blah blah...

LMAO!
                    Ladies and Gentlemen.....

Mr. Christian on The Sabbath.

Going to church today and beg forgiveness for this?

Comment

• ELVIS
                      Banned
                      • Dec 2003

No, I'm going to the Grand Canyon...

Comment

• ELVIS
                        Banned
                        • Dec 2003

I thought you might enjoy this, Lounge...

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ihAoSwQqo44"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ihAoSwQqo44" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Comment

• Ellyllions
                          Veteran
                          • Mar 2006

Ah, no wonder you did all that cursing earlier.

I was cursing after the first minute of that video too.

Comment

• FORD
                            ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

It's just a fucking tragedy that nearly 3,000 Americans, and over 100,000 Iraqis had to die, and this country had to go bankrupt in order to find out that Saddam Hussein really wasn't doing a bad job after all.
                            Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• ELVIS
                              Banned
                              • Dec 2003

Well his little cat and Mouse game with the US failed...

Comment

Working...